PDA

View Full Version : Eade - Two year or Three Year Contract

bornadog
23-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I would be happy with three years

bulldogtragic
23-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm happy with 3 years. This club is better with and for him.

Remi Moses
23-07-2009, 03:08 PM
3 for mine. Not 5 like someone else got!:eek:

G-Mo77
23-07-2009, 04:01 PM
I went for 2 years. With coaching I think a shorter deal is the safest way to go. I would not be upset if he got 3, he's earned it.

Topdog
23-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I've gone for 3 as I'd like a bit of stability in this time with the new clubs coming in.

strebla
23-07-2009, 04:52 PM
He has earned a 3 year deal he has been wonderfull for our club

bornadog
23-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Interesting some people have gone for more than 3.

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I went 3 years too. Stability is a good thing. Rocket fits in well at the Bulldogs, and the players see to like & respect him, as do us supporters!!

PS: Can anyone explain to me a simple way of putting a photo on for my avatar? ;-)

bornadog
23-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I went 3 years too. Stability is a good thing. Rocket fits in well at the Bulldogs, and the players see to like & respect him, as do us supporters!!

PS: Can anyone explain to me a simple way of putting a photo on for my avatar? ;-)

I sent you a PM on how. You can also choose some from here:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1167&highlight=avatars

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Three years for me, Rocket seems to be developing the list very well.

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks Bornadog. :-)

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 06:34 PM
3 Years for sure, give him every chance to get us to that one day in September.

GVGjr
23-07-2009, 07:48 PM
The only concern with Eade is that he let things slip straight after he signed his last contract. There may have been some very valid reasons but it was disappointing to say the least.
With that in mind, 2 years would be my preferred offer for him.

BulldogBelle
23-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I went with the 2 year option. After that time is up the club to reassess again.

GVGjr
23-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I went with the 2 year option. After that time is up the club to reassess again.

A good two year effort would also guarantee another 3 year extension.

Dry Rot
23-07-2009, 10:15 PM
2 years for me.

That will make 7 years and every coach at a particular club has a use by date some time. Then review any extension of that carefully.

AndrewP6
23-07-2009, 10:15 PM
3 years for mine... haven't seen anything to doubt his ability. The players appear to like playing for him. And he was nice to me at last year's Family and Community Day. Met him just strolling around early in the piece, and had a good chat, took a photo. Seems very down to earth. Won me over there!

Happy Days
23-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I voted for two years.

We can always give him another contract.

Jasper
23-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I voted for two years.

Thats the way I see it. 2 years might be a lot better for him

Scraggers
23-07-2009, 11:32 PM
I voted for more than three years ... After the tour he gave me of the Whitten Oval refurbishment, he can stay as long as he likes ... how long did Sheedy coach for -- let's see if we can beat that record

LostDoggy
24-07-2009, 01:09 AM
A good two year effort would also guarantee another 3 year extension.

Right on the mark Gary, although I went for three straight up.

LostDoggy
24-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I went 2 years. If it all pans out the way we want the rest will take care of it self and Rocket will be extended further after that.

Bulldog Revolution
24-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I voted 3 but perhaps 2 is the better option and keeps the pressure on him to produce

After all - we are wanting a premiership in the next 3 years, and 2 in the next 5

I think hes a good guy but I'm more interested in results

Topdog
24-07-2009, 01:34 PM
2 years for me.

That will make 7 years and every coach at a particular club has a use by date some time. Then review any extension of that carefully.

I went for 3 with pretty much the same line of thinking. I'd like us to go past the new clubs entering period with him as coach and then look at it after 8 years. If we haven't won a premiership then you would have to start asking questions and possibly try to inject some new ideas into the place.

After 5 years though i have had no major complaints about Rocket and am pleased with the direction the club is going in. We just need to get him to stop saying "pleasing" at press conferences after games;)

Stefcep
24-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I voted for two years.

