PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Buckley drama?

Remi Moses
27-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Gotta be the most over exposed footy story i've ever heard. I only hope there's a mini-series. Gotta be the most untenable coaching situation with Bucks behind Mick in the coaches box. I'd hasten to say Mick would like Buks in front of him!:eek:

AndrewP6
27-07-2009, 10:23 PM
What I'm really thinking is "Couldn't give a toss"...but to keep the tone of things high, I'll say: This one is bound to end in tears.

mighty_west
27-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Gotta be the most over exposed footy story i've ever heard. I only hope there's a mini-series. Gotta be the most untenable coaching situation with Bucks behind Mick in the coaches box. I'd hasten to say Mick would like Buks in front of him!:eek:

Even more-over exposed than Ben Cousin's Bogus Adventure? :p

Sockeye Salmon
27-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I couldn't believe channel 9 news lead story was about Buckley becoming a Collingwood assistant coach.

Talk about a slow news day.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I reckon Buckley will coach Collingwood and no one else. I hope he trips over his own ego as a coach.
If I was Malthouse I would tell Eddie to stick it, he could get a good job elsewhere.

BulldogBelle
27-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Gotta be the most over exposed footy story i've ever heard.

The Michael Voss saga carried on for an eternity also before he took the Lions job. Never know, maybe Buckley is more interested in Richmond.

Sedat
27-07-2009, 10:55 PM
His judgement stunk when assessing future options as a player, so why should things change now that he is assessing coaching options.

LostDoggy
27-07-2009, 10:59 PM
His judgement stunk when assessing future options as a player, so why should things change now that he is assessing coaching options.

Spot on.

The Adelaide Connection
27-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Ha ha "leaving Brisbane for Collingwood to play finals and get a premiership". Gold.

Sedat
27-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Ha ha "leaving Brisbane for Collingwood to play finals and get a premiership". Gold.
At the end of his first season in the AFL, Buckley had 3 choices: stay at Brisbane, go to North (who he had verbally agreed to terms with but piked out on the deal at the last minute) or go to Collingwood. So he missed out on an aggregate of 5 premierships for the privelige of joining the filth. It is well known that North players (led by Archer) gave it to him mercilessly during the 90's whenever North regularly beat up on Collingwood.

The Adelaide Connection
27-07-2009, 11:36 PM
At the end of his first season in the AFL, Buckley had 3 choices: stay at Brisbane, go to North (who he had verbally agreed to terms with but piked out on the deal at the last minute) or go to Collingwood. So he missed out on an aggregate of 5 premierships for the privelige of joining the filth. It is well known that North players (led by Archer) gave it to him mercilessly during the 90's whenever North regularly beat up on Collingwood.

Didn't know about the North deal. That just makes it even funnier.

In all seriousness I think he should have the balls to step away from Collingwood and take on the considerable challenge of North Melbourne or Richmond. Personally I would like to see him go to North as it may give their memberships a shot in the arm and you would think that they are the most financially fragile at the moment.

But I suspected he would stay at Collingwood from the start and I am guessing that option is paying about $1.03

The Adelaide Connection
27-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Afterthought: I wonder if Port Adelaide considered bringing home one of their former sons? Maybe not because of the finance situation.

Swoop
28-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I believe the Buckley to North Melbourne situation was much more than a verbal agreement, although it was against the rules it was common knowledge that papers were signed and money was exchanged. At the time it was the worst kept secret in football and was even investigated by the AFL however because the deal was against the rules in the first place it wasn't really possible to enforce the contract. Needless to say North were furious with the outcome and always used this as motivation whenever they came up against Buckley. In Buckley's defence I think he was a young kid who got some poor advice mainly from his father.

Sockeye Salmon
28-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I believe the Buckley to North Melbourne situation was much more than a verbal agreement, although it was against the rules it was common knowledge that papers were signed and money was exchanged. At the time it was the worst kept secret in football and was even investigated by the AFL however because the deal was against the rules in the first place it wasn't really possible to enforce the contract. Needless to say North were furious with the outcome and always used this as motivation whenever they came up against Buckley. In Buckley's defence I think he was a young kid who got some poor advice mainly from his father.

I think the issue was that Buckley signed an old form 4 with North Melbourne but under the 'Developing Market" rules that applied to the NT at the time, form 4's weren't binding.

Go_Dogs
28-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I think the issue was that Buckley signed an old form 4 with North Melbourne but under the 'Developing Market" rules that applied to the NT at the time, form 4's weren't binding.

My understanding was the form was binding at the time, but subsequently the forms contents changed, and the completed form was no longer binding. I did read this in the HS though - so who knows.

aker39
28-07-2009, 12:55 PM
For those that haven't heard, both Malthouse and Buckley have signed at Collingwood for 5 years.

Malthouse - 2010 to 2011 as coach and 2012 to 2014 as director of coaching.

Buckley - 2010 to 2011 as assistant coach and 2012 to 2014 as head coach.

It can't work.

If Collingwood finish bottom 4 next year, who do you think will be coaching in 2010.

If Collingwood will the flag in 2010, who do you think will be coaching in 2011.

