PDA

View Full Version : Best Footy Shows

The Adelaide Connection
24-07-2009, 12:59 AM
After watching the footy show tonight I couldn't help but feel a lot of the gimmicks and comedy was a little tired and, well, didn't work. I used to love TFS and really wanted to laugh but increasinigly I find myself trying to pretend I thought it was funny in that "uncomfortable, feel embarrassed for them" sorta way. They really are clutching at straws for material at times. Offering to marry people on the show? Lame.

I guess footy shows can be grouped into the serious analytical ones and the looser comedy versions. What do you think is the best of each?

I think Before the Game has taken the mantle for the comedy shows. The format is fresher, panelists are much funnier, and they never have any shortage of great material taken from the previous/current round. It is kinda like the English Top Gear" too, even non-footy fans will watch it just because it is so entertaining.

In terms of the more serious ones, I don't have fox and the only one I have caught recently is the new one on Channel One. I have only seen one episode, but found it was quite good.

strebla
24-07-2009, 01:14 AM
I must say I love footy confidential and on the couch have only watched ten hd show once but was not impressed.

LostDoggy
24-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Sorry its taken you so long to figure that Channel's 9 TFS is lame.

Marngrook on Channel 31 Melbourne is 100x better.

The Adelaide Connection
24-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Well I am not usually home on Thursday nights and usually only see one or two episodes a season but have caught the last two.

AndrewP6
24-07-2009, 12:40 PM
My two cents worth.

I actually don't mind TFS... doesn't hit the bullseye every week, but IMO has its good moments. Yes, its infantile, it's tacky, it's crude...but it's run by footballers! Expect nothing more... can't wait for someone to give Sam a grilling...

Footy Classified - informative, interesting. I reckon Thommo is better than a lot give him credit for. And watching Caro makes me dislike her even more, I like it when one of them takes her to task. (Her hijacking of "Good Call, Bad Call" shits me - "Good call, sensible call"????

The Marngrook Footy Show I've only seen a few times. Might be a "serious" show, but I just find it really dull. The panel/presenters may know something about the game, but don't hold my interest.

Twodogs
24-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I watch Footy Classified every week but my favorite footy shows are the sunday morning AFL shows, Seven starts at 10 am for an hour and then Nine kicks in for two more hours at 11. They are especially enjoyable when we've won on the saturday. Sometimes I sit on the couch all day and watch Hutchy's and Kevin Sheehan's TAC cup show at 1pm and then flick over to Seven to watch the old replay and then the sunday game!

I dont mind One Week At A Time as well and then when that finishes Jack Elliot's show starts on C31 straight after then after an hour or so (Spooks on the ABC!) it's time for Footy Classified. I hardly ever watch The Footy Show though-too many boofheads per capita for my liking. If Eddy came back as host I'd watch it again

mighty_west
24-07-2009, 01:20 PM
The Footy Show - about as tired and boring as another Johnny Farnham comeback tour, used to be great, but has just gone downhill over the past few years. 5/10

Footy Classifieds - Probably the best going around imo, even though i can't stand any of the hosts..Caro is always annoying, Hutchy is a wanker - although i enjoy it when he gives it to Caro, Lyon lacks leadership as the host as well as his role on TFS and Grant Thomas, used to hate him, but can't help respecting his views and the way he says what he thinks, he even lost his SEN job over having a strong opinion - respect! 9/10

Marngrook - Not bad, gets a tick for having an ex Doggie on the panel, and don't mind Ronnies wicked sense of humour, but just lacks somewhat, i don't feel an urge to keep going back to watch it. 6/10

On The Couch - used to be my fave, but you only get 1 minute of Doggies talk every week, don't mind Sheahan on there, MUCH better than Caro, although i struggle with Healy as host, he's great on 3AW's sports tonight, but always seems to stumble on camera, quite like Hird. - 7/10

BulldogBelle
24-07-2009, 01:34 PM
On the Couch is one of my favourites also Before the game (Strauchnie segments make me laugh) but then again I watch just about all the footy shows during the week. If I am not home, I will usually IQ them then skim back through and watch the parts that interest me.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Footy Classified, for me, can be a little hit and miss. I've notices the faking of conflict has reduced somewhat, and with that my enjoyment is rising in it and have watched the last month.

