PDA

View Full Version : Future issues. How I see it.

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 09:23 PM
In relation to our older and younger players I would like to talk about the fact most Premiership sides don't have these type gaps. Usually they are a more even group with maybe a couple of Veterans and one youngster under 50 games.

But we have quite a few under 50 games players in Williams, Ward, Picken, Harbrow, and Hill. All good players in there own right but like the last time Melbourne met Essendon in the Grandfinal it stands out like Dog balls the inexperience. Greene gets whacked for example and fair or not it put him of his game. If its Johno he shrugs it of and gets on with it. Thats the experience side for you.

Older players take longer to come up for each game and whilst they are champions a hard finals campaign culminating in a Grandfinal may see them stumble at the last hurdle because of tired legs etc. Aker in the last couple of weeks is showing signs he is tiring. I would hate for him to just stumble along for the rest of the year as he is vital if we are going places this year.

My concern for the future is this. As stated in the Media Dogs are looking at Hall. I am 50/50 about this and I will tell you why. We currently have Hudson, Welsh, Johno, Aker, and Eagleton. Now I know from experience that players can have a good output as they age but then suddenly drop off. That is the nature of aging unfortunately. One day you wake up after training and your really stiff and sore and your recovery is just not there any more. This is how most champions realise its time to go.

Hypothetically if half or more of the over 30's start to feel old next year we are left with what I call list hoggers. Blokes who will do OK but can not lift to get you over the line in games and the team is competitive but we may end up 9th or 8th or there abouts. If they are all up and running then top four is the go and a possible grandfinal birth. I have question marks though on Aker who plays some good games but really goes missing at this time of year. Eagletons output each week has really started to drop off. Welsh is just going at the moment. I feel that these guys will be no good next year.

Johno I was ready to retire at the end of this year but he has surprised me and is doing well but you have to question how he is getting his kicks now. He is no longer closer to goal more playing a wing/HF. He now roams around up the ground picking up possessions but is not close to goal were we need him as he is unable to do that role any more. He has lost his spring and kicking has been poor. All other aspects of his game have been great but his role has changed hence the more possessions a bit like Richo for Richmond in how he is playing more up the ground. Hudson I have no issues with and I think has a couple of years in him.

Point is get Hall and we have to keep these guys on the list for another year rolling the dice. If we get Hall I see Welsh going though.

On the flips side of this is get rid of Aker, Eagleton, and Welsh. Also delist Wight and Skipper. Promote Shaw(Ruck at Willi), and Picken. Get three more recruits from Draft and top up on Rookies as needed. Then get games into Grant(FF), Roughead(Ruck/KPP), Boumman(KPP, O'Keefe(Mid/FF, Reid(Mid) and Wood(BF). There are others but these guys are the most outstanding so far. Cordy, Lynch, and Stack as needed. Cordy with his body is another year away. Look at serious push at flag in 2011 and 2012. This would be a much better structured team as well as a more even in age and experience by 2011/2012.

That is my thoughts on the two ways we can go next year. I am hoping they go with youth. I have a funny feeling though that if we get Hall then we will have a lot of olders players on list next year.

Thoughts??

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 09:56 PM
It's hard to read. Maybe think about a few more paragraphs and maybe some sub-heads?

It was a copy paste and lost formatting.

Dry Rot
23-07-2009, 10:10 PM
It was a copy paste and lost formatting.

No probs - thanks. Much easier to read now. :)

Big_Willba
24-07-2009, 03:15 PM
i think we have a bright future ahead :)

great thoughts and post.

Dry Rot
24-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Johno I was ready to retire at the end of this year but he has surprised me and is doing well but you have to question how he is getting his kicks now. He is no longer closer to goal more playing a wing/HF. He now roams around up the ground picking up possessions but is not close to goal were we need him as he is unable to do that role any more. He has lost his spring and kicking has been poor. All other aspects of his game have been great but his role has changed hence the more possessions a bit like Richo for Richmond in how he is playing more up the ground.

I agree with your effect or end result, but not necessarily the cause or rationale.

Seems to me that johnno is playing out of his skin further up the ground because we have no real CHF, rather than he can't rally play up forward anymore.

Otherwise good thoughtful OP. My concern about the oldies is the unpredictable timing of their demise - seems many great players go along nicely then suddenly fall off cliff with the run in their legs or injuries they never seem to get over.

LostDoggy
25-07-2009, 12:34 PM
I agree with your effect or end result, but not necessarily the cause or rationale.

Seems to me that johnno is playing out of his skin further up the ground because we have no real CHF, rather than he can't rally play up forward anymore.

Otherwise good thoughtful OP. My concern about the oldies is the unpredictable timing of their demise - seems many great players go along nicely then suddenly fall off cliff with the run in their legs or injuries they never seem to get over.
Thats my main concern for next year. The finals this year and todays game even may give us a little sign for the future with these guys.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-07-2009, 02:14 PM
A few good point AS, however I think if Hall was available he could take the pressure of Jonno and let the other kids have another year to develop.