Collingwood now have their cake and are eating it. Lets all sit back and watch them choke on it.

LostDoggy
28-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Collingwood now have their cake and are eating it. Lets all sit back and watch them choke on it.

It's a pretty ordinary cake in any case.. how many premierships have either of these guys won in the last ten years again? The most over-rated list is now joined in the coaching ranks by the most over-rated player of his generation.

A lot of fuss over a lot of nothing.

Topdog
28-07-2009, 02:48 PM
What a brilliant understanding they have. Bound to implode all over themselves. Buckley is a moron for not accepting at least an assistant coaching position at another club.

Remi Moses
28-07-2009, 04:04 PM
For those that haven't heard, both Malthouse and Buckley have signed at Collingwood for 5 years.

Malthouse - 2010 to 2011 as coach and 2012 to 2014 as director of coaching.

Buckley - 2010 to 2011 as assistant coach and 2012 to 2014 as head coach.

It can't work.

If Collingwood finish bottom 4 next year, who do you think will be coaching in 2010.

If Collingwood will the flag in 2010, who do you think will be coaching in 2011.

Just got a call from the EPL looking at legal action for copyright . Seriously find it hard to fathom that Mick could agree to that.Spot on Eddie just can't let go of both,he's to close to both parties

Remi Moses
28-07-2009, 04:07 PM
What a brilliant understanding they have. Bound to implode all over themselves. Buckley is a moron for not accepting at least an assistant coaching position at another club.

Dead right if mcguire had any balls he'd give Mick another 2 years and assume that Buckley would take an assistants job somewhere else and return to Hypewood in two years!

bornadog
28-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Well what a great job for Mick.

Gets to coach Collingwood for two more years, probably on $1 million per year, then when he is in his late 50's, sits back as the director of Footy. How perfect can you get for a role like that. Sheedy should have done the same but his ego is too big.

As for Buckley - is assured of the top job he always wanted in two years time.

For supporters, they know who the coach will be for the next 5 years and the apprentice will be well and truely groomed.

For the rest of us - we just sit back and see if it works or not.

aker39
28-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Well what a great job for Mick.

Gets to coach Collingwood for two more years, probably on $1 million per year, then when he is in his late 50's, sits back as the director of Footy. How perfect can you get for a role like that. Sheedy should have done the same but his ego is too big.

As for Buckley - is assured of the top job he always wanted in two years time.

For supporters, they know who the coach will be for the next 5 years and the apprentice will be well and truely groomed.

For the rest of us - we just sit back and see if it works or not.

It's not the last 3 years of the contract that will be the problem, it will be the 1st 2 years.

Sedat
28-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Good to see the Pies have arseholed one favourite son, Gavin Brown, for another. Will obviously be a major clean-out of current Collingwood assistant coaches next season as they are all clearly wasting their time hanging around while the car keys are given to Buckley in 2 years.

So many large-scale egos involved in this decision.

Topdog
28-07-2009, 05:54 PM
It's not the last 3 years of the contract that will be the problem, it will be the 1st 2 years.

The best part will be if Buckley is a dud coach

bulldog
28-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Good Luck Bucks hope it goes well I have had the pleasure to have meet Bucks last year true gentleman great footy brain would have loved to see him coach the Dogs.

bornadog
28-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Good to see the Pies have arseholed one favourite son, Gavin Brown, for another. Will obviously be a major clean-out of current Collingwood assistant coaches next season as they are all clearly wasting their time hanging around while the car keys are given to Buckley in 2 years.

So many large-scale egos involved in this decision.

Good point, as they know they can't coach the club for 5 years now.

LostDoggy
28-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Not looking forward to see the lovefest picture on the front page of the Herald Sun tomorrow.

Got a feeling I will hear a song in my head

"When 2 birds...suddenly appear. Everytime you a neaaaaar"

Looking forward to all the jokes to follow from the Media Circus that is the Collingwood Football club.

Remi Moses
28-07-2009, 10:09 PM
heard it all now eddie tonight quoting JFK ,Man landing on the moon. Fair dinkum Eddie get over yourself:eek::eek:

BulldogBelle
28-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Malthouse is a dead man walking

Buckley (Brutus) waiting in the shaddows

Malthouse makes one slip and he is gone, King Eddie knows this as well

But with Collingwood doing quite well this year I wouldnt expect a major slip, but Buckley will always be waiting no matter what

Two bulls in a china shop if you ask me. Buckley better know and have respect for his place.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 09:00 AM

The contract is good news for us non Collingwood fans as they have basically admitted that they will not win the premiership under Malthouse.

I would have thought Malthouse was smarter than than to sign into this (2 years coach/3 years director) sort of arrangement.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=alexxx;100592]Not looking forward to see the lovefest picture on the front page of the Herald Sun tomorrow.

How did you enjoy the love fest Alexxx?! Front AND back pages, talk about an over reaction. Honestly, do they think the rest of us actually care?

By the way, when do you think Brad Johnson will get a mention in the Herald Sun? Rumour has it he may break Chris Grants games record this weekend. :rolleyes: