PDA

View Full Version : Milestone - Brad Johnson to equal Chris Grants Games Record v Saints

bornadog
20-07-2009, 02:12 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/05001593688900.jpg

What a great effort from the smiling assassin. Playing like he is 24 years old, and giving his all for the club he loves.

Congratulations Brad and lets get a big win this week, and ready to break the record against Freo.

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 06:21 PM
This has slipped under the radar a bit hasn't it?

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Can't wait for the record breaking game. I would expect Chris Grant will be there to dish off a little flick pass to Johnno on the way through!

The Coon Dog
20-07-2009, 06:26 PM
This has slipped under the radar a bit hasn't it?

I've been aware, but in all honesty rate breaking a record the following week more important than equaling it this week.

cinder
20-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I've been aware, but in all honesty rate breaking a record the following week more important than equaling it this week.

True. What a great milestone. As much as I love Chris Grant, Johnno is well worthy of being the one to break his record.

Only wish I could be there to see it! Confined to the house with a newborn baby!

The Coon Dog
20-07-2009, 07:20 PM
True. What a great milestone. As much as I love Chris Grant, Johnno is well worthy of being the one to break his record.

Only wish I could be there to see it! Confined to the house with a newborn baby!

Congratulations to you on that score Cinder. Boy or girl?

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Congratulations Johno - what a wonderful achievement from the smiling Assassin with the Cliff Young shuffle - now let's do the job on the Saints.

I won't be there either, having a 21st with all my Saint loving in-laws:(

BulldogBelle
20-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Can't wait for the record breaking game. I would expect Chris Grant will be there to dish off a little flick pass to Johnno on the way through!

Hope that Dougie Hawkins and Ted Whitten Jnr are also there

Studentlib
21-07-2009, 02:15 PM
It seems like such a short time ago, seeing him running like the wind on the Doug Hawkins wing, a skinny little kid wearing Number 33. Now he reminds me of EJ, with his general build and demeanour and the allround hardness and toughness he's added to his game . He just needs to wear both wristbands not one. A great player, captain and outstanding role model for any young person or player. Congratulations on your achievement and lets hope there is even more in the near future.

cinder
21-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Congratulations to you on that score Cinder. Boy or girl?

Thanks Coon Dog! Little boy ... named him Avery. One day he'll line up for the Dogs!! (wishful thinking ...)

strebla
21-07-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree with Coon Dog can't wait to see him break the record!!As much as I admire Chris Grant I can't help but think Brad deserves the record and I would love so see Ted jr Dougie and the Turtle out on the ground

LostDoggy
21-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Legend, can't put it any other way.

boydogs
21-07-2009, 08:45 PM
He just needs to wear both wristbands not one.

What do you mean by this?

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I would think that he means that the great EJ used to wear two wristbands, one on each wrist of course!!!!

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Congratulations Johno, the most loyal of dogs! I will be cheering for you at home (unfortunately) but I hope the boys will bring home the win for you!

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Well done Johnno!! Cannot wait until next weeks game, we've been so lucky to see so many games records broken, first Doug Hawkins, then Chris Grant, now Brad Johnson. A premiership would be really nice though!! ;-)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Congrats Johnno! and also congrats to Cinder!

craigsahibee
24-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I was going to take my young bloke to Sandown for the V8's next Saturday before it was brought to my attention that Johnno was going to break the record. Am now pulling him out of school on Friday and taking the day off to be at Sandown on Friday and Etihad Stadium, Level 1, Ailse 17 seat S11 on Saturday.

You're a champ Johnno. Well Done.

The Coon Dog
24-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I was going to take my young bloke to Sandown for the V8's next Saturday before it was brought to my attention that Johnno was going to break the record. Am now pulling him out of school on Friday and taking the day off to be at Sandown on Friday and Etihad Stadium, Level 1, Ailse 17 seat S11 on Saturday.

You're a champ Johnno. Well Done.

Glad to see you have your priorities right! ;) He'll enjoy the footy & the car racing, so it's a win win.

The Coon Dog
25-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Today, every Dog will grin like Johnson (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/today-every-dog-will-grin-like-johnson/2009/07/24/1247942051172.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1)

Andrea Petrie | July 25, 2009

A Western Bulldogs popularity contest would find only one winner.

HE WAS born and bred in Melbourne's western suburbs and grew up supporting the Bulldogs. And tonight, Doggies' captain Brad Johnson will equal the club's games record when he runs out against St Kilda for his 341st game in the red, white and blue.

Since being recruited to the Bulldogs as pick No. 11 in the first round of the 1993 AFL draft, Johnson has become a lung-busting midfielder and a match-winning forward in one, a high-impact player with the capacity to roam however far and wide he sees fit to make his damaging presence felt.

