PDA

View Full Version : The Blueprint

comrade
26-07-2009, 01:22 AM
We've all heard about Rocket's ongoing contract negotiations and the fact that he had to present his Blueprint for the Club's future.

Put yourself in Rocket's shoes - what would your Blueprint for success look like?

What steps need to be taken to take the next step from top 4 team, to a genuine premiership contender?

Who needs to go? What holes need to be filled?

It's probably not easy to be rational after a disappointing loss, but I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on how they'd do it if they ran the show.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-07-2009, 02:41 AM
He needs to bite the bullet and make a decision on all of our older players. Eagleton, Welsh, Akermanis, Johnson and Hudson. All 30+ with 1-2 years left. However - we are not going to get ANY improvement from them. I wouldn't say any of them are playing well enough to be able to say they make any sort of real difference to our side, either. Rocket needs to make the call; stick with them for another year, or develop a bunch of new players.

It might mean taking a step back for a year, but longer term, we would be far better off. I would think Eagle/Welsh/Aker are certain to retire. Hudson will play on because Roughead and co aren't ready yet. Don't be suprised if they over take him quickly though. Hudson has had an ordinary year. Johnson is an interesting one, he's still getting a lot of the ball and he's #1 in the competition for goal assists. Despite that - he's turning the ball over a lot, is slow and makes iffy decisions with the ball in defense/midfield. One would assume he'll play on though.

That leaves 3 positions available that we can start developing players in. Reid, O'Keefe, Stack, Everitt and Grant are a few that spring to mind that would all likely see a lot more game time. This can only be a good thing. Some of these players will help this club take the 'next step'. However, if we keep them bundled to the side, they won't hang around for long when they can be getting opportunities elsewhere. Bottom line; the 19-22 year olds will improve the side more than the 30-33 year olds. It might take a year or so, but we've really got to start moving towards that.

As good as our list is, there's quite a few that could/should be released at the season's end. Wight, Lynch, Skipper & O'Shea would be very unlikely at this stage. With the draft concessions in place, can we afford to add Eagle/Welsh/Aker and remove 7? It's a relatively highish number and so it'll be interesting to see how they handle that. Either way, I want to see us develop the young talent ASAP.

Remi Moses
26-07-2009, 03:05 AM
Agree with the sentiments re-Aker,Welsh and the Eagle disagree with Hudson having an ordinary season though. Little bit knee jerk I think

GVGjr
26-07-2009, 10:06 AM
The blueprint should contain details on:

- List management
- Player development
- Game plan development
- Short and long term vision
- Leadership

There is a few more points as well like, Personal development, Managing relationships, Innovations and trends and technologies

Who should go, in my opinion should be:

Primary List
O'Shea, Lynch, Skipper Wight and Welsh with the possibility of Akermanis. Possibly one more as well.

Picken to be upgraded and Shaw a chance to be if another short term support ruckman cannot be traded for.

Rookie List
Mulligan, White and Shaw (with the above mentioned proviso)

Daniels to be maintained or potentially promoted and I'm not sure on Ogle.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Inject someone into the bloody forward line!! Whats the use of busting ya balls to get it down there, then to have no one to kick it to! :mad:

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Inject someone into the bloody forward line!! Whats the use of busting ya balls to get it down there, then to have no one to kick it to! :mad:

How angry does it make you seeing it!!

Mantis
26-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Which players on our list at present would you like to see 'injected' into our forwardline?

Happy Days
26-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Disagree with the calls for Aker's scalp, he's been one of our top 5 players this year.

Regarding list deletions, the only players with a penned line through their name would be Wight and Skip, Lynch in pencil. Everyone else has six weeks left to prove themselves worthy going forward.

Twodogs
26-07-2009, 01:35 PM
The blueprint should contain details on:

- Leadership

This is what it all comes down to. Until we find someone who absolutely refuses to drop his head, just keeps going for the ball and drags his teammates along with him we wont go anywhere near a flag.

Dry Rot
26-07-2009, 02:44 PM
. Everyone else has six weeks left to prove themselves worthy going forward.

But what does this mean?

This team wasn't good enough to win a flag last year and it isn't good enough this year.

