PDA

View Full Version : What WB/FFC stuff are you proud to own?

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm sure there's some really cool stuff out there that you are so proud to be the owner of. Seb and I sat down today and tried to think of all the things footy/WB realted that he owns. If you're interested check it out here at GoDoggies (http://godoggies.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/sebs-doggies-stuff/) In fact we've probably forgotten stuff off this list.

We'd love to read about all the cool stuff you might have collected over the years.

Seb has lots and lots of fun and exciting collecting years ahead of him. I wonder what we will end up with in 10-20-30 years to come ;)

Desipura
15-07-2009, 04:34 PM
door chime, boxer shorts an old Footscray Football Club plaque that sits in the garage. Scanlens footy cards.
The Sun newspaper when it was announced that we would be merging with Fitzroy.
Old Footy records and a dvd of highlights of Footscray playing from 1978 - 1981 (thanks to mighty west)
Oh yeh, I have also kept all my memberships from 1983 until 2009 (only missing 1985)

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I still have my old Footscray jumper that I used to wear to Auskick when I was a youngin'. It has a number 3 on the back. :)

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Dad has an excellent portrait picture of Ted Whitten in his shed (haha Mum probably didn't let him put it inside the house). Sadly it's been neglected a bit in the weather and is looking quite tattered.

Dad also owns one of those fantastic old Footscray scarves with the pockets on each end. Me and Gabi loved it as kids, we wore a pocket each as a nice hat.

I love looking at Dads old membership cards, too.

Basically its only Dad who owns anything of much interest to me.

Sockeye Salmon
15-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Where's Joe?

He wins.

mighty_west
15-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I have also kept all my memberships from 1983 until 2009 (only missing 1985)

Alot of people don't realise, but old memberships are worth quite a bit.

Desipura
15-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Alot of people don't realise, but old memberships are worth quite a bit.
even if they have been clipped? Remember in those days the gatekeeper clipped your card as you entered the gates.

mighty_west
15-07-2009, 05:04 PM
A couple of framed weg posters, around 80 or 90 game & highlight dvd's from the 70's - 2009, around 1200 Doggies footy cards [70's - 2009], memberships etc....oh & Johnno's 300 games footy [not signed....yet].

Desipura
15-07-2009, 05:08 PM
A couple of framed weg posters, around 80 or 90 game & highlight dvd's from the 70's - 2009, around 1200 Doggies footy cards [70's - 2009], memberships etc....oh & Johnno's 300 games footy [not signed....yet].
So do you mean to say you have other dvd's (other than the one you gave me a copy of) of Footscray playing in the 1970's to early 1980's?????

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Doug Hawkins Game Record Breaking Function Menu Signed by the late great TW Whitten

mighty_west
15-07-2009, 05:27 PM
So do you mean to say you have other dvd's (other than the one you gave me a copy of) of Footscray playing in the 1970's to early 1980's?????

I don't have alot of older games / highlights, just a few:

'54 Grand Final [40mins]
'61 GF Full game
'78 v Saints [last quarter]
'83 Best of The Bulldogs - season review with Malthouse
'85 Semi v North [full game]
'85 Prelim v Hawthorn [full game]

Plus that late 70's highlights i made up which you have.

A few other highlights from the mid 80's, the rest are 90's & 00's.

Desipura
15-07-2009, 05:31 PM
cool, thats what I thought, thanks mate!

Ozza
15-07-2009, 06:17 PM
My Grandmother was a mad bulldogs supporter (so much so that she used to get there and barrack loudly for the whole of the reserves!)

She died when I was much younger - but left me an old framed black and white photograph with Merv Hobbs taking an absolute screamer over a North melbourne player. Although its a fairly common bulldogs image - Its kind of old and special in a way.

Twodogs
15-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I've got quite a bit of memorablia but my fave is a photo of Rohan Smith and Trent Bartlett walking down the race after Bartlett had kicked the winner V Carlton in 2000. Bartlett had got a free right in front at the 30 minute mark for the dodgiest 'in the back' I've ever seen.

It's a great photo, Carlton fans are leaning over the fence screaming abuse, Bubba is pointing to the Bulldog on his jumper, Trent has two fists in the air and is roaring at the Carlton fans and in amongst it all is a lone Bulldog supporter with the biggest smile on his face I've ever seen!