Before the game - not bad for a giggle. The birthplace of Strauchnie.

Before the bounce - I loved Jason and Spud and love 'yesterdays heroes'. Has got to be some of the funniest stuff i've seen in a while.

On The Couch - Watch without fail after winners.

TFS - It's without a heartbeat, just call it dead already. As much as i hated Eddie on it towards the end, he was the glue that kept it together.

Sunday Footy Show - Not a fan. Tony Jones was screwed royally. His SFS was much better than the current lame attempt.

Thus ending my 2 cents.

LostDoggy
24-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I like the Sunday Footy show the most for detail of your game, most of the time I dont listen to what they say anyway, but they often at least have one of your players in, which is nice.

I used to love Before The Game, but I dont think it's funny at all anymore. Hughsey is such a tosser, and it disgusts me that three of the five panelists are Carlton supporters. Mick Molloy makes me cringe with his unfunnyness. Ugh, Three Carlton and a Richmond supporter. No thanks.

Remi Moses
24-07-2009, 03:48 PM
The footy content has reached saturation point.
On The Couch- gets a tad tedious and personally don't like the wooden host
The Footy Show - Expiry date 1995,endured bits last week and talk about tired content.
One Week At a Time - Only seen bits and pieces looks okay. Loses points having The Essendon diver on the show
Footy Classified- The best for mine although does seem a tad contrived. Has Thomas toned down the act a little?
Before The Bounce- Very light and rehash incidents we already know about [Tipping the Malthouse/Buckley coaching situation] will be first cab of the rank. Do enjoy the ''yesterday's heroes'' segment
Marngrook Footy Show- Watched it a few times enjoyed it also

Remi Moses
24-07-2009, 03:52 PM
I like the Sunday Footy show the most for detail of your game, most of the time I dont listen to what they say anyway, but they often at least have one of your players in, which is nice.

I used to love Before The Game, but I dont think it's funny at all anymore. Hughsey is such a tosser, and it disgusts me that three of the five panelists are Carlton supporters. Mick Molloy makes me cringe with his unfunnyness. Ugh, Three Carlton and a Richmond supporter. No thanks.

I'm pretty sure Dave Hughes once followed The Dogs:mad::mad:Samantha Lane is bloody awful! She's the member for stating the bleeding obvious. personally I like Mick Molloy

LostDoggy
24-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Dave Hughes once followed The Dogs:mad::mad:

Really? Well, good riddance I say.

LostDoggy
24-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I like the Sunday footy show. Puts me in a lazy Sunday mood and reminds me of being a kid on a Sunday morning when dad would get up and make a big eggs and bacon breakfast!

The Adelaide Connection
24-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Dave Hughes once followed The Dogs:mad::mad:Samantha Lane is bloody awful! She's the member for stating the bleeding obvious. personally I like Mick Molloy

you might be thinking of Will Anderson. Will is a massive dogs fan.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2009, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Remi Moses;99560]I'm pretty sure Dave Hughes once followed The Dogs:mad::mad:Samantha Lane is bloody awful! She's the member for stating the bleeding obvious. personally I like Mick Molloy[/QUOTE

you might be thinking of Will Anderson. Will is a massive dogs fan.
Or Merv HUGHES. He's a massive dogs fan.

Remi Moses
25-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Certain it was Dave Hughes

BornInDroopSt'54
25-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Certain it was Dave Hughes

I chanced upon Dave Hughes, Aker and Boyd at Box Hill Golf Club playing together last year.

LostDoggy
25-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Footy Classifieds[/B] - Probably the best going around imo, even though i can't stand any of the hosts..Caro is always annoying, Hutchy is a wanker - although i enjoy it when he gives it to Caro, Lyon lacks leadership as the host as well as his role on TFS and Grant Thomas, used to hate him, but can't help respecting his views and the way he says what he thinks, he even lost his SEN job over having a strong opinion - respect! 9/10

9 out of 10, you've got to be kidding me.
Might be the best of the lot but its a bad lot.
You've highlight major reasons why its crap. Hutchy a sleaze bag, Lyon a DH, Caro annoying and Thomas hasn't changed. The most annoying thing is the start when Hutchy introduces Caro as 'the first lady of football'

Twodogs
25-07-2009, 12:08 PM

Nope Dave has always been a Blues fan. Maybe you are getting confused because his girlfriend is a huge doggies fan and he goes to a lot of our games?

