PDA

View Full Version : Ins and outs Rd 18?

Dry Rot
25-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Out: Higgins, Welsh ankle? Hill out of form?

Ins: ????

Before I Die
25-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Out: Higgins, Welsh ankle? Hill out of form?

Ins: ????

May have to add Murphy with a hamstring

Happy Days
25-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Out: Higgins (inj.), Welsh (inj.), Murphy (inj.)

In: O'Keefe, Grant, Gilbee

As much as like for like as possible. A home game against Freo is not worth risking Bobby for, and should give O'Keefe and Grant a chance.

BulldogBelle
25-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Out: Higgins (inj.), Welsh (inj.), Murphy (inj.)

In: O'Keefe, Grant, Gilbee

As much as like for like as possible. A home game against Freo is not worth risking Bobby for, and should give O'Keefe and Grant a chance.

Out
Murphy, Higgins, Hill

In
Gilbee, O'Keefe, Grant

-Grant will be important, not as a target, but for his forward line pressure
-Hill just isnt showing enough intensity at the moment. No point playing him in the forward line until he gets some form, touch and confidence back

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Out: Higgins (Inj), Murphy (Inj), Welsh (Inj), Eagleton.
In: Gilbee, O'Keefe, Grant, Reid(?)

Rance Fan
25-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Out
Murph, higgins, Hill, Welsh, Eagleton

In
A couple of talls to throw up forward..??
Okeefe

Big_Willba
25-07-2009, 11:36 PM
OUT: Higgins, Murphy, Hill

In: Gilbee, O'Keefe, Grant/Stack

Gilbee to return no doubt, rest murph even if he is 60/40 to play, hill poor for a few weeks, due for a spell in the magoos. was thinking of throwin addison out too, just didnt look upto it.

Good chance to blood O'Keefe and the thought of Grant excites me as it will only do him a world of good for next year. if not, Stack as a swingman,, forward and back.

hotdog
Out- Murph, Higg, Hill, Eagle, Welsh
In- Everitt, O'Keefe, Grant, Reid, Callan

comrade
I'm a little bit angry at the moment so I'll make an effort to be rational.

Out: Eagleton
In: Anyone

And I mean anyone.

Tonight was just the tip of the iceberg.

His last month of football has confirmed that when real pressure is applied, he will be a liability to his teammates, and to the jumper itself.

Time after time tonight he would make a half effort, stick out one hand, not bend over. When he did have some space, the perceived pressure was enough for him to butcher it. He stopped a number of forward surges just by fumbling, and when it was his turn to make a defensive contest in the air, he avoided contact and let the opposition saunter away.

He wasn't alone - a number of our guys had season-worst performances - but he should know better by now.

Give a kid a go - at least if they have a shocker they'll learn from it. Eagleton never will.

Did I mention I was a little bit angry? :)

Rocco Jones
25-07-2009, 11:43 PM

And I mean anyone.

His last month of football has confirmed that when real pressure is applied, he will be a liability to his teammates, and to the jumper itself.

Time after time tonight he would make a half effort, stick out one hand, not bend over. When he did have some space, the perceived pressure was enough for him to butcher it. He stopped a number of forward surges just by fumbling, and when it was his turn to make a defensive contest in the air, he avoided contact and let the opposition saunter away.

He wasn't alone - a number of our guys had season-worst performances - but he should know better by now.

Give a kid a go - at least if they have a shocker they'll learn from it. Eagleton never will.

Spot on. Someone I went with asked me who we should bring in for Eagle after the 4,532nd time I had a go at him tonight and I said "anyone" as well.

Another one I am absolutely over with is Welsh. He is done. He is a super clever player, which means he can bob up with 3-4 goals against ordinary sides but against the top sides he is pretty much useless. The whole "he adds to our structure" thing is bullshit imo. He probably survives due to the massive queue ahead of him.

Higgins obviously has to miss and I really hope we rest Bobby, but I know Eade hates resting guns and will play him if he is able to walk.

BulldogBelle
25-07-2009, 11:43 PM

And I mean anyone.

Eagle just chokes....under ANY pressure

Agree that he fumbles, cant catch f'ing handpasses, doesnt bend over to pick up easy balls, doesnt hold his tackles, doesnt protect the ball carrier and doesnt run hard enough

Hill is also on my hit list at the moment. The guy needs to gain some intensity and form at Willy.

Pissed that we have lost Higgins, and Murph. Two that have been carrying injuries...just hope Cooney's body doesnt cave like theirs...at least we will have Shaun back for the finals, and Gia, and hopefully Murph should be 100%, and Cooney should have built up a huge fitness base by then...wishful thinking

bulldogsman
25-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Out Eagleton, Higgins, Murphy
In Gilbee, Everitt, O'Keefe

I would also put Stack in for Hill if he plays well.

Sedat
25-07-2009, 11:53 PM

And I mean anyone.

Sad thing is that the media scribes will look at Eagle's 23 possessions and 7 tackles and think it was a solid performance.

As you pointed out, he most definitely wasn't the lone range tonight. Our entire forward group was inept - in no particular order Johnson, hahn, Welsh, Higgins, Hill, Murphy, and Minson (when forward). The major worry most of us had before the game was the ability of our forward group to pressure St Kilda's defence and prevent their rebound drive - sadly this proved way beyond our forward group tonight.

If Welsh is getting jabbed up before games, he is of no use to us at the present moment. Get him 100% right if he is considered crucial to our structure.

Definite Outs: Murphy, Higgins
Possible Outs: Addison, Eagle, Hill, Welsh
Definite Ins: Gilbee
Possible Ins: O'Keefe, Grant, Reid, Stack, Callan - Grant is a near definite in with 2 forwards out this week (possibly 3 if Welsh goes as well)

Rocco Jones
25-07-2009, 11:59 PM
If Welsh is getting jabbed up before games, he is of no use to us at the present moment. Get him 100% right if he is considered crucial to our structure.

Exactly. Welsh's game involves such a small margin for error and he is useless when he isn't fit.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 12:00 AM
There needs to be come changes, because what happened tonight wasn't acceptable.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 12:25 AM

I just don't understand this phenomenon -- so many times we had a chain of handballs going under extreme pressure, and guys would be pulling it out of their butts to get it clear in tiny little pockets of space: Morris, to Hudson, to Cooney, back to Hudson, to Ward, to Hargrave.. then the moment the get some free air they find Eagle (running without an opponent as usual) who almost inevitably fumbles it first time, drops the ball, then lets a Saint player running at him pick it up before tackling him (thus inflating the tackle stats), or just handballs blind to a 50/50 contest.

How can an AFL 250-gamer not be able to take or make a clean handball under zero pressure, and a player in the team for no other reason than his 'outside' skills be worse at the basics than a second year player (Ward), a ruckman (Hudson), or a purely negative backman (Morris)? I just don't understand it.. he must be a magician on the training track.

G-Mo77
26-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Obviouslly Higgins is out next week, Murphy's is not as bad apparently and could be right but I'd give him a rest this week anyway.

I really think it is time to give Hill a spell. I've watched him pretty closely ove rthe last 3 games and he really can be quite lazy at times. He's down on confidence so send him back for the VFL and get some back.

What is the status in the Gilbee family? I heard about it breifly on the radio before I got to the game. IS there any updates?

Mantis
26-07-2009, 12:26 AM

And I mean anyone.

Nothing more to add. :D

Rocco Jones
26-07-2009, 12:33 AM
A lot of motivation for our Williamstown players tomorrow. Could/should be a few outs. If Guy O'Keefe has another strong performance and doesn't get a call up I wouldn't blame him if he took his ball, went home and looked for another club for 2010.

GVGjr
26-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I think O'Keefe will crack it for a game against Fremantle probably at the expense of Hill. Stack must also be in the mix. A good performance by Grant on Sunday won't hurt his chances.

Remi Moses
26-07-2009, 12:35 AM

And I mean anyone.

I feel your pain . Got no doubt the Hooray for Everythings will some how defend the Eagle,but lets face it when it comes to the crunch Welsh,Eagleton are flat track bullies. I wont bag Hill because he's got youth on his side but he has to toughen the F*** up!

soupman
26-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Outs:
Eagleton: I've been a fan and defended him a lot, but tonight was very poor. At times it was almost as if he didn't actually have hands, and was just playiong with stumps on the ends of his arms thats how bad some of his gathering skills were.

Higgins: Injured. Hopefully it gives his groin or whatnot a chance to recover somewhat.

Murphy: If he is less than 75% fit rest him.

Hill: Drop him and try and get some spark and intensity back into him. He's been very average for over a month now and could use a spell to be given a wake up call.

Players that stay in but could be in contention:

Addison: Wasn't terrible, but wasn't great. Also I think 4 will be more changes than Eade will make, let alone 5.

I wouldn't drop Welsh, mainly because we are already losing too many of our forwards as it is and also tonight was a terrible match for a 188cm full forward to play. We rarely got it in there clearly or quickly and he often had to contest against 2 or 3 with average passes.

In:
Gilbee: Pretty self explanatory really.

Guy O'Keefe: Regardless of how he plays tommorow (short of playing an absolute shocker) he deserves to be given an opportunity. Play him in the Higgins/Gia forward flank role, and let him figure it out. I just reckon he deserves a chance.

Brennan Stack: I think Eade will bring him in to play Josh Hill's role. Not necessarily a selection based on form as much as upside.

Jarrod Grant: Murphy and Hill out means a loss of marking power up forward. This is a chance to give Grant a role up forward as that Murphy type player, except due to his lack of fitness he would only perform this role in short spurts, otherwise rotating between full-forward and the bench.

I feel these changes may be lacking in a midfielder, so I'd add Sam Reid to the mix. Otherwise I think they'd be good to inject some youth into the side and reward a few players. However, knowing Rodney Eade and the significance of this match I feel Hill and Eagleton will get another chance, meaning just Gilbee and Stack would come in. If Gilbee is unavailable give Everitt a run.

The Underdog
26-07-2009, 12:41 AM
His first 15 minutes was pretty good, the rest was poor (and no he wasn't alone).

I actually thought his last 15 in the 3rd quarter was ok when he started putting his head over the ball and laying a couple of tackles. Plus he kicked the goal he should have. Unfortunately he was so piss weak before that. His left hand was very brave, it certainly put itself into contests the rest of his body avoided. His chasing was token too.

Mantis
26-07-2009, 12:47 AM
I actually thought his last 15 in the 3rd quarter was ok when he started putting his head over the ball and laying a couple of tackles. Plus he kicked the goal he should have. Unfortunately he was so piss weak before that. His left hand was very brave, it certainly put itself into contests the rest of his body avoided. His chasing was token too.

Yep, good call.

He was quite good in this portion of the game.

AndrewP6
26-07-2009, 12:54 AM
OUt... Higgins (inj), Hill
In- Gilbee and ??? (maybe I'll get on one of the Grant/O'Keefe wagons!)

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Rocket said Murph out next week, Higgins for 2 at least.

Time to try out Guy...and hopefully Gilbee is back..but I heard it was 'personal reasons'..father possibly passed away? :|

Eagleton should be but as usual prob wont be dropped..so Grant a possible inclusion if not Gilbee..should rest Welsh up against these 2 perth sides.

Scorlibo
26-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Out: Murphy (inj), Higgins (inj), Hill, Welsh, Addison.
In: O'Keefe, Stack, Gilbee, Grant, Everitt.

Send a message Rocket! Welsh and Hill's performance was unacceptable and their form has been well down. Addison hasn't done enough to prove his worth.

Hot_Doggies
26-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Out- Eade

In-Buckley

AndrewP6
26-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Out- Eade

In-Buckley

Hope you're joking...if they ever gave Buckley the coaching job at the Dogs, I reckon I'd hand in my membership.

Dry Rot
26-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Hope you're joking...if they ever gave Buckley the coaching job at the Dogs, I reckon I'd hand in my membership.

Why?

AndrewP6
26-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Why?