He might want the security of a 3 year deal.

mighty_west
24-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I also went for 3, Rocket has moulded this side to give us the best chance for success, i can't see why he won't take us all the way, he is also great with the media as well as an extremely smart operator come trade time.

boydogs
24-07-2009, 08:07 PM
We just need to get him to stop saying "pleasing" at press conferences after games;)

That's being really picky, it means we have done well! :D

Bulldog4life
24-07-2009, 08:20 PM
I voted for 3 years. With Rocket we know what we are going to get so it is not like we are employing a new coach and wondering if we are doing the right thing..eg: Rhode.

The players in general seem to enjoy playing under him and more than likely they will also be encouraged to re-sign with us too knowing Rocket will be there for 3 more years.

1eyedog
24-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Two years is a great reward. We'll see how he goes with the retirements of Aker, Johnno, Hudson, Welsh, Eagleton etc.... Coaching at AFL level is a great honour and we can always extent. It's better business in my view.

Topdog
24-07-2009, 08:59 PM
That's being really picky, it means we have done well! :D

haha true I just like listening to him saying it 4-5 times a press conference.

The Doctor
24-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I voted for 3 years.

I think we need a period of consolidation and in my view Eade offers that. He's a very good coach. He is arguably better than anyone currently available. Therefore let's get on with it. After we are on the right path, aren't we?

Jasper
08-08-2009, 09:55 PM
In light of our recent results and and the abysmal performance today would a 3 year deal still be the preferred option? I'm now leaning towards a 2 year deal.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I think we should wait to the end of the year. If we have a disappointing end to the year (generally speaking I would say 2nd week of the finals but it's all relative) I would be pretty much equally happy with 2 years or us looking elsewhere. Definitely not saying we should sack him, just don't have him as an auto-lock. Happy for the club to assess it's options.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I think we should wait to the end of the year. If we have a disappointing end to the year (generally speaking I would say 2nd week of the finals but it's all relative) I would be pretty much equally happy with 2 years or us looking elsewhere. Definitely not saying we should sack him, just don't have him as an auto-lock. Happy for the club to assess it's options.
Who is out there better than Eade though?

GVGjr
08-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Doesn't have a lot to do with the 2 or 3 year option does it?

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 10:06 PM

Not saying there is anyone better mate, just that I would be happy for the club to reassess it's options if we finish off the season poorly. Obviously we need to have plans in place now for such an event.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 10:08 PM

They aren't the only 2 options in the poll though. I thought having a new coach in 2010 would mean that discussion about possibly looking at a new coach would be relevant.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2009, 10:08 PM
For me, sign him for 3 and have it done with. Unlike some in the past, i trust the future of the club in Rod's hands.

GVGjr
08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
They aren't the only 2 options though.

According to the thread title they are but I get your point :)

bulldogtragic
08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Not saying there is anyone better mate, just that I would be happy for the club to reassess it's options if we finish off the season poorly. Obviously we need to have plans in place now for such an event.
I still think sign him. But i think you're right to say there needs to be heavy scrutiny. If there has been this massive ramping of training and 'IF' it backfires on us. Then there needs to be some very strong scrutiny if we got ahead of ourserlves and that cost us.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
According to the thread title they are but I get your point :)

I really should stop editing my posts while others are quoting them! I thought having a new coach in 2010 would mean that discussion about possibly looking at a new coach would be relevant.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I still think sign him. But i think you're right to say there needs to be heavy scrutiny. If there has been this massive ramping of training and 'IF' it backfires on us. Then there needs to be some very strong scrutiny if we got ahead of ourserlves and that cost us.

Yep. By saying we should have a look, I truly don't mean that as a statement that we should get rid of him. Obviously we can't leave it to the end of season to do that due to time constraints.

Overall I am happy with the job Eade is doing but I think consecutive late season fadeouts would raise some doubt over his position.

Jasper
08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
For me, sign him for 3 and have it done with. Unlike some in the past, i trust the future of the club in Rod's hands.