And if we are aiming for a flag next year and keep most of our older players, the team won't be good enough in 2010 either. Nor if we don't keep them.

IMO we won't be a serious threat till the young talls start to come through. IMO we should do a bit of a Hawthorn, have a clean-out at the end of this year of all the older players except Hudson and then aim to be a serious contender in 2012.

If that means a crap 2010 season (results and finals wise) rebuilding, so be it. It will be a good investment. And then dropping players playing badly like Saints did with Ball.

The older players aren't going to be "going forward" next year, all will be decline like Welsh and Acker this year. Time to do a "Scott West" to all of them (including Johnno) and stock up in the last proper draft for a while.

bulldogsman
26-07-2009, 02:45 PM
This is what it all comes down to. Until we find someone who absolutely refuses to drop his head, just keeps going for the ball and drags his teammates along with him we wont go anywhere near a flag.

I thought Boyd did that, but we need a number of players doing it.

azabob
26-07-2009, 02:56 PM
The thing that is concerning me is our up and coming YOUTH.

I understand they are all showing potential but Eade and the Club did state at the end of last year they expected quite a few of the youngsters to be pushing for and playing senior footy in 2009 - Grant, Everitt, Stack, O'Keffe, Wood, Reid.
Bar Ward and Harbrow this really has not happened. I think Williams is only playing senior football cause he can run and has some size about him.

Are they as good as we think or are they just not good enough to push out the like of Eagleton, Welsh, Akermanins and Hahn?

Do we bite the bullet and de list the older players and hope the younger players are up to it and can perform in 2010.

My biggest concern is our up and coming forwards maybe not so our key position forwards but our mid sized forwards.

At years end I think they need to move on; Eagleton, Wight, Skipper, O'Shea, Welsh, Lynch. and maybe just maybe Akermanins.

Dry Rot
26-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Are they as good as we think or are they just not good enough to push out the like of Eagleton, Welsh, Akermanins and Hahn?

Do we bite the bullet and de list the older players and hope the younger players are up to it and can perform in 2010.

IMO make 2010 a development year and invest time in these guys and hang the results for next year.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I think most of us are all on the same page here and agree we need a mini rebuild.

If you want something out of Roughead in 2011 I think Hudson would need to be traded as well.

AndrewP6
26-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I think most of us are all on the same page here and agree we need a mini rebuild.

If you want something out of Roughead in 2011 I think Hudson would need to be traded as well.

Who would we get for Hudson? A 31 year old (in February)?

Dry Rot
26-07-2009, 03:45 PM

I don't get your logic here. IMO Roughead needs a good injury free in the Willi ones next year.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-07-2009, 06:28 PM
The thing that is concerning me is our up and coming YOUTH.

I understand they are all showing potential but Eade and the Club did state at the end of last year they expected quite a few of the youngsters to be pushing for and playing senior footy in 2009 - Grant, Everitt, Stack, O'Keffe, Wood, Reid.
Bar Ward and Harbrow this really has not happened. I think Williams is only playing senior football cause he can run and has some size about him.

Everitt, Stack, O'Keefe and Reid have had OK-good seasons playing at Williamstown but have rarely been given a chance at the next level. Eade said he'd be getting games into this group of players and it hasn't happened. He also said he'd rest Hudson, Johnson, Akermanis and Eagleton where needed. That too, hasn't happened.

IMO most of them haven't been given the opportunity and it seems as though they won't get it until the 3-4 older players retire. That's why I really think we need to move most of them on and turn our attention to developing a very young and talented list.

My biggest concern is our up and coming forwards maybe not so our key position forwards but our mid sized forwards.

Agreed. We've got quite a few holes popping up now, and KPP's isn't one of them. We need to get games into Stack & O'Keefe as they have been earmarked for positions in the forward haf of the ground/midfield. I suspect we'll be trying to draft one or two mid sized forwards too.