Don't like him...can't really explain it, just a feeling...and I think Eade is the man for the job

Rocco Jones
26-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Don't like him...can't really explain it, just a feeling...and I think Eade is the man for the job

So you would stop getting a membership based on that? Fair enough.

AndrewP6
26-07-2009, 04:22 PM
So you would stop getting a membership based on that? Fair enough.

Maybe... I only started as a member 3 years ago...

Rocco Jones
26-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Willy lost by 26 points. Perhaps we can give away a spot in our 22 to someone in the crowd to increase our attendance next week.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Willy lost by 26 points. Perhaps we can give away a spot in our 22 to someone in the crowd to increase our attendance next week.

:D Full Forward?

Rocco Jones
26-07-2009, 06:34 PM
:D Full Forward?

Why not?

Reading GVGjr's report it doesn't seem like many Bulldogs players have put their hand up.

Perhaps...

OUT: Higgins, Murphy, Addison
IN: Gilbee, Stack, O'Keefe

bornadog
26-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Why not?

Reading GVGjr's report it doesn't seem like many Bulldogs players have put their hand up.

Perhaps...

OUT: Higgins, Murphy, Addison
IN: Gilbee, Stack, O'Keefe

I like your ins and Outs. If Welsh is injured, then Grant should come in.

Mofra
26-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Out: Higgins, Murphy, Welsh
In: O'Keefe, Gilbee, *

* Skipper, but I don't think it will happen. Chances are they'll juice Welsh up & let him play.

bulldog
26-07-2009, 08:47 PM
In Gilbee Everitt
Out:Higgins Murphy

Rocco Jones
26-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Would have loved Reid to be up and running. Even if he is right next week, he has to play for Willy first.

GVGjr
26-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Would have loved Reid to be up and running. Even if he is right next week, he has to play for Willy first.

I agree. I don't think we could rush him back into the side after missing two weeks.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I agree. I don't think we could rush him back into the side after missing two weeks.

Its actually 3 weeks Reid has missed GVG-coll,ess & saints.

Its got to be Okeefe if he doesnt play the next 2 weeks i dont think Rocket will pick him this year .again like last year!
Stack will probably come in as well based on the fact he has been named emergency recently.

Mofra
27-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Reid is probably your classic "uphill skiier". He'll play better against good teams who apply truckloads of pressure.

The Underdog
27-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Is Gilbee actually any certainty to return this week? It's obvious his dad isn't in a good way and I don't think we can rely on/pressure him to play considering that. I know I certainly wouldn't be up to playing footy if I were in the same situation.

Ins: Gilbee (if available), O'Keefe, Stack, Callan, Everitt (if no Gilbee),
Outs: Hill, Higgins, Murphy, Addison

I'd be happy for Welsh and Eagleton to go out but I can't see who replaces Welsh and we just can't wholesale turn over 5 or 6 players. We don't have the depth to do this. I'm leery about changing 4 to be honest although we don't have much choice with 2 and Hill is just giving us nothing atm. I also think Callan deserves a chance at the expense of Dyl
We also have to be careful of taking the next 2 weeks for granted. We are a superior side to both teams but also can perform down to the level of the opposition at times. A loss in either game would be disastrous.

Sedat
27-07-2009, 11:48 AM
We also have to be careful of taking the next 2 weeks for granted. We are a superior side to both teams but also can perform down to the level of the opposition at times. A loss in either game would be disastrous.
Under normal circumstances I would be in 100% agreeance. But with both WA teams now on 4 wins they have no margin for error left in relation to priority picks - neither team will go close to winning another game for the rest of the season.

Digressing for a moment, Richmond did all of Melbourne, Freo and West Coast a favour by winning yesterday and moving themselves out of priority pick calculations. So they can now go hell for leather for the rest of the season (they play Melbourne and West Coast before the season is out, and will win both games easily). That leaves Melbourne free to win against Freo in Round 20 and hey presto, all of West Coast, Freo and Melbourne will end up with 4 wins and miraculously end up with a priority pick each :rolleyes:

The very idea of the richest and most well-resourced team in the AFL manipulating the system in order to gain a priority pick, only 3 years after winning a premiership, is a disgrace.

I like your ins and outs Underdog. Having said that, I know Grant played a stinker yesterday but I wouldn't be against him coming into calculations as a like-for-like change with Welsh.

The Pie Man
27-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Is Gilbee actually any certainty to return this week? It's obvious his dad isn't in a good way and I don't think we can rely on/pressure him to play considering that. I know I certainly wouldn't be up to playing footy if I were in the same situation.

Ins: Gilbee (if available), O'Keefe, Stack, Callan, Everitt (if no Gilbee),
Outs: Hill, Higgins, Murphy, Addison

I'd be happy for Welsh and Eagleton to go out but I can't see who replaces Welsh and we just can't wholesale turn over 5 or 6 players. We don't have the depth to do this. I'm leery about changing 4 to be honest although we don't have much choice with 2 and Hill is just giving us nothing atm. I also think Callan deserves a chance at the expense of Dyl

I'm assuming the club has given up the idea of Skipper playing forward?

I'd also be happy to see Hill dropped, needs to find the ball at Willy and hopefully come back better for it

The Underdog
27-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Under normal circumstances I would be in 100% agreeance. But with both WA teams now on 4 wins they have no margin for error left in relation to priority picks - neither team will go close to winning another game for the rest of the season.

Digressing for a moment, Richmond did all of Melbourne, Freo and West Coast a favour by winning yesterday and moving themselves out of priority pick calculations. So they can now go hell for leather for the rest of the season (they play Melbourne and West Coast before the season is out, and will win both games easily). That leaves Melbourne free to win against Freo in Round 20 and hey presto, all of West Coast, Freo and Melbourne will end up with 4 wins and miraculously end up with a priority pick each :rolleyes:

The very idea of the richest and most well-resourced team in the AFL manipulating the system in order to gain a priority pick, only 3 years after winning a premiership, is a disgrace.

I like your ins and outs Underdog. Having said that, I know Grant played a stinker yesterday but I wouldn't be against him coming into calculations as a like-for-like change with Welsh.

I'm probably talking about the attitude of people on here as much as anything. There seems to be a general push to "bring in the kids" almost dismissing our opponents. Sure they aren't good, especially away, but one of West Coast's wins was against us. Agree both teams will benefit from a priority pick but we don't want to give them an excuse to try and win one. We need to be careful of how we expose our kids and I think giving Stack and O'Keefe a 2nd and first go respectively while hopefully bringing in 2 guys with some experience in Gilbee and Callan is the way to go. The 3 aside from Gilbee who's an automatic in, also seem to be our most consistent performers over the season at the lower level so would be just reward for form too. I know Welsh isn't giving us much but he's more chance of contributing positively than Grant at the moment. If we weren't fighting for a top four spot I'd say by all means play Grant over him. I think this should be Welsh's last year though.

I'm assuming the club has given up the idea of Skipper playing forward?

I'd also be happy to see Hill dropped, needs to find the ball at Willy and hopefully come back better for it

I think the idea of Skipper playing forward is one all should have given up on. He's not very quick, he doesn't have great hands and probably wouldn't give us much more than Minson in a forward role. His opponent would destroy us the other way.
I know many have strong memories of his 5 against Geelong but I think you'd be waiting a long time for him to repeat that.

aker39
27-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Agree both teams will benefit from a priority pick but we don't want to give them an excuse to try and win one.

Rest assured, West Coast will not win another game this year. Did you have a look at Freo's side yesterday. A bunch of no bodies. If the eagles couldn't beat their biggest rival in a derby, they have no intention of winning another game.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I really don't care who/what it is, it would just be nice to see some semblance of a change in forward line structure.

Sedat
27-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I know Welsh isn't giving us much but he's more chance of contributing positively than Grant at the moment. If we weren't fighting for a top four spot I'd say by all means play Grant over him. I think this should be Welsh's last year though.
When 100% fit, absolutely, but not in his current physical state.

Go_Dogs
27-07-2009, 02:41 PM
For mine, Hill is very lucky that we have a few injuries - he's offering us nothing at the moment and I was pretty disappointed with his work rate on Saturday night. He should have been paid at least one free, so probably should have had a goal - but just isn't doing enough.

