PDA

View Full Version : Was Rocket Out Coached

Bumper Bulldogs
13-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Any thoughts on the coach.

I was amazed that we didn't man up the spare man in the back line against the Pies.

The week prior every time that the hawks sent a spare man back we went with them, not against the Pies!

Was it too late to move Murph back up forward?

Should Welsh moved down back and have Presti chase a small around?

GVGjr
13-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Any thoughts on the coach.

I was amazed that we didn't man up the spare man in the back line against the Pies.

The week prior every time that the hawks sent a spare man back we went with them, not against the Pies!

Was it too late to move Murph back up forward?

Should Welsh moved down back and have Presti chase a small around?

I'd say he stuck with his original plan for a bit too long but it's hard to say if he was out coached or not. They players probably let him down a bit.

AndrewP6
14-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Maybe he needed to do things a bit differently, but he can't be blamed for poor disposal, decision making and aimless long bombs... I don't believe Rocket's coaching cost us the game.

Mantis
14-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I thought allowing Maxwell to roam free was a poor move, but as AP6 pointed our disposal was as bad as it has ever been as was our lack of run and our defensive pressure.

Murf mentioned on O.W.A.A.T that at half time that Rocket gave them a fair old spray so suffice to say I don't think the players had adhered to the game plan all that well.

LostDoggy
14-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Hard to say if Rocket was out coached. Agree with Gvgr that the players let him down. Going on the stats we are the worst 1st Qtr starters and the best last Qtr performers! Need to start games with more intensity!! Can't play 2 or 3 good qtr's

The Coon Dog
14-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Hard to say if Rocket was out coached. Agree with Gvgr that the players let him down. Going on the stats we are the worst 1st Qtr starters and the best last Qtr performers! Need to start games with more intensity!! Can't play 2 or 3 good qtr's

I posted this the other day:

Just checked the stats:

Won 1st qtrs - 5
Lost 1st qtrs - 9
Drawn 1st qtrs - 1

Total scored in 1st qtrs - 53 goals, 51 behinds = 369 points
Total conceded in 1st qtrs - 53 goals, 49 behinds = 367 points.

You can take first quarters in isolation & it tells you 1/4 of what you really need to know.

Its as useful a stat as how we have gone in 2nd qtrs, 3rd qtrs or 4th qtrs in isolation.

Mofra
14-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I posted this the other day:
The total scored area of the first quarters is now scewed because of the Hawks game.
We've been largely poor in first quarters all year.

I believe this shows that Eade is an excellent match day coach, but can be caught off guard by the planning aspect of the game. It would be interesting to see what would happen if we had a massive football department budget and hired (for example) a Dean Laidley to concentrate solely on opposition analysis and take part of that responsibility off Rocket.

Mantis
14-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I believe this shows that Eade is an excellent match day coach, but can be caught off guard by the planning aspect of the game. It would be interesting to see what would happen if we had a massive football department budget and hired (for example) a Dean Laidley to concentrate solely on opposition analysis and take part of that responsibility off Rocket.

I'm not sure on that. I saw a stat a few weeks back that had us kicking something like 2.13 in the 1st 5 minutes of our games this year. If we had actually converted our shots on goal we could say that we were fast starters so I am not sure how we can blame the coach for bad kicking.

Stefcep
14-07-2009, 01:10 PM
we can blame him for not instructing the players to move the ball quickly to the forwards, the forwards to be mobile, to counter the defensive flooding of the Pies

Desipura
14-07-2009, 01:17 PM
yes I believe he was outcoached as I had mentioned in another post on the weekend.

Mantis
14-07-2009, 02:11 PM
we can blame him for not instructing the players to move the ball quickly to the forwards, the forwards to be mobile, to counter the defensive flooding of the Pies

Do you think his instructions to the forwards was to sit on your haunches and wait for the ball to be bombed in?... I don't think so.

Mofra
14-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm not sure on that. I saw a stat a few weeks back that had us kicking something like 2.13 in the 1st 5 minutes of our games this year. If we had actually converted our shots on goal we could say that we were fast starters so I am not sure how we can blame the coach for bad kicking.
I wasn't aware of that, but we have been outscored more often than not in first quarters, and bad kicking isn't always the culprit - if the F50 entry is bombed or we are pushed to the flanks by the opposition defence that does force accuracy down. Good defenders are (laterally) goal-side of the forward prior to a lead so that any lead is unlikely to be straight.

Jasper
14-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't think he was out coach but I was surprised by some of his moves. I thought leaving murph in the back line until the last qrt was strange i really don't like him in the backline, he struggles when he is lead to the ball and his turnovers in the back line(2 out on the full and at least 3 or 4 that missed targets) really hurt us. Also I might be wrong but did cooney spend more time than usual at full forward the other night ???

boydogs
14-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Murf mentioned on O.W.A.A.T that at half time that Rocket gave them a fair old spray so suffice to say I don't think the players had adhered to the game plan all that well.

It's not like he can say 'sorry about that first half there, I should have played Welsh up the ground, Hill on the wing, Murphy up forward, Picken on Didak not Swan, Harbrow on Dick not Davis, I won't make the same mistakes again'. Matchups and positioning not working has to come down to the coach getting it wrong as much as the players not executing