PDA

View Full Version : Eagle soaring east

AndrewP6
26-07-2009, 04:46 PM
In Today's H-S, there's an article (by Jay Clark) which reports that WCE ruckman Mark Seaby has requested a trade, due to playing third fiddle behind Dean Cox and Nic Nat. Article also mentions Freo's Marcus Drum, and says he is "on the radar of at least Carlton and the Western Bulldogs"

Anyone know anything about Drum? Would he be worth a look ? (22 years, 192cm)...

mighty_west
26-07-2009, 04:57 PM
In Today's H-S, there's an article (by Jay Clark) which reports that WCE ruckman Mark Seaby has requested a trade, due to playing third fiddle behind Dean Cox and Nic Nat. Article also mentions Freo's Marcus Drum, and says he is "on the radar of at least Carlton and the Western Bulldogs"

Anyone know anything about Drum? Would he be worth a look ? (22 years, 192cm)...

Was a very highly rated junior, went top 10 for memory, pretty sure he's a left foot kick, or am i getting him & Gilmore confused?

Not too sure why he hasn't been given much of a go at Freo, with the amounts of talls we have coming through, would we need him?, Everitt, Boumann, Tiller as defenders, Cordy, Roughead, Grant & Jones as forwards & ruck options.

I could imagine Carlton & the Hawks making a play for him, perhaps even the Swans.

Remi Moses
26-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Mark Seaby no chance. Bit surprised Drum hasn't done anything very highly touted ,maybe needs a change.

Happy Days
26-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Bit surprised Drum hasn't done anything very highly touted ,maybe needs a change.

Maybe he's a spud.

A highly touted junior does not a gun AFL player make. Doogs went pick 5 after all.

azabob
26-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Not sure we need another under performing "highly touted player" who to me seems very very similar to Everitt.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Mark Seaby no chance. Bit surprised Drum hasn't done anything very highly touted ,maybe needs a change.

Yes, a bit like Farren Ray maybe.

Dry Rot
26-07-2009, 05:46 PM
From the title, I thought this thread was about Eagleton switching codes next season and playing for the NZ Warriors in the NRL.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Was a very highly rated junior, went top 10 for memory, pretty sure he's a left foot kick, or am i getting him & Gilmore confused?

Not too sure why he hasn't been given much of a go at Freo, with the amounts of talls we have coming through, would we need him?, Everitt, Boumann, Tiller as defenders, Cordy, Roughead, Grant & Jones as forwards & ruck options.

I could imagine Carlton & the Hawks making a play for him, perhaps even the Swans.

Considering how little he's achieved he should come pretty cheap. He would almost be on Freo's delisting shortlist.

If we could get Drum for basically nothing, say pick 50, I'd trade Everitt, and I'd be looking for a lot more than pick 50 for him.

If you look at our list management:

Eagleton (vet/retire) - replaced by Picken (elevate)
Skipper (delist) - Shaw (elevate)
Welsh (retire) - Hall (trade pick 100)
Everitt (trade) - Drum (trade pick 50)
O'Shea (delist)
Lynch (delist)

We would either have to delist and re-draft Shaw, draft Hall or delist another player.

Hot_Doggies
26-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Considering how little he's achieved he should come pretty cheap. He would almost be on Freo's delisting shortlist.

If we could get Drum for basically nothing, say pick 50, I'd trade Everitt, and I'd be looking for a lot more than pick 50 for him.

O'Shea (delist)
Lynch (delist)

We would either have to delist and re-draft Shaw, draft Hall or delist another player.

I don't see the point of trading Everitt yet. I would give him another year to get to full size and fitness.

And NO Drum or Seaby for me.

LostDoggy
26-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Recruited from the Murray Bushrangers, Drum is the nephew of former Geelong player, Fremantle coach and current Victorian Nationals MLC Damian Drum. In the 2005 National Draft, Drum was selected at number 10.

Rocco Jones
26-07-2009, 06:31 PM
And NO Drum or Seaby for me.