How can you complain about todays result then? A coach shouldnt be handed a 3 year deal on blind faith or because he rates well on the good bloke meter

The Coon Dog
08-08-2009, 10:50 PM

According to Eade's presser tonight, there hasn't, its just total crap. A fallacy perpetuated by one person.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 10:54 PM
According to Eade's presser tonight, there hasn't, its just total crap. A fallacy perpetuated by one person.

I was speaking to the occasional poster known as Pembleton and he told me Higgins said we have been in a heavy training workload during a pre-game interview.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2009, 11:23 PM
How can you complain about todays result then? A coach shouldnt be handed a 3 year deal on blind faith or because he rates well on the good bloke meter
Stupid post. I can complain because many players played poorly. I base my judgement on the coach over his performance since coming to the club. We've gone from basket case to decent team. Sure we're not where we want to be and today's effort highlights that. But Rod's record is quite good for us. On that basis, he should get re-signed and for me, 3 years. Unfortunately i don't change my opinion from week to week about contractual matters, otherwise Lake has come down $30,000pa over the past few weeks after a brilliant month...

BulldogBelle
09-08-2009, 12:06 AM
I was speaking to the occasional poster known as Pembleton and he told me Higgins said we have been in a heavy training workload during a pre-game interview.

Yep, I heard that interview also, Higgins did mention that they were going through a heavier training phase.

AndrewP6
09-08-2009, 12:13 AM

Just think Eade doesn't want to present any "excuses" for what was a terrible performance.

boydogs
09-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Just think Eade doesn't want to present any "excuses" for what was a terrible performance.

Or accept blame? Aker said the training had ramped up as well

AndrewP6
09-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Or accept blame? Aker said the training had ramped up as well

The new conditioning coach would also have to put his hand up, then.

Desipura
09-08-2009, 10:02 AM
I voted for 2 years back when this thread opened, I see nothing to have changed my mind

Dogs 24/7
05-09-2010, 12:58 AM
I think this one might be worth another look.

Did the club get it wrong only going for a 2 year deal instead of the 3 year deal?

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 01:11 AM
I wanted us to sign him to a two year contract last year and I am definitely happy we avoided the three year contract now.

Not sure if it warrants it's own thread but I think that our MC/coaching panel needs a shake up.

Doc26
05-09-2010, 01:16 AM
I wanted us to sign him to a two year contract last year and I am definitely happy we avoided the three year contract now.

Not sure if it warrants it's own thread but I think that our MC/coaching panel needs a shake up.

Yes it does and with a serious rather than lip service review of the entire football operation.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Eade's presser was rubbish.

No wonder we are where we are.

It starts at the top and it works itself down.

comrade
05-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Eade's presser was rubbish.

No wonder we are where we are.

It starts at the top and it works itself down.

Surely, he gave them a public spray Bomber Thompson style "That performance was unacceptable. If any player isn't prepared to work hard to gain the respect we've lost, than let me know and I'll find a replacement".

Surely, it wasn't just repeating some rubbish about 'self belief'.

Doc26
05-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Eade simply did not put any heat on his senior players. Maybe they're simply too fragile to take it. The performance was sold as simply 'another' aberration which of course it isn't. Continued to defend Johnno and indicated he will be playing next week if his body comes up, which it wont but no doubt if true to form he will continue to be selected.

comrade
05-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Eade simply did not put any heat any of the senior players. Maybe they're simply too fragile to take it. I was left feeling it was simply 'another' aberration which of course it isn't. Continued to defend Johnno and indicated he will be playing next week if his body comes up, which it wont but no doubt he will continue to be selected.

If they're too fragile to cop criticism, they either need to stop playing like crap or find another job.

They're paid to be professional footballers with one common goal - a premiership. If their performances are sub-standard, they must be held accountable.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Summary?

The question was asked about taking a risk with injured players and names included Johnson and Higgins. Eade responded with 'Griffen, how did he play?' ... He then went on to say that Johnson was fully fit, no problems, just played poorly. Said Higgins did a reasonable job early as far as his tagging job. Ditto Johnson on Shaw. Quote: "In hindsight, I don't think they were unfit to play."