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 06:54 PM
I own a framed picture of The Final Siren at the Whitten Oval. I was at that game and when i saw the picture i had to have it!

ledge
15-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I have Colin Searys number 47 jumper, a WEG framed cartoon of Charlie Sutton holding the 54 cup, A 1984 can of beer, red, white and blue with the proud bulldog logo.

Many footy records going back to the early 70s, a sporting globe poster of Gary Dempsey in the well known handball pose when he won the brownlow.
A few other knick knacks.
And my most amazing piece is the 1965 annual report in which i have no idea how as i didnt come to Australia until 1969.

1eyedog
15-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Peter Foster's left boot from round 19, 1990. Actually it was given to my brother and I stole it from him after he moved to Dirranbandi.

An original seat paling from the western oval with number still visible

1980 and 1981 complete Scanlan's Footscray Football team cards framed

2009 signed Sherrin from every senior player (hope they win the flag this year!)

A small glass jar (used for urine tests at work:D) filled with grass from the Western Oval

DVD and VHS Year of the Dogs

A book "Too Tough To Die" regarding the 1989 merger.

The Coon Dog
15-07-2009, 08:16 PM
A book "Too Tough To Die" regarding the 1989 merger.

I have that too, personally signed by both authors Kerrie Gordon & Alan Dalton.

Mitcha
15-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I've got quite a bit of memorablia but my fave is a photo of Rohan Smith and Trent Bartlett walking down the race after Bartlett had kicked the winner V Carlton in 2000. Bartlett had got a free right in front at the 30 minute mark for the dodgiest 'in the back' I've ever seen.

It's a great photo, Carlton fans are leaning over the fence screaming abuse, Bubba is pointing to the Bulldog on his jumper, Trent has two fists in the air and is roaring at the Carlton fans and in amongst it all is a lone Bulldog supporter with the biggest smile on his face I've ever seen!
Twodogs, would it be possible to get that photo onto this forum somehow. Sounds like an awsome photo that I and hopefully others would love to see. Probably one for the techno nerds to make happen.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I got a big framed Johnno picture on my wall which a bunch of friends bought for my 21st, totally unexpected yet totally awesome.

Also in my garage there's a Bulldogs Shop sign (newer logo not very old) stuck up the back, it was there when I moved in, I swear :D

Dazza
15-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I've got a bunch of old (well old for me) badges of players like scott wynd, tony liberatore, leon cameron etc. A few old unused footscray stickers. Countless caps and old jumpers signed by the majority of the team from around 95-99. Sadly alot of the signatures have faded from being washed.

Sockeye Salmon
15-07-2009, 10:38 PM
I own a framed picture of The Final Siren at the Whitten Oval. I was at that game and when i saw the picture i had to have it!

In the foreground, facing away from the action, you'll see the big boof head of KT31, Just about the most easily recognisable mug in the picture.

I was there with him but we're not quite sure which one is me. I know I was wearing an Acubra and a Drizabone but there are a couple in the shot nearby.

comrade
15-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I was there with him but we're not quite sure which one is me. I know I was wearing an Acubra and a Drizabone but there are a couple in the shot nearby.

Going through a Troy Dann phase, SS? :p

The Pie Man
15-07-2009, 10:54 PM
When we kept Carlton to one goal (late 80's or early 90's?) at the Whitten Oval, The Sun ran a photo on the front page with the scoreboard showing us 8.9 to 0.10 (I think)

My brother and his old mates are slap bang in the middle of the photo - my folks rang the paper and managed to get a blown up print of it, still hanging at my parents place.

I bought a Bulldogs scarfe on ebay with the blue Bulldogs writing in the white strip (not sold anymore, but if you see one in a $2 shop for some reason they're now blue writing on the red strip) and the VFL symbol on it, I like it.

I've also had one of those massive ones with pockets in it knitted for me by my mother in law - badly beer stained and crusty!

Did anyone grab the 50th anniversary WEG posters against Melbourne in 04? I'll frame it one day.

mighty_west
15-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Did anyone grab the 50th anniversary WEG posters against Melbourne in 04? I'll frame it one day.

