PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Round 18 vs Fremantle

mjp
29-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Match Preview Round 18
Western Bulldogs vs Fremantle
Saturday 7:10pm, Docklands

Last time they met:.
It was WAY back in round 1 this year (on a sunny afternoon at Subiaco). We ran away to win 25.7 (157) to 13.16 (94)…but it really was a lot tighter than that – Freo came hard at us in the 3rd (5.4 to 4 straight) before we ran away with it late.
Joe the Goose (aka Mitch Hahn) kicked 5 for us, Griff got 3 – all in the first 15 minutes I think – as did Eagle and Gilbee. Peake – who usually struggles to hit water falling out of a boat – somehow managed 3 for the Dockers.
Duffield – in a sign of things to come – was named Fremantle’s best. He has had a terrific season. Just for something different, Matty Boyd was sensational for our mob.
Murphy missed for us, Hayden missed for them.

Form Guide:
Freo – 15th – 4 wins

Western Bulldogs – 3rd 11 wins
Despite the variance in ladder position, the Dockers are coming off a win (in a woeful game) whilst the Dogs hope to bounce back from a very disappointing effort vs the Saints.

The Selection Table
Dockers:

Well, Pavlich and Sandilands came back into the side last week – so that is good! Further to that, I suspect that the very good young forward Chris Mayne will return for his first AFL game of the season this weekend…his local form has been very good for a couple of weeks as he returns from (what I think was) a groin issue.
The amazing thing about Fremantle is that they currently have 10 first year players in the side – which is why I don’t think there is any hope for Marcus Drum at that footy club.
Van Berlo, Ruffles, Ballantyne, Broughton, Suban, Hill, Walters…I forget the rest. But it is truly incredible that they are doing this. I guess that is what happens when you turn over 14 players in one season, but it is still staggering to me that this is happened at what is supposed to be elite level sport.
That said, the word from the source of truth (Dockerland.com) is that Ruffles is injured and will miss – shame as he kicked 2 last weekend and looked alright – and that a few others including Duffield may also miss with injury. Solomon has a tribunal appearance scheduled, so could miss as well. On the list to come in would be the aforementioned Mayne, Byron Schammer (a worse kick than Peake if that is possible), Luke Pratt (fast-ish winger/half-back type from Swans), Michael Walters (skittish small forward type who is nowhere near ready for AFL footy) and Daniel Gilmore (who never was ready for AFL footy and I cannot believe would get a game).
Dogs:

Higgins will definitely miss. Murphy will probably miss. Both of these things make me sad as I enjoy watching them play (and would whatever colors they wore – just pleased they wear rwb). Despite (besides??) the usual calls for Eagleton’s head, I am not sure there will be any other outs this week. I assume Gilbee will be back – other candidates to come in include Callan, Stack and Everitt…I would go for Stack as he is a bit different to the others already in the mix. There may be calls for O’Keefe as well but unless he has learnt to run since I last saw him I would put that in the ‘Unlikely – Glacier’ list of players.

Key Match-ups
Lake vs Pavlich – I really hope this happens, but have a feeling Pavlich will play in the midfield (again). He is a terrific forward though – good enough on the lead to worry Brian yet also strong enough to make sure those body on body contests aren’t completely one-sided.
Hudson vs Sandilands – Sandilands is a dead-set monster. Hudson wont outruck him – he wont – but his willingness to fight for the footy on the deck will be the great equalizer.

Cooney vs Schammer – Schammer has been effective in a couple of ‘outside stopper’ roles this year and Freo welcome him back just in time to take on possibly the most explosive midfielder in the comp – Adam Cooney. The scenario is pretty simple for the Dogs – to be successful, we need Coon running and bouncing his way down the ground – this hasn’t happened all season and we need to find a way to get it going.

Hill vs Eagleton – I think Hill is Eagleton reincarnate (which makes my Docker’s loving brother weep) and it will be interesting to see if this works out. Hill is quicker than the Eagle now – and probably kicks more effectively – but rarely seems to realize who is opponent is and could be badly burned by the bald one.
Harbrow vs Haydn Ballantyne – I am looking forward to this as well. Ballantyne is quick – really, really quick – and coming off the Milne experiment Harbrow needs to get straight ‘back on the horse’ so to speak. Ballantyne will quickly rocket up the charts of ‘most hated opposition players’ (he is mouthy, cheeky, small and kicks goals) in the next couple of years and despite only having played 3 or 4 games is a couple of years older than Harbrow…from a Dogs perspective I wonder if he gets ‘done’ this week whether he loses the back-pocket role for the rest of the year???