I would retire Eagle as we have Ward, Reid, Okeefe ect to step in.

As for Welsh I would keep him also (Pending the rest of the year) and rotate him with the like of Grant & Roughhead.

The one that I feel would be looked at prior to all of these would be Mitch H. We could perhaps trade him back to GC17 and get a good trade pick. he is the one I think will be first to go if you picked up Barry.

LostDoggy
25-07-2009, 03:33 PM
A few good point AS, however I think if Hall was available he could take the pressure of Jonno and let the other kids have another year to develop.

I would retire Eagle as we have Ward, Reid, Okeefe ect to step in.

As for Welsh I would keep him also (Pending the rest of the year) and rotate him with the like of Grant & Roughhead.

The one that I feel would be looked at prior to all of these would be Mitch H. We could perhaps trade him back to GC17 and get a good trade pick. he is the one I think will be first to go if you picked up Barry.

Mitch would be a good back up to Barry and I think you would find Barry would benefit Mitch big time as when he gets a lesser player he can do what he did to Essendon the other night. Welsh on the other hand is a lead up player than frankly does not bring much to the table that Grant could no probably bring next year.

Before I Die
25-07-2009, 06:28 PM
On the flips side of this is get rid of Aker, Eagleton, and Welsh. Also delist Wight and Skipper. Promote Shaw(Ruck at Willi), and Picken. Get three more recruits from Draft and top up on Rookies as needed. Then get games into Grant(FF), Roughead(Ruck/KPP), Boumman(KPP, O'Keefe(Mid/FF, Reid(Mid) and Wood(BF). There are others but these guys are the most outstanding so far. Cordy, Lynch, and Stack as needed. Cordy with his body is another year away. Look at serious push at flag in 2011 and 2012. This would be a much better structured team as well as a more even in age and experience by 2011/2012.

We are third on the ladder for the second year in a row and you are suggesting we cut as deep as possible with the intention of trying for a flag in two years with a group of 10 players who have a total of less than 5 games experience between them. Except for O'Keefe and Reid none of these guys have even been dominant at VFL level yet. I don't want Hall and I agree that there should be some retirements and delistings this year. I also want to see games put into Grant and when they are ready, Cordy and Roughead. But while I hope they all become champions, it is pure speculation how many of these guys will make the grade and to suggest we close the window on our current premiership push when we are thereabouts so that we can try again with a group of unproven kids in a few years time is just silly. If Eade thinks Grant is ready then Welsh may be in trouble. Wight and Skipper may make way to give the young talls more time at Willi, but this would also depend on what talls Willi recruits next year. We have Wallis and Libba jumior coming in next year and another running outside mid would be handy. That's only three places needed on the list. If not successful this year we can keep push for a flag next and also continue to build so that we are a threat for the next 5 years at least.

BulldogBelle
25-07-2009, 11:38 PM
-Eagle. GONE
-Welsh. GONE if we get Barry Hall. Hopefully Grant is ready to play some senior footy in 2010...so I dont think the Welsh would offer much value next year.
-Skipper. Think Roughhead and one of the younger guys need to be made #1 ruckman at Willy...
-Wight. GONE. He hasnt done much at Willy all season, would be better developing one of the younger guys.

I think the types of players we need to be looking for next season and beyond are;
-An outside hard running type that will replace Eagleton, one who has loads of pace and hard running ability
-Another hard nosed tall defender....Williams may continue to struggle to get on the paddock, and a tall defender who can take the oppositions #2 defender, and who may allow Lake to peel off players and take marks would be valueable
-Hall. We need him. For forward line pressure. For aggression. For goals. For leadership.

LostDoggy
25-07-2009, 11:51 PM
We are third on the ladder for the second year in a row and you are suggesting we cut as deep as possible with the intention of trying for a flag in two years with a group of 10 players who have a total of less than 5 games experience between them. Except for O'Keefe and Reid none of these guys have even been dominant at VFL level yet. I don't want Hall and I agree that there should be some retirements and delistings this year. I also want to see games put into Grant and when they are ready, Cordy and Roughead. But while I hope they all become champions, it is pure speculation how many of these guys will make the grade and to suggest we close the window on our current premiership push when we are thereabouts so that we can try again with a group of unproven kids in a few years time is just silly. If Eade thinks Grant is ready then Welsh may be in trouble. Wight and Skipper may make way to give the young talls more time at Willi, but this would also depend on what talls Willi recruits next year. We have Wallis and Libba jumior coming in next year and another running outside mid would be handy. That's only three places needed on the list. If not successful this year we can keep push for a flag next and also continue to build so that we are a threat for the next 5 years at least.
We are competitive this year and we may be competitive next year keeping older players but my opinion is with our structure and older players we are far from a premiership. You may think we are thereabouts but we have failed at every test this year. We have a nucleus of a good side what we don't have is the key area's teams like Saints have. We need a proper structure hence the call for Hall. We need to take a chance with youth so we can have a real crack and not just get thereabouts and hope the other sides around us fall over like Steve Bradbury did to win the gold medal in 2002. Short term pain for long term gain.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm sick of hearing the calls for Hall. We've got far too many older players on our list as it is. Welsh, Aker and Eagleton are gone after this year. Johnson/Hudson will sneak another year in. It's time we start developing the younger players on our list because we're not getting anywhere with our current 'Best 22'.

