PDA

View Full Version : Darwin to host Melbourne Demons and Western Bulldogs (home games) at Marrara Oval

BulldogBelle
13-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Update....

Well by reading this article looks like both the Dogs and Melbourne will play a home game each at Mararra next season and the Dogs to possibly continue playing a home game in Canberra...

Darwin to host Melbourne Demons at Marrara Oval (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25778490-19742,00.html)
The Herald Sun
Mark Stevens | July 14, 2009

THE AFL has pencilled in Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs for "home" games in Darwin next season. Under an extended commitment to the Top End expected to be confirmed soon, both clubs are poised to play Port Adelaide at Marrara Oval.

It will be seen as a three-way win for the clubs, which continue to explore new ways to improve their bottom lines.

The Dogs and Demons are each likely to pocket as much as $400,000 for the transferred home games.

Port Adelaide, which has a strong indigenous connection, will get the chance to develop a significant footprint in Darwin.

The AFL scheduled only one premiership game in Darwin this season - the Round 12 Bulldogs-Port Adelaide clash.

Melbourne, which sold one game to Canberra this year, had been keen to play two games in Darwin and make major inroads into the community.

But it is understood Melbourne is content to take the option of one, with an eye to forming strong links in the Northern Territory.

Two of those playing in the club's win against Port Adelaide on Sunday, Aaron Davey and Liam Jurrah, hail from the Northern Territory.

It remains unclear if the Demons will sell another home game next season, but Canberra would loom as the obvious choice.

Confirmation the club is on track to play the Power in Darwin is timely given the events of Sunday.

Fewer than 16,000 fans turned up to see the Demons beat the low-drawing Adelaide club -- a financial flop for Melbourne.

The advantages of playing the same game in Darwin are obvious, with the NT Government dangling a large financial carrot.

With an official announcement that the Dogs will maintain a link with Darwin inevitable, it is less likely the club will move home games to Geelong's Skilled Stadium.

The Dogs have met City of Greater Geelong officials, but the AFL was cool on the idea of clubs selling games to traditional markets.

Canberra again looms as the likely second venue, with the Dogs believing they need to sell two home games to make up for their deal at Etihad Stadium.

Melbourne is likely to push to extend its commitment to Darwin in the future given recent comments by chief executive Cameron Schwab.

Rather than fly in and out and have minimal community involvement, the Dees have pledged to follow Hawthorn's Tasmanian model and make a significant push into the region.

The Coon Dog
13-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I reckon it didn't help our cause when earlier this season the Club said it would be playing 11 home games in Melbourne (Dogs set to desert Darwin, Canberra (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25318275-5012432,00.html)).

It immediately signaled to the NT Government that we were prepared to walk away from Darwin.

Once the Etihad kerfuffle blew up, we switched tacks & thought Darwin was an attractive offer after all.

Didn't leave us in a strong position at all.

Dry Rot
13-07-2009, 11:08 PM
the Dogs to possibly continue playing a home game in Canberra...

Great news!

BulldogBelle
13-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Great news!

We have plenty of supporters that don't live in Melbourne and like for you DR living in Scum Sydney :D you can make the trek down to Canberra to see the Dogs play. As much as I want every game to be played here in Melb, I do have sympathy for our interstate supporters who don't get a chance to see the Dogs play to often live.

BulldogBelle
13-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I reckon it didn't help our cause when earlier this season the Club said it would be playing 11 home games in Melbourne (Dogs set to desert Darwin, Canberra (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25318275-5012432,00.html)).

It immediately signaled to the NT Government that we were prepared to walk away from Darwin.

Once the Etihad kerfuffle blew up, we switched tacks & thought Darwin was an attractive offer after all.

Shot ourselves in the foot

Dry Rot
13-07-2009, 11:29 PM
We have plenty of supporters that don't live in Melbourne and like for you DR living in Scum Sydney :D you can make the trek down to Canberra to see the Dogs play. As much as I want every game to be played here in Melb, I do have sympathy for our interstate supporters who don't get a chance to see the Dogs play to often live.

Thanks from Scum city. :D

From a team POV, I rather we play a fading Swans on a cool S-E Aust ground than another game in steamy Darwin.

BulldogBelle
13-07-2009, 11:45 PM
From a team POV, I rather we play a fading Swans on a cool S-E Aust ground than another game in steamy Darwin.

Darwin is good gives us an excuse to go to the game and also have a mini holiday up there.

Sedat
13-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Agreed TCD. Our administration hasn't put much of a foot wrong in the last 5 years but IMO they misread the play in this instance. We are now stuck in no-man's land, with no discernable home-away-from-home venue that we can truly call our own. Our 5 years of nurturing and developing the Darwin market will now come to nought, other than a cash grab - very disappointing outcome.

Remi Moses
14-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Agree with these sentiments. Anyway we'll just keep our rather imposing record of not losing to Shitney in Melbourne since 1987:D:D