PDA

View Full Version : Membership Initiatives

comrade
21-07-2009, 10:41 PM
The final membership numbers have been released and disappointingly we couldn't crack the magical 30,000 that Rose and Smorgon have been striving for.

This thread is for any ideas you have for the club to try and boost their numbers next year. Rational and thought out responses are always welcome, but so are any weird and wacky suggestions as rational and well thought out haven't gotten the job done yet (although our club leaders have done a very good job to get to where we are).

My first suggestion:

Pick Majak Daw as a rookie and put plenty of work into the Sudanese community.

So, have at it.

(Note: Please try and refrain from saying 'win a premiership' :))

GVGjr
21-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I'd like to see a call centre of retired players do a call out on a particular day to those members who aren't signing up.

I'd imagine it would be doubly hard to say no to Doug Hawkins or Chris Grant.
A 4 hour blitz one evening by a dozen ex players could really get the ball rolling.

comrade
21-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I always hate hearing about kids who choose other teams even though at least one parent supports the Bulldogs.

How about a program where the Club offers perks to families who have newborns that gives incentive for them to ensure the kid is brainwashed (similar to the baby bonus).

BulldogBelle
21-07-2009, 10:56 PM
An invitation distributed to all the lapsed members to visit the ELC one evening and have a few players there to meet, greet and have a chat with them might spark a few more signatures.

Rocco Jones
21-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I would like us to extend our Bulldogs Friendly Businesses program where members get special offers. We went to Bettenay's in Williamstown recently and found out Bulldogs members get a free glass of wine with every meal. It would be great if restaurants and cafes in the West could get behind the club and offer similar deals.

Sockeye Salmon
21-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Free kids memberships.

Sockeye Salmon
21-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Grand final tickets allocated on the basis of the number of consecutive years membership (kids can still accompany qualified adults).

comrade
21-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Grand final tickets allocated on the basis of the number of consecutive years membership (kids can still accompany qualified adults).

Considering we haven't played in a GF since 1961, would this actually incentivise those who are on the edge?

GVGjr
21-07-2009, 11:02 PM

I think that one would scare some of the iffy members off. I tend to agree with it but it won't attract members.

Rocco Jones
21-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Do as much as possible with schools. I am a teacher at a primary school in Flemington. My partner runs the after school program and contacted the Dogs, North and Essendon about getting footballs and anything else they could offer.

North sent over a heap of DVDs, bandannas, wrist bands, magazines and stickers.

Essendon have asked her to send an application form and are keen to send over footballs and other equipment.

Bulldogs sent over some stickers.

I know Flemington is technically in the northern suburbs but I still think we can make a bigger effort than that. Thanks to me and Aker, the Dogs are the most well supported team at the school.

Mantis
21-07-2009, 11:11 PM
How about the club send out a mail out to all our non-members and find out what is holding them back from becoming a member. Getting names and details shouldn't be too hard and it would make for some interesting reading. In reality the club is doing everything within it's control to attract new members with the team performing well and the monthly payment plans, etc.. but for some reason the numbers just aren't improving.

If it is simple is giving their most loathed player the boot I think the club should be able to come to some sort of arrangement... Shit I would buy an extra 5 memberships if they did this for me. :D

Rocco Jones
21-07-2009, 11:14 PM
If it is simple is giving their most loathed player the boot I think the club should be able to come to some sort of arrangement... Shit I would buy an extra 5 memberships if they did this for me. :D

Very good :)

The Coon Dog
21-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm not too sure the AFL would permit it, but could the club have people questioning supporters attending games who are in line buying tickets to find out why they're not a member?

Perhaps all members could supply a name/address of someone they know isn't a member & have the club mail/ring them.

comrade
21-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm not too sure the AFL would permit it, but could the club have people questioning supporters attending games who are in line buying tickets to find out why they're not a member?

Perhaps all members could supply a name/address of someone they know isn't a member & have the club mail/ring them.

Is there a program in place for that already - Lost Dogs or something?

Is there an incentive for existing members to refer non-members?

comrade
21-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Harold from Neighbours is a big Williamstown fan. Surely we can recruit him to the Bulldogs and take him around on school visits.

Who wouldn't want to join up if Harold asked nicely?

