PDA

View Full Version : Griffen's last month of footy

Scorlibo
12-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Credit where credit's due, Griff has been very good over the last four games, and I feel that he is making a lot of progress in understanding what it is to be a midfielder. He averages over the last 4 games:

25.3 Disposals
0.8 Goals
4.8 Tackles
107.8 Supercoach Ranking Points

Impressive numbers, keep it up Griff!

LostDoggy
12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah he has really improved over the last month.

Started off very well this season, then faded away a bit. Hopefully he is starting to hit form again, as we head into finals.

boydogs
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Good signs from Griff - finding more of the ball, good composure to come back on the right foot for the last goal on Friday night. Needs to keep improving, and work on his kicking a bit

1eyedog
12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
He appears to have a different role, or is playing different football. He is no longer breaking lines but IMO that is because he is getting boxed in more often and opposition players are wary of him breaking lines. They'd rather him dish it off than run and have a bounce. Fair enough. He has been working really hard to get his own ball and as the stats above testify to his defensive pressure has been very good.

craigsahibee
15-07-2009, 10:00 AM
His last qtr on friday against the Pies was super.

I must admit I enjoy watching him play and find it hard to be critical of him. Just a huge favourite of mine.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 10:54 AM
We love ya Griffo :) well.... I do anyway :D I'm a big Grifffen fan and think he's currently playing great footy.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I must admit I enjoy watching him play and find it hard to be critical of him. Just a huge favourite of mine.

Agreed. Griff in full flight is a beautiful thing.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Agreed. Griff in full flight is a beautiful thing.

Ditto - you won't get any argument from me. When he breaks the lines and runs and carries the ball, he is amazing to watch. NB: Is it me, or is he getting caught more often than he used to? I was always confident once he got the ball, no-one would catch him, but I'm sure he got tackled hard Friday night and was paid holding the ball? I hate seeing that :mad:

Mofra
15-07-2009, 01:11 PM
...but I'm sure he got tackled hard Friday night and was paid holding the ball? I hate seeing that :mad:
I really don't mind it too much - I'd rather our guys playing risky football and make the odd error rather than play safe. Playing safe wont help us against the top sides.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I really don't mind it too much - I'd rather our guys playing risky football and make the odd error rather than play safe. Playing safe wont help us against the top sides.

True, I just said I hate seeing that cause I love the way Griff plays, and hate hearing him and seeing him jeered at by opposing supporters! (I'm female remember, so I care :o)

Go_Dogs
15-07-2009, 01:17 PM
NB: Is it me, or is he getting caught more often than he used to? I was always confident once he got the ball, no-one would catch him, but I'm sure he got tackled hard Friday night and was paid holding the ball? I hate seeing that :mad:

Agreed. It comes down to a few things imo.

I'd like to see his team mates apply more blocks and shepards once Griff has received the ball, to create more space for him.

They also need to help him with his peripheial vision, give him the heads up when he has to dish it quickly, or when he can take off. Not an easy decision to make when you have a tagger on you, plus the entire opposition team instructed to attack you when you are carrying or looking to carry the ball. Sometimes he can't weight up his decision 100% and has to decide on the spot whether to go or not, and if he goes at the wrong time it can look very bad.

I generally think his awareness is OK - better than some other ball carries who are going around. He's generally one of our only guys who'll take the game on repeatedly, so he's bound to get caught a few more times than others.

soupman
15-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I generally think his awareness is OK - better than some other ball carries who are going around. He's generally one of our only guys who'll take the game on repeatedly, so he's bound to get caught a few more times than others.

But he is still prone to the odd Brian Lakish brain fart. An example was against Collingwood when he took the mark on the wing, saw the Collingwood player behind him about 5m away, turned around and then played on when the Collingwood player was right there so he was tackled and paid holding the ball. It was just such a stupid bit of play. I also dislike how he never uses his left, he's worse than Eagleton in this regard and it's becoming Scott Lucas like. He prefers to try to hit up targets on his right side by using the outside of his boot than using his left, which either means the kick goes astray or he gets smothered/tackled.

Stefcep
15-07-2009, 01:49 PM
But he is still prone to the odd Brian Lakish brain fart. An example was against Collingwood when he took the mark on the wing, saw the Collingwood player behind him about 5m away, turned around and then played on when the Collingwood player was right there so he was tackled and paid holding the ball. It was just such a stupid bit of play. I also dislike how he never uses his left, he's worse than Eagleton in this regard and it's becoming Scott Lucas like. He prefers to try to hit up targets on his right side by using the outside of his boot than using his left, which either means the kick goes astray or he gets smothered/tackled.
what about his set shots at goal? Or his delivery to the forwards after he has made that beautiful run?

