PDA

View Full Version : Pask vs Darcy

Dry Rot
17-04-2007, 01:40 PM
An unlikely thread a few weeks ago, or maybe not. I was one of the few sceptical about the return of our ACL victims. Murphy & Darcy have understandably been struggling.

If Grant is now on the long term injury list, should we drop Darcy to find form and confidence with the Bees, and promote Pask from the rookie list and have him in the Morgan 'stand in the goal square' role?

Would Pask currently offer more than Darcy?

Twodogs
17-04-2007, 02:09 PM
An unlikely thread a few weeks ago, or maybe not. I was one of the few sceptical about the return of our ACL victims. Murphy & Darcy have understandably been struggling.

If Grant is now on the long term injury list, should we drop Darcy to find form and confidence with the Bees, and promote Pask from the rookie list and have him in the Morgan 'stand in the goal square' role?

Pask's current form doesnt deserve a call up. He's playing well at VFL level but he's not up to AFL level at the moment.

LostDoggy
17-04-2007, 02:13 PM
I also think Murphy's form is more of concern that Darcys. Darcy didn't lose his height with 2 ACLs while atm Murphy has little or no pace and is not half the player he was.

Mantis
17-04-2007, 02:46 PM

The problem is we cant get the ball to the square...

We need someone to play find the ball across half forward. With Murf struggling for touch after his layoff and Gia horribly out of form we are missing the 'linkman' we have used to great effect over the past couple of years. The fact that our half back line runners are under more pressure when they have the ball means they cant spot up short targets and they are being forced to kick to one on one or pack contests across half forward and are losing many more than we are winning.

Cyberdoggie
17-04-2007, 02:49 PM
The problem is we cant get the ball to the square...

We need someone to play find the ball across half forward. With Murf struggling for touch after his layoff and Gia horribly out of form we are missing the 'linkman' we have used to great effect over the past couple of years. The fact that our half back line runners are under more pressure when they have the ball means they cant spot up short targets and they are being forced to kick to one on one or pack contests across half forward and are losing many more than we are winning.

the link man role isn't working because we aren't moving the ball directly to them.

What use is a link man when you go 5 kicks sideways, then bomb it somewhere.

but i do think both gia and murf are struggling. They may find their mojo this week or 4 weeks from now, or we could drop them and the same could happen with someone else.

Mantis
17-04-2007, 02:58 PM
the link man role isn't working because we aren't moving the ball directly to them.

What use is a link man when you go 5 kicks sideways, then bomb it somewhere.

but i do think both gia and murf are struggling. They may find their mojo this week or 4 weeks from now, or we could drop them and the same could happen with someone else.

But when we bomb it we are kicking to blokes who are about 6ft tall, usually competing against the oppostion ruckman, etc..

I know we need to get back to moving the ball quickly again, but opposing teams are denying us the use of this run, as it is a most potent weapon. We need to have the personnel in the team each week so that we can swap and change to suit. By having 3 lumbering ruckman and no McDougall or Skipper (abit not match fit yet) we have no tall option to play CHF. Cam Wight was even moved to CHF in the last qtr to straighten us up a little, although he face planted in the centre when trying top retrieve a Crossy pass that landed 5 yards in front of him.

GVGjr
17-04-2007, 07:48 PM
But when we bomb it we are kicking to blokes who are about 6ft tall, usually competing against the oppostion ruckman, etc..

Yes there must be some more science to the long bomb especially when we have a small forward set-up.

I know we need to get back to moving the ball quickly again, but opposing teams are denying us the use of this run, as it is a most potent weapon. We need to have the personnel in the team each week so that we can swap and change to suit. By having 3 lumbering ruckman and no McDougall or Skipper (abit not match fit yet) we have no tall option to play CHF. Cam Wight was even moved to CHF in the last qtr to straighten us up a little, although he face planted in the centre when trying top retrieve a Crossy pass that landed 5 yards in front of him.