LostDoggy
21-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I too would like players and ex players calling the members who have not resigned. Maintaining the members are very important, as Campbell Rose did say that around 6000 members did not resign.

To gain new members, how about offering a new car with a lucky draw. Of all membership numbers.
The cost of $1 from each membership to go towards the program. The winner will be anounced at the bulldog family day. (Make sure people sign up early to qualify.
Or
Offer Alan Mance Holden to donate a car for the program, in exchange for advertising to members.
What are your thoughts.

The Adelaide Connection
22-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Sign on Barry Hall and send him round to any lapsed members houses. That way he should be all punched out before the season starts and suspension wont be an issue.

comrade
22-07-2009, 12:03 AM
I too would like players and ex players calling the members who have not resigned. Maintaining the members are very important, as Campbell Rose did say that around 6000 members did not resign.

To gain new members, how about offering a new car with a lucky draw. Of all membership numbers.
The cost of $1 from each membership to go towards the program. The winner will be anounced at the bulldog family day. (Make sure people sign up early to qualify.
Or
Offer Alan Mance Holden to donate a car for the program, in exchange for advertising to members.
What are your thoughts.

Not bad - it offers a real incentive for signing up early, which is crucial.

Perks and giveaways only go so far though. It's almost like an education process needs to occur.

The Adelaide Connection
22-07-2009, 12:07 AM
-To continue to lobby the AFL for a back to back game in Darwin and push for more members up there.

-To get someone onto cleaning up the shambles that is the membership area on our website. Last year was so much clearer in terms of the breakdown of each membership.

The Adelaide Connection
22-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Do as much as possible with schools. I am a teacher at a primary school in Flemington. My partner runs the after school program and contacted the Dogs, North and Essendon about getting footballs and anything else they could offer.

North sent over a heap of DVDs, bandannas, wrist bands, magazines and stickers.

Essendon have asked her to send an application form and are keen to send over footballs and other equipment.

Bulldogs sent over some stickers.

I know Flemington is technically in the northern suburbs but I still think we can make a bigger effort than that. Thanks to me and Aker, the Dogs are the most well supported team at the school.

More Bulldogs members need to move into teaching. I am a teacher and pretty much every kid now has the Bulldogs listed as their second team, with more and more bumping it up to their first. This is all without hardly any brainwashing or threats of bad grades.

comrade
22-07-2009, 12:18 AM
-To continue to lobby the AFL for a back to back game in Darwin and push for more members up there.

Good call on Darwin.

Maybe we could follow Hawthorn's lead and beam a kids show into the Northern Territory of a Saturday morning.

Will and Huddo to host.

AndrewP6
22-07-2009, 12:29 AM
More Bulldogs members need to move into teaching. I am a teacher and pretty much every kid now has the Bulldogs listed as their second team, with more and more bumping it up to their first. This is all without hardly any brainwashing or threats of bad grades.

I'm a teacher too...in the sth-eastern suburbs... not a huge number of Dogs fans at my school...but Gia's niece is in my year level!!!

BulldogBelle
22-07-2009, 02:41 AM
A huge investment in promotion. Give away free of charge membership tickets with full rights to people who live in the country. Start from Mildura and work down to Ballarat and Torquay. Plan to give 250,000 away at least. Do this for 3 years running. Will cost initially but will pay in the long run.

Will have to make special rules re admissions etc. Will only be successful if the team is successful. Should have done this years ago in 1996 when I first suggested it.

Give membership tickets to schools as prizes in their school raffles.

You have to invest to make money. You normally have to take risks. You can minimise the risks by careful planning and testing. People usually wont do these sort of things because it seems too hard, they think up excuses then forget about it.

I also like the idea of trying to maintain members by rewarding years of membership. The lure of special recognition for long membership may spur some members to keep signing on. Like they way the banks do this sort of thing with credit cards.

GVGjr
22-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Is the issue about providing more value within the current membership packages or finding ways of attracting and keeping additional members?

I think offering 3, 4 and 5 game membership packages may work at attracting some members who are just too busy to utilise 11 or 17 games options.

I know of one person that hasn't joined up this season because he and his family can't attend Sunday games. If there was a membership package that gave him 3 or 4 Saturday games he probably would take that option.

Mantis
22-07-2009, 09:29 AM
I think offering 3, 4 and 5 game membership packages may work at attracting some members who are just too busy to utilise 11 or 17 games options.

I think these reduced game memberships are something worth investigating. I know that Hawthorn & Collingwood push this type of membership with success.

Even if they only sell an extra 1,000 at say $60 each for 3 games it still adds 60K to the bottom line which at the very least pays for an extra staff member in the footy department.

Sockeye Salmon
22-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Considering we haven't played in a GF since 1961, would this actually incentivise those who are on the edge?

I wasn't meaning as a way to entice members, more as a way to try to keep the 8000 that drop off each year.

It's much easier to keep the ones you've got than to find new ones.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 11:12 AM
An invitation distributed to all the lapsed members to visit the ELC one evening and have a few players there to meet, greet and have a chat with them might spark a few more signatures.

I think that's a brilliant idea!

One thing I'd like to see more of is a little more player/supporter interaction on game day. Even though I think, and know from experience, that the Western Bulldogs are a great family club....you never see them greeting the crowd or giving stuff away (like hats, towels, balls etc) at the end of game.
We often see other clubs (Saints, Hawks, Cats to name a few) handing out and even signing stuff at the end of a game. And they have larger numbers, mmmmm?!?!?

Why do the Doggies boys just gather at the top of the race and walk down together, not even a wave to the crown often? I can't work it out. I get it when they loose, but with a win it's be nice for them to at least acknowledge us, their loyal supporters.

One more thing, I have heard from a few people that they are less than impressed with the girls on the phone at the kennel. Perhaps some 'happier' call center staff might help? :p

aker39
22-07-2009, 11:20 AM
....you never see them greeting the crowd or giving stuff away (like hats, towels, balls etc) at the end of game.

The gave away tea towels all last year.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Is the issue about providing more value within the current membership packages or finding ways of attracting and keeping additional members?

I know of one person that hasn't joined up this season because he and his family can't attend Sunday games. If there was a membership package that gave him 3 or 4 Saturday games he probably would take that option.

This is probably a good idea, however, I am sometimes unable to utilise my membership for whatever reason but that's just part of it. I figure I would rather support my club with a membership even if I can't make it to all games in the season. To be quite truthful, I think that having retired player's calling lapsed members and asking why they haven't renewed could work well. I also seem to recall a few years ago, the club had functions for members only - I went to a lunch where 2 players sat at each table with us. Perhaps my memory is wrong about this, and it was for everyone? Anyway, why not hold functions just for members - there has got to be tangible benefits other than a scarf/pashima or cap, surely? :o

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 11:58 AM
The gave away tea towels all last year.

mmmmm, did they? - I never saw it. :o Must have been done very quietly. They are fairly humble most of the time I guess.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 12:01 PM
mmmmm, did they? - I never saw it. :o Must have been done very quietly. They are fairly humble most of the time I guess.

Yeah, they did after each win - it was the Teddy Whitten towel. The players dispersed to all sections of the ground with a few of the towels to give away. If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't this type of thing started by our long lost coach, Wallet?

Bulldog4life
22-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I would like the Club to investigate the following:

1/ The "exact reason" why each member doesn't join the following season. If this means contacting them again so be it but the Club needs this breakdown if it doesn't have it already. I would like the Club to also let our current members know of the result.

2/ I would also like to survey these same people and ask them what does the Club have to do to get them to join again and to continue to buy a membership each year. Again I would like the Club to keep their current members in the loop.

If the Club could go back over the past couple of years for this information I think it would be very beneficial in the long term.

We have to know the exact reasons why these people are not rejoining and not assume the reasons why for our Club to successfully entice them to join again.

This same type of survey can also be done at the game too when Western Bulldog supporters are buying their general admission tickets at our home games.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Some bold advertising ala Carlton, instead of "They know we're coming", how about, "We're already here"

I think promotions have potential: a few ideas:

- How about every 100th or 250th person to sign up receieves their membership for free.
- Every 50th person to sign up receieves a signed team guernsey (minimal cost and effort)
- The raffled car I think is a great idea
- Four trips (flights and accomodation) to our Darwin games (Travel with the team)
- To increase members feeling of being a part of the team, random draww from membership pool each week to be in the rooms before and after the game each week.