Yes, i too have to also get it framed, although it's in mint condition as i got it laminated pretty much straight away, i have a friend who goes to the footy with us, won't mention any names, he posts here from time to time, but had it just hanging on the wall, all ripped & torn, edges damaged etc etc, stick tape all over the thing, not laminated - a disgrace!!!

:mad:...:D

Nathan
16-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I've got quite a few bits and pieces that either myself or my father had collected and handed down over the years.

An old Gary Dempsey footy card signed by the man himself.
A doug hawkins game record t-shirt (selling them at the whitten oval on the day)
Various bar products from footscray schooner glasses in the 70s/80s through to a 54 bottle of premiership port (i have no idea if its actually from 54 and my dad never told me either unfortunatley)

Various framed photos and mirrors (one has the 1908 side on it!)

Anyway, dad had an old bar in his garage, 20 years on the bar is long gone, but im planning to build my own and surround it in his old memorobilia. Probably a bit odd for a guy living in the middle of brisbane but ahh well.

Desipura
16-07-2009, 09:35 AM
I forgot to mention I have a Ted Whitten bottle of port with the label of EJ in his famous kicking pose. It was kindly bought for me by my Father in law. Somewhere around the house I also have a certificate for financially contributing to the 1989 fightback campaign.

Sockeye Salmon
16-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Going through a Troy Dann phase, SS? :p

More a try-to-stay-dry-and-warm phase. It pissed down that day.

comrade
16-07-2009, 09:43 AM
More a try-to-stay-dry-and-warm phase. It pissed down that day.

You’re not wrong – I was a skinny 10 year old wearing a lime green poncho and looked like a drowned rat after the game.

LostDoggy
16-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I "aquired" the FOOTSCRAY name from the Linton st ground scoreboard at Moorabbin! Looks great up in the garage! Its metal, about 2m long and has nth melb on the back.:D

Cyberdoggie
16-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm still quite fond of my Doug Hawkins footy card from the 80's.
In this photo a young looking Douglas is sporting a healthy dipperesque Moustache.
Doug's teeth also look quite different, perhaps they were his originals? but basically they look like fangs, and no this card has not been altered with a pen if that's what your thinking!

Cracks me up everytime i look at it.

Mofra
16-07-2009, 10:49 AM
My parents have a signed Ted Whitten print which I have been promised in the will.

I'm a fan of my FFC shotglass that is in my wine fridge full of water to add humidity to the atmosphere to ensure the corks don't dry out.

craigsahibee
16-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Doug Hawkins Game Record Breaking Function Menu Signed by the late great TW Whitten

15 years ago to the day, today. I know this because the game was the day after I kissed my wife for the first time. (She wasn't my wife until the following year). :)

Sedat
16-07-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm still quite fond of my Doug Hawkins footy card from the 80's.
I'm convinced that the Managing Director of Scanlens was related to Steven McCann - just about every single 7-pack of footy cards I bought had his ugly mug in it. Was a nightmare trying to swap all the double-ups over to my classmates when I'd exhausted pretty much all options.

My 2 yo son took our Bulldogs door chime to creche the other day and proceeded to annoy the hell out of everyone there by playing the Dogs' theme song pretty much the entire day.

always right
16-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I have a phot taken of me as a young kid with Ted Whitten on the occasion of his 299th game. It was taken in the changerooms with Ted signing my autograph book and was to be published ina football magazine at the time. Those old enough to remember will recall the VFL stuffed things up and it was supposed to be his 300th. They realised their error in the week leading up to the game.

I also have an old framed team photo of my old man when he played for Footscray Tech Old Boys U17's. In that team with him was a young E.J.Whitten.

I also have an autograph of Alby Smedts. Must be worth a furtune now:D

ledge
16-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Alby and that famous mark, i think it was in a reserves game and made the front of the footy record the next week.

BulldogBelle
16-07-2009, 06:51 PM
This is my most treasured.

Hopefully will add to it soon:D

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/jcfletch/1954Prem.jpg

W W Biscuit
16-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I have a heap of stuff...footy records, newspaper clippings, whole newspapers that commemorate major Bulldog moments, footy cards, posters...mostly from 1970s onwards. Still love the Footscray placemat that dad bought me at the Melbourne Show in 1976!! And a 1954 premiership photo signed by Doug Reynolds.

But for something slightly unusual, I like the poster that I made in 1983!! This was a resurgant year for the Dogs, after finishing on the bottom with only three wins in 1982. My nanna took me to the Footscray mall early in the '83 season to meet the Doggy players. That was quite special, as I lived in the outer east and rarely got to head west. I took a tatty old notebook and collected many signatures...Simon Beasley, Jim Edmond, Steve MacPherson, Geoff Jennings...whom I also had a nice chat with. A great memory. I got home, ripped the pages out of the notebook, stuck them on some poster paper and drew a Bulldog logo on it. :) Now that I am forty, I am still wide-eyed. Part of me still wants to head out west with a grubby writing pad.

ledge
16-07-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a heap of stuff...footy records, newspaper clippings, whole newspapers that commemorate major Bulldog moments, footy cards, posters...mostly from 1970s onwards. Still love the Footscray placemat that dad bought me at the Melbourne Show in 1976!! And a 1954 premiership photo signed by Doug Reynolds.

But for something slightly unusual, I like the poster that I made in 1983!! This was a resurgant year for the Dogs, after finishing on the bottom with only three wins in 1982. My nanna took me to the Footscray mall early in the '83 season to meet the Doggy players. That was quite special, as I lived in the outer east and rarely got to head west. I took a tatty old notebook and collected many signatures...Simon Beasley, Jim Edmond, Steve MacPherson, Geoff Jennings...whom I also had a nice chat with. A great memory. I got home, ripped the pages out of the notebook, stuck them on some poster paper and drew a Bulldog logo on it. :) Now that I am forty, I am still wide-eyed. Part of me still wants to head out west with a grubby writing pad.

Funny you mention that, I went down to the family day in 98 and got all the players to sign a pad, then i cut them all out, got hold of some bulldog wrapping paper, stuck the signatures on top then framed it, looks pretty cool.
Most say good luck to my son jack who was 6 at the time.

LostDoggy
16-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Funny you mention that, I went down to the family day in 98 and got all the players to sign a pad, then i cut them all out, got hold of some bulldog wrapping paper, stuck the signatures on top then framed it, looks pretty cool.
Most say good luck to my son jack who was 6 at the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Oh god, you're hilarious. That is a lovely story.

Twodogs
17-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Twodogs, would it be possible to get that photo onto this forum somehow. Sounds like an awsome photo that I and hopefully others would love to see. Probably one for the techno nerds to make happen.

I'll try. Coon Dog have you got any ideas mate?

Twodogs
17-07-2009, 01:59 PM
My nanna took me to the Footscray mall early in the '83 season to meet the Doggy players. That was quite special, as I lived in the outer east and rarely got to head west. I took a tatty old notebook and collected many signatures...Simon Beasley, Jim Edmond, Steve MacPherson, Geoff Jennings...whom I also had a nice chat with. A great memory. I got home, ripped the pages out of the notebook, stuck them on some poster paper and drew a Bulldog logo on it. :) Now that I am forty, I am still wide-eyed. Part of me still wants to head out west with a grubby writing pad.

I can remember that day!

The Coon Dog
17-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I'll try. Coon Dog have you got any ideas mate?

If you have a scanner, scan it. If not, take a photo.

Save the scan or photo then email it to me.

strebla
17-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I have 2 signed footballs one of Scott Wynd and one of Rodney Eade >I have framed pics ofTeedy Whiiten and a poster Sons of the west with the melbourne skyline in the background But my most prized possesion on memorabillia are my 1954 and 1961 memberships which i have framed.
I also have the usaual footy records and such and my mother has a clipping of me with Mick Malthouse from 1984 after we beat Caarlton that i keep trying to steal

Mongrel
18-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I have a decent collection of Bulldogs drinking glasses and an old beer can from 84

Twodogs
18-07-2009, 06:48 PM
If you have a scanner, scan it. If not, take a photo.

Save the scan or photo then email it to me.