Where it will be won or lost:

Midfield. If Freo get enough of the footy to Pavlich, he will kick goals. If they struggle to do this and he has to go and actually play in the midfield, the game is gone and we will waltz to victory.
Mitch Hahn always kicks a bag against the dud sides (yes Essendon, I am looking at you) and he will be a tough ask for someone like Broughton to handle.

The Summary

Freo are coming off a hard fought win in the Derby – the only game they actually seem to care about. They will have celebrated long and hard, they have nothing to play for and they are completely undermanned. I cannot see how they win this game.
Their only hope is to take advantage of Sandilands dominance, get the ball forward through Haselby, Duffield and Mundy, and hope that Pavlich and Ballantyne can kick them a score. I don’t see it. They only managed 13 Points against Adelaide and 28 vs the Saints – I don’t see more than 50 being kicked vs us.
The Dogs are too experienced – and at this point simply too good – to lose this match. The betting line in Melbourne should be 49.5 points and I would bet the over.

Scraggers
29-07-2009, 03:27 AM
Nice preview MJP ... I agree with you that Freo will struggle to score

Fremantle have recruited well this year, with Hill, Suban, Van Berlo et al. but with limited game experience and coming up against a quick ball moving Bulldog outfit, I really don't see them giving us too much trouble

Bulldogs by 12 goals

Bulldog Revolution
29-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Nice one MJP

Is Duffield the guy with the laser like foot who plays as a rebounding defender?

I haven't seen them since they played Hawthorn on a Friday night earlier in the season

Mantis
29-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Excellent preview mjp.

Some excellent insight into a side most of us don't get to watch all that often (mostly by choice). I look forward to seeing most of their players live for the first time and get an idea to where Fremantle can head with these players.

Personally I think this game comes at the worst possible time for us. Coming off a poor performance and with quite a few of our players out of form playing against a terribly under-manned team will not answer the questions we need answered. Yeah quite a few of our lesser likes will probably run into some nice form, but when push comes to shove against quality opponents they will probably let us down again.

At the very least I hope we have a good win to help celebrate Johnno's record breaking game.

Sedat
29-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Fantastic preview, mjp.

I believe young Ruffles tore his ACL late in the piece against the Eagles and will be out for the next 12 months.

Because of the priority pick issue, the match-ups could end up being anything - they'll probably have Sandilands and Pavlich spending most of the time on the bench :)

Agree Mantis, the next 2 weeks are essentially meaningless in relation to preparing us for the cut and thrust of up-coming finals intensity.

Scraggers
29-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Fantastic preview, mjp.

I believe young Ruffles tore his ACL late in the piece against the Eagles and will be out for the next 12 months.

Because of the priority pick issue, the match-ups could end up being anything - they'll probably have Sandilands and Pavlich spending most of the time on the bench :)

Agree Mantis, the next 2 weeks are essentially meaningless in relation to preparing us for the cut and thrust of up-coming finals intensity.

I disagree that they are meaningless ... to win and win well over the next two weeks, whilst the teams around us play each other (and potentially lose) is going to give us great confidence as we head into the last three games before the finals.

Knowing that we are one (or two) game/s clear of our opposition and a cetainty to play finals footy will be a great boost for us.

Conversely, if we were to struggle or (heaven forbid) lose ... we will lose all confidence and only be making up numbers in the finals.

So as to preparing us for the cut and thrust of up-coming finals intensity ... playing with confidence will go a long way

Desipura
29-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Fantastic preview, mjp.

Meaningless??? You are kidding right? If say Everitt comes in and plays forward and plays well in the next 2 weeks, this will be great for his confidence as well as the teams. It will give us an added dimension to our forward line. Also guys like Welsh & Hill have an opportunity to find some form, all very important in the lead up to the finals.

aker39
29-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Meaningless??? Also guys like Welsh & Hill have an opportunity to find some form, all very important in the lead up to the finals.

Hill needs to find form against Brisbane, Geelong & Collingwood in the last 3 weeks of the season, not in the practice matches in the next 2 weeks.

Mofra
29-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Hill needs to find form against Brisbane, Geelong & Collingwood in the last 3 weeks of the season, not in the practice matches in the next 2 weeks.
I think in the case of Hill, given his past month, finding form against the Mirboo North under 12s would be of help.

aker39
29-07-2009, 02:20 PM
I think in the case of Hill, given his past month, finding form against the Mirboo North under 12s would be of help.

The past month has been against quality opposition.

We have seen him play well against Mirboo North before. That form counts for nothing.

Sedat
29-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Meaningless??? You are kidding right? If say Everitt comes in and plays forward and plays well in the next 2 weeks, this will be great for his confidence as well as the teams. It will give us an added dimension to our forward line. Also guys like Welsh & Hill have an opportunity to find some form, all very important in the lead up to the finals.
I was being a little flippant with the term 'meaningless' but the reality is if Freo and (especially) West Coast aren't going to go hammer and tong (and both being on 4 wins, neither team will be going all out to win again for the season), then we really won't learn a hell of a lot from these matches. We might be able to do some fine-tuning on our game plan but even then it won't be under anything resembling finals-like intensity.

There are 8 precious premiership points at stake, which obviously adds meaning to these matches from a ladder position perspective. But we will know a hell of a lot more about our team, especially what they have learnt from the St Kilda and (to a lesser extent) Collingwood matches, when we front up to Brisbane at the Gabba, Geelong and Collingwood to round out our H&A season.

bornadog
30-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Excellent summary of the Freo team MJP.

Amazing they have ten first year players in the team, which means a huge rebuild for coming years. The dogs must not take this one lightly and really go in hard and ensure a big win.

aker39
30-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Amazing they have ten first year players in the team,

Don't want to hijack this thread, but even more amazing is the fact that the Eagles couldn't beat them. They are a pack of cheats.

Scraggers
30-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Don't want to hijack this thread, but even more amazing is the fact that the Eagles couldn't beat them. They are a pack of cheats.

Who ... Eagles or Dockers ?

aker39
30-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Who ... Eagles or Dockers ?

Eagles

The Pie Man
30-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Eagles

When you look at how young Freo's list is/was last weekend, it's hard not to think this - woeful kicking for goal by the Weags, I almost had that game as my lock of the round.

Having said that, the Freo youngens are playing ok - but you get the sense a celebratory 'party' like atmosphere will emerge in what is a rare Saturday afternoon venture to Docklands. I hope we don't get caught up in it and take the foot off

1eyedog
30-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Excellent preview mjp.

Some excellent insight into a side most of us don't get to watch all that often (mostly by choice). I look forward to seeing most of their players live for the first time and get an idea to where Fremantle can head with these players.

Personally I think this game comes at the worst possible time for us. Coming off a poor performance and with quite a few of our players out of form playing against a terribly under-manned team will not answer the questions we need answered. Yeah quite a few of our lesser likes will probably run into some nice form, but when push comes to shove against quality opponents they will probably let us down again.

At the very least I hope we have a good win to help celebrate Johnno's record breaking game.

On the contrary I think it is an excellent time to back up against Freo and the Eagles. Our outs in Gia, Welsh, Higgins and Murphy are huge in terms of our forward line structure and regardless of how many questions we all have it is imperative that we win the next 2 games otherwise top 4 goes out the door (not rhyming on purpose).

With such big outs I would have thought that it was a godsend that we have the two W.A teams to come at Docklands. We will have plenty of opportunity to have our questions answered against Brisbane, Geelong and Collingwood in the run to the finals, hopefully with Higgins, Murphy and a rejuvenated Welsh back in the side (maybe Gia by round 21-22). I think those questions can be answered between rounds 20-22. At the end of the home and away season, we'll know how we will stack up against the favourites as we enter the finals.

Mantis
30-07-2009, 03:13 PM
On the contrary I think it is an excellent time to back up against Freo and the Eagles. Our outs in Gia, Welsh, Higgins and Murphy are huge in terms of our forward line structure and regardless of how many questions we all have it is imperative that we win the next 2 games otherwise top 4 goes out the door (not rhyming on purpose).