You must know a lot more about Drum than I do if you can come up with such a definite answer (caps and all!). Can you please enlighten me because I know very little about him.

mighty_west
26-07-2009, 06:54 PM

O'Shea (delist)
Lynch (delist)

Well, there lays a problem, i could never see Freo [as bad as they have been in the past with trading], lose Drum for that cheap, is Everitt worth more than Drum right now? going by form & reputation, i'd have both on a par IMO, both high draft picks, both developing talls, and both highly rated juniors.

I would rather keep Everitt and not go for Drum, Drum is also not a key position player IMO, both tall flankers, if Everitt for whatever reason wanted out, then sure, worth a shot, but i wouldn't just turf out Everitt & bring in Drum.

From your list, i'd have Wight on the [delist] section as well and maybe Aker as a retirement.

Twodogs
26-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I hope Seaby soars right over us to somewhere else but I'm not totally against looking at Drum-as long as he hasnt inherited his footy smarts from his uncle.

Rocco Jones
26-07-2009, 07:11 PM
I hope Seaby soars right over us to somewhere else but I'm not totally against looking at Drum-as long as he hasnt inherited his footy smarts from his uncle.

I think Seaby is a depth kind of player and I see Hudson, Minson, Roughead, Cordy and Shaw as providing us with enough ruck depth.

He could replace Skipper if cheap enough but I would imagine that a couple of clubs would be more keen.

mjp
26-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Neither player can get a game for their (bottom-3) side at the moment...and in Drum's case, it really is a case of last man standing at that club. Drum played reserves for East Perth yesterday (Perth have the bye) and struggled at that level - I dont know why we would bother.

Topdog
26-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes, a bit like Farren Ray maybe.

Do people forget that Farren had played over 70 games before moving? How many has Drum played?

Sedat
26-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Drum is basically a poor man's Mundy, but with a concerning history of soft tissue injuries. He's one of those in-betweener size types that I'm not overly sure would fill any current void in our list. I'm just not convinced he can turn us from a top 4 team to a bona fide premiership favourite.

Mofra
27-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm not in favour of getting a fringe tall from a bottom 3 side that can't get a game even when the youngsters are getting a go. We will be purging list cloggers as it is at the end of the year.
We're better off with a decent small forward as opposed to a hack tall.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Calls for Everitt's demise are ridiculous.

Still only 20 years of age and coming from an interrupted pre-season, there is no way he should be considered for a trade.

Bulldog Revolution
27-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Neither player can get a game for their (bottom-3) side at the moment...and in Drum's case, it really is a case of last man standing at that club. Drum played reserves for East Perth yesterday (Perth have the bye) and struggled at that level - I dont know why we would bother.

That really sums it up

I dont think anyone was suggesting we look at Seaby

But if Drum cant get a game for Freo in 09 when they are trying everybody then what help would he be to us?

Go_Dogs
27-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Calls for Everitt's demise are ridiculous.

Still only 20 years of age and coming from an interrupted pre-season, there is no way he should be considered for a trade.

Agreed. He has a lot of work to do, but the potential is certainly there. No way should (would) we be considering him for a trade as we would not get anywhere near the value we paid for him - and he has a LOT of upside.

His body is a work in progress, and his biggest challenge - putting on bulk - has probably hampered his best asset - his speed and agility. Add that to a few injury-affected years and it's no real surprise that he is behind the 8-ball.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Why would we trade Everitt? I can't think of a solid argument yet.

Sockeye Salmon
27-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Why would we trade Everitt? I can't think of a solid argument yet.

The arguement is that he lacks intensity in a Sam Power kind of way and right now his trade value could very well be at it's highest.

We could pick up Drum for basically nothing to play the same role and he could possibly be just as likely to succeed.

You also wouldn't be giving Everitt away, either. You would be looking for something in the 10-20 range.

It depends a bit on whether Dalrymple thinks he could get a decent kid for the pick and why hasn't Drum kicked on?

Is Drum + pick 15 > Everitt + pick 50?

bulldogtragic
27-07-2009, 06:27 PM
The arguement is that he lacks intensity in a Sam Power kind of way and right now his trade value could very well be at it's highest.

We could pick up Drum for basically nothing to play the same role and he could possibly be just as likely to succeed.

You also wouldn't be giving Everitt away, either. You would be looking for something in the 10-20 range.

It depends a bit on whether Dalrymple thinks he could get a decent kid for the pick and why hasn't Drum kicked on?

I see the argument, the same one used that Farren's price was much higher 2/3 years ago. That in mind, I can see the potential of a benefit, but that means giving up on the kid.

I take it you think Everitt isn't a certianty to make it, and in this scenario, how does Freo get pick 15 that will be, give or take, our pick already?

G-Mo77
27-07-2009, 06:46 PM

I know Freo have made some bad moves over the years but even with potential there is no way they would give us a 1st Round pick for Everitt.

Topdog
27-07-2009, 06:49 PM
How exactly would Freo have pick 15. 15 is our pick in that scenario.

Sockeye Salmon
27-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Didn't say anything about trading him to Freo. Two seperate trades.

If we couldn't get anyone to offer up a late 1st rounder I wouldn't trade him. Easy.

Desipura
28-07-2009, 09:56 AM
When Drum was first drafted he was touted as a future leader, Im not too sure what has gone wrong at Freo. I would not be disappointed if we got Drum, Freo has a habit of letting players go to other sides and then they become good footballers. Some say it has to do with the culture out West, they do not have any basically.
Bell, Clement, Medhurst and to a lesser extent McPhee and Wira are somep layers who have played better footy elsewhere.
Maguire is the one I would first be targetting providing he has not lost any of his speed.

Sedat
28-07-2009, 12:00 PM
When Drum was first drafted he was touted as a future leader, Im not too sure what has gone wrong at Freo. I would not be disappointed if we got Drum, Freo has a habit of letting players go to other sides and then they become good footballers. Some say it has to do with the culture out West, they do not have any basically.
Bell, Clement, Medhurst and to a lesser extent McPhee and Wira are somep layers who have played better footy elsewhere.
Maguire is the one I would first be targetting providing he has not lost any of his speed.
Soft tissue injuries have really hampered his continuity of training and adversely affected his career to date.

Smart trading is all about identifying underperforming players at their lowest trade value, and I guess under thos criteria Drum would be worth looking at. But it needs to be in accordance with an expectation that his arrival to the club will fill a hole and make us a better team with his presence - that is the part I struggle with in relation to Drum.

Scraggers
28-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I really don't want to get rid of Everitt ... the club and Chris Grant obviously saw enough in him to give him the immortal number 3 ...

But if we have to, then maybe its worth holing onto Everitt for one more year and using him as GC17 bait ?

azabob
28-07-2009, 07:35 PM

What role to you see Magurie playing? He struggles against the bigger forwards and couldn't play on the quick leading types as he isn't quick enough.
To me he is just another version of Tiller 3rd tall at best.

Desipura
28-07-2009, 09:03 PM
What role to you see Magurie playing? He struggles against the bigger forwards and couldn't play on the quick leading types as he isn't quick enough.
To me he is just another version of Tiller 3rd tall at best.
Why cant he play on bigger forwards? A few seasons back he was standing the likes of J Brown and acquitted himself very well. Agree he isnt quick enough against the leading types. 3rd tall at best? He is much stronger than Tiller.
I think his best position is CHB and may be able to pinch hit as a CHF. Goose would free up Williams to play CHF.

azabob
28-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Why cant he play on bigger forwards? A few seasons back he was standing the likes of J Brown and acquitted himself very well. Agree he isnt quick enough against the leading types.

I have a different memory of him not doing so well against the bigger forwards.
I just wonder how much time out of the game has;

1) Shortend our memories of him both positive and negative sense. Me negative, you a positive veiw.

