PDA

View Full Version : Player Profile - Andrew Lovett

The Pie Man
15-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Assembled on short notice, so apologise if this isn't up to the regular standard - thanks Mantis for the request

13 Andrew Lovett

THE ESSENTIAL INFORMATION

Height: 183cm
Weight: 74kg
Date of birth: 11/11/1982
AFL debut: 2005
Essendon debut: 2005
Total AFL Games: 81
Total EFC Games: 81
Total Goals: 87
Previous Club(s): East Perth (WA)
Recruited From: 2004 Rookie Draft, selection 42

From Essendon FC website

A natural and rare talent, Andrew Lovett had a mixed season in 2008 during which he dominated some games and missed others through suspension. However, when at his best, Lovett delivered game turning explosiveness that few players can. Almost traded by the club post-season, the 26-year-old has returned to Windy Hill with an excellent attitude and has been training the house down during pre-season. Lovett will be desperate to demonstrate his brilliance on a consistent basis in 2009 and raise his standing to ‘AFL elite’.

His stats this year reflect his vast improvement and response to the off season rumblings, averaging just under 22 disposals a game this year, up from 18 last year - has only dropped below 20 disposal 5 times, lowest being 15 vs North Melbourne. He's also averaging a goal a game this year, and was amongst the best last week against Sydney with 29 touches.

Seems the near trade to Geelong did the trick for Lovett, and he's finally using his electic pace and clean disposal to the Bombers advantage, complementing a game style implemented by Matthew Knights - I genuinely believe he's approaching 'elite' status, though I'll hold that judgment until I see him perform at his recent level more consistently and for the next few years.

Who will take him and can we stop him? It's hard to lock someone like Lovett completely out of a game, though you can limit the effectiveness of his disposal through midfield pressure. I believe players like Lovett were the reason Picken was brought into the side, to give our midfield tag role more speed - though I think he'll need help (perhaps Boyd also)

There maybe other more damaging players at Essendon, though I'd be surprised if Eade doesn't identify Lovett as somone who can really hurt us and single him out for attention.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Picken seems the man for the job. Definitely an important player for them, and one who can provide the spark and tear a game apart with a few moments of brilliance.

Mantis
15-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Good choice because as you say he is a much improved player.

I'm not sure if Liam has the pace to go with Lovett, but in reality we probably don't have any as quick as him. He is one player we will need to keep in check as Essendon love to use his pace on the rebound.

Throughandthrough
15-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Jobe?

Mantis
15-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Jobe?

What about him?

If you want to contribute to this thread do so, if not the door is that way. ---->

Scorlibo
15-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Good choice because as you say he is a much improved player.

I'm not sure if Liam has the pace to go with Lovett, but in reality we probably don't have any as quick as him. He is one player we will need to keep in check as Essendon love to use his pace on the rebound.

Comparing him to Pearce, he might be a bit quicker, but not much.

1eyedog
15-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Great choice a very damaging player if he is allowed to break lines. I don't mind Picken on him to niggle and hurt him. The key as always is defensive pressure as his decision making can be suspect under pressure. He'll also need to be boxed in and I would try to make him give it off rather than let him run the lines through the corridor. If he does that Lake and Morris will have their hands full. Where exactly does Lovett play? HBF or Utility? I wouldn't mind someone like Hargrave on him if he starts on a wing or anywhere forward of centre. That said he would have too much go for Hargrave, but it may be worth a try.

Mofra
15-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Is 74kg correct? If so, Picken can legally nudge (belt) him at the stoppages to slow him down.
I'm just wondering if we have a plan 'B' or we will go head to head with their genuine guns. That'd be my reading of a shootout, if Eade isn't foxing.

The Pie Man
15-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Jobe?

Granted Watson is arguably the more important to Essendon - but I feel our contested footy is that good right now that Boyd/Cross and the like can win more of it head to head with Jobe.

But when Essendon win possession on half back/through the midfield, it's pretty exciting seeing Lovett get on the end of a handball receive and hit a forward on the chest or slot it through from 50 - he has really hurt teams this year.

It won't be exciting if I see too much of it Friday night.

LostDoggy
16-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Picken should be able to negate Lovett with his close checking for the majority of the game and Boyd/Cross should handle Watson, it will be an interesting battle in the midfield and intensity from the opening bounce will play a large part in who comes out on top.

The Coon Dog
16-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Watson this & Watson that, just because of who his father is. Fair dinkum some commentators are just sycophants!

Look how often he turns it over by foot!

The Pie Man
16-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Watson this & Watson that, just because of who his father is. Fair dinkum some commentators are just sycophants!

He's improved under Knights, but agreed his disposal still isn't where it needs to be.

azabob
16-07-2009, 09:00 PM

Fair Point, but he has improved again this year. His in and under work is quite good.
He is our version of Cross. Maybe the handball isn't as good as Crossey but the foot disposal would be the same.

The Coon Dog
16-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Fair Point, but he has improved again this year. His in and under work is quite good.
He is our version of Cross. Maybe the handball isn't as good as Crossey but the foot disposal would be the same.

Comparing hm to Crossy is fair & reasonable, but I bet the commentators drool over Watson more so than Cross.

azabob
19-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Comparing hm to Crossy is fair & reasonable, but I bet the commentators drool over Watson more so than Cross.

Yeah have to agree with that!