I think if such promotions were advertised effectively, people may feel that they can justify their membership investment (I know supporting the greatest team should be enough).

Sedat
22-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Any chance you can do a couple of years around the Kew neck of the woods? Not much fun being surrounded by Range Rovers with shiny new Hawthorn scarves. I don't think these scarves saw the light of day when such luminaries as Nick Ries, Michael Collica, Richard Taylor and Craig Treleven were running around in the brown and gold.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Some great ides & I guess they have to be split into 3 catergories: a) attracting new members & b) retaining existing members & c) rejoining lapsed members.

With new members its a matter of ascertaining why they joined up in the first place. If they did it because it benefits the club, then hopefully they're in for life. If they did it because they want something out of it, then its a matter of trying to ensure they do get what they want, within reason.

Again, with existing members its a matter of ensuring they are fully aware of all membership options & like above, ensuring membership is relevant.

I've said it a few times that exit surveys are a must. There have to be reasons members don't renew. What are they? How can they be addressed?

soupman
22-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Give away free of charge membership tickets with full rights to people who live in the country.

They do something similiar to this already. For child members from previous seasons that didn't sign up this year the club sent out free childrens memberships in their name.

I think this is a good idea because it:
a) Shows the club cares
b) Commits the kid to the Bulldogs
c) Means that if the kid goes to the footy, the parents have to go as well. Therefore the parents either buy a membership or just rock up, either way increasing attendance and potentially gaining long term supporters
d) Its for minimum cost. Kids memberships aren't very expensive.

aker39
22-07-2009, 01:25 PM
They do something similiar to this already. For child members from previous seasons that didn't sign up this year the club sent out free childrens memberships in their name.

Also, you gets 2 kids memberships for free with a family membership already.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 02:02 PM
This requires a bit of thinking outside the square...

it needs to be something that makes people want to join... and want to be apart of.. is anyone in marketing?

US Baseball does some interesting things theme days... maybe members could get prize or something

On another note Collingwood sell 3 or 5 game Memberships (they would count towards the overall number)

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Feedback this year about the membership department has been quite negative, the department needs to be reviewed and the kinks ironed out.

I don't think we have the resources for all the giveaways that clubs like Collingwood and Essendon can afford, but we need to put more effort into the schools, no kid wants to barrack for the cheapo team.

My suggestions not necessarily in order: (1)

We need to promote some of our celebrity members - or recruit celebrities to become well known members. For instance Sydney has the Dalai Lama, Nicole Kidman and others, Carlton has Megan, Twigley and had Pratt etc etc. Even North Melbourne has Ponting.

We have.........Ernie Sigley:o So, we need to scan who is coming to our fair shores and invite them to our game as a VIP guest and give them a free membership, scarf, hat etc and PR the whole event. We have members who are influential in the sporting world through the media can't they pull some strings.
I love the club, but the club through other people's eyes, is plain and potentially boring. We have some of the sexiest players in the AFL (looking at you Gia, Higgins and Minson) but don't promote them enough, and considering so many women follow AFL - we are missing out on marketing them (tastefully of course).

(2) The Western Region covers a very diverse community, I thought it was an excellent idea stated previously to recruit Majik Dawes as a rookie and use him as our ambassador to tap into the African communities on our doorstep - before another club does this!

(3) I like the idea of the 3 game membership, and I think the Vic Uni memberships took off OK, I remember seeing several students from VU posting on various blogs who had enjoyed the games they got free and were looking at purchasing memberships the following year.

I(4) don't think we should be hosting raffles or anything if you buy a membership, it cheapens our brand. However, a random selected member to have dinner with a player of your choice for early sign ups, or join the president in his room on gameday or something like that is affordable by the club, but would appeal to members and potential members.

(5) Develop the social club so it is a vital part of the community, somewhere nice to go for meals, watch our interestate games etc. It would encourage members to bring other people who could potentially become members - once again being mindful of our diverse communities.