I'd be extremely disappointed if players like Reid left for another club because they weren't getting enough opportunity at ours. Even Geelong have brought in a few new faces at times this year (Hawkins to some degree, Hogan, Gilies(sp?), Mumford, Djerrkura (sp?).

I really hope we play the likes of Reid, Stack and O'Keefe in the next few weeks.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I think tonights game shows point blank that sticking with the older players is not going to get us anywhere next year. If we want to be the best side not the third or fourth best side a mini build is in order. If the youth flops so be it but sticking with Eagle and CO. we are going now where.

Mofra
27-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm sick of hearing the calls for Hall. We've got far too many older players on our list as it is. Welsh, Aker and Eagleton are gone after this year. Johnson/Hudson will sneak another year in. It's time we start developing the younger players on our list because we're not getting anywhere with our current 'Best 22'.
The question is who do we have to cover the gap next year? I'm in favour of getting Hall for 1 year as Grant / Cordy are unlikely to be ready next year physically, and Roughead's 3 senior games for Willy this year aren't an ideal base to be making a claim on the Bulldogs team next year.

Once he's had his year, at least one of Grant / Cordy / Roughy will be ready to stand up (perhaps more) in 2011. This is assuming Boumann takes longer, and I think he's quicker than the other 3.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I really rate Rocket as a coach, but one thing that does annoy me is that he does not blood enough players. The games that we reasonably expect to win, gives an opportunity to rest some of the older players and bring in some of the younger ones. Hell even Skipper could do with a game so that we can rest Hudson. We are yet to see O"keefe and some of the other young ones play this year, and only one game for Reid. Also what is happening with Tim Callan and Everitt - they need to get some game time into them. We suddenly seem to have a plethora of defence players and no forwards.

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I am not greatly in favour of Hall. His best is behind him and his mental state is questionable.

I do believe that Welsh and Eagleton are effectively finished, but Aker may still provide some value if played more sparingly. This also applies to Johnson and they could almost rotate them through the year with both playing perhaps 15 games.

The future really depends on a big pre-season from the younger brigade. Everitt has yet to get a full pre-season but he shows enough ability and maybe the right preparation can allow him to really blossom. The same applies to Grant. The Williamstown reports indicate that Boumann has made some progress.

Cordy,Roughead and Jones could also make good progress with a full pre-season.

GVGjr
27-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I really rate Rocket as a coach, but one thing that does annoy me is that he does not blood enough players. The games that we reasonably expect to win, gives an opportunity to rest some of the older players and bring in some of the younger ones. Hell even Skipper could do with a game so that we can rest Hudson. We are yet to see O"keefe and some of the other young ones play this year, and only one game for Reid. Also what is happening with Tim Callan and Everitt - they need to get some game time into them. We suddenly seem to have a plethora of defence players and no forwards.

I actually thinks he does this very well. I would have liked for O'Keefe to be given a run when he was in his best form but normally he is able to introduce players into a winning side.
The thing is that we are playing youngsters like Ward, Harbrow, Picken and Hill and if Reid was fit I think he would be right in the mix.
You just simply can't play them all.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I actually thinks he does this very well. I would have liked for O'Keefe to be given a run when he was in his best form but normally he is able to introduce players into a winning side.
The thing is that we are playing youngsters like Ward, Harbrow, Picken and Hill and if Reid was fit I think he would be right in the mix.
You just simply can't play them all.
Absolutely right. Harbrow, Hill, Picken and Ward have barely missed a game between them. Grant got a run but simply hasn't done enough to command a spot, while Reid and Stack have gotten a taste of things and GOK could very well make his debut.

When you consider our good form together with some inconsistent indiviudal form at Willi, it should be very hard to knock Eade for not playing enough kids, i would have thought.

Desipura
28-07-2009, 10:23 AM
My only issue with Rocket is that he does not experiment enough. I would have thought with all of his Assistants, they would have tried something out of left field. How are we going to take that extra step in Spetember if we do things the same as last year?
Lets use Wallace for example. When he was at the club he
moved Johnno forward which became a great success
Robbins was another who pushed forward which worked
Granty to CHB was another one.
Other than Harbrow going to a back pocket, I cannot see another player that Rocket has experimented by playing him in another position. If he has, he has not done it for more than a quarter here or a quarter there.
Malthouse brings in 3 kids for a huge game against Carlton and it did not effect the score. Thompson sees a deficiency in their ruck department and plays Hawkins there who by all reports did a very good job.
We just might discover a player, my suggestion would be to play Tom Williams at CHF with Everitt in a sweeping CHB role/ Alternatively play Everitt in Murphy type role up forward.
If Tiller was fit, I would have played him at full forward by now. With at least 2 players out injured this week, the time is now to trial some players. Thoughts?