Did he play as well as his figures?

aker39
18-07-2009, 12:43 AM

Certainly did in the 3rd quarter.

Turned the game

The Coon Dog
18-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Mitch is one of those players that is never going to have 25 possessions in a game. He can be very damaging with just 10. I have no idea how many touches he had tonight but he was the most dominant forward on the ground.

Marked well, missed an early shot & kicked 5. Must like playing the Bombers.

Dry Rot
18-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Mitch is one of those players that is never going to have 25 possessions in a game. He can be very damaging with just 10. I have no idea how many touches he had tonight but he was the most dominant forward on the ground.

Marked well, missed an early shot & kicked 5. Must like playing the Bombers.

Thanks. What was the actual Dons defensive set-up tonight? ie their match-ups defensively?

GVGjr
18-07-2009, 12:55 AM

That tackling effort of his in the last quarter was fantastic. As TCD said, he normally won't trouble the stats guys too much but when he is switched on he can be very productive.

AndrewP6
18-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Good game from Mitch... contested well, used his strong body, and put scores on the board!

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 05:05 AM
He had 2 of the worst mongrel punts from set shots which both somehow managed to sneak in. Played well tonight and gave the contest that we so desperately need in the forward 50.

angelopetraglia
18-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Thought Hahn was just superb last night.

His stats were impressive;

19 touches (9 contested)
6 marks (4 contested)
5 tackles
5 goals (a few floaters went through)
1 point (that should have definitely been converted)

We need that Hahn to turn up every week. Took some great grabs, kicked some long goals. Gives us the grunt we need up forward.

alwaysadog
18-07-2009, 10:46 AM
He had 2 of the worst mongrel punts from set shots which both somehow managed to sneak in.

Anyone remember what Tony Locket said when it was pointed out that his record breaking goal had come from a poor kick, "If you are going to duff 'em, duff 'em straight".

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I dont think he played that good. He was on that Hooker guy who my essendon supporter mate says is the worst player in the team (in the afl according to him to).

he needs to do the same thing next week

alwaysadog
18-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks. What was the actual Dons defensive set-up tonight? ie their match-ups defensively?

Very hard to describe as they rotated a lot and so did we. As well we tried to drag a few of their players out of position, like whoever had Fletcher early on took him up to the wing.

In the first half when going forward we used so much short passing and at a snail's pace that our attack was permanently overcrowded, all players covered and no gaps to run into yet left plenty of space for them to exploit on the rebound - dumb football.

Why he exploded in the 3rd 1/4 was because we kicked longer into 50 and gave him a chance to be one out with his opponent and he got front position and once there few players can beat him within the rules. What he also showed was that he has very strong hands (sticky fingers).

My view of Hahn hasn't changed. He works hard in packs and occasionally brute strength triumphs for him, but we seldom play to his strengths.

craigsahibee
18-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I dont think he played that good. He was on that Hooker guy who my essendon supporter mate says is the worst player in the team (in the afl according to him to).

Your mate needs to have a look at McPhee:)

Bulldog4life
18-07-2009, 11:51 AM

I'm sorry but if you think that Mitch Hahn didn't play "that good" last night your views on footy cannot be taken seriously.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 12:25 PM
He had 2 of the worst mongrel punts from set shots which both somehow managed to sneak in. Played well tonight and gave the contest that we so desperately need in the forward 50.

I was sitting in the front row, and one of his worse kicks came straight to me haha, my friend had given me her sign to hold up as something he could aim at, we he did, ,straight through the goals(well probably not straight through, but it was a goal hehe).

I dont care how he kicks them, as long as they go through the big sticks, im happy.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry but if you think that Mitch Hahn didn't play "that good" last night your views on footy cannot be taken seriously.
I'm sorry but you need a little perspective. He did his job that is a given. The thing is he did his job on poor opposition. He is a man who played on a kid. Hardly earth shattering. If is was Scarlett or some other serious back man I would be singing his praise but really he has been average to poor this year and has been beaten most weeks.
Deserves a slap for this week and hopefully this is the catalyst for some consistent performances.

Bulldog4life
18-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry but you need a little perspective. He did his job that is a given. The thing is he did his job on poor opposition. He is a man who played on a kid. Hardly earth shattering. If is was Scarlett or some other serious back man I would be singing his praise but really he has been average to poor this year and has been beaten most weeks.
Deserves a slap for this week and hopefully this is the catalyst for some consistent performances.