(6) Scarves with number of years membership written on it. A reward to members who have been there for 5, 10, 15, 20 etc -it could be a free meal for one at the social club, or being allowed in the rooms after a game, or something that strengthens their feeling of being connected to the club.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 02:56 PM
- To increase members feeling of being a part of the team, random draww from membership pool each week to be in the rooms before and after the game each week.

I think if such promotions were advertised effectively, people may feel that they can justify their membership investment (I know supporting the greatest team should be enough).

That's a good one! Great incentive for the die hards that haven't signed up. But then I guess they wouln't be die hards, would they!!

AndrewP6
22-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Feedback this year about the membership department has been quite negative, the department needs to be reviewed and the kinks ironed out.

I don't think we have the resources for all the giveaways that clubs like Collingwood and Essendon can afford, but we need to put more effort into the schools, no kid wants to barrack for the cheapo team.

My suggestions not necessarily in order: (1)

We need to promote some of our celebrity members - or recruit celebrities to become well known members. For instance Sydney has the Dalai Lama, Nicole Kidman and others, Carlton has Megan, Twigley and had Pratt etc etc. Even North Melbourne has Ponting.

We have.........Ernie Sigley:o So, we need to scan who is coming to our fair shores and invite them to our game as a VIP guest and give them a free membership, scarf, hat etc and PR the whole event. We have members who are influential in the sporting world through the media can't they pull some strings.
I love the club, but the club through other people's eyes, is plain and potentially boring. We have some of the sexiest players in the AFL (looking at you Gia, Higgins and Minson) but don't promote them enough, and considering so many women follow AFL - we are missing out on marketing them (tastefully of course).

(2) The Western Region covers a very diverse community, I thought it was an excellent idea stated previously to recruit Majik Dawes as a rookie and use him as our ambassador to tap into the African communities on our doorstep - before another club does this!

(3) I like the idea of the 3 game membership, and I think the Vic Uni memberships took off OK, I remember seeing several students from VU posting on various blogs who had enjoyed the games they got free and were looking at purchasing memberships the following year.

I(4) don't think we should be hosting raffles or anything if you buy a membership, it cheapens our brand. However, a random selected member to have dinner with a player of your choice for early sign ups, or join the president in his room on gameday or something like that is affordable by the club, but would appeal to members and potential members.

(5) Develop the social club so it is a vital part of the community, somewhere nice to go for meals, watch our interestate games etc. It would encourage members to bring other people who could potentially become members - once again being mindful of our diverse communities.

(6) Scarves with number of years membership written on it. A reward to members who have been there for 5, 10, 15, 20 etc -it could be a free meal for one at the social club, or being allowed in the rooms after a game, or something that strengthens their feeling of being connected to the club.

Nice ideas, D.A.B (sorry, best abbreviation I could come up with!) My thoughts, numbered as you did...

1 - Surely you're forgetting the fabulous LYNNE KOSKY, M.P!:p AYou're right, I reckon our media dept. could push us out there a bit more. Make us cool (cooler?)
2- Majak Daw - yep, definitely could get him on board in some way.
3- 3game memberships are good idea.
4- Like the idea of giving members some extra reward...others see it, and want to be involved
5- Since I upgraded to SC, it's been good to be able to go there, have a nice feed, meet a few WOOFers!
6- Reckon the yearly m'ship cap is getting a bit old...another poster here said there's only so many caps you can have!... Time to branch out a bit, I think.

Rocco Jones
22-07-2009, 07:04 PM
We received the Bulldogs stickers today and our kids were very excited by them. North sent us over way more stuff but our kids weren't nearly as keen.

Mantis
22-07-2009, 07:10 PM
We received the Bulldogs stickers today and our kids were very excited by them. North sent us over way more stuff but our kids weren't nearly as keen.

A good school teacher would have made sure the North stuff never arrived to be shown to the kids, never heard of the lost in the post line.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Receiving the free scarves has been a good idea, really disappointed that they only had female scarves available this year, or those daggy caps.

Perhaps they can have prizes based on when someone joins? For example, if you join in November for the following year you get 10 chances to win, but if you join in May for that year, you only get 1 chance to win, the prize being the chance to go out on the ground and toss the coin (or something "cool" like that?)

I love this club, so I join up each year regardless, but I do feel that the club doesn't do enough to make people feel part of the experience. It's difficult to get a good response when you call them, and there's not a lot of interaction between the club and supporters.

