PDA

View Full Version : Players who can 'turn us on'

Go_Dogs
15-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I've been having a bit of a think about certain players who have been able to help our side a lot, by leading the way and sparking the side. It seems to me that we often need some sort of catalyst to get the boys up and running.

My thoughts have concluded that Akermanis is almost our most important player heading towards September.

There are countless games this year where Aker has been the spark - he provides a few moments of individual brilliance, often resulting in a few goals for himself, and the ability to drag a few mates into the match by setting them up with scoring opportunities.

Once Aker starts having a bit of a party, it seems everyone wants to be invited and suddenly the ball starts rolling and we gain some serious momentum.

Often without the spark, we look uninterested and unable to really grab a hold of the game. Akermanis is still our most valuable player who can grab his team mates, show them the way and make them follow.

Anyone else noticed this, or another player that they think can really grab his team mates and will them into action, and over the line?

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Johnno used to do this a lot more.

Coons is one that is certainly a catalyst -- a little burst from Adam often precedes a burst from the Dogs (even our last quarter against Collingwood last week started with Coons suddenly bursting into life, sidestepping and shrugging off three tackles and handballing off the ground to a free runner after having been quiet all game).

Griff can kick the team into a higher gear with a running goal, but he's not done that for a while now. Lindsay and (haha) Eagle also gets the juices flowing with a long goal, which are often momentum builders.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Anyone else noticed this, or another player that they think can really grab his team mates and will them into action, and over the line?

I think Picken does this. When he takes the game on and runs inside 50 without anything getting in his way and booting one right through the sticks. Was so proud of him when he did it Friday night, we were stuffing around with it I think in the 3rd and he just showed them how it was done, terrific stuff from a young player with a big future ahead. In saying this, Griffins burst of energy through the midfield or on the wing, taking the game on like the freight train he is. Thats what I think gets the team going aswell..

Bulldog Joe
15-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I actually believe there are a few players that can provide the spark or the game turning moment.

Callan Ward took a mark running back with the flight against Collingwood.

Minson turned a game against Brisbane in 2006 by just dominating the hit outs - He also did this in agame for Werribee early in his career.

Johnno and Aker are certainly capable but so is Higgins.

Josh Hill can do it with a spectacular mark.

Cooney and Griffen can do it with a dash through the centre, while Gilbee can turn a half chance into a certainty with one sublime foot pass.

Players like Boyd and Cross keep us in games with their work rate but there are several players who can provide match turning efforts or match winning quarters.

Stefcep
15-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Acker for mine. He's an extrovert character, brilliant finisher when it matters, his amazing football brain and vision brings others into the game.

BulldogBelle
15-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Once Aker starts having a bit of a party, it seems everyone wants to be invited and suddenly the ball starts rolling and we gain some serious momentum.

Very good thread Griffen#16.

The spark - Aker is definitely my choice, when he gets going he is electric to watch, love it. He defintely gets the others fired up.

Johnno, Cooney spark setters also.

bulldogsman
15-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Well probably the usual suspects, Aker, Johnson and Cooney. But we tend to play well when Hahn starts playing well also.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Good thread as BB said.

Aker definitely stands out a mile. If you're at the games where Aker is able to turn it on, he really gets the fans involved too. Every time he goes near it, there's an air of expectation he's going to do something good with it. 90% of the time he does - and he seems to generate more 'fan fare' than anyone else. Especially when he kicks a goal.

As most others have said, Cooney and Griffen are probably next in line.

A couple from left field are Hahn and Minson. They basically play as the two biggest men in the forward half of the ground for us. They've got plenty of aggression and often beat 2-3 opponents by sheer determination. On the downside, they can perform pretty badly too and look very ordinary. When they're up and about though, it makes us a FAR better side. Minson has turned himself into a quality mobile ruckman - he's surpassed Hudson in terms of his ruck work this year. He's improved his game around the game significantly and whilst we need more from him up forward, he hasn't been too bad. Minson's full of passion and if he kicks a goal, he really (almost literally) drags players to follow him. It's great to see. His big punch out of ruck contests gets the boys moving too and I feel he's really one of our most important players. If he's in very good form, we're a very good football side.

