PDA

View Full Version : Tim Callan?

GVGjr
28-07-2009, 10:35 PM
At a guess I'd think Tim Callan would be out of contract at the end of the season and given that he seems to be well behind players like Harbrow and maybe Addison in the selectors mind would it be worth offering TC another contract?

I think he has been a consistent performer for Williamstown and probably unlucky not to have played more senior games for the Dogs but unless he is still right in the mix I wonder if he would be in the firing line at the end of the season?

I'm certainly not against keeping players on for depth purposes but with Easton Wood being a somewhat similar player in size and the position he plays, keeping Callan on might be counter productive with his development.

Let me know what you think? Is he worth another 2 year contract?

LostDoggy
28-07-2009, 10:38 PM
In my opinion he hadn't really set a foot, except for the couple of costly mistakes against Geelong this year.

I still think he is very viable to the football club.

azabob
28-07-2009, 10:44 PM
It is an interesting question you pose GVGjr.

At the start of the year I remember the debate was can Callan and Addison both fit in our best 22.
I think Callan is unlucky as he would've played against North in round 2 bar injury and Harbrow took his chance playing as a small defender and hasn't looked back.
Personally I think he is a very smart footballer, who follows instruction and goes in hard, understands and knows his limitations and makes the right decision. But he is a yard slow.
I would like to keep him on the list but as you said it will be at the expensive of youth.

Its a tough one, in the long term is Easton Wood a small defender or a midfielder?

Personally I think they should keep him.

GVGjr
28-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm very surprised that he hasn't been selected over the last couple of weeks and perhaps I'm reading a bit more into it than I should, but it sounds like he has slipped back a bit in the selectors minds.
For a player that has battled injuries throughout his career his non selection when fit must be a set back for him.

azabob
28-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm very surprised that he hasn't been selected over the last couple of weeks and perhaps I'm reading a bit more into it than I should, but it sounds like he has slipped back a bit in the selectors minds.
For a player that has battled injuries throughout his career his non selection when fit must be a set back for him.

Especially when Gilbee pulled out and Addison replaced him and not Callan.
Also with Harbrow still being very young he may have some more ups and downs so Callan may be needed as a back up.

GVGjr
28-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Also with Harbrow still being very young he may have some more ups and downs so Callan may be needed as a back up.

Stack and Reid were also given opportunities and I think O'Keefe might get the nod this week. If Callan isn't selected it can't bode well for him.

The Doctor
28-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Is he worth another 2 year contract?

yes.

boydogs
28-07-2009, 11:26 PM

This suprised me, Callan seemed to be getting better reviews from the Willy watchers than Addison. I'm not sure this selection was vindicated however and we may see a switch in the next few weeks which would put any doubt on us keeping him to rest for mine

We could possibly trade him but I don't think we need to cut that deep in delistings

Dry Rot
28-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Do we need all of Picken, Addison and Callan on our list? Similar players in a sense.

bornadog
28-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Do we need all of Picken, Addison and Callan on our list? Similar players in a sense.

I think we do as they can all play different roles.

Picken - tagger or up forward

Callen - back pocket

Addison - back line or work his way to midfield.

Mantis
29-07-2009, 08:57 AM
This suprised me, Callan seemed to be getting better reviews from the Willy watchers than Addison. I'm not sure this selection was vindicated however and we may see a switch in the next few weeks which would put any doubt on us keeping him to rest for mine

We could possibly trade him but I don't think we need to cut that deep in delistings

Tim crossed over to our club from Geelong with the hope that he would play regular AFL footy. At present that hasn't happened and I would think that he would be getting a little peeved that he can't break into our team.

Come the end of the year I would think that if he hasn't found a way back into our best 22 he may look to find a club (Sydney) who could offer him regular senior footy.

Agree that he probably should have come into the team instead of Addison who besides a nice long goal had very little impact on the game.