I don't really have a lot of ideas, but we need to do something, because this is a great club, and we shouldn't be at the bottom of the membership ladder each year.

Rocco Jones
22-07-2009, 07:53 PM
A good school teacher would have made sure the North stuff never arrived to be shown to the kids, never heard of the lost in the post line.

:D Very good.

It's all Esther's fault. She is in charge of after school care and arranged the packages. I had a go at her for contacting Essendon and North Melbourne.

It's amazing that we are the most well supported club at the school. Our bursar (dogs fan obviously) and I have donated heaps of caps and scarves to the kids.

hujsh
22-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Some celeb Dogs supporters here (http://footy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_celebrity_supporters_of_AFL_clubs#Carlton_Football_C lub)

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Some celeb Dogs supporters here (http://footy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_celebrity_supporters_of_AFL_clubs#Carlton_Football_C lub)

Sarah Jane is #1 female ticket holder? Wow - best kept secret of the WB, that one!! Get her involved more please!! ;)

BulldogBelle
22-07-2009, 08:10 PM
How would you like to be rewarded after two consequetive years, five years, ten years and twenty years of membership?

Is there something the club could do at the Whitten Oval?

I like to idea of the bricks that the Tigers have done at Punt Road...but the Dogs need to tie it to loyalty.... (not necessarily bricks)

AndrewP6
22-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Interesting read... My cunning plan:

Get Russell, Will and Merv to appear for the comedic value (yeah, I know, Merv's a "sportsman" but he's funny. Don't think that guy from the Chasers team is funny, so keep him out, and make him attempt a break-in, thereby gaining us valuable airtime.

Keep John Howard OUT, thereby increasing the comfort factor for those in attendance at games.

Get the golfer, motorbike rider and cricketers to send some freebies to give to the fans (they've gotta be good for something!)

Give Fifi Box and Sarah-Jane lifelong memberships, and limousine rides to each game. AND let the most humorous poster (HINT HINT!!) on woof.net.au sit in between them at the game. That, along with a premiership, and I'm a happy man.

There, that oughta do it.

BulldogBelle
22-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Receiving the free scarves has been a good idea, really disappointed that they only had female scarves available this year, or those daggy caps.

Perhaps they can have prizes based on when someone joins? For example, if you join in November for the following year you get 10 chances to win, but if you join in May for that year, you only get 1 chance to win, the prize being the chance to go out on the ground and toss the coin (or something "cool" like that?)

I love this club, so I join up each year regardless, but I do feel that the club doesn't do enough to make people feel part of the experience. It's difficult to get a good response when you call them, and there's not a lot of interaction between the club and supporters.

I don't really have a lot of ideas, but we need to do something, because this is a great club, and we shouldn't be at the bottom of the membership ladder each year.

Touched on a really good point here...

Im sure that it would add significant value to the membership if every week a small amount of members were selected to do the following;

a) visit the players rooms post match
b) dine in the presidents club
c) sit within the cheer squad
d) sit in the past players room
e) be allocated seats/positions in other parts of the ground where thy couldnt normally visit

Hopefully this would increase their involvement with the club

Its also something that the club could promote on its website ie look at little Jimmy the 12 year old and his mum visiting the change rooms after the match

Its something that wouldnt cost the club a whole heap of money either...where I'm sure most of the above wouldnt be at capacity every week

BulldogBelle
22-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I think these reduced game memberships are something worth investigating. I know that Hawthorn & Collingwood push this type of membership with success.

Even if they only sell an extra 1,000 at say $60 each for 3 games it still adds 60K to the bottom line which at the very least pays for an extra staff member in the footy department.

This is another great idea Mantis

The other advantage with this is that it gives us a relationship with the individual (and their family), for future upsell/cross sell to a full membership package in future years

BulldogBelle
22-07-2009, 09:07 PM
I would like the Club to investigate the following:

1/ The "exact reason" why each member doesn't join the following season. If this means contacting them again so be it but the Club needs this breakdown if it doesn't have it already. I would like the Club to also let our current members know of the result.

2/ I would also like to survey these same people and ask them what does the Club have to do to get them to join again and to continue to buy a membership each year. Again I would like the Club to keep their current members in the loop.