GVGjr
25-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Recording these shows is almost a requirement so that you can skip through the rubbish.

I like watch League Teams on a Thursday night and One Week at a Time on One HD.

The rest of them have some good but very bad points.

Sockeye Salmon
25-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Years ago my friends wouldn't ring me on a Thursday night because they knew I wouldn't answer. I haven't watched a full episode in years. Every so often I tune in and they do a joke on Garry Lyon's body hair and Jason Dunstall looks like a gorilla and I turn it off again. Lame and well past it's use-by date. Garry Lyon is simply abysmal as a host. Eddie McGuire is sadly missed.

With Lyon hosting Footy Classified as well, there's another show that's hard to watch. Caroline Wilson is as biased as a BigFooty poster and adds nothing. I don't mind Hutchy, he actually reports news; he doesn't always get it right and you might not always like to hear what he says (re: Lake), but he does inform.

Grant Thomas was a dreadful coach but is, IMO, clearly the best person in the media reporting on football at the moment.

One Week at a Time is OK but current players add nothing. They are too controlled over what they can say so they simply rattle off the politically correct speil on any given topic.

azabob
25-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Years ago my friends wouldn't ring me on a Thursday night because they knew I wouldn't answer. I haven't watched a full episode in years. Every so often I tune in and they do a joke on Garry Lyon's body hair and Jason Dunstall looks like a gorilla and I turn it off again. Lame and well past it's use-by date. Garry Lyon is simply abysmal as a host. Eddie McGuire is sadly missed.

With Lyon hosting Footy Classified as well, there's another show that's hard to watch. Caroline Wilson is as biased as a BigFooty poster and adds nothing. I don't mind Hutchy, he actually reports news; he doesn't always get it right and you might not always like to hear what he says (re: Lake), but he does inform.

Grant Thomas was a dreadful coach but is, IMO, clearly the best person in the media reporting on football at the moment.

One Week at a Time is OK but current players add nothing. They are too controlled over what they can say so they simply rattle off the politically correct speil on any given topic.

IMO it would have to be Mark McClure.

hujsh
26-07-2009, 06:32 PM

No, that's definitely Maher's job.

gohardorgohome
26-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I prefer Marngrook and Before the Game for a laugh. I dont mind On the Couch.

I cant stand Hutchy or Caroline Wilson so I never watch Footy Classified.
The Footy Show is very lame these days.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 09:49 PM
The only one I watch each week is Before the Game, which I like a lot. Other than that, if I'm at home I'll watch the Sunday Footy Show for a bit and maybe a little bit of TFS depending on who's on (mostly because there's absolutely nothing else on, even then sometimes nothing is better). Footy Classified is on too late for me and isn't great anyway and the others are a bit boring. I used to love watching White Line Fever on Fox Footy, especially Tuesdays when Rocket was on.

The Adelaide Connection
27-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I prefer Marngrook and Before the Game for a laugh. I dont mind On the Couch.

I cant stand Hutchy or Caroline Wilson so I never watch Footy Classified.
The Footy Show is very lame these days.

I am hearing a lot of good things about this channel 31. Apparently there is a good music program on their too. Anyone know whether it can be streamed?

The Coon Dog
06-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Football 360 starts back this Wednesday at 7.30pm on Fox Sports.

I quite enjoy the different dynamics Gerard Whately & Robbo bring, along with the forthright opinions oh Mark Maclure & David King.

KT31
06-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Football 360 starts back this Wednesday at 7.30pm on Fox Sports.

I quite enjoy the different dynamics Gerard Whately & Robbo bring, along with the forthright opinions oh Mark Maclure & David King.

Agree with you TCD.
360 is about footy not about presenters trying to get media attention and upstage each other.

PS.- 5.40 am on a Sunday, just getting home ?

The Coon Dog
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Agree with you TCD.
360 is about footy not about presenters trying to get media attention and upstage each other.

PS.- 5.40 am on a Sunday, just getting home ?

No, just watched Manyoo & Wolves.

LostDoggy
06-02-2011, 07:44 PM
No, just watched Manyoo & Wolves.