Ins: Gilbee, Callan.

Gilbee to play forward.

Bulldog Revolution
27-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I think OKeefe will get an opportunity this week

I am wondering if Boumann might be considered also

I think with this week being Johnsons club record breaking game there will be a lot of media attention and I cant imagine our senior core (Morris, Lake, Gilbee, Cross, Boyd, Hahn, Griffen, Cooney) etc allowing us to lose this week.

Studentlib
27-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Outs: Hill, Welsh, Higgins, Murph, Eagleton.

Ins: Easton Wood, 184/85kg, hard at it and can kick a goal for Prof. Higgins, Think he played a preseason game on TV in Feb/Mar.
Brennan Stack for Eagleton, straight swap. Eagle has done nothing since his 250th.
Everitt for Welsh, can't contribute less and may give Welsh a chance to rest whatever injury he is carrying. Addison needs a couple of weeks in seniors, the jump from VFL is too great for players to adjust in one week.
Callan can come in and release Harbrow to forward line for a couple of weeks.
O'Keefe to come in. Have Minson 40-50 metres out to make a contest, get Georgie Bissett to show the small forwards how to place themselves front and centre of the pack, rove to the big bloke and use speed to run at goals and KICK STRAIGHT. 2 weeks for these youngsters to play in the team before the real tests to follow. I think we have an opportunity to try something different next 2 games (without being silly) and see if the game plan offers something.

The Pie Man
27-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I think the idea of Skipper playing forward is one all should have given up on. He's not very quick, he doesn't have great hands and probably wouldn't give us much more than Minson in a forward role. His opponent would destroy us the other way.
I know many have strong memories of his 5 against Geelong but I think you'd be waiting a long time for him to repeat that.

Probably not - though some of the marks Will dropped early on Saturday, and then to see the ball carried out rather easily following ...it'd be hard to play worse in the forward 50 than that display.

I think that's the most annoying thing about losing a game like that by 7 + goals, we should have been up by more in the 1st before St Kilda got going, and you never know how that could change the momentum. Somewhere in the back of my mind there's a part of me that remains convinced we can turn it on deep in September....but one thing I'm convinced of is that it's not going to happen with Will in our forward line. We just can't afford to squander gilt edged opportunities like he continues to do - I don't blame him, he's a natural ruckman, it's not his role.

Sedat
27-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Is Tim Callan capable of holding down that defensive small forward role? Harbrow's move to back-pocket has been a terrific success but it has left Tim Callan without a position in the current team. Could he make a good fist of the small defensive forward role? It's well known that Rocket loves Callan's fanaticism and hardness at the contest, but does he possess the necessary athleticism and smarts to make a success of the role. I'd love to have Callan in our senior team because you know we will get nothing short of 100% commitment to the team 100% of the time. Are there queries on his agility, pace off the mark and endurance?

Go_Dogs
27-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Is Tim Callan capable of holding down that defensive small forward role? Harbrow's move to back-pocket has been a terrific success but it has left Tim Callan without a position in the current team.

Baed on the reports that the Willy watchers provide he has played a few roles through the midfield locking down - that could be his go - and as DR floated in another thread - could allow Picken to play that role in the forward line.

comrade
27-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Is Tim Callan capable of holding down that defensive small forward role? Harbrow's move to back-pocket has been a terrific success but it has left Tim Callan without a position in the current team. Could he make a good fist of the small defensive forward role? It's well known that Rocket loves Callan's fanaticism and hardness at the contest, but does he possess the necessary athleticism and smarts to make a success of the role. I'd love to have Callan in our senior team because you know we will get nothing short of 100% commitment to the team 100% of the time. Are there queries on his agility, pace off the mark and endurance?

I think he does his best work when re-acting to the play, rather than generating it but without ever seeing him play an attacking role, it’s hard to make a call.

This is where it would be ideal to have our own VFL team, because we could throw him down there for a couple of weeks to see how he copes.

Same with Everitt – it’s so obvious he’s not comfortable in the tall defender role, yet he’s barely been tried forward of centre, despite us (Bulldogs) crying out for a decent sized forward.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Out: Higgins, Murphy, Welsh, Hill
Ins: GOK, Gilbee, Stack, Grant

It is time for a look at GOK and a couple of other youngun's.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Any reports on Johno yet with that Glute.

boydogs
27-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Likely

Out: Murphy (inj), Higgins (inj)
In: Gilbee, Stack

Out: Murphy (inj), Higgins (inj), Eagleton, Hill, Addison
In: Gilbee, Stack, Everitt, O'Keefe, Callan

macca
28-07-2009, 01:56 AM

This is why we should give some of the yonger kids ago: reid,o'keefe, wood, and see if it is worth keeping skipper this weekend. Its not like freo and wce won't blood more kids for a priority pick . out : eagleton, murphy, welsh, and addison.

Minson should be dropped, he can't hold a mark if his life depended on it. Make him go back to Willy, and sit him at full forward and ask him to mark everything all day.

Mantis
28-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Minson should be dropped, he can't hold a mark if his life depended on it. Make him go back to Willy, and sit him at full forward and ask him to mark everything all day.

Before Saturday nights game Will had been our best performed ruckman over the past 2 months and had barely spent any time at FF (bar the Port game in Darwin).

Yes he dropped a couple of marks he should have taken, but I find it quite strange that we expect just a part time FF to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Sedat
28-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes he dropped a couple of marks he should have taken, but I find it quite strange that we expect just a part time FF to take the game by the scruff of the neck.
Should he then be less of a part time forward and actually spend 60% or more of his time down there? I think we are burning the candle at both ends trying to have Will as our primary ruckman (a role that he has performed extremely well this season it must be said)and a mere pinch-hitter up forward. I'd actually prefer to see these roles reversed, and he spends the majority of his time up forward and pinch-hit in the ruck. People are too easy to dismiss him as a key forward but the reality is that spending barely 20 minutes a game down there leaves precious little opportunity with which to make a genuine impact down there.

The above is all predicated on Hudson being able to increase his workload to handle more extended periods as our key ruckman.

Mantis
28-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Should he then be less of a part time forward and actually spend 60% or more of his time down there? I think we are burning the candle at both ends trying to have Will as our primary ruckman (a role that he has performed extremely well this season it must be said)and a mere pinch-hitter up forward. I'd actually prefer to see these roles reversed, and he spends the majority of his time up forward and pinch-hit in the ruck. People are too easy to dismiss him as a key forward but the reality is that spending barely 20 minutes a game down there leaves precious little opportunity with which to make a genuine impact down there.

The above is all predicated on Hudson being able to increase his workload to handle more extended periods as our key ruckman.

I am not sure how fit Will is, but I would like to see him able to play up to 85 or 90% game time playing the type of role you have described.

It is pretty obvious that we will need a big target up front against teams like Geelong & St.Kilda and as Will is our best option at present we have to go with him.

LostDoggy
28-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I find it quite strange that we expect just a part time FF to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Yet when he does take the game by the scruff of the neck, everyone is very quick to point it out and sing his praise.

I think it's quite easy to say he's not a FF, lets cut him some slack. Fact is he dropped marks that he should of taken, be it at FF or at HB, those marks were very gettable irrespective of where he was on the ground. He has set a high standard in the last 6 weeks and that's what supporters now expect from him so in comparison he was very poor and it's OK to call it out.

Having said this though, his fumbling was indicative of the whole team on Sat night. I've never seem us fumble and shit ourselves so often, even when we didn't need to. Will had a lot of friends on Sat night who were eating out of St Kilda's hands.

LostDoggy
28-07-2009, 02:40 PM

You make a valid point Sedat, however, when he has been presented with an opportunity in the last 6 - 8 weeks he has taken it with both hands really stepped up to the plate, this shows that he can do it. His performance up forward on Sat night was less about the amount of time he spent up forward and more about believing he is capable against quality opposition even when things aren't going his way.

Will is a confidence player and once his confidence gets shot he falls to pieces as was the case on Sat night.

Mantis
28-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Tough one this week with a couple of injuries and quite a few players not in the best of form.

Certain outs: Murphy, Higgins

Possible outs: Addison, Welsh, Hill

I guess any of the following could be worthy of a promotion, but I am really not sure how the match committee is thinking so I will just list a group and they can pick from them:

O'Keefe, Gilbee, Stack, Callan, Everitt, Wood.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Spot on. Someone I went with asked me who we should bring in for Eagle after the 4,532nd time I had a go at him tonight and I said "anyone" as well.

Another one I am absolutely over with is Welsh. He is done. He is a super clever player, which means he can bob up with 3-4 goals against ordinary sides but against the top sides he is pretty much useless. The whole "he adds to our structure" thing is bullshit imo. He probably survives due to the massive queue ahead of him.

Higgins obviously has to miss and I really hope we rest Bobby, but I know Eade hates resting guns and will play him if he is able to walk.

No doubt Welsh cant cut it against the better sides and we will never win a flag with Nathan Fumbleton in our side... he lets us down time and time again.. hes good at kicking goals in the last quarter when the game is over

Mofra
29-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Having said this though, his fumbling was indicative of the whole team on Sat night. I've never seem us fumble and shit ourselves so often, even when we didn't need to. Will had a lot of friends on Sat night who were eating out of St Kilda's hands.
That gets lost amongst the witch hunt a little - almost every player had the fumbles for alot of the night, unfortunately Eagle & Will cop the most flak for it (I could be cruel and say that Hill would've fumbled too if he managed to get near the ball).

With Welsh out and Eade floating Grant's name despite saying his form wasn't great, I'd be inclined to think he'll play and we might get to see how far he's come in half a season.

Out: Welsh, Murphy, Higgins
In: Grant, Gilbee, O'Keefe

jazzadogs
29-07-2009, 08:42 PM
That gets lost amongst the witch hunt a little - almost every player had the fumbles for alot of the night, unfortunately Eagle & Will cop the most flak for it (I could be cruel and say that Hill would've fumbled too if he managed to get near the ball).

With Welsh out and Eade floating Grant's name despite saying his form wasn't great, I'd be inclined to think he'll play and we might get to see how far he's come in half a season.

In: Grant, Gilbee, O'Keefe
How certain is Gilbee to play? If he was a late withdrawal last week because of his dad, I don't see why everyone is so confident that everything will be alright this week?

If he does come in, I agree with Mofra's changes. It won't be any more than three, as Eade has shown he doesn't like actually dropping players. With both Welsh and Murphy out, Grant has to be included purely for the fact that we need a forward to come in.

BulldogBelle
29-07-2009, 10:46 PM
In: Everitt, Gilbee, O'Keefe

On Grant. I dont think he has been consistenly amoungst the better players at Willy for quite a while. I watched the game at Sandringham last week, and Grant was constanly caught out of position, didnt lead into hot spots, didnt chase hard enough up the ground, didnt lay many tackles for memory...although he did manage to hold down a couple marks out on the lead....

I think he is best suited to a HFF role at this stage of his career...the guy is like a stick and would simply get crunched closer to goal, plus his kicking for goal needs improvement

On O'Keefe. The guy has been working his butt of in the VFL all season and deserves to be blooded, at least he can understand what will be required at AFL level in terms of intensity etc...which will benefit him next season when he is hopefully a semi-regular

Everitt. Play him as a wingman, HBF, and not in a 100% defensively minded role, but moreso a role where he can create and lead our forward thrusts...

Lets try this as a starting forward line;

Johnson Hahn O'Keefe
Hill Minson Aker

Mofra
30-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I think he is best suited to a HFF role at this stage of his career...the guy is like a stick and would simply get crunched closer to goal
I'd tend to agree if we didn't seem to play Josh "74 kgs of grunt" Hill there.
If Grant comes in, Hill (who has a better engine) could move to HFF and allow Grant to play deep.

Desipura
30-07-2009, 10:26 AM
whoever comes in should feel f%$king honoured to play in the record breaking game of a Bulldog great!