The concerning part is that other teams seem to have cracked our game plan and unless we adjust accordingly the ability to move the ball from one end to another to leading forward targets will really stem our scoring capacity.
We need to be a team that kicks 15 goals a game and at the moment we aren't troubling the scoreboard enough except for Johnno.

bornadog
17-04-2007, 08:30 PM
The concerning part is that other teams seem to have cracked our game plan and unless we adjust accordingly the ability to move the ball from one end to another to leading forward targets will really stem our scoring capacity.
We need to be a team that kicks 15 goals a game and at the moment we aren't troubling the scoreboard enough except for Johnno.

I don't actually believe other teams have cracked or game plan, I think both Adelaide and St Kilda, from last year, know how to play the dogs. Whether other teams can do the same remains to be seen. (Probably West Coast, Sydney)

It will be interesting what tactics Wallet uses and whether he has the personel to carry it out, which I doubt. We need a big confidence boost this week.

bornadog
17-04-2007, 08:30 PM

I don't actually believe other teams have cracked or game plan, I think both Adelaide and St Kilda, from last year, know how to play the dogs. Whether other teams can do the same remains to be seen. (Probably West Coast, Sydney)

It will be interesting what tactics Wallet uses and whether he has the personel to carry it out, which I doubt. We need a big confidence boost this week.

I would perserver with Darcy, Pask isnot up to it yet.

alwaysadog
17-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Pask's current form doesnt deserve a call up. He's playing well at VFL level but he's not up to AFL level at the moment.

The only sense I can make of the placing of Grant on the long term injury list is that the club is putting a carrot in front of Pask to see how he responds.

GVGjr
17-04-2007, 09:16 PM
The only sense I can make of the placing of Grant on the long term injury list is that the club is putting a carrot in front of Pask to see how he responds.

That is the best reason why I can think of as well. Perhaps Harbrow and Hughes will be considered as well.

alwaysadog
17-04-2007, 09:23 PM
That is the best reason why I can think of as well. Perhaps Harbrow and Hughes will be considered as well.

Perhaps... but the most pressing need is to get another robust versatile KPP. And while I hold Two Dogs opinion in high regard, Atkins almost waxed lyrical about Pask's game last week.

LostDoggy
17-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Atkins almost waxed lyrical about Pask's game last week.
Its nothing new, the Werribee coaches report has a history of painting a pretty picture of something that wasn't there.
Its not their fault as I don't think its a great idea for the coach to publically criticisize (even analyze indepth) his players on a web site.

IMO Pask was good and had a stack of possession but his disposal let him down at times. The speed problem wasn't evident but it is VFL level.

Raw Toast
18-04-2007, 09:35 AM

Good call, though I agree with GVGjr that it might be a carrot for all our rookies (or at least for Harbrow and Hughes as well as Pask). Personally I reckon our problems are more in the midfield and running from defense than in our kp's. Both our defenders and forward have been hurt by the quality (or lack thereof) of the balls coming in.

alwaysadog
18-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Its nothing new, the Werribee coaches report has a history of painting a pretty picture of something that wasn't there.
Its not their fault as I don't think its a great idea for the coach to publically criticisize (even analyze indepth) his players on a web site.

IMO Pask was good and had a stack of possession but his disposal let him down at times. The speed problem wasn't evident but it is VFL level.

Thanks for the further detail on Pask's performance Ernie.

I agree that a coach would not just be foolish but unprofessional to criticise a player publicly, but there is a world of difference between saying very little and building them up.

While Axe is no doubt told to be positive, and that suits his natural inclination anyway, he seemed to go out of his way to say good things about Pask.

I'm not a shrink so I've got no idea of his possible motivation(s), but I thought it was more than just to lift his spirits when Leisel goes home to Qld.

Twodogs
18-04-2007, 10:25 AM

I got the feeling the reason his disposal was so lousy was because he was rushing his kicks and handballs in an effort to keep up with the speed of the game. I just dont think his reactions are quick enough ATM, but this might change the more footy he plays.

Remember he had a fairly interrupted preseason.