Hahn's crucial to our forward set-up because he primarily takes the opposition's CHB. He's been down on form this year, but his last quarter v Collingwood was a prime example of how important he can be. Strong in the contest, second/third efforts, capable of taking a pack mark, paving a path for others and creating something out of nothing. He's not the most accurate kick, but he has improved this area and can kick 50-55m. When Hahn's playing desperate tough football, we're hard to stop. When he isnt (First three quarters v Collingwood) it's almost like having a player short, with Maxwell rebounding at will.

Desipura
15-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Aker then Cooney. Two years ago I would have said Johnno. Remember when he was the 'go to' forward and would take a number of contested marks?
Thats one part of his game that is no longer there, his contested marking.
As players get older they tend to go to ground easier as they lose some of that core strength they had. Having said that, he is still a valuable player who has learnt to play a different role.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Who doesn't 'turn us on', those little short shorts :p

Go_Dogs
15-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Haha, I was waiting for that. :D

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Yep, Aker is one who gets the team and supporters sparked up! Cooney or Griff on the burst can be darn exciting too! I also love it when Lake takes 'em on, keeps running and kicks a bl**dy goal :D

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Haha, I was waiting for that. :D

Lol, top thread though.

I believe it will not be just one person, but a group of players. I think we can really surge in finals because our back half is really settled, and very solid. Lake, Hargrave, Gilbee, Harbrow, Morris & Williams, if Williams stays fit through out the rest of the season it will be trouble for any forward line to break us down.

I really believe we have an underrated back line (not by Bulldog supporters), which both media & other supporters don't take notice of.

Scorlibo
15-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Looking back at some of the close moments from this year, Griffen is always the one that seems to stand up and play some inspired football out of the centre. It's something which you admire in a player, the ability to step up in the big moments, but you also find yourself scratching your head saying, 'why can't they do that on a regular basis, not just when we're in trouble'. Aker sticks out like anything, he has always been a matchwinner and continues to be.

Sockeye Salmon
15-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Little shorts from someone calling himself JH40.

Whale Roberts would fit into Harbrow's shorts (while Harbrow was still wearing them).

AndrewP6
15-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm with those who say Aker... his contributions are vital... champions are the ones who can get us going when needed the most... he is equal parts magic, and good smart play. Higgo is the next-in-line in this role, I reckon. He's an exciting guy when he's up and running.

The Pie Man
15-07-2009, 11:12 PM
This is the one thing Aka has brought to us - his snap on the left in the 1st quarter of the prelim last year was probably the loudest chear for a Dogs goal I've ever been a part of/heard. Aka also for mine

As much as I've got the sh_ts with him at the moment, a Ryan Griffen run down the wing will get the blood pumping.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Dare i say it, i think i have a 'Mancrush' on Aker! :|

Bulldog Joe
15-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Don't discount Gia's ability to get the team going. He was the prime mover in our victory over Adelaide.
I also notice that the opposition coaches obviously rate Gia higher than many of our supporters. In the North game Gia was tagged by Rawlings, who has long been regarded as their main stopper.

boydogs
16-07-2009, 01:30 AM
I think we do need a few players to provide a spark and get us going at times but I'm not sure the inexperienced players have been a liability

We need some igniters, game breakers, match winners to turn the game in our favour when we are behind before it gets to 6 goals. Players like Cooney, Griffen, Gilbee and Aker need to step up and lay a tackle, go for a run, or kick a long goal to get us going before its too late

Yep last night was very similar to the Geelong game earlier this year. Good fightback to produce an honourable loss does not get you top 4. We need an igniter or two to get us going earlier on - Harbrow, Hargrave, Lake, Gilbee, Hill, Eagleton, Aker, Cooney and Griffen are the types to look to

Great thread - as you can see I have had this on my mind this week after the Collingwood game. We have shown when we are on top we can dominate but have lacked the ability to change the momentum when we are down, good players and good sides do that. I hope our players are encouraged to be bold and show their stuff when we need a lift

Mantis
16-07-2009, 09:04 AM
I made mention last week to a fellow poster that when we were under siege in the first & third quarters that we have no one in our team who is willing or perhaps able to change the course of the game.

The players heads go down and it seems no one wants to take the reponsibility of getting us out of the shit, so to speak.

We have no problems when we get a run as we have some exciting players who can do some brilliant things, but when we are under the pump I would like to see a few of our leaders stand up and say this isn't good enough and I am going to do something about it.

1eyedog
16-07-2009, 09:54 AM
When the team gels as a unit as we did against the Hawks