OK, I'll get onto it.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 08:02 PM
I have the 2006 and 2008 season highlights DVD's - pretty difficult until the advent of ebay to get anything in the uk - although the things i would love to get my hands on are the season highlights tapes/dvd's of 1992, 94, 97 & 98. Diamond Dogs, Hot Dogs, Woof!etc :D

Does anyone know how to get hold of these - i emailed the company that released them and they don't stock videos anymore and have no plans to re-release them onto DVD - all help/suggestions appreciated otherwise guess i'll just have to keep trawling ebay in the hope of finding them listed sometime.:)

Remi Moses
19-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Got an Adam Cooney signed guernsey from last season. Successfully bidded in a school auction

bulldog
19-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I must admit i am a bit of a tragic when it comes to memorbilla i have in My posseion a match worn Adam Cooney jumper from the Rd3 stkilda from last year i have jumpers from Ryan Griffen Scott West CHris Grant Nathan Eagelton Dale Morris Shaun Higgins Jason Akermanis clash jumper from the dees game this year Farren Rays footy boots a Boot from nathan Browns last game he played for the dogs when he threw it in the crowd Matthew Boyds boots that i got in the Trainers raffle a few weeks ago most games since 97 on video Dvd plenty of framed pics for milestone game signes jumper from 2006 signed ball of Westy.smithys 300 games and countless books footy cards you name it ive got it

Happy Days
19-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I have my jumper from when I was about 4 signed by the 96 team (with a number 3 on the back and Chrissy Grant's signature bolded) and framed.

But this doesn't come close to my match-worn Peter Street jumper from the '06 NAB Cup!

ledge
19-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I must admit i am a bit of a tragic when it comes to memorbilla i have in My posseion a match worn Adam Cooney jumper from the Rd3 stkilda from last year i have jumpers from Ryan Griffen Scott West CHris Grant Nathan Eagelton Dale Morris Shaun Higgins Jason Akermanis clash jumper from the dees game this year Farren Rays footy boots a Boot from nathan Browns last game he played for the dogs when he threw it in the crowd Matthew Boyds boots that i got in the Trainers raffle a few weeks ago most games since 97 on video Dvd plenty of framed pics for milestone game signes jumper from 2006 signed ball of Westy.smithys 300 games and countless books footy cards you name it ive got it

No wonder the club struggles for money we have a serial jumper thief!:D

AndrewP6
19-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Although I didn't buy it, in an AFL shop today, I saw a WB cap with the word "PREMIER" in large type, and above it in much smaller font, the words "One Time", and the year (1954, obviously!)... some kind of sick AFL joke...

bulldog
19-07-2009, 07:03 PM
No wonder the club struggles for money we have a serial jumper thief!:D

Haha mate the club gets all the money for that thats the important thing

angelopetraglia
19-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Round 21, 2000.

- my ticket stub

- Middle spread lift out from the Herald Sun laminated (pictures of the game) , signed by C. Grant (just happened to run into him that next week).

Sockeye Salmon
19-07-2009, 09:03 PM

Mate, use a full stop and paragraphs.

Too hard to read and I went blue trying to get through a sentence in one breath.

cinder
19-07-2009, 09:09 PM
ROFL Sockeye...

I have some cool stuff from when my grandfather played in the 30s/40s, like invitations to 'gentlemen's smoking evenings', dinners, telegrams, invitations to come and try out at the footy club, plus some old footy records from those decades.

I have been meaning to do something with it all, put it in a nice display album. It's on my to-do list!

LostDoggy
19-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Really love the old footscray vinyl cushion from the 60's which my brother currently has and I am in the process of trying to discover which of his boxes it is packed in seeing as he is overseas for an extended time...... am mostly into collecting footy cards, particularly the older ones as I love the history attached to them as every card has a story to tell. Really enjoy the few cards I have from the early 1900's such as the Marmo card at the top of the page, have learnt so much about so many of the players who have represented our great club...

Max469
19-07-2009, 09:52 PM
A few odds and ends, including

A footscray mirror, a plate with our champs on it.

Some videos of our games

Football cards from early eighties.

But my favourite is:

A signed 330 game Chris Grant cap.

strebla
21-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I have just spoken to my brother and will on Saturday pick up Doug Hawkins footy boots from the 85 finals series!!!

ledge
21-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I have just spoken to my brother and will on Saturday pick up Doug Hawkins footy boots from the 85 finals series!!!

Which brother stole them?:D

strebla
21-07-2009, 08:18 PM
hahahaha funny Bucky but he has had them for a lot of years