PDA

View Full Version : Cashed-up Swans on poaching raid

The Coon Dog
29-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Cashed-up Swans on poaching raid (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25849819-5012432,00.html)

Greg Denham | July 29, 2009
The Australian

In Part...

SYDNEY has identified Western Bulldogs full-back Brian Lake and West Coast ruckman Mark Seaby as players of interest, as the Swans move to rebuild their floundering list.

Before any new signings, it is estimated Sydney could be under its salary cap next year by up to $2million, providing it great scope to attract players.

Attacking defender Lake, who won the Western Bulldogs best-and-fairest award in 2007, has been identified as a ready-made replacement for Barry, who is still to play a senior match in his final season because of injury.

The Dogs' leading mark taker this season is averaging 18 disposals and the Swans have been impressed with his durability as he's played in all of his club's past 62 games.

Lake and his manager, Rick Olarenshaw, have not struck a new deal with the Dogs because of a dispute over remuneration. Olarenshaw was yesterday unavailable for comment.

Article in full (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25849819-5012432,00.html)

GVGjr
29-07-2009, 11:37 PM
The problem for Lake is that Sydney won't be a finals contender for a few years and I would think that should be an important consideration for him.
Quite possibly Ricky O is just adding a bit of fuel on the Sydney speculation to try and get him a better deal from us.

The Coon Dog
29-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Quite possibly Ricky O is just adding a bit of fuel on the Sydney speculation to try and get him a better deal from us.

Just what you would expect your manager to do in my view.

GVGjr
29-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Just what you would expect your manager to do in my view.

It would almost be wrong if he didn't.
Lake deserves more money but if it's his primary motivation then he should have to pack his bags. We should pay him well but not at the expense of the club and other players. Higgins seems to know that he could do better elsewhere but he is seeing the bigger picture. Lake just needs to be reasonable with his demands and he will do very nicely both on and off the field.

Bulldog Revolution
30-07-2009, 09:27 AM
It would almost be wrong if he didn't.
Lake deserves more money but if it's his primary motivation then he should have to pack his bags. We should pay him well but not at the expense of the club and other players. Higgins seems to know that he could do better elsewhere but he is seeing the bigger picture. Lake just needs to be reasonable with his demands and he will do very nicely both on and off the field.

Here, here

Lake should be well paid, as should Higgins but rightfully the club should not jeopardise its future success by overpaying them

I cant see either of them taking a fist full of cash to move

bornadog
30-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't know what it is and I don't know the guy, but Ricky O to me is a slime.

Sockeye Salmon
30-07-2009, 12:36 PM
What coluld Sydney possibly offer up as way of a trade that could come close to getting this deal done?

Won't it be wonderful when free agency comes in?

LostDoggy
30-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm getting really paranoid about Brian Lake leaving!!!
I want reassurance that he'll be here next year!!

GVGjr
30-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm getting really paranoid about Brian Lake leaving!!!
I want reassurance that he'll be here next year!!

Don't hold your breath then.

My understanding is that there is currently a fair bit of difference between the two parties but when push comes to shove, he is very likely to be staying.

mighty_west
30-07-2009, 01:37 PM
You can hardly blame him holding out until the end of the season, with insentives these days in contracts such as making All Australian, winning your clubs B&F etc etc, and the fact that Lakes current contract is very lean considering how important he is to the side.

I'm pretty confident both Lake & Higgo will get new contracts before this years trade.

I'm sure with Eagleton going on the Vets list or retiring and /or maybe another retirement, will free up space in the cap.

Twodogs
30-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm glad that Greg Denham seems to think that Lake is leaving. It must mean that Lake is staying. Denham is on Kevin Bartlett's show a couple of mornings a week and no-one is quite as good at getting thingts spectacularly wrong.

Last week he had a go at Chris Bond, indicated that Bond was a nobody when it came to senior coaching positions, and inferred that Bond was wasting everyone's time applying for them.

So far this season he has wanted to award the premiership cup to Hawthorn before the season started, then Geelong about halfway through the season and now he is all over St Kilda-cant understand why Ross Lyon (or Garry as he called him yesterday) hasnt already been made coach of the year.

LostDoggy
30-07-2009, 02:33 PM
As Aker said on the footy show, he would hang up his boots if it meant alleviating space in the cap to fit Lake in.

If his leaving ever eventuated: Play Morris FB, Williams CHB, and Everitt to cover the floating role that Lake does at the moment?

Mantis
30-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm glad that Greg Denham seems to think that Lake is leaving. It must mean that Lake is staying. Denham is on Kevin Bartlett's show a couple of mornings a week and no-one is quite as good at getting thingts spectacularly wrong.

Not the same Greg Denham who is introduced as the 'best newsbreaker in the business' or something to that effect?

Agree, I reckon he is a flog of the highest order.

Mofra
30-07-2009, 03:01 PM
If his leaving ever eventuated: Play Morris FB, Williams CHB, and Everitt to cover the floating role that Lake does at the moment?
I'm against playing a 7 man backline, as our forwardline is dysfunctional enough without palying outmanned.

Lake would be tough to cover; but if Williams' body can stand up and Morris can play a little taller than his height, we'd be only a little time off a replacement being ready (there is a lot of Boumann love on these boards for those who have seen him).

aker39
30-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Not the same Greg Denham who is introduced as the 'best newsbreaker in the business' or something to that effect?

Agree, I reckon he is a flog of the highest order.

Some may disagree, but give me Patrick Smith over Greg Denham anyday.

bornadog
30-07-2009, 04:59 PM

I agree.

LostDoggy
30-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Mondays to Wednesdays.