Go_Dogs
15-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I also dislike how he never uses his left, he's worse than Eagleton in this regard and it's becoming Scott Lucas like. He prefers to try to hit up targets on his right side by using the outside of his boot than using his left, which either means the kick goes astray or he gets smothered/tackled.

At the same time, I've seen quite a few of those outside of the boot kicks come off and look very good.

Not sure what the issue is with his left - he has always been pretty highly regarded as a guy who can play off both sides of his body. Could it be knee related? Confidence related?

I'm going to keep an eye out for it over the next few weeks as quite a few have commented on it recently.

comrade
15-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I also dislike how he never uses his left, he's worse than Eagleton in this regard and it's becoming Scott Lucas like. He prefers to try to hit up targets on his right side by using the outside of his boot than using his left, which either means the kick goes astray or he gets smothered/tackled.

He's used his left a number of times in the past 3 weeks - unfortunately, most of them were at best ineffective, and at worst absolute shanks.

Hopefully, he's working hard to get it right, as I'd hate to see him become just a one-sided player.

soupman
15-07-2009, 08:23 PM
what about his set shots at goal? Or his delivery to the forwards after he has made that beautiful run?

This is another issue that temporarily slipped my mind. Why does he insist on trying to spear shots from 50m through the goals? It's always destined to fail.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Seen him do one or two errors that he really shouldn't do if he wants to be in the class of Judd/Ablett/etc.

Just on another quick note, I've been really disappointed with Cross' year so far...

The Pie Man
15-07-2009, 11:37 PM
This is another issue that temporarily slipped my mind. Why does he insist on trying to spear shots from 50m through the goals? It's always destined to fail.

It reminds me of Mark Alvey's kicks a little bit - more penetration, but not high enough.

Eade has mentioned on numerous occasions this year that he's happy with his performances and his tackling is much improved - stats for the last month would also suggest he's building....maybe I'm being harsh but he annoyed me Friday night, too casual with disposal and the lack of a left foot is a concern.

Hope he comes good and can tell me where to go - up and going, he's in the top 5 most exciting midfielders in the comp.

soupman
16-07-2009, 01:09 PM
To date he's been a tease so hopefully he can finally go from being a good player to the great-elite player he has the potential to be.

hujsh
17-07-2009, 08:41 PM
But he is still prone to the odd Brian Lakish brain fart.

How has no one picked this up so far?:D

The Coon Dog
18-07-2009, 12:56 AM
At times he just wants to do too much & gets caught.

GVGjr
18-07-2009, 12:59 AM

His skill level is down as well. Love his efforts but he should be more consistent.

bornadog
18-07-2009, 01:47 AM
I was sitting on level 1 row F just the near the interchange bench. In the last quarter when Griff kicked that long ball into the forward line and marked by Welsh, Griff came off and he was throwing up for a long time, eventually the doctor made him put his head between his knees. He did not look well.

AndrewP6
18-07-2009, 01:55 AM
He could be playing to instructions, but tonight he just looked silly a couple of times trying to beat players when he was never going to beat them. He needs to learn when to go and when to give. Did have some very good moments though.

Reading BAD's post, could go some way to explaining why he may be a bit off his game!

Scorlibo
18-07-2009, 02:18 AM
I was sitting on level 1 row F just the near the interchange bench. In the last quarter when Griff kicked that long ball into the forward line and marked by Welsh, Griff came off and he was throwing up for a long time, eventually the doctor made him put his head between his knees. He did not look well.

I'm pleased to hear that he's discovered gut running.

He could be playing to instructions, but tonight he just looked silly a couple of times trying to beat players when he was never going to beat them. He needs to learn when to go and when to give. Did have some very good moments though.

Reading BAD's post, could go some way to explaining why he may be a bit off his game!

All these calls of him taking too many on must have come from the first quarter, because I watched from the second quarter onwards and was applauding his improved efforts with the ball relative to last week.

AndrewP6
18-07-2009, 02:22 AM
All these calls of him taking too many on must have come from the first quarter, because I watched from the second quarter onwards and was applauding his improved efforts with the ball relative to last week.

Yeah maybe...I think generally he is doing that too much in games...

Go_Dogs
18-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I thought he kicked some very good balls last night, and even kicked a few on the left that went to the right spots.

Still made a couple of errors, but I thought he was a very good contributor and probably ended up just above Lovett.

soupman
18-07-2009, 05:17 PM

Yeah, he came off the bench in the second quarter and before he even made it to the centre square he threw up, before running to his position.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 05:50 PM
hehe yeah saw him throwing up. thats what happens when u run so hard for so long.

Mantis
18-07-2009, 06:53 PM
hehe yeah saw him throwing up. thats what happens when u run so hard for so long.

Any chance you might use a capital letter or the correct spelling of a word??

Text talk is for mobile phones.

wb_age
18-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Any chance you might use a capital letter or the correct spelling of a word??

Text talk is for mobile phones.
Perhaps he is on his mobile..

Mantis
18-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Perhaps he is on his mobile..

Poor excuse.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry. I was unaware that this forum had grammar nazi's ;)

I was on my iPod Touch when writing that message, which like you said, is not really an excuse. Although it is annoying having to change to capital and lower case and generally just typing.

Won't happen again.

hujsh
19-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry. I was unaware that this forum had grammar nazi's ;)

More per poster than any other forum.

bornadog
20-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, he came off the bench in the second quarter and before he even made it to the centre square he threw up, before running to his position.

I saw him in the last quarter throwing up.

I thought he kicked some very good balls last night, and even kicked a few on the left that went to the right spots.

Still made a couple of errors, but I thought he was a very good contributor and probably ended up just above Lovett.

His kicking for goal on the run has not been working for him. He had a couple of chances to kick some big goals, but they were very poor shots, compared to some of his big kicks he can do.

Go_Dogs
21-07-2009, 10:43 AM
His kicking for goal on the run has not been working for him. He had a couple of chances to kick some big goals, but they were very poor shots, compared to some of his big kicks he can do.

Yeah, that's one disappointing aspect but seeing his reaction after he missed, he was more angry than anyone. That's Griff's bread and butter, my initial impression was that he just didn't kick through the ball enough, but you are right, he's got the kick them.

LostDoggy
21-07-2009, 10:56 AM
More per poster than any other forum.

Thus maintaining WOOF's trademark high standard. *grin*

I still get a nervous tick everytime I see your username huJsh.

hujsh
21-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Thus maintaining WOOF's trademark high standard. *grin*

I still get a nervous tick everytime I see your username huJsh.

lol :D

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 01:29 PM

He wants to take 'em on he is a good lad and wants the best for his team it will click into place for him.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2009, 01:48 PM
He wants to take 'em on he is a good lad and wants the best for his team it will click into place for him.

I'm sure it will, sometimes he just needs to be more aware of what's around/behind him. Griff on the burst lifts the crowd.

Desipura
22-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm sure it will, sometimes he just needs to be more aware of what's around/behind him. Griff on the burst lifts the crowd.
And the players no doubt, as it means the oppostions focus turns to Griff and potentially creates an opportunity for a teammate to run into space.
Hence when the likes of Eagleton and Hill are getting kicks and Aker finishes off all the hard work of Griff, Cooney,Harbrow and co.

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I think Griff has the potential to be THE BEST PLAYER IN THE AFL.
Just waiting for him to agree with me.

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I think Griff has the potential to be THE BEST PLAYER IN THE AFL.
Just waiting for him to agree with me.

I think he's almost trying too hard.. you know, it's almost like he has to keep it simple here.

What makes Gablett Junior good? Sure, he kicks a few goals here and there, but by and large he just picks up huge numbers around the ground, and more often than not delivers it cleanly by hand or foot to a teammate.

Griff definitely has the tank these days to run around all day, if he slows down his manic, frantic pace for a second and just work hard within the team, get to every contest, and take extra care to make sure every possession is effective, the 'special' stuff will come.

He reminds me of those gun junior players who make it into the ranks of the professionals and thinks that every possession has to be match-winning, or special, the same way it was back in the juniors -- they haven't yet learnt that solid, visible performances week in, week out are more important than trying to kick the goal of the year. Griff just has to do the simple things well, and the magic will come.

--

(Having said all that, he's definitely working his butt off 'inside'.. contested possessions and clearances are well up this year).

Jasper
23-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Its interesting you mentioned Ablett I still remember the toweling Griffen gave him on Telstra Dome in first year like it was yesterday, that was the game that stamped just how good he was in my mind. It may have also been the game that Ablett Jnr woke up to how hard you have to work in this game.