With such big outs I would have thought that it was a godsend that we have the two W.A teams to come at Docklands. We will have plenty of opportunity to have our questions answered against Brisbane, Geelong and Collingwood in the run to the finals, hopefully with Higgins, Murphy and a rejuvenated Welsh back in the side (maybe Gia by round 21-22). I think those questions can be answered between rounds 20-22. At the end of the home and away season, we'll know how we will stack up against the favourites as we enter the finals.

Personally if we wait til rd 20-22 to find out how we match up against the other contenders it might be to late to make any adjustments. I and others have seen enough over the past month to show that some players continue to let us down against the good teams and in pressure situations.

Over the next 2 weeks one would think we would have a couple of very comforatble wins and the players who were under pressure to perform will have had 2 confidence boosting hit outs against a bunch of no-names and everything will be rosy once again.

Personally I would like to see how an under-strength Bulldogs team went against a good team to show which of our 'fringe' players could rise to the challenge.

LostDoggy
30-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Personally if we wait til rd 20-22 to find out how we match up against the other contenders it might be to late to make any adjustments. I and others have seen enough over the past month to show that some players continue to let us down against the good teams and in pressure situations.

Over the next 2 weeks one would think we would have a couple of very comforatble wins and the players who were under pressure to perform will have had 2 confidence boosting hit outs against a bunch of no-names and everything will be rosy once again.

Personally I would like to see how an under-strength Bulldogs team went against a good team to show which of our 'fringe' players could rise to the challenge.

That would be nice but we don't have that option.

Whilst we are playing against lowly sides we still have the opportunity to see how one or two players handle themselves in higher company.

Poise, speed and decision-making are skills which can be assessed against good or poor sides

If we don't give them a go we will never know. At least this will give us some basis on which to make an asessment. It is better than nothing.

Mantis
30-07-2009, 04:07 PM
That would be nice but we don't have that option.

Whilst we are playing against lowly sides we still have the opportunity to see how one or two players handle themselves in higher company.

Poise, speed and decision-making are skills which can be assessed against good or poor sides

If we don't give them a go we will never know. At least this will give us some basis on which to make an asessment. It is better than nothing.

The points you make are all valid.

Looking at the big picture I hope that we are able to give these one or two players the opportunity to play against some of the better teams in rd's 20 to 22. I hope at this point in time when Higgins, Welsh & Murphy are coming back into the team we allow players such as Johnson, Aker & others the luxury of a week off to ready their bodies for a finals campaign + take the opportunity to give the new guys a run against some quality opposition.

I would hate to see for instance Stack + O'Keefe played for the next 2 games and then dropped straight away for the return of our injured players. It would be great to see them in action against a Brisbane or a Geelong to see if they can lift their game to another level, a level some of our other 'fringe' players rarely lift theirs to (agaisnt quality opposition).

1eyedog
30-07-2009, 08:31 PM
The points you make are all valid.

Looking at the big picture I hope that we are able to give these one or two players the opportunity to play against some of the better teams in rd's 20 to 22. I hope at this point in time when Higgins, Welsh & Murphy are coming back into the team we allow players such as Johnson, Aker & others the luxury of a week off to ready their bodies for a finals campaign + take the opportunity to give the new guys a run against some quality opposition.

I would hate to see for instance Stack + O'Keefe played for the next 2 games and then dropped straight away for the return of our injured players. It would be great to see them in action against a Brisbane or a Geelong to see if they can lift their game to another level, a level some of our other 'fringe' players rarely lift theirs to (agaisnt quality opposition).

This is almost certainly what will happen unfortunately. I don't think we will have the luxury of resting Johnson or Aker between rounds 20-22, the opposition is too strong and a fight for a top 4 spot will be heated. If they need a rest make it next week. It's all well and good to be talking about questions and seeing how we go when the heat is on again but if we cannot consolidate a top 4 spot we have very little hope of making any inroads into the finals this year. I cannot see GOK, Stack, Grant, Skipper or anyone else who has played at Willi except for Everitt and Callan to come in or stay in from now.

1eyedog
30-07-2009, 08:35 PM

I will not be thinking everything is all rosy again following wins against Freo and the Eagles and I hope the football dept all the way from the president down to the coach thinks the same thing. I understand what you mean in the sense that if Hill and Eagleton and Ward for instance get up and running against these lesser sides that they will not be tested under pressure and will likely be left in the side as liabilities come round 20, but I cannot see any Willi player making any difference unless Everitt decides to turn something on from now or we bring in Callan for hardness and pressure. Sorry I don't know how to do all the fancy quote cut and paste stuff.

Big_Willba
30-07-2009, 08:40 PM
This is almost certainly what will happen unfortunately. I don't think we will have the luxury of resting Johnson or Aker between rounds 20-22, the opposition is too strong and a fight for a top 4 spot will be heated. If they need a rest make it next week. It's all well and good to be talking about questions and seeing how we go when the heat is on again but if we cannot consolidate a top 4 spot we have very little hope of making any inroads into the finals this year. I cannot see GOK, Stack, Grant, Skipper or anyone else who has played at Willi except for Everitt and Callan to come in or stay in from now.

i agree.

would only play the likes of GOK, Stack, Grant for the experience and the knowledge of the workrate needed at that level to take into the coming pre-eason.

hope everitt takes his oppurtunity.

1eyedog
30-07-2009, 08:44 PM
i agree.

would only play the likes of GOK, Stack, Grant for the experience and the knowledge of the workrate needed at that level to take into the coming pre-eason.

hope everitt takes his oppurtunity.

A big likewise. If he can find form he will be very handy for us.

Big_Willba
30-07-2009, 08:48 PM
A big likewise. If he can find form he will be very handy for us.

what are your thoughts. everitt as a running halfback or attacking wingman?? would personally love to see him on the wing with his size and running capability. i think he will be used as the attacking wingman this week with a few forwards out.

1eyedog
30-07-2009, 09:06 PM
what are your thoughts. everitt as a running halfback or attacking wingman?? would personally love to see him on the wing with his size and running capability. i think he will be used as the attacking wingman this week with a few forwards out.

It is an interesting one. With our back six fairly stable and the fact that he has struggled on KPP down there it may be a good option. I like him as an attacking wingman but with such a decimated forward line I reckon he might get a shot up forward as well. I guess I am really amazed that Grant or Skipper didn't get a run this week.

Mantis
30-07-2009, 09:09 PM
I will not be thinking everything is all rosy again following wins against Freo and the Eagles and I hope the football dept all the way from the president down to the coach thinks the same thing. I understand what you mean in the sense that if Hill and Eagleton and Ward for instance get up and running against these lesser sides that they will not be tested under pressure and will likely be left in the side as liabilities come round 20, but I cannot see any Willi player making any difference unless Everitt decides to turn something on from now or we bring in Callan for hardness and pressure. Sorry I don't know how to do all the fancy quote cut and paste stuff.

But really we wouldn't know.

The 'Willi' players really haven't had the chance to show us if they will sink or swim. It is assumed they will fail and they probably will, but I still think they deserve an opportunity especially seeing as though some of our 'best 22' continue to let us down under the pump yet it seems their position in the team is never challeneged. And if it is challenged nothing seems to get done about it, it's just hoped the problem gets hidden away.

1eyedog
30-07-2009, 09:12 PM
But really we wouldn't know.

The 'Willi' players really haven't had the chance to show us if they will sink or swim. It is assumed they will fail and they probably will, but I still think they deserve an opportunity especially seeing as though some of our 'best 22' continue to let us down under the pump yet it seems their position in the team is never challeneged. And if it is challenged nothing seems to get done about it, it's just hoped the problem gets hidden away.

Agree with all of this. It guess that brings us back to the point that they should have been given a run well before this, especially with a few under performing players over the past 4 weeks.

Big_Willba
30-07-2009, 09:15 PM
look at it this way...

Theres an oppurtunity for a young player to come into the side, take there oppurtunity, have an impact in the finals and establish their career for the future. but we won't know because eade fails to drop players on form. which is mind blowing for any code or level of football.

BulldogBelle
30-07-2009, 11:55 PM
look at it this way...

Theres an oppurtunity for a young player to come into the side, take there oppurtunity, have an impact in the finals and establish their career for the future. but we won't know because eade fails to drop players on form. which is mind blowing for any code or level of football.

With Gia, Murph, Welsh and Higgins all due back in the side those opportunities for the VFL players will dry up by finals time...we will be picking back on experience + reputation rather than form/fitness with those 4