2) I think in general the longer someone is out for injured the better player they become in everyones mind.

Mantis
28-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Why cant he play on bigger forwards? A few seasons back he was standing the likes of J Brown and acquitted himself very well. Agree he isnt quick enough against the leading types. 3rd tall at best? He is much stronger than Tiller.
I think his best position is CHB and may be able to pinch hit as a CHF. Goose would free up Williams to play CHF.

Williams is barely going at CHB, how the hell is he going to play in probably the hardest position on the ground?

Desipura
29-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Williams is barely going at CHB, how the hell is he going to play in probably the hardest position on the ground? We are talking in 6 mths time. I think we should give Tommy a go at CHF to try and create the play as opposed being reactive to his opponent.

Mantis
29-07-2009, 09:27 AM
We are talking in 6 mths time. I think we should give Tommy a go at CHF to try and create the play as opposed being reactive to his opponent.

That is a pretty easy task to achieve isn't it. :rolleyes:

Desipura
29-07-2009, 09:38 AM
That is a pretty easy task to achieve isn't it. :rolleyes:
With quality delivery to the forward line it is easier. What are we going to do differently come September? Or are we happy to win just another final at best? Sometimes you need to look outside the square.

Mantis
29-07-2009, 10:50 AM
With quality delivery to the forward line it is easier. What are we going to do differently come September? Or are we happy to win just another final at best? Sometimes you need to look outside the square.

Personally I think it is to late in the season to go buggering around with our structure and players within that structure. Sure if Tom hadn't missed so many games during the middle of the season we might have been able to try him up forward, but I think that time has passed.

And no I don't want us to bomb out in the finals, but I think there is enough talent within our team to bounce back from a poor performance last week such that we can hit the finals with some momentum.

Desipura
29-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Fair enough on Tom. What if Murphy or Higgins reinjure themselves late in the season in their comeback game? (fingers, toes crossed they don't), what is our contigency plan? Now that they are both likely to be out for a few weeks, we need to tinker with our forward structure.

Mantis
29-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Fair enough on Tom. What if Murphy or Higgins reinjure themselves late in the season in their comeback game? (fingers, toes crossed they don't), what is our contigency plan? Now that they are both likely to be out for a few weeks, we need to tinker with our forward structure.

I guess we will find that out going on who comes into replace them this week.

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2009, 01:26 PM

In reality, it our (or anyone else for that matter) better players aren't fit and firing in September you lose.

If Riewoldt goes down, St. Kilda don't win the flag.

Desipura
29-07-2009, 01:30 PM
In reality, it our (or anyone else for that matter) better players aren't fit and firing in September you lose.

If Riewoldt goes down, St. Kilda don't win the flag.
True to some extent however Riewoldt has not done a hammy (fingers cross he does) and therefore Saints do not need to think of a contigency. As Mantis said, all will be revealed this week.

Topdog
29-07-2009, 03:44 PM
True to some extent however Riewoldt has not done a hammy (fingers cross he does) and therefore Saints do not need to think of a contigency. As Mantis said, all will be revealed this week.

So they don't need to think of a contingency plan even though they may need one. What happens if Nick gets injured in Round 22?

Desipura
29-07-2009, 03:56 PM
So they don't need to think of a contingency plan even though they may need one. What happens if Nick gets injured in Round 22?
Unlike us, they have backup big men like Kosi who can play that position and play it well!

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Unlike us, they have backup big men like Kosi who can play that position and play it well!

Regardless, if Riewoldt gets hurt, St. Kilda can't win the premiership.

We're not so reliant on one person, but if Gia, Higgins, Murphy and Gilbee were out for the rest of the season (like they were in the 2nd half on Saturday) there is no contingency plan. You simply lose.

Topdog
29-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Play it well? You really think that if Riewoldt goes down they will be fine with Kosi as their only target? With no Riewoldt and Kosi as the number 1 target the Saints would be 6th at best.