PDA

View Full Version : Reward For Effort

Big_Willba
21-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Guy O'Keefe

Was on the VFL site and was having a look at the stats from all our boys playing in the VFL at the moment and this kids first two years have been outstanding.

hasn't seemed to miss a game in the willy seniors since arriving at the club (unless a final, not to sure when willy got knocked out last year) a total of 36 games for a return of 48 goals and featuring in the best 13 times (8 from 13 this year!!).

Would be foolish to throw a kid in to debut against the Saints at the moment and i cant see our side being changed.

But surely he should get a crack in coming weeks to prove his stuff after what has seemed to be a fair apprenticeship in the magoos?

On the other hand, Jarrad Grants stats page is quite dissapointing for a first round pick. featuring only once in the best in the last 2 years from 19 games and 33 goals as a key forward.

Thoughts?

westdog54
21-07-2009, 09:34 PM
He's definitely unlucky in that he's finding magnificent form at a time where there are few opportunities to get a look in at the seniors. Can't wait to see him get a chance. I'd be dissappointed but not surprised to see him get overlooked this season.

Be patient with Grant. Its rare that a KPP, particularly KPFs, make any sort of instant impact. He's got talent to burn but is still very lightly framed which will continue to work against him. Next year is the year I'd expect to see results from him.

Sockeye Salmon
21-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Guy O'Keefe

Was on the VFL site and was having a look at the stats from all our boys playing in the VFL at the moment and this kids first two years have been outstanding.

hasn't seemed to miss a game in the willy seniors since arriving at the club (unless a final, not to sure when willy got knocked out last year) a total of 36 games for a return of 48 goals and featuring in the best 13 times (8 from 13 this year!!).

Would be foolish to throw a kid in to debut against the Saints at the moment and i cant see our side being changed.

But surely he should get a crack in coming weeks to prove his stuff after what has seemed to be a fair apprenticeship in the magoos?

On the other hand, Jarrad Grants stats page is quite dissapointing for a first round pick. featuring only once in the best in the last 2 years from 19 games and 33 goals as a key forward.

Thoughts?

Grant missed most of his first year with OP.

33 goals from 19 games is actually pretty good and in a way flatters him.

Scorlibo
21-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Welcome to WOOF, Big Willba. By the sound of things Guy will get his reward for effort at some point this year. He is one who will dominate at VFL level, but might not have the fitness at this stage to play in the AFL. If there's one knock on him it's probably his tank and another pre-season will do him a lot of good because he certainly has the skills and smarts.

bornadog
22-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if he played either next week against freo or against the Wegals.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I have had the chance to watch the last two Willy games, the last half of the magoos and all the seniors both times, and IMHO Guy has been the standout of all the Doggies boys both weeks and looks the goods for next year, another who looks OK is Boumann, after next years pre season we should see some huge improvement in the young guy's (no pun intended) and be getting some senior game time into them.

Big_Willba
22-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Grant missed most of his first year with OP.

33 goals from 19 games is actually pretty good and in a way flatters him.

Oh of course, yeh maybe a little harsh on grant. i have seen a couple of willy games and from what i gathered both Grant and O'Keefe have the footy smarts to make it .... but both will benefit from another pre-season. 1 in the gym and the other on the track haha.

With grant and stack getting an oppurtunity for a taste of it, wouldnt be suprised to see O'keefe in the mix for the freo or wce game either.

Cyberdoggie
22-07-2009, 04:26 PM
O'Keefe is not the quickest around the ground and doesn't look to have the fitness/stamina/work rate high enough for AFL just yet.

He certainly has the skills and gets enough of the ball but i would assume the reason he hasn't been given an afl game just yet may be for his own personal developement.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 07:08 PM
O'Keefe is not the quickest around the ground and doesn't look to have the fitness/stamina/work rate high enough for AFL just yet.

He certainly has the skills and gets enough of the ball but i would assume the reason he hasn't been given an afl game just yet may be for his own personal developement.

Im Okeefes biggest fan as much as Comrade loves Boumann! I agree he needed to work on these areas you mention but i have watched him closely the last 2 weeks & he has improved his workrate & is tackling with great intensity.He seems to be running out games a lot stronger as well.It seems he has got to the stage for him & the teams development that he needs to take the next step.
I cant see him debuting this week but how fitting would it be for for Ocka to debut in Johnnos record breaking game with the Skip handing him his jumper prior to the game.It would be a romantic & bulldog thing to do.Hope it happens he has well deserved it.

strebla
22-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Im Okeefes biggest fan as much as Comrade loves Boumann! I agree he needed to work on these areas you mention but i have watched him closely the last 2 weeks & he has improved his workrate & is tackling with great intensity.He seems to be running out games a lot stronger as well.It seems he has got to the stage for him & the teams development that he needs to take the next step.
I cant see him debuting this week but how fitting would it be for for Ocka to debut in Johnnos record breaking game with the Skip handing him his jumper prior to the game.It would be a romantic & bulldog thing to do.Hope it happens he has well deserved it.

I like this idea PupDog reminicent of young Dales first game

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 08:03 PM

Make it SO!

Big_Willba
25-07-2009, 11:48 PM

with tonights performances and injuries....

huge chance.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 12:14 AM
with tonights performances and injuries....

huge chance.

The point was made to the St Kilda players last year with Dal Santo and Milne dropped that NO ONE was immune from demotion, despite Dal Santo picking up tons of cheap possessions across half back. The whole team sat up and took notice, and we are seeing the results of that now. Milne even tackles now.

This is in stark contrast to our selection policy, where players are played on reputation and never ever dropped despite weeks on end of shite. If we are serious about contending and not being third every year a point has to be made that no name is too big to be dropped, and certainly there are standards to be upheld within the team, regardless of reputation.

comrade
26-07-2009, 12:17 AM
This is in stark contrast to our selection policy, where players are played on reputation and never ever dropped despite weeks on end of shite. If we are serious about contending and not being third every year a point has to be made that no name is too big to be dropped, and certainly there are standards to be upheld within the team, regardless of reputation.

Well said.

It must start this week.

Remi Moses
26-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Must come in now. Just putting an all points bulletin out on the whereabouts of Adam Cooney. :eek::eek: