PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs to speak to Hall

BulldogBelle
22-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Looks like the Dogs are keen to chat to Barry Hall...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x227/freeds1/Hall.jpg

Bulldogs to speak to Hall (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/bulldogs-to-speak-to-hall/2009/07/21/1247941916388.html)
The Age
Jake Niall | July 22, 2009

THE Western Bulldogs have confirmed that they will speak to Barry Hall before season's end in a bid to ascertain whether he is interested in playing football next year.

While the Dogs have been coy about their interest in the key forward, who quit the Swans and football earlier this month, the club said last night that it would speak to Hall later this season, to find out what he intended to do in 2010.

Hall has not ruled out returning to football, having suggested — before his exit from the Swans — that he might be best to find another club next year.

Bulldogs football operations manager James Fantasia said the club would talk to Hall about his plans for next year.

"We'd certainly at some point speak with him and ask about his intentions," Fantasia said of Hall, whom the club showed strong interest in acquiring at the end of last year, when the Swans opted to retain him. "We'll talk to him."

Fantasia said the Dogs would not talk to Hall immediately, because it was a list-management issue that "usually takes place later this year". The club hoped to speak to Hall in about a month.

Hall has not indicated whether he will play football, or pursue other interests, such as a professional boxing career, next year.

While the Bulldogs had previously talked down the prospect of enticing Hall to play for them, it is clear that the club retains strong interest in the key forward, subject to certain conditions.

Bulldog forward Bob Murphy said on radio this week that he would be excited by the prospect of Hall in red, white and blue.

The major factor will be cost — in terms of money and the draft.

The Bulldogs, mindful of Hall's age (32), his record of suspensions and the possibility that he might be able to play for only season, cannot afford to pay him at anything like his last Sydney contract.

The Bulldogs also take the view that they would not wish to give up too much in the draft, given Hall's age.

The club considers that Hall would be attractive in the event that he wishes to play, and can be acquired at the right price.

In the football industry, the Bulldogs are considered the best fit for Hall on the grounds that they are close enough to a premiership to take the punt, and that he addresses their long-standing weakness — the absence of a strong-marking power forward.

That the vast majority of clubs have ruled out recruiting Hall works in the Dogs' favour, given that there would be few, if any, other bidders. He will stay on Sydney's list until the end of the season, when he will either be delisted — and thus available in the draft — or picked up via a trade.

While Hall was on a hefty contract in which most of his wages were guaranteed in Sydney, the Dogs would probably seek to pay him on an incentive-based contract — protecting themselves against the risk of a suspension and injury.

Hall has an association with Bulldogs' coach Rodney Eade, who was Sydney coach when Hall crossed from St Kilda to Sydney at the end of 2001.

AndrewP6
22-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, colour me surprised! The GBWO (Get Bazza to Whitten Oval) juggernaut rolls on...

comrade
22-07-2009, 08:48 AM
James Fantasia was on SEN this morning and said the article was a bit of a beat up.

He said they’ll do there due diligence and investigate all options, including Barry Hall – but it’ll be a process that happens later in the year when list management decisions have to be made.

He also said that we have a number of developing key position players and named Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Jones and Roughead, and that their development needs to be considered also.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't think Barry is the right fit for us, I would much rather see one of the kids be given ago before we recruit Hall.
IMO Hall's hands have been terrible for the last two years, and once the ball hits the ground he is pretty much useless... Barry should take up boxing and hit blokes that are expecting it!!

Sedat
22-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't think Barry is the right fit for us, I would much rather see one of the kids be given ago before we recruit Hall.
IMO Hall's hands have been terrible for the last two years, and once the ball hits the ground he is pretty much useless... Barry should take up boxing and hit blokes that are expecting it!!
I couldn't disagree more with the highlighted part. Hall would not have survived at Sydney unless his defensive work was top shelf - aside from Riewoldt, I can't think of a key forward who works harder defensively than Hall. I also question the comment about his hands being terrible - this was certainly a big issue in 2007 and to a lesser extent 2008, but I didn't noticed too much double-grabbing and fumbling at all from him this season.

Super 27
22-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Get him on board if we want to win a flag

bornadog
22-07-2009, 01:26 PM
James Fantasia was on SEN this morning and said the article was a bit of a beat up.

He said they’ll do there due diligence and investigate all options, including Barry Hall – but it’ll be a process that happens later in the year when list management decisions have to be made.

He also said that we have a number of developing key position players and named Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Jones and Roughead, and that their development needs to be considered also.

I thought that was the case.

mighty_west
22-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Which pretty much means we'll definatly talk to Barry, with teams coming out and literally saying NO.

The key forwards will continue to develop with or without Hall, we can see how long it has taken Everitt as an example on how long taller players take to develop as a rule, and Everitt is still yet to demand a position.

I would have also thought that a Grant or Cordy or Boumann will benefit more playing along side Hall whilst developing and playing games rather than being the number one or 2 tall, all of our developing talls have shown at Willy that they can play up the ground as well as deep forward.

strebla
22-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Due dilligence says we talk to him weigh up our options and then decide I am open either way but beleve we must at the very least chat with him.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I say trade for a 4th rounder and modest salary with performance incentives.

If players like Murphy would be excited to have Hall at FF then that is a good sign. Fantasia is playing it down, as he should. But when most clubs have rejected the idea of geting Hall, us saying we will look at him is a sign it is on the radar.

The club won't pay over the odds, so if the right deal could be struck, you would think is at least a fair shot of being a WBFC player next year.

Sedat
22-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I say trade for a 4th rounder and modest salary with performance incentives.
If it actually gets that far, I'd imagine any trade for Hall will involve us not actually foregoing a pick but rather swapping low picks with Sydney, something like our 4th rounder to Sydney for Hall and their 5th rounder. A bit like what we did with the Cats for Tim Callan, and the Ray and Rhyce Shaw trades from last year.

Having officially retired from the Swans, there is absolutely no currency whatsoever for Sydney, so you'd think there will be a goodwill trade done very quickly.

Happy Days
22-07-2009, 04:07 PM
If it actually gets that far, I'd imagine any trade for Hall will involve us not actually foregoing a pick but rather swapping low picks with Sydney, something like our 4th rounder to Sydney for Hall and their 5th rounder. A bit like what we did with the Cats for Tim Callan, and the Ray and Rhyce Shaw trades from last year.

Having officially retired from the Swans, there is absolutely no currency whatsoever for Sydney, so you'd think there will be a goodwill trade done very quickly.

I would be happy with this option, but with Roughead's development, I still think a straight swap for Skipper is the best option for both parties.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Fair enough, I was thinking only having 3 picks and Hall, but having thought about it we could take 4 draft picks and Hall. Then i think you would be right on the money Sedat.

But that would mean 5 delistings without any further rookie spot elevations (Picken/Eagleton in whichever way is a gimme): O'Shea, Wight, Skipper, Welsh and Lynch perhaps? (Assuming Aker and Eagle get another year - If not, perhaps Shaw to be elevated?)

Then next year, 2010, we could be looking at Johno, Aker, Hall, Eagleton - Two F/S this year.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I would be happy with this option, but with Roughead's development, I still think a straight swap for Skipper is the best option for both parties.
What makes you think Sydney would want a Skip, who is a VFL ruckman? I'd be stoked if that's all it took, but I can't see why Sydney would want him?

hujsh
22-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Why would we give anything for Hall? Couldn't we just get him pre-season draft?

Happy Days
22-07-2009, 04:16 PM
What makes you think Sydney would want a Skip, who is a VFL ruckman? I'd be stoked if that's all it took, but I can't see why Sydney would want him?

It smacks of Sydney recruiting, a there-abouts from another club, who could contribute for them immediately.

He has been in great form in the VFL, and is only being kept out of the team by the equally outstanding form of Hudson and Minson.

Sydney need a back-up ruckman, especially if they're sending White forward.

He's only 26.

They're going to get nothing for Hall, and we're the only club interested; why wouldn't they at least have a good look at it.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Why would we give anything for Hall? Couldn't we just get him pre-season draft?
Our last ND pick (which left unused) is the same as the PSD pick. I would trade it away to Sydney, to give them something, and have the deal done early October (trade week) as opposed to December (PSD). Get him into the club and into a big pre-season to ensure his fitness. Sedat's suggestion is losing a few spots towards the end of the draft. Not a great cost to snare him down to the club earlier, one could argue.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2009, 04:26 PM
It smacks of Sydney recruiting, a there-abouts from another club, who could contribute for them immediately.

He has been in great form in the VFL, and is only being kept out of the team by the equally outstanding form of Hudson and Minson.

He's only 26.

They're going to get nothing for Hall, and we're the only club interested; why wouldn't they at least have a good look at it.
All very fair points. But I still think of Streety and even more so when talking about Skip's future and great VFL form. Sydney showed no interest in Streety who had a very good VFL season last year, better than Skips 2009, and White hadn't done anything at that point. But then Skip can move forward with more effect than 'The Tall One'. Perhaps i'm being too harsh on Skip and pessemistic about his future in the AFL. If they took it i'b be very happy for all parties concerned.

Sedat
22-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Fair enough, I was thinking only having 3 picks and Hall, but having thought about it we could take 4 draft picks and Hall.
This of course would be predicated on us actually wanting 4 picks this year - we only took 3 last year and this draft is supposedly weaker. But then our recruiting guys might have their eye on a few speculative picks and might want to hold onto the extra late pick.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 05:17 PM
All very fair points. But I still think of Streety and even more so when talking about Skip's future and great VFL form. Sydney showed no interest in Streety who had a very good VFL season last year, better than Skips 2009, and White hadn't done anything at that point. But then Skip can move forward with more effect than 'The Tall One'. Perhaps i'm being too harsh on Skip and pessemistic about his future in the AFL. If they took it i'b be very happy for all parties concerned.

Remember, Sydney recruited Spider Everitt and also had a ruckman who lasted half a season before retiring (sorry tried to research for the person's name but couldn't find him). The Swan's recruitment team aren't afraid to go after recycled players or veterans who are offered less in terms of years. And I did read somewhere that Sydney was interested Streety, but he wasn't willing to move interstate.

DEX

azabob
22-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Street was actually offered a contract at Brisbane but he turned it down due to his young family and career in the police force at Geelong.

mighty_west
22-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Remember, Sydney recruited Spider Everitt and also had a ruckman who lasted half a season before retiring (sorry tried to research for the person's name but couldn't find him). The Swan's recruitment team aren't afraid to go after recycled players or veterans who are offered less in terms of years. And I did read somewhere that Sydney was interested Streety, but he wasn't willing to move interstate.

DEX

Streety was also offered BIG bucks to play in the SANFL as well, but chose to stay in Vic.

I would actually be happy to see Skip given another shot at it, as he seems to be on death row at the Dogs, and would be happy to see him do good at another club.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 05:36 PM
If the kids are not ready for next season then at the rock bottom price Hall could be a bet to nothing.. if it doesnt come off whats the damage.. the n again when we win the cup this year I buy some tickets to the boxing

Sedat
22-07-2009, 05:39 PM

That was uber-spud from Geelong, Paul Chambers, and they gave up a mid 30's pick for him. He made Streety look like Polly Farmer.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Due dilligence says we talk to him weigh up our options and then decide I am open either way but beleve we must at the very least chat with him.

Agree Strebla, why not have a look at him? I am open either way too, especially if we can pick him up very cheaply :D

bulldogtragic
22-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Street was actually offered a contract at Brisbane but he turned it down due to his young family and career in the police force at Geelong.
I stand corrected.

The question still remains for me whether the Swans would want Skipper. If so great for him and both clubs. I still need convincing.

LostDoggy
22-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Yeah i heard him this morning as well.

Couldn't really gauge what he was thinking, but i reckon they will stick with the young guys.

mighty_west
22-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I stand corrected.

The question still remains for me whether the Swans would want Skipper. If so great for him and both clubs. I still need convincing.

IMO he would be a better option for the Swans than Streeta, he could give Jolley a chop out in the ruck, but also press forward, they will be losing both Hall & MickyO anyway, plus they have White as a developing tall as well, i can see Skip playing a role in a developing side.

AndrewP6
22-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I reckon this is the reverse of the often used " He has our full support", just before someone gets the flick. In this case, the Dogs saying "It's unlikely", means they'll do it!

hujsh
22-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Our last ND pick (which left unused) is the same as the PSD pick. I would trade it away to Sydney, to give them something, and have the deal done early October (trade week) as opposed to December (PSD). Get him into the club and into a big pre-season to ensure his fitness. Sedat's suggestion is losing a few spots towards the end of the draft. Not a great cost to snare him down to the club earlier, one could argue.

I'm all for trading pick 96 but 4th round picks can still be pretty useful.

As long as we win it's all good though

Sockeye Salmon
22-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm all for trading pick 96 but 4th round picks can still be pretty useful.

Not if you only have three vacant spots on the list

BulldogBelle
22-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Think EVERY club, including ours is going to turn a fair bit of their list over at the end of the year, with the GC coming in in 2011....whatever early draft picks we can get our hands on and keep will be extreamly valuable

I wouldnt be happy giving anything earlier than a 4th round pick for Barry

His contract is also very important...we are going to pay him the mega bucks he was on at Sydney, but i'd love to see him get paid bonus $$$s for Bulldog wins that he plays in on top of his base

Wouldnt want to see the club do a Crofty on him though, dont want him going berzerk :eek:

Mitcha
23-07-2009, 06:08 PM
His contract is also very important...we are going to pay him the mega bucks he was on at Sydney, but i'd love to see him get paid bonus $$$s for Bulldog wins that he plays in on top of his base:
On the contrary, if he plays with us next year it will be on OUR terms otherwise he is finished as an AFL footballer. Base contract with a behavioual clause that lets us release him without paying him out if he has a brain fade is what I would be pushing for.

hujsh
26-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Not if you only have three vacant spots on the list

Will we really go another year with only 3 draft picks?

mighty_west
26-07-2009, 02:43 PM

There is no reason why we can't pick up Hall & go in with at least 4 selections in the draft, we may very well also drop a few rookies as well, there would be another few selections.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2009, 05:30 PM

It's a chance, remember it's really only 2/3 of a draft.

Pick 15 is equal to pick 22 in a normal year.
Pick 32 is equal to pick 48
Pick 48 is equal to pick 72.

What are we likely to get with (the equivalent of) pick 100 that we won't get in the rookie draft?

Twodogs
26-07-2009, 06:00 PM

When I read your first post I thought you were either a bit deranged or else I wanted some of what you were smoking:D, but;

He's only 26.

^^^^^
That's a really persuasive post and you changed my mind. Skip could/would be fairly useful for the Swans and it might just be in his best interests to put a plan like that to him.