I was, like the poster who I responded to, talking about last nights game. We weren't talking about other games this season or any other season for that matter. Just last nights match. I don't need a little perspective on last nights match and if anyone thinks that Mitch Hahn was "not that good" during last nights match I shall disagree with them vigorously.

Let's hope Mitch keeps it up.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Your mate needs to have a look at McPhee:)

Good call! In fact its gold Mcphee is a spud!

Would love to see Hahn get fit enough to have bursts in the middle love the Raging Bull!

Mofra
18-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry but you need a little perspective. He did his job that is a given. The thing is he did his job on poor opposition.
Fletcher had him in Q4 who I quite rate as a FB. At least one of his marks came with Fletcher coming over the top trying to spoil as well, providing a chop out to his backmen teammates.

Hahn beat taller opponents, had 5 tackles (showing he worked hard without the ball), constantly presented to the ball carrier (showing again his workrate was up) and looked our most dangerous deep forward. He deserves praise after last night's efforts.

Mantis
18-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Fletcher had him in Q4 who I quite rate as a FB. At least one of his marks came with Fletcher coming over the top trying to spoil as well, providing a chop out to his backmen teammates.

Hahn beat taller opponents, had 5 tackles (showing he worked hard without the ball), constantly presented to the ball carrier (showing again his workrate was up) and looked our most dangerous deep forward. He deserves praise after last night's efforts.

Which is where he has to stay. For my liking he tends to get sucked up the ground the a little too much for my liking. I like him to hover 20 or 30m from goals as we know he will always give such a strong contest.

Mofra
18-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Which is where he has to stay. For my liking he tends to get sucked up the ground the a little too much for my liking. I like him to hover 20 or 30m from goals as we know he will always give such a strong contest.
Agree, although my thinking is that Johnson & Murphy are much better playing up the ground than deep forward, as both have quite the engine and will just keep presenting. Last year Hahn had a number of shots on goal that were created through sheer bulk at a stoppage or contested situation, and up the ground it's an advantage he can't fully exploit.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 05:53 PM

Sorry. I'll re-phrase. He played good against a young team, playing against defenders who didn't look like they knew how to defend.

I love Hanh, one of my favorite players. But he has to be able to perform against the teams that are better. I.e. Pies, Cats, Saints....

GVGjr
18-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry. I'll re-phrase. He played good against a young team, playing against defenders who didn't look like they knew how to defende.

I love Hanh, one of my favorite players. But he has to be able to perform against the teams that are better. I.e. Pies, Cats, Saints....

It's a good point and one that generally separates the very good players from the good players.

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Hahn performed similarly against Essendon last year, but hardly got a touch for the rest of the season.

Mitch has always been good against weak opposition. The challenge is to do it against the stronger defenders.

Stefcep
19-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Hahn performed similarly against Essendon last year, but hardly got a touch for the rest of the season.

Mitch has always been good against weak opposition. The challenge is to do it against the stronger defenders.

He really hasn't for the majority of his career, so I don't think suddenlt that will change. What he did show was, despite all the talk about precision passing to small forwards, what we need is strong forward who can take the contested grab. If Mitch could do that in 70% of his matches, no need to look for another forward, but he simply can't. In my mind Mitch just confirmed our need for one as we don't hit the forwards with precision passes as much as we'd like to think we do, we often do bomb it to the forward line, and we need someone that can take the contested grab.

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2009, 01:15 PM
He really hasn't for the majority of his career, so I don't think suddenlt that will change. What he did show was, despite all the talk about precision passing to small forwards, what we need is strong forward who can take the contested grab. If Mitch could do that in 70% of his matches, no need to look for another forward, but he simply can't. In my mind Mitch just confirmed our need for one as we don't hit the forwards with precision passes as much as we'd like to think we do, we often do bomb it to the forward line, and we need someone that can take the contested grab.

Don't disagree with that and Mitch has been used by Rocket because there is not someone else. He has however brought more to his game with his contesting in the packs and has kicked some amazing snaps for a guy who is not the most reliable set shot. I feel that his ground level work has not been as good this year.

While he is strong and can hold his ground, he is not really a strong mark and often double grabs. He is able to do this because of his strong body position but this is relatively easily spoiled by the bettere defenders.

For all of his strength at least 2 of his contested marks where from good kicks to his advantage and in one (3rd qtr) Josh Hill did a terrific job to protect his back and deny Essendon the spoiling opportunity.

Bulldog4life
19-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Sorry. I'll re-phrase. He played good against a young team, playing against defenders who didn't look like they knew how to defende.

Now that makes a lot more sense. :)