Cheered up yet? ;)

One show I haven't seen mentioned anywhere in this thread is another Ch31 hidden gem like Marngrook and The Local Footy Show.

Footy Talkback. A 30 minute insight to fans and their beloved clubs. Concept is simple, interview fans about their teams on the way into a game. Show the footage during the following week. There are ranging questions from funny to serious on topical news about their club, the competition and AFL in general. Hosts get a solid pass by not dominating the conversation and letting people articulate in their own way. A funny finishing segment is where they've compiled all of the participants' pick for the winning margin that game. Some are waaay off the mark. Worth a gander, in all honesty. :)

Hot_Doggies
06-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Insight into fans..... I couldn't think of anything worse!

LostDoggy
06-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Insight into fans..... I couldn't think of anything worse!

They're prepared to say what they think and not the rehashed dictum that you can readily get on any other number of shows. It is a niche in a glut of more of the same in tv football show options.

Ghost Dog
11-02-2011, 02:31 PM

There you have it. Although much more moderate on TV than in his coloumn. How few decent commentators there are in Footy.

Marngrook, people are honest in their Bias - manage to pull in some real celebrities. Bernie Quinlan , Paul Vanderhar ( excellent interview )- great old footage, Paul Hudson? I seem to recall? These quietly spoken giants who would never go near the Footy Show or otherlike.They give them the respect they deserve and the old footage is magic.

They had Rob Hulls on to give the weeks tips! Hilarious. How do they get these people? Had a very long interview with Eddie McGuire that I actually enjoyed. Somehow the low production values keep it real.

However, Mangrook deserves kudos for having women play a normal role in this show, being themselves, not trying to be like men or at the other end of the scale, super models. That's outstanding.

Rough Gem if you don't expect too much. Any serious analysis, internet - TV is dead

http://marngrookfootyshow.com.au/sites/default/files/About%20us%20page.JPG
http://marngrookfootyshow.com.au/sites/default/files/images/AFL_Group_Shot.JPG

The Coon Dog
11-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Cheered up yet? ;)

I was quite happy, always happy when Manyoo get rolled.

aker39
11-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Marngrook, Rough Gem

8-STGuhljG0

Remi Moses
12-02-2011, 02:58 AM
I was quite happy, always happy when Manyoo get rolled.

I 've been happy ever since a side got knocked of it's perch:p:p

Remi Moses
12-02-2011, 02:59 AM
After a shaky start AFL 360 is quite good. That skype debacle they had last season was hilarious

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 02:02 AM
I am hearing a lot of good things about this channel 31. Apparently there is a good music program on their too. Anyone know whether it can be streamed?

You could check out the Ch31 website at this link http://www.c31.org.au/

Not sure about streaming though, never tried. :o

KT31
13-02-2011, 10:50 AM

For those of us that don't get 31 the Marngrook Footy Show is on Fox Ch.180.

Drunken Bum
06-05-2011, 12:18 AM
I haven't watched the footy show for many years now, i was just flicking through the channels and there is nothing but rubbish on so i left it on the footy show in the background while i mucked around on the computer.
Now i haven't considered this to be a 'football' show for a long time and is rubbish that tried to pass itself off as comedy with a football theme but they generally did at least try to pretend and have some discussion on the games. The Dogs, swans game just came up so of course i paid attention and they flashed the team up on the screen for maybe 5 secs asked the panellists their tips and went to an ad. WTF??
Is this normal? where's the discussion on the game? how is this effing crap still on the air?? What am i missing?

Drunken Bum
06-05-2011, 12:22 AM
i mean it goes for like 5 hours or something like that, it isn't like they are pressed for time to have some discussion
Makes me feel dirty just having it on in the background :/

Greystache
06-05-2011, 12:56 AM
It's a footy related variety show (which is being generous) rather than a football show. The gameplan on OneHD at 8.30 is a pretty reasonable show focussed on the actual games. After that it's kill an hour until Craig Ferguson at 10.30!!

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Don't watch any footy shows but a few guys at work like AFL 360 and talk about it quite a bit.
Has or does anyone watch the one on one hd with Chris Grant? is it one week at a time??? What is that one like I have been meaning to take a look?

Greystache
06-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Don't watch any footy shows but a few guys at work like AFL 360 and talk about it quite a bit.
Has or does anyone watch the one on one hd with Chris Grant? is it one week at a time??? What is that one like I have been meaning to take a look?