When asked about older players (Johnson, Eagleton etc.) he said the key was to simply move onto next week. Said that Johnson's form when playing has been OK but had a bad one tonight. Said he's a victim of his own standards, and his own standing in the game. Didn't play well, but everyone has a bad game at some stage. Finished with 'Brad will be playing next week.'

Question about injuries/selection wise for the future. Eade said there wasn't a lot they could do, said Moles was unlucky, but they were very limited to what they could do.

Said they had a plan that was 'pretty well executed' until a few players didn't follow instructions, costing us goals in the first and second quarters. From that point forward we tried to 'take the game on, take risks' because we had to try and win. Felt that we opened them up at times but didn't take our chances.

Asked about the mental state and next week. Eade said he has every confidence in them, they've done it before, mentioned the Hawks QF loss and the rebound from that night. Mentioned the one against Geelong in the QF last year and how we won the next week and said 'that's what we'll do.'

Asked about our form against the top four sides and how far we're off. Eade responded 'I dont know, a piece of string - how long is it? How far off are we? Us at our best, opposition at their best - I don't think we're that far off.'

Few other little things about getting them up mentally and physically for next week, wasn't aware of Barry's report etc. Basically - the same old crap.

Dogs 24/7
05-09-2010, 10:22 AM
So was the 2 year deal that the club and Rocket agreed to the right option?
Do the people of voted for the 3 year term still support that?

azabob
05-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Question about injuries/selection wise for the future. Eade said there wasn't a lot they could do, said Moles was unlucky, but they were very limited to what they could do.

Good to see he is blaming injuries. Another cop out from all and sundry.

The amount of times Eade mentions the mental strength of this group and they will bounce back to me sounds like he doesn't even think they are mentally strong.

Not point having in's and out's section this week there will be no change.

Desipura
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Good to see he is blaming injuries. Another cop out from all and sundry.
Not point having in's and out's section this week there will be no change.
He and the MC should blame themselves for playing injured players.
I would have rather seen some kids gain some invaluable experience than watching a half fit Higgins go around. An ageing and slow Hahn, Eagleton and Johnson.
We were always going to get well beaten with guys playing half fit and players that are well and truly washed up as footballers, it would have been no different with youngsters, at least they can learn what finals footy is about.
Leats not kid ourselves and think we can play in Grand Final this year, lets pick a team for the next final with next year in mind.

azabob
05-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I would have rather seen some kids gain some invaluable experience than watching a half fit Higgins go around. An ageing and slow Hahn, Eagleton and Johnson.
We were always going to get well beaten with guys playing half fit and players that are well and truly washed up as footballers, it would have been no different with youngsters, at least they can learn what finals footy is about.
Leats not kid ourselves and think we can play in Grand Final this year, lets pick a team for the next final with next year in mind.

Couldn't agree more but we know it won't happen.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Who would you bring in and who would you drop, given that the aim is to win not just give young players experience?

Desipura
05-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Who would you bring in and who would you drop, given that the aim is to win not just give young players experience?
Pretty obvious who to take out I would have thought
Johnno - Hooper or even Hill (who has done nothing and is lazy, but can kick multiple goals). Is that worse than not being able to run at all?

Eagleton - Moles (wont gain much by picking Moles over Eagleton, but Moles at least gets his hands dirty.
Hahn - Anyone, Everitt.

Mantis
05-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Pretty obvious who to take out I would have thought
Johnno - Hooper or even Hill (who has done nothing and is lazy, but can kick multiple goals). Is that worse than not being able to run at all?

How does he create his goals?

Desipura
05-09-2010, 11:26 AM
How does he create his goals? You tell me?

Jasper
05-09-2010, 11:27 AM
How does he create his goals?

Sitting at the back, not chasing and getting cheapies, not working hard enough to present....oh I see that was a rhetorical question:eek:

Desipura
05-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Sitting at the back, not chasing and getting cheapies, not working hard enough to present....oh I see that was a rhetorical question:eek:
The above sounds familiar to the current forwards in our side. Only differnece is Hill can take a contested mark. Look, I have no strong argument for Hill to come in the side.