Griffen's Greatest Asset is his pace and kicking penetration, I can't help but think he is better suited to a back flank where he can play behind the ball and use his skills similar to health Shaw. I worry that playing him in the midfield and building his engine is diluting his biggest weapons. I

dogs den mum
25-07-2009, 04:39 AM
I think he's almost trying too hard.. you know, it's almost like he has to keep it simple here.
What makes Gablett Junior good? Sure, he kicks a few goals here and there, but by and large he just picks up huge numbers around the ground, and more often than not delivers it cleanly by hand or foot to a teammate.

Griff definitely has the tank these days to run around all day, if he slows down his manic, frantic pace for a second and just work hard within the team, get to every contest, and take extra care to make sure every possession is effective, the 'special' stuff will come.

He reminds me of those gun junior players who make it into the ranks of the professionals and thinks that every possession has to be match-winning, or special, the same way it was back in the juniors -- they haven't yet learnt that solid, visible performances week in, week out are more important than trying to kick the goal of the year. Griff just has to do the simple things well, and the magic will come.

--

(Having said all that, he's definitely working his butt off 'inside'.. contested possessions and clearances are well up this year).

I think we all need to keep in mind that Griff has had a very emotional year and that we should expect some inconsistency. None of us knows how the loss of his father is affecting him. He is young and away from family.The "trying too hard" and "every possession has to be match winning" may be related to that. Maybe he is trying to prove something. I think he probably needs a lot of support from everyone (including woof posters not being too negative)while he comes to terms with everything. It will be an ongoing process and I hope he is getting lots of support from within the club.

Topdog
25-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Do we know for certain that he hasn't come to terms with it yet?

1eyedog
25-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Not only that but he looks to be struggling with perceived pressure. Last week he ran into F50 twice and seemed concerned that someone was on his hammer and looked behind him at full tilt rather than straightening for goal. He missed one badly and the other landed deep in the forward pocket. he would normally nail them at 48 metres out.

AndrewP6
25-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I think we all need to keep in mind that Griff has had a very emotional year and that we should expect some inconsistency. None of us knows how the loss of his father is affecting him. He is young and away from family.The "trying too hard" and "every possession has to be match winning" may be related to that. Maybe he is trying to prove something. I think he probably needs a lot of support from everyone (including woof posters not being too negative)while he comes to terms with everything. It will be an ongoing process and I hope he is getting lots of support from within the club.

Good points...

1eyedog
25-07-2009, 03:11 PM

I haven't read any negative posts. It's been a pretty open and accurate in many ways discussion about a player we hope can achieve his full potential.

BulldogBelle
25-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Griff played a pretty good game tonight. Behind Boyd, Lake and Cross he was my 4th best for us....

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Griff played a pretty good game tonight. Behind Boyd, Lake and Cross he was my 4th best for us....

I thought he played, very very average tonight.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Lakey only has two settings -- incredible, or ****ed. He played on both settings tonight, often within seconds of each other.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2009, 12:06 AM
I thought he played, very very average tonight.

Lake played OK, he just made two absolute howlers.

Topdog
26-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Lake played OK, he just made two absolute howlers.

Watching from TV 2 of the Saints first 4 goals were his fault. Shcoking 1st and last quarters.

1eyedog
26-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Don't think he touched the ball in the 3rd quarter. Very average game from Griff.

Stefcep
26-07-2009, 10:22 AM
I thought he played in bursts last night: he'd a nice thing then disappear, then do a bit then disappear. He still tries to break tackles when he has a team mate to dish it off to, but even so last night anyway he didn't get pinged for holding.

Topdog
26-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Don't think he touched the ball in the 3rd quarter. Very average game from Griff.

It was the 2nd quarter that he didn't touch it in. He was very good in the 1st and 3rd tonight, unsurprisingly our best qtrs too.

Go_Dogs
27-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I thought Griff was clearly in our best two players - Boyd the other. Kicked some very nice balls and chose the good options the majority of the time.

At times on Saturday he just needed to show a little more faith in his ability to win the contest. A few times he was sitting off a contested situation (Cooney too in one that happened very close to me) and just needed to go in a bit and try to win the ball.

Very happy with his past 6 weeks, and once again going to be one of our most important players come finals - seems to always find that extra gear in big games.

Go_Dogs
27-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Not sure aout this - he had 7 touches for the qtr over 25 for the game, a handful of clearances, a goal and 3 or 4 tackles. His ball use was generally very good too.