Known as the "smiling assassin" because of the constant grin on his face, Johnson made a name for himself as a prominent wingman as soon as he made his debut in 1994 under then coach Terry Wheeler.

He moved to ruck-rover and has carved up some of the game's greats in the midfield, including the likes of Chris Judd, Ben Cousins, Michael Voss and Shane Crawford.

But it was in 2001 when Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace put Johnson into attack due to his natural attributes and the Bulldogs' lack of goalkickers that he made his mark as a high-quality forward, despite being only 182 centimetres tall.

Since then, Johnson has kicked more than 40 goals a season — 74 in 2006 when he bagged six against the Brisbane Lions and another six against St Kilda — contributing to his current total of 536 career goals, which puts him on track to break Simon Beasley's club record of 575 goals.

Johnson's career-best goal haul, however, came in the first game of 2007 against Geelong, when he managed eight majors to help the Dogs' get home by 20 points over the team that later went on to win the premiership.

He has gathered more than 400 possessions a season and is a headache for opposition coaches, who often struggle to find a suitable match-up because of his speed, ability to read the play and his exceptionally good overhead marking abilities for someone of his height.

For his efforts, Johnson has won the Bulldogs' best and fairest three times, he made the Bulldogs' Team of the Century and is a six-time All-Australian — captaining the All-Australian side in 2006, the same year he took over the Bulldogs' captaincy.

And despite being 33, Johnson is showing no signs of nearing retirement, averaging 21 disposals this season.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade describes him as a terrific person, a high-quality player and a fantastic leader and ranks him among the best players he has coached.

"I don't use the word lightly but I think Brad's a true champion of the game," Eade said.

"He's just been a super player for a such a long period of time, he's hardly missed games and his output of quality for so long is a real testament to him."

Wallace has named Johnson as "the most effective player I've coached, bar none".

As Johnson's teammate Shaun Higgins put it, you would be hard-pressed to find a better role model.

"The way he goes about his footy is second to none and then he backs it up with the sort of guy that he is and you couldn't ask for a nicer sort of bloke," Higgins said.

"He sets the example to everyone at the club about the way you want to act.

"He does it day in and day out and being captain, he's got the total respect of everyone at the football club."

Last year, Johnson became only the sixth Bulldog to reach the 300-game mark after club legends Ted Whitten snr, Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant, Scott West and Rohan Smith before him.

Grant said he could not think of anyone better to overtake his 341-game milestone than Johnson.

"If someone's going to hold a record like that, which is about durability and perseverance at the highest level for so long, it's fitting that a guy like Johnno should get it," Grant said.

"He represents the club so well on and off the field and he's also well-respected by all opposition clubs and supporters.

"It's quite nice that someone like Johnno is going to achieve it because he really is a Bulldog through and through."

West has described him as one of the "most genuine people you would encounter", while Smith says he knew his best mate would end up in the record books.

"When Grant reached 341, I thought there was only going to be one person capable of beating that and it was Johnno," Smith said.

"He's an absolute freak. Even against Essendon last week, he had 30 possessions and he was playing like a 25-year-old.

"His attention to detail is just unbelievable. The way he's playing, he might reach 370 games and I don't think anyone else is going to get near that, given the way footy's played now at such a high pace and in such a physically and mentally demanding way, so he might hold that club record forever."

Bulldogs president David Smorgon believes Johnson is "the most eminent Bulldogs player ever".

He said while Whitten was the club's most famous player and the club had plenty of other past champions, including Hawkins, West, Grant and Smith, based on all of Johnson's achievements and the fact that he is also in line to break the club's record for the most finals appearances, his contribution "has been second to none".

"You dream of recruiting another Brad Johnson because from the moment he walked into the club 15 years ago, he's been exemplary in his behaviour both on and off the field," Smorgon said. "He has the respect of everyone at the club and he leads by example.

"And his smile, which makes all the mums and dads love him, bellies his absolute determination to succeed and be a competitive and winning person."

Bumper Bulldogs
25-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I hope it backs it up and we have a better result than Aker did on his 300th.

bornadog
25-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I hope it backs it up and we have a better result than Aker did on his 300th.

and it was oh so close.:(

bornadog
25-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Today, every Dog will grin like Johnson (http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/today-every-dog-will-grin-like-johnson/2009/07/24/1247942051172.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/mb_johnson_narrowweb__300x4400.jpg

A Western Bulldogs popularity contest would find only one winner.

HE WAS born and bred in Melbourne's western suburbs and grew up supporting the Bulldogs. And tonight, Doggies' captain Brad Johnson will equal the club's games record when he runs out against St Kilda for his 341st game in the red, white and blue.

Since being recruited to the Bulldogs as pick No. 11 in the first round of the 1993 AFL draft, Johnson has become a lung-busting midfielder and a match-winning forward in one, a high-impact player with the capacity to roam however far and wide he sees fit to make his damaging presence felt.

Known as the "smiling assassin" because of the constant grin on his face, Johnson made a name for himself as a prominent wingman as soon as he made his debut in 1994 under then coach Terry Wheeler.

He moved to ruck-rover and has carved up some of the game's greats in the midfield, including the likes of Chris Judd, Ben Cousins, Michael Voss and Shane Crawford.

But it was in 2001 when Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace put Johnson into attack due to his natural attributes and the Bulldogs' lack of goalkickers that he made his mark as a high-quality forward, despite being only 182 centimetres tall.

Since then, Johnson has kicked more than 40 goals a season — 74 in 2006 when he bagged six against the Brisbane Lions and another six against St Kilda — contributing to his current total of 536 career goals, which puts him on track to break Simon Beasley's club record of 575 goals.

Johnson's career-best goal haul, however, came in the first game of 2007 against Geelong, when he managed eight majors to help the Dogs' get home by 20 points over the team that later went on to win the premiership.

He has gathered more than 400 possessions a season and is a headache for opposition coaches, who often struggle to find a suitable match-up because of his speed, ability to read the play and his exceptionally good overhead marking abilities for someone of his height.

For his efforts, Johnson has won the Bulldogs' best and fairest three times, he made the Bulldogs' Team of the Century and is a six-time All-Australian — captaining the All-Australian side in 2006, the same year he took over the Bulldogs' captaincy.

And despite being 33, Johnson is showing no signs of nearing retirement, averaging 21 disposals this season.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade describes him as a terrific person, a high-quality player and a fantastic leader and ranks him among the best players he has coached.

"I don't use the word lightly but I think Brad's a true champion of the game," Eade said.

"He's just been a super player for a such a long period of time, he's hardly missed games and his output of quality for so long is a real testament to him."

Wallace has named Johnson as "the most effective player I've coached, bar none".

As Johnson's teammate Shaun Higgins put it, you would be hard-pressed to find a better role model.

"The way he goes about his footy is second to none and then he backs it up with the sort of guy that he is and you couldn't ask for a nicer sort of bloke," Higgins said.

"He sets the example to everyone at the club about the way you want to act.

"He does it day in and day out and being captain, he's got the total respect of everyone at the football club."

Last year, Johnson became only the sixth Bulldog to reach the 300-game mark after club legends Ted Whitten snr, Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant, Scott West and Rohan Smith before him.

Grant said he could not think of anyone better to overtake his 341-game milestone than Johnson.

"If someone's going to hold a record like that, which is about durability and perseverance at the highest level for so long, it's fitting that a guy like Johnno should get it," Grant said.

"He represents the club so well on and off the field and he's also well-respected by all opposition clubs and supporters.

"It's quite nice that someone like Johnno is going to achieve it because he really is a Bulldog through and through."

West has described him as one of the "most genuine people you would encounter", while Smith says he knew his best mate would end up in the record books.

"When Grant reached 341, I thought there was only going to be one person capable of beating that and it was Johnno," Smith said.

"He's an absolute freak. Even against Essendon last week, he had 30 possessions and he was playing like a 25-year-old.

"His attention to detail is just unbelievable. The way he's playing, he might reach 370 games and I don't think anyone else is going to get near that, given the way footy's played now at such a high pace and in such a physically and mentally demanding way, so he might hold that club record forever."

Bulldogs president David Smorgon believes Johnson is "the most eminent Bulldogs player ever".

He said while Whitten was the club's most famous player and the club had plenty of other past champions, including Hawkins, West, Grant and Smith, based on all of Johnson's achievements and the fact that he is also in line to break the club's record for the most finals appearances, his contribution "has been second to none".

"You dream of recruiting another Brad Johnson because from the moment he walked into the club 15 years ago, he's been exemplary in his behaviour both on and off the field," Smorgon said. "He has the respect of everyone at the club and he leads by example.

"And his smile, which makes all the mums and dads love him, bellies his absolute determination to succeed and be a competitive and winning person."

The Coon Dog
25-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Today, every Dog will grin like Johnson (http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/today-every-dog-will-grin-like-johnson/2009/07/24/1247942051172.html)

Didn't like post #20 bornadog? ;)

bornadog
26-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Didn't like post #20 bornadog? ;)

whoops, sorry

The Coon Dog
26-07-2009, 07:11 PM
whoops, sorry
Lol, reminds me of the time I posted a thread on some nice pics of the Whitten Oval without realising you had already done so. ;)

BulldogBelle
26-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Wonder how much of a run this will get in the media before Saturday?

We might get 5 minutes on the Footy Show even!