PDA

View Full Version : Welsh out!

Desipura
29-07-2009, 02:37 PM
From AFL website
THE WESTERN Bulldogs will make at least three changes to their side this week with Scott Welsh the latest to join the casualty list.

Welsh has been troubled by an ankle injury for the past few weeks and has already been ruled out of Saturday's clash with Fremantle by coach Rodney Eade.

The former Adelaide forward will join Shaun Higgins and Robert Murphy on the sidelines after the pair picked up hamstring injuries in Saturday night's loss to St Kilda.

Lindsay Gilbee will return after withdrawing from the side last week with personal reasons and Eade said there were a handful of players that could fill the other two spots.

"It will give another couple of guys some opportunities," Eade said on Wednesday.

"Brennan Stack, Andrejs Everitt, Tim Callan, Guy O'Keefe and Wayde Skipper, those sorts of guys will be in the mix.

"Jarrad Grant will be in the mix too, he was very disappointing on the weekend, which was unfortunate, but his form three weeks ago was okay for Willy."
Grant although not deserving of a game is the only one of the above listed that can play deep unless they experiment with Skipper playing there.

G-Mo77
29-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Honestly I'd love to see Skipper get a shot at the Seniors again. His form in the VFL has been solid all season and really deserves a chance.

comrade
29-07-2009, 03:03 PM
"Jarrad Grant will be in the mix too, he was very disappointing on the weekend, which was unfortunate, but his form three weeks ago was okay for Willy."

That'll do wonders for his confidence...

Desipura
29-07-2009, 03:04 PM
That'll do wonders for his confidence...
I think we will be too top heavy with Skip playing, what do you think Comrade? Play Grant at full forward!

bulldogtragic
29-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd like a look at Stack and Everitt before the finals to see where hey are at. GOK deserves a run. If Welsh is expected to be out a while, perhaps Grant needs another run too?

Mofra
29-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Surely O'Keefe has to get his chance - he gets possies at VFL level via football smarts rather than physical prowess which means he could do ok in the forwardline.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 03:29 PM
We must play Everitt could be the answer eventually up forward

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Surely O'Keefe has to get his chance - he gets possies at VFL level via football smarts rather than physical prowess which means he could do ok in the forwardline.

If O'Keefe doesn't get a go this week he should change Management to Olarenshaw

Put Skipper at CHF. He normally kicks bags from there:D

Mantis
29-07-2009, 04:15 PM

But he wouldn't add anything to our offensive pressure which is poor enough as it is.

Big_Willba
29-07-2009, 04:44 PM
If O'Keefe doesn't get a go this week he should change Management to Olarenshaw

Put Skipper at CHF. He normally kicks bags from there:D

haha. O'Keefe has defitnly earnt his spot. unlike some in the group that were handed a chance. e.g hill, lynch, stack, grant. maybe reid late last year. perfect chance to debut him or even wood.

Mofra
29-07-2009, 05:12 PM
But he wouldn't add anything to our offensive pressure which is poor enough as it is.
That's speculation but we wont know for sure unless we try him. Eade has expressed reservations about O'Keefe but he keeps performing, I say we should find out in some sort of definitive fashion.

AndrewP6
29-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Murphy out, Higgins out, Welsh out, Johnno with a sore bum (gluteus maximus)... There really will be no one to kick it to. Pardon me if the prospect of Wayde Skipper getting a gig doesn't really instill confidence.

Sedat
29-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Great news that we will be giving Welsh a chance to get 100% fit before the finals. To be honest, he has been a liability for us since the North game.

At full capacity, Welsh adds considerably to our forward line structure and potency because he commands a good defender and works hard to keep the ball in our forward line. But he is one player whose output drops considerably when he is anything other than 100%.

Mantis
29-07-2009, 06:01 PM
That's speculation but we wont know for sure unless we try him. Eade has expressed reservations about O'Keefe but he keeps performing, I say we should find out in some sort of definitive fashion.

Nah, fair enough.

He deserves an opportunity so hopefully he gets one and he shows us what he is capable of.

Hot_Doggies
29-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I can't see any long term benefit of playing Skipper.

G-Mo77
29-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I can't see any long term benefit of playing Skipper.

Be that as it may the guy is still on our list and has probably been our most consitant performer in the VFL. I really think with Welsh out that we will see Skipper or Grant in the side this week.

Stefcep
29-07-2009, 08:38 PM
With all these outs, with inexperienced players coming in, is this a danger game? The last couple of times I thought they we competitive.

BulldogBelle
29-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Be that as it may the guy is still on our list and has probably been our most consitant performer in the VFL. I really think with Welsh out that we will see Skipper or Grant in the side this week.

At least the ball wont be dropped out of Skip's hands (like Minson)

Dry Rot
29-07-2009, 09:08 PM
hasn't Skipper been playing at Willi as a ruckman not a forward?

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2009, 09:39 PM
At least the ball wont be dropped out of Skip's hands (like Minson)

That's quite a large assumption.

BulldogBelle
29-07-2009, 10:21 PM
That's quite a large assumption.

Your probably right

Especially considering Skip has been playing full time ruck for Willy

Although the guy seems to hold a few more marks than Will, must have stronger hands

Mantis
29-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Your probably right

Especially considering Skip has been playing full time ruck for Willy

Although the guy seems to hold a few more marks than Will, must have stronger hands

Based on his performances at what level?

In my mind Skip has taken about 3 or 4 strong marks at AFL in his career, which isn't a lot.

Desipura
30-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Based on his performances at what level?

In my mind Skip has taken about 3 or 4 strong marks at AFL in his career, which isn't a lot.
3 of those marks were against Geelong when he had a day out and kicked 6, the other one was against St Kilda in the dying seconds when he kicked the goal to draw the game.

Go_Dogs
30-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Going to be some good opportunities for the kids the next few weeks.

Hopefully Welsh can get his body right for finals - as he is an important player for us when he is up and firing on all cylinders.

LostDoggy
30-07-2009, 07:25 PM
They said Welsh is out for an ankle! Is that after Rocket kicked it after the game:p

Mantis
30-07-2009, 07:39 PM
They said Welsh is out for an ankle! Is that after Rocket kicked it after the game:p

He rolled his abkle in the first quarter, he came back on, but was obviously under duress.

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Honestly I'd love to see Skipper get a shot at the Seniors again. His form in the VFL has been solid all season and really deserves a chance.
2nd that motion. a mate who goes to all the VFL games says he has been "solid as steel" all season. Big and mobile always makes a difference!