The Final Siren, it's ok, just a wrap up of the weeks games. Chris Grant is ok, a little stiff and serious, he might start to relax as the season goes on and be a bit more natural.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 01:18 AM
The Final Siren, it's ok, just a wrap up of the weeks games. Chris Grant is ok, a little stiff and serious, he might start to relax as the season goes on and be a bit more natural.

Yep sorry, Final siren.
I should have known it was something like that. I did know it was a wrap up show.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 09:06 AM
For those that didn't see it/know. Josh hill was on the Marngrook (?) footy show last night.

Second time i've watched it, laid back, and Josh looked in his element. Former Footscray supertar Alan Thorpe was also a panelist.

Maddog37
06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
AFL Insider, AFL 360 and AFL teams with BT are all better than anything on free to air at present.

My worst nightmare would be to be locked in a room being forced to eat brussell sprouts and watch Footy Classified non stop whilst wearing a Collingwood jumper.

bornadog
06-05-2011, 05:17 PM
For those that didn't see it/know. Josh hill was on the Marngrook (?) footy show last night.

Second time i've watched it, laid back, and Josh looked in his element. Former Footscray supertar Alan Thorpe was also a panelist.

Josh was very impressive last night, answered all the questions very well and spoke well too.

azabob
06-05-2011, 07:38 PM

He is pretty good as special comments on 774. He is very measured in what he says.

gohardorgohome
06-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Im a fan of Marngrook. It's a good combination of footy and fun. It's a real hidden gem.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Im a fan of Marngrook. It's a good combination of footy and fun. It's a real hidden gem.

Love it. And they actually talk about footy!

I can't watch the "footy show", it's a joke. Sam Newman is a racist relic from another era. Its like watching a pathetic little bunch of 'best mates' that are so far up each others arses they are tangled in a pretzel.

bornadog
07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Love it. And they actually talk about footy!

I can't watch the "footy show", it's a joke. Sam Newman is a racist relic from another era. Its like watching a pathetic little bunch of 'best mates' that are so far up each others arses they are tangled in a pretzel.

haha, couldn't agree anymore. Its so outdated and pathetic.

Rocco Jones
07-05-2011, 01:37 PM

I was actually part of the studio audience for Marngrook the week before last, they had Carey on as a guest. It really is the opposite of what TFS is all about.

My favourite footy show is AFL 360 by a fair distance and the Marngrook.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM

Agree, I think Chris will relax into the role, as he is very informative and measured with his special comments on 774 radio! I like this show as it is just football - a comprehensive wrap up of the weekend's games!

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Josh was very impressive last night, answered all the questions very well and spoke well too.

Saw Josh as well, he was very relaxed and well spoken! I think he may actually be enjoying his footy at the minute - sure sounded like it! BTW - a great show where they talk about footy and not rubbish!

Pickenitup
07-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Shaun Higgins is on Before the game Tonite should be interesting

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 01:35 AM

I find AFL360 really awkward to watch. They just stand there, creates awkward viewing, the insight of a current coach every week is the plus though.

LostDoggy
09-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I was actually part of the studio audience for Marngrook the week before last, they had Carey on as a guest. It really is the opposite of what TFS is all about.

So you would've seen Barry Morgan playing his organ!! I'm a big Barry fan. :D

Happy Days
12-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Mark McClure is ruining AFL 360, has obviously not watched a Dogs game in years but feels the need to comment on them every week. Just said that Murphy went back last week just to help out (because its not like he's been there since last season) and said that when we go forward, we're too scared to kick the ball to Everitt.

What a pathetic excuse for an "expert".

Rocco Jones
12-05-2011, 09:27 PM
So you would've seen Barry Morgan playing his organ!! I'm a big Barry fan. :D

Haha, he was great! :D

azabob
12-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Mark McClure is ruining AFL 360, has obviously not watched a Dogs game in years but feels the need to comment on them every week. Just said that Murphy went back last week just to help out (because its not like he's been there since last season) and said that when we go forward, we're too scared to kick the ball to Everitt.

What a pathetic excuse for an "expert".

McClure is the best in the business by far. He saw us play on Saturday. I didn't see the program but The Pie Man said he said Grant.