GVGjr
26-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Lets stay focused on the thread title rather than challenging the individual details.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Its a case of don't give the kids a go, but if we don't we'll never know! The majority of other clubs are but we just don't seem to think its warrented! Now we have a few injurys and Rockets got bugger all options! Poor list management if you ask me:( What a crappy weekend of footy

Mantis
27-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Its a case of don't give the kids a go, but if we don't we'll never know! The majority of other clubs are but we just don't seem to think its warrented! Now we have a few injurys and Rockets got bugger all options! Poor list management if you ask me:( What a crappy weekend of footy

Do Geelong & St.Kilda play their kids just for the sake of it? Not a chance.

Over the past 2 seasons we have had one of the the best win/ loss ratio's in the business. The reason for this is because we have been able to keep our best team on the park due to good management and some lady luck. We haven't had the need to play the kids and really their performances at the lower level hasn't really warranted them being given an opportunity to play in a team that has been reasonably successful.

However, we played Grant against Carlton earlier this season and he was buggered at 1/4 time, Stack also played a game and was very quiet. Reid forced his way into the team and performed admirably, but got injured in the process and hasn't been seen since.

One would think a couple of players will get an opportunity over the coming weeks, I hope these guys take the chance they are provided with.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Now is the time to rest some of our players, Hudson - bring in Skipper, bring in O'keefe int the forward line, rest Aker for one game, and Johno the other game against the WA sides.

The Coon Dog
27-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Now is the time to rest some of our players, Hudson - bring in Skipper, bring in O'keefe int the forward line, rest Aker for one game, and Johno the other game against the WA sides.
Skip would really struggle against Sandilands. I would prefer Hudson & Minson to be honest, likewise the following week against NicNat.

Mantis
27-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Skip would really struggle against Sandilands. I would prefer Hudson & Minson to be honest, likewise the following week against NicNat.

It might be better to rest Hudson from the Brisbane game, saves him making a road trip and I think Skipper could go ok against Mitch Clark.

Jasper
27-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Talking of blue prints, I think Eade showed us the blueprint to beat the saints in the third qrt. It is ugly football but It worked, if not for the 2 injuries and the 19th man we may have been there abouts. we have the team with the skills that can beat them but as the third qrt showed we have to be prepared to play ugly arse footy, commit all our numbers back and then release the runners. Aka's pass to Griffen for the last goal of the qrt was a prime example of this.

Sockeye Salmon
27-07-2009, 01:47 PM
St. Kilda are on track to be the first team in history to go through a season without blooding a first gamer.

The Coon Dog
27-07-2009, 01:51 PM
St. Kilda are on track to be the first team in history to go through a season without blooding a first gamer.

The fitness guy they got from Sydney, Dave Missen I think, has done well over a fair while with player conditioning.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Im not sure if I can articulate my concern adequately, but I think their will be pain in the transission from predominantly 6 individual mid sized forwards to two key marking forwards over the next two years. Can we effectively adapt our current game style to suit this transition?

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Do Geelong & St.Kilda play their kids just for the sake of it? Not a chance.
Over the past 2 seasons we have had one of the the best win/ loss ratio's in the business. The reason for this is because we have been able to keep our best team on the park due to good management and some lady luck. We haven't had the need to play the kids and really their performances at the lower level hasn't really warranted them being given an opportunity to play in a team that has been reasonably successful.
However, we played Grant against Carlton earlier this season and he was buggered at 1/4 time, Stack also played a game and was very quiet. Reid forced his way into the team and performed admirably, but got injured in the process and hasn't been seen since.

One would think a couple of players will get an opportunity over the coming weeks, I hope these guys take the chance they are provided with.

Do Geelong and St.Kilda play out of form and injured players? Not a chance!!
We seem to think we can get away with it!! There have certainly been some performances at Willi that have warrented a spot! Thier unwillingness or lack of guts is going to backfire and all the cracks are starting to widen. We have depth but we dont use it. Sure they are young, so what! Start dropping a few blokes and watch everyone s**t themselves:mad:

AndrewP6
27-07-2009, 09:45 PM
We seem to think we can get away with it!! There have certainly been some performances at Willi that have warrented a spot! Thier unwillingness or lack of guts is going to backfire and all the cracks are starting to widen. We have depth but we dont use it. Sure they are young, so what! Start dropping a few blokes and watch everyone s**t themselves:mad:

I haven't seen much of the players at Willy, so I can only comment based on my perceptions. I think that the depth we supposedly have isn't really there. Making the big jump from VFL to AFL is huge. Maybe the coaches feel the players doing well at Willy wouldn't make the jump that well. And we can't flirt with form...not good enough for that.

