PDA

View Full Version : Finals Scheduling

aker39
20-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Not getting ahead of myself, but I just did a finals predictor and I came up with the following 8

Saints
Cats
Dogs
Brisbane
Pies
Crows
Port
Carlton

If it falls this way (which is very unlikely based on my tipping this year), than the AFL is going to be in for a scheduling nightmare.

3 teams, Saints, Pies & Dogs play on Sunday, meaning those teams can’t play on the Friday night.

Normally the Saints (as top team) would get the full 7 day break, but with 3 finals in Melbourne, none of which could be played on the Friday night, and the Saints playing an interstate team, they would have to play at Etihad on Saturday.

Meaning the 1st week of the finals would look like this.

Friday night - Crows v Port (AAMI)
Sat Arvo - St Kilda v Lions (Etihad)
Sat Night - Collingwood v Carlton (MCG)
Sunday - Cats v Dogs (MCG)

ledge
20-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I am happy to see Coll v Carl, knock one of them out in the first week is always good.

bornadog
20-07-2009, 03:24 PM
The AFL should not be scheduling our round 22 as a Twilight match, they should change it now.

Sockeye Salmon
20-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Not getting ahead of myself, but I just did a finals predictor and I came up with the following 8

Saints
Cats
Dogs
Brisbane
Adelaide
Pies
Port
Carlton

If it falls this way (which is very unlikely based on my tipping this year), than the AFL is going to be in for a scheduling nightmare.

3 teams, Saints, Pies & Dogs play on Sunday, meaning those teams can’t play on the Friday night.

Normally the Saints (as top team) would get the full 7 day break, but with 3 finals in Melbourne, none of which could be played on the Friday night, and the Saints playing an interstate team, they would have to play at Etihad on Saturday.

Meaning the 1st week of the finals would look like this.

Friday night - Crows v Port (AAMI)
Sat Arvo - St Kilda v Lions (Etihad)
Sat Night - Collingwood v Carlton (MCG)
Sunday - Cats v Dogs (MCG)

If the ladder finishes as you've predicted, your matches are all up the spout. Times and venues probably wouldn't change.

Crows v Carlton
Collingwood v Port
St. Kilda v Brisbane
Cats v Dogs

aker39
20-07-2009, 04:10 PM
If the ladder finishes as you've predicted, your matches are all up the spout. Times and venues probably wouldn't change.

Crows v Carlton
Collingwood v Port
St. Kilda v Brisbane
Cats v Dogs

Sorry I gots pies and crows mixed up.

Should be pies 5th, crows 6th.

My games would then be correct.

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Anyone seen Carlton's run home - I hope to god they don't finish 4th.:mad:

Sockeye Salmon
20-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Anyone seen Carlton's run home - I hope to god they don't finish 4th.:mad:

I'd be delighted to cop Carlton in the finals, we'd smash them.

Rocco Jones
20-07-2009, 07:47 PM
The only thing that will stop the Cats playing on Saturday and the Saints playing on Sunday is a game featuring two of Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon.

Saints getting a 6 day break against Lions who would have a 7 day break would be super harsh. I guess playing at Docklands would go someway in making up for it.

Raises an interesting issue for us. If we finish 3rd we will probably play the Cats off a 6 day break and if we finished 4th we will probably play the Saints off a 7 day break. I really hope we don't have too much to play for come Round 22.

alwaysadog
20-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I've got a further complication with an English sports mad cousin and her husband visiting in September. I know they should have been told to come at another time but they didn't understand the message; the premier League is decided on home and away results without finals.

Now they are arriving in Sept and I need to know when we are likely to play so I can make sure of being in Melb for the critical dates while still showing them all the magnificent things our land has to offer.

Anybody like to hazard a guess about possible times and places?

boydogs
20-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Anybody like to hazard a guess about possible times and places?

Keep September 26 clear ;)

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 11:07 PM
I want a dogs v saints gf..
but if we finish 3rd and saints finish 1st, and we have to play the cats and loose..then chances are we'd play the saints in the prelim ><

alwaysadog
20-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Keep September 26 clear ;)

Have so far managed to ensure we are in Melb for that date.

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 11:46 PM
I want a dogs v saints gf..
but if we finish 3rd and saints finish 1st, and we have to play the cats and loose..then chances are we'd play the saints in the prelim ><

We simply have to win the first final against the cats, and hope to god we cop brisbane or collingwood in our preliminary final.

Go_Dogs
21-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I'd be delighted to cop Carlton in the finals, we'd smash them.

Because we've done so well against them recently....oh wait :confused:

Sockeye Salmon
21-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Because we've done so well against them recently....oh wait :confused:

It's been purely luck in that Carlton have been drawn to play us while we were having our annual 'down time'.

Get them while we are running on top of the ground and we'll smash them.

The Coon Dog
21-07-2009, 02:42 PM
We may be better finishing 4th & playing St.Kilda the following Sunday where both teams have a 7 day break than finishing 3rd & playing Geelong on the Saturday with a 6 day break as opposed to the Cats 7 day break.

bornadog
21-07-2009, 06:33 PM
We may be better finishing 4th & playing St.Kilda the following Sunday where both teams have a 7 day break than finishing 3rd & playing Geelong on the Saturday with a 6 day break as opposed to the Cats 7 day break.

Lets get there first;)

aker39
21-07-2009, 09:29 PM

I don't think the 7 v 6 is such a big issue, unless as Rocket said today you have back to back 6 day breaks.

We will actually have an 8 day break between rounds 21 and 22.