Desipura
29-07-2009, 09:47 AM
He is what they call the classic list clogger. In that he has not got much improvement in him however is on our list for depth. Not many mature aged players regularly running around in the seconds.
The coached will have to decide whether to replace him with a young untried recruit or keep him for insurance.
If it was between Addison and him, I would go Addison as he has more improvement left in him having come from NSW and starting footy later than Callan. Not to mention Addison is only 21yo as opposed to Callan who is 25yo.

Topdog
29-07-2009, 09:51 AM
If he is out of contract I wouldn't re-sign him.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I really like Tim. But I can't see him adding too much to the team that other players couldn't add. He hasn't done anything this year and we've done alright to date. On that basis I would be thinking very hard about his position on the list. Perhaps a team like Sydney could use him to more effect than what we could and with a Hall trade on the cards, perhaps players like Callan and Skipper could be in the mix if Sydney were interested.

Mofra
29-07-2009, 10:40 AM
We're assuming Harbrow will kick on in the BP role. He may still end up as the defensive small forward we need, in which case Callan would be next in line (Addison can't play BP as per Eade's comments).

1eyedog
29-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Similar size and strength but different roles as stated by bornadog. If WOOF posters get their way with delistings we'll have half of Willy playing next season.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 11:10 AM
We have a number of players doomed to be delisted already - we can't get rid of half the list. But that is all that will save him.

Worthwhile insurance but for mine he has no long term potential as a regular AFL player.

Mantis
29-07-2009, 11:28 AM
We have a number of players doomed to be delisted already - we can't get rid of half the list. But that is all that will save him.

Worthwhile insurance but for mine he has no long term potential as a regular AFL player.

I think most of us are in agreeance of this, but if he believes otherwise he may want to try to be off loaded to a lesser team (if any are interested)

Sedat
29-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Rocket absolutely loves his fanaticism and hardness at the contest so I would imagine that will be enough to get him another contract. He just needs to find a spot in the team that will best play to his strengths and add value to the team - defensive small forward might be that position.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I hope he gets a gig this week and goes ok - I'm a fan of what he offers us and thought he was good last year. Once his confidence was up he ran the ball a bit and his skills, whilst not a feature, are acceptable.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Rocket absolutely loves his fanaticism and hardness at the contest so I would imagine that will be enough to get him another contract. He just needs to find a spot in the team that will best play to his strengths and add value to the team - defensive small forward might be that position.

He may do alright in that role but it's not what we need.

We deperately require some magic down forward. Note when the likes of Medhurst, Milne, Betts or lately Jurrah get the ball there is a collective drawing of breath from the crowd in expectation of something special happening. It's the same when Cooney or Griffen get the ball on the run out of the centre.

We desperately require somebody with real footy smarts who demands a close checking backman not willing to zone off for fear of being made a fool.

I was hopeful either Hill or Stack could fill that post but Hill has fallen off the pace and the one game of Stack this year showed him to way short of the standard

Sedat
29-07-2009, 12:54 PM
He may do alright in that role but it's not what we need.

We deperately require some magic down forward.
We need both IMO. Hawks are a great example. They have Rioli to do the magic but just as importantly they have Michael Osborne to do the grunt work. Let's not forget Osborne kicked 4 goals against us in the finlas last season.

Saints also have a combination of McQualter/Eddy/Dempster doing the grunt work and Milne doing the flash.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 01:14 PM
We need both IMO. Hawks are a great example. They have Rioli to do the magic but just as importantly they have Michael Osborne to do the grunt work. Let's not forget Osborne kicked 4 goals against us in the finlas last season.

Saints also have a combination of McQualter/Eddy/Dempster doing the grunt work and Milne doing the flash.

Agree we need both. Hahn does that better than most as can Welsh (when he remembers to note here he is playing) and Minson when he is there.

As for a Rioli (who should have been mentioned first in my previous post) we have nothing like him.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 01:15 PM
He paid dearly for his bad game against the cats but I think they should keep him as he would be a great back up if injuries occur.Recently all our emergencies have been backman any experiments to try someone like Everitt up forward?