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2009, 10:10 PM
The thread is full of posts about how individual players should be treated. That is not a blueprint but week to week action.

The Blueprint should be about how the club develops the list, how they work with Williamstown, how they set goals for players as individuals and the team.

An important part of the Blueprint is to keep the Bulldogs a continual premieship threat and would identify the resources the club need to provide to maximise the chance at the ultimate prize.

GVGjr
27-07-2009, 10:50 PM
The thread is full of posts about how individual players should be treated. That is not a blueprint but week to week action.

The Blueprint should be about how the club develops the list, how they work with Williamstown, how they set goals for players as individuals and the team.

An important part of the Blueprint is to keep the Bulldogs a continual premieship threat and would identify the resources the club need to provide to maximise the chance at the ultimate prize.

I agree that the thread has gotten way off topic.

Lets see if we can get it back on track.

macca
28-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Disagree with the calls for Aker's scalp, he's been one of our top 5 players this year.

Regarding list deletions, the only players with a penned line through their name would be Wight and Skip, Lynch in pencil. Everyone else has six weeks left to prove themselves worthy going forward.

You must be blind not see the value that Aker has done this year. He was sensational against brisbane, and turned the game against geelong. He was a bit fumbly last week, but who was not ?

If we get rid of 4: skip, wigh, lynch and o'shea; we should focus on fast tracking on of the tall youngster. Who would be worth giving a few games next year ? See how much Mumford has progressed this year. He out bodied several times in the game.

LostDoggy
28-07-2009, 09:53 AM
What I am trying to say is as part of the blue print we need to get one or two games into the kids during the year when the opportunity arises ( lack of form or injury) so that if we need them they at least know what to expect. Now is where i'm coming from as Murphy and Higgins have gone down with injury. Whos to say we won't lose a few more!! Thats what i mean about managing the list so we have some back up players to come in. I'm sure they are scratching thier heads at the minute! Imagine going into a prelim without Murph, Higgo and Boyd for example!

Bulldog Revolution
28-07-2009, 10:09 AM
You must be blind not see the value that Aker has done this year. He was sensational against brisbane, and turned the game against geelong. He was a bit fumbly last week, but who was not ?

Aker was excellent early in the year. He's faded a bit of late. If he is unable to have an influence in the finals then its probably time to move on.

Just a shame with Aker that we didn't get him 10 years earlier

hujsh
28-07-2009, 09:50 PM

Pretty sure Geelong played both in the GF last year

BulldogBelle
28-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I think that the club is on the wrong track asking Eade to put in a BluePrint.

That's the President's job to appoint brains trust people to develop a Blueprint for success and then populate that BluePrint with staff capable of carrying it out.

The planning has to start at the very top level and be coordinated right throughout the club.

"This is what we want to achieve and this is how we are going to do it."

From recruiting to promotion, administration, player development, training, facilities, staffing and all the rest. The coach has to conform to the BluePrint, he is not the one who makes it; the coach is just another cog in the wheel.

They are going about it upside down, old thinking.

I bet clubs like the Eagles, Crows and Pies don't go about things that way.

AndrewP6
28-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I think that the club is on the wrong track asking Eade to put in a BluePrint.

That's the President's job to appoint brains trust people to develop a Blueprint for success and then populate that BluePrint with staff capable of carrying it out.

The planning has to start at the very top level and be coordinated right throughout the club.

"This is what we want to achieve and this is how we are going to do it."

From recruiting to promotion, administration, player development, training, facilities, staffing and all the rest. The coach has to conform to the BluePrint, he is not the one who makes it; the coach is just another cog in the wheel.

They are going about it upside down, old thinking.

I bet clubs like the Eagles, Crows and Pies don't go about things that way.

No offence to Smorgo and Co. but I wouldn't want them in charge of player development, training etc. They have their areas of expertise, Rocket has his. I'm sure the club admin have their own "vision". Trick is to find a coach that can match it.