If the Club could go back over the past couple of years for this information I think it would be very beneficial in the long term.

We have to know the exact reasons why these people are not rejoining and not assume the reasons why for our Club to successfully entice them to join again.

This same type of survey can also be done at the game too when Western Bulldog supporters are buying their general admission tickets at our home games.

I have worked before managing marketing campaigns to win customers back to different companies (you probably all hate me)

Realise its a different business to footy but here are my thoughts

You need a couple of things to make this work;

a) a good customer management system ie identifies who left, record when they left, why they didnt sign up again...the doggies need to record customer details from years ago...ie create a doggies supporters universe of records

b) you need to call them several times, and keep calling them even after they say no once. You will be surprised how many people say no the first time and yes the second time (in a space of 2 months)

c) you need to send them some written context on 'the offer' prior to calling them...so they know the pricing, whats it in for them etc

d) you need to pay your staff a great commision to incent them to 'hunt' the sale....ie $$$s directly in the pocket of the staff member. I would suggest a combination of players (find out who the members fav player is and try to get them to call 50 lapsed members), the doggies other staff, and professional telemarketers

BulldogBelle
22-07-2009, 09:13 PM
This requires a bit of thinking outside the square...

it needs to be something that makes people want to join... and want to be apart of.. is anyone in marketing?

US Baseball does some interesting things theme days... maybe members could get prize or something

On another note Collingwood sell 3 or 5 game Memberships (they would count towards the overall number)

People will want a prize that they see obtainable...not something that another 100,000 may have a chance at winning...its not Tattslotto

So we need to offer prizes that every man and his dog will think 'hey I have a shot at winning if I enter, I'll give it a go'

GVGjr
22-07-2009, 09:18 PM
There seems to be a lot of people wanting the club to offer additional value to memberships but I really don't think it will attract the fence sitters.

Mantis
22-07-2009, 09:41 PM
There seems to be a lot of people wanting the club to offer additional value to memberships but I really don't think it will attract the fence sitters.

Agree.

The reason I buy a membership is to financially support the team I barrack for knowing that the money I spend helps them remain viable. (+ to gain access to our games)

If people need other motivations such as possible prizes then they aren't buying a membership for the right reason.

hujsh
22-07-2009, 10:05 PM
If people need other motivations such as possible prizes then they aren't buying a membership for the right reason.

I don't care why people buy them as long as the club gets it's money.

Bulldog Joe
22-07-2009, 10:14 PM
The way to build membership is through the next generation, which means Junior membership.

What about a scheme where junior members join through their school and get a discount of maybe 10% for all memberships and in addition there is a donation of some sort to the school based on the membership.

You could even arrange that players would visit the school based on achieving a certain membership number. Adult memberships could also be purchased as part of the school system. The schools could also have days set aside to visit Whitten Oval facilities.

You could also make a home game schools day and allow non members to buy a half price ticket through schools and have some sort of draw to allow a certain number form an honour guard for the team to run through. That would provide a big crowd boost for home games against Fremantle and West Coast.

Mantis
22-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I don't care why people buy them as long as the club gets it's money.

But we need at attract people who will stay members year after year and long after the gimmicks are gone.

The Adelaide Connection
22-07-2009, 10:32 PM

Great call. IMO the more options available & more flexibility = more people. I pay for a membership that I don't use for more than a few games a year but I am not supporting a family yet and I imagine those that are may find it difficult to throw coin at something they wont/cant use.

Just a side note, does anyone think signing Hall would increase memberships? I have a suspicion that it may not be quite as big as the Cousins or Judd moves, but I think it would still create a buzz.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 10:36 PM
But we need at attract people who will stay members year after year and long after the gimmicks are gone.

Good marketing campaigns use gimmicks to get people in, and maintain them, knowing that the product will keep the customer over time. We need to find ways to entice people to the club, knowing that we have a great product.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Agree with all the above great suggestions....

How about we ask all current members to pledge signing up two new members
The three members are then put into the draw for the Alan Mance car to be drawn at a team function held at our ELC

STAND AND DELIVER

strebla
23-07-2009, 05:24 PM
When I was at primary school each class had I think 2 memberships to give away each week maybe not ground breaking but it worked for me.

Is Lynne Kosky not deemed famous enough to make that famous people who support the bulldogs list ex Footscray mayor,number on female ticket holder and senior state member would think she would get a gig!!!!

Mantis
23-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Agree with all the above great suggestions....

How about we ask all current members to pledge signing up two new members
The three members are then put into the draw for the Alan Mance car to be drawn at a team function held at our ELC

STAND AND DELIVER

We now have 28,000 members. If all of us sign up 2 it would mean that we have 84,000.

Somehow I don't think that is achievable.

comrade
23-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Another idea:

As part of the membership pack, you get a dvd of either a classic match or highlights of a former player's career.

For example, next year when you sign up you can either choose the WBD vs WCE game from 97 (last at Whitten Oval) or a Scott West highlight DVD.

Mantis
23-07-2009, 09:15 PM
For example, next year when you sign up you can either choose the WBD vs WCE game from 97 (last at Whitten Oval) or a Scott West highlight DVD.

And if you get a blank DVD that's the Nathan Eagleton highlights package. :D

comrade
23-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Well played, sir.

strebla
23-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Just can't seem to let them go through to the keeper I really like your idea Comrade

The Adelaide Connection
23-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Or a copy of the elusive "Year of the Dog".

BulldogBelle
23-07-2009, 10:16 PM
We now have 28,000 members. If all of us sign up 2 it would mean that we have 84,000.

Somehow I don't think that is achievable.

1) I dont like rewarding disloyalty, but as a once off, a car could be drawn in April/May...and the only people inviated to enter would be people who dont purchase their membership by then....but only if the club didnt have to buy the bloody car....just need to keep the raffle on the down-low...ie no pasting it all over the web

2) I'm a fan of 3 of 4 game membership cards BUT its important that we dont canabilise our revenue here...ie from people who would have normally taken up a 11 game membership.....we would need to price those memberships in a way that supporters wouldnt give up spending $200+ on a 11 game membership....ie offset value with price

3) I would be interested to see how the club has gone about trying to contact these 6-8k supporters that didnt sign up this year.....I'm all for having Smorgan and Rose get on radio/press and have a whinge.....but ONLY after we have had a red hot go at winning these people over....ie 2 phone calls, email, mail etc

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

AndrewP6
23-07-2009, 10:33 PM
How about sending our new recruit Bazza around on house calls to all lapsed members. I reckon he could talk a few round to signing up again!

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I know last year i helped out ringing past supporters and asking why they havent joined up again(i was paired with Andrew McDougall, with Will Minson sitgting opposite me and Malcolm Lynch next to me, fair to say i couldnt concentrate properly hahah)

Doogs and myself ended up getting about 6 people to join up, not as many as some other players, but hey 6 is better than nothing.

Most reasons why people wern't joinging up were
*Didnt have the cash
*Have moved interstate, so didnt see any point joinging when they couldn't go to games
*One person i had to ring even said they wern't joing because they didnt get the scarf the club said they would(this was a few ago they told me)....poor excuse if you ask me.

Not sure if the club did a ring around again this year, but i think it works, especially when you have current players doing it, it takes 2 hours one night, ring as many people as you can, and see what you get out of it.

Wouldnt it be good if the club could send players to the house(of the people who havent singed up), would be pretty hard to say no to Ben HUdson or Will Minson hahahaah..

AndrewP6
23-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Wouldnt it be good if the club could send players to the house(of the people who havent singed up), would be pretty hard to say no to Ben HUdson or Will Minson hahahaah..

Or Bazza...I refer you to my earlier post.

The Adelaide Connection
24-07-2009, 12:35 AM
How about sending our new recruit Bazza around on house calls to all lapsed members. I reckon he could talk a few round to signing up again!

Sounds familiar ;)

Sign on Barry Hall and send him round to any lapsed members houses. That way he should be all punched out before the season starts and suspension wont be an issue.

AndrewP6
24-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Sounds familiar ;)

Apologies TAC, I thought I was being original! Will try to read more closely next time!:)

The Adelaide Connection
24-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Apologies TAC, I thought I was being original! Will try to read more closely next time!:)

Ha ha no worries. Great minds think alike!