PDA

View Full Version : Brian Lake - All Australian 2009?

becmatty
18-07-2009, 07:34 PM
He must be coming into calculations...

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Most deffinately!!
No question he has been the stand out full back of 2009!

The Adelaide Connection
18-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Yes. Obviously a lot of footy to be played, but right now he would have to be pencilled in.

jazzadogs
19-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Presti will go close. Although Buddy ripped him apart tonight...

Brian's only a couple of brain fades away from dropping away a little.

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Brian's biggest issue is the recognition factor.
While he is playing terrifically, he has been put undeservedly behind a few players in the full back pecking order.
Over the past 4 years he has been as good as anyone, except for his bad days, but the commentators who rank these things have had players like Glass, Rutten and now Presti ahead of him. Much of that ranking comes from the push by the respective clubs.
While Scarlett has been a superb player, he has never been the same quality as Brian in the contested marking area and he has had more help with the chopping off the lead area from his sidekick Captain Motorbike Tom Harley.
I know I have a bias, but Lake is the premier full back in the comp and could actually put himself at No. 1 for AA if he can perform as well against the Saints.
I believe he needs to take Kosi and if he can dominate him as he did Buddy and Lloyd his claims would be undeniable.

Sockeye Salmon
19-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I simply don't get the hysteria about Presti.

Reasonable, dour defender, that's all, and dour became outdated when David Dench hit the scene in 1973.

Sure, he doesn't get scored against often, but he gets heaps of help (Maxwell is always right by his side) and gives them absolutely nothing in the way of attack.

Give me a defender who works both ways like Lake or Scarlett anyday.

He's right up there with Hird and Wanganeen in the over-rated Hall of Fame.

The Coon Dog
19-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I simply don't get the hysteria about Presti.

Who bats number 5 for England?

Mantis
19-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Heard him on SEN yesterday, very dry sense of humour.

He is in great form and his ability to read the flight of the long ball and take the contested mark sets him apart from the other potential AA candidates. He lost Lloyd a couple of times on the lead which other defenders don't do, but as an attacking FB he is in a clas of his own at present.

Huge challenge for him (and us) this week against the Saints and it will be very interesting to see what role he is given.

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 06:40 AM
At this stage of the season he is the #1 full back in the league without a doubt, and would definitely be picked as the All-Australian. BUT this isnt when they pick the team and he will need to keep up his current level of performance right the way through.

Great game against Essendon on Friday night - he was absolutely everywhere. Hope to see more of the same in the coming 3 months!

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 09:43 AM
You won't see many better games by a Full-back than his on Friday night and against a quality opponent.

Clearly, the best FB in the business this year

Mofra
20-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Scarlett has reputation on his side; it shouldn;t matter but clearly does. Scarlett has been in pretty good form.

I don't rate Presti - he would have been an awesome FB playing 20 years ago, but backmen have to be creative these days in setting up play and he just isn't.

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Brians form over the last 3 weeks has been awesome, you would almost think that the oppposition players are kicking to him, so many marks.

Happy Days
20-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Brians form over the last 3 weeks has been awesome, you would almost think that the oppposition players are kicking to him, so many marks.

2nd in the competition.

bornadog
20-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Heard Eade talking about him on Saturday and agreed he is in great form, but still gets worried when Brain stops and thinks and tries a short chip pass.

He is in great form and hope he stays that way for the rest of the year.

Go_Dogs
21-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm just glad I picked him up in SC about 4 or 5 weeks ago when I saw how undervalued he was, great pick up!

Has had a fairly good season, his first few weeks were great and his last month really has been very impressive too. Tough spot to get though, and I heard Healy talking about how good a year Rutten has had on Sunday - I'm not convinced those guys actually watch too many games. Rutten has barely been able to do more than waddle around for the first half the season......