PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow and Williams in

Twodogs
19-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Jarod Harbrow of the rookie list and straight into the seniors, along with Tom Williams.

Best of luck to the pair of them.

bornadog
19-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Jarod Harbrow of the rookie list and straight into the seniors, along with Tom Williams.

I wonder who will be out?

Go_Dogs
19-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Interesting. I thought Williams might get a run, Harbrow's a bit of a surprise, although we need some spark up forward.

bornadog
19-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Sam Power is doubtful (hammy) and I missed the news but I heard the word "ruck" mentioned as out - could be Street

GVGjr
19-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Big changes. Lets hope Williams is ready to go and Harbrow, who has been impressive, makes the most of his chances.

I suppose Eade has finally decided enough is enough with the undermanned defence.

Bulldog Revolution
19-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Brilliant news:

Harbrow has seemingly had a brilliant preseason so all credit to him, and our recruiting network for picking his as a rookie

Tommy has kept working hard and will be excited to be out there

aker39
19-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Sam Power is doubtful (hammy) and I missed the news but I heard the word "ruck" mentioned as out - could be Street

Yes, they mentioned Street

Bulldog Revolution
19-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Interesting. I thought Williams might get a run, Harbrow's a bit of a surprise, although we need some spark up forward.

Given that Harbrow debuted in the VFL seniors last week and the AFL this week it really is a surprise

But it does suggest that he was not selected in the VFL seniors for Week 1 due to us only being allowed 10 players in the VFL squad

Dry Rot
19-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Wonder if these two aren't the only changes?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2007, 03:20 PM
ATM;

IN: Williams, Harbrow
OUT: Power

* Cross is in doubt to play.

* Street has been mentioned on Radio as the other likely omission.

* Ray; another chance? Surely not.

Fingers crossed that Cross plays. If he doesn't, Faulkner will surely come into the side. Ray MIGHT be safe for another week if Cross plays due to the fact that Williams & Harbrow have been brought in.

However, I would still personally drop Ray for Faulkner.

Williams, Harbrow & Faulkner for Street, Power & Ray would seem logical.

Williams replaces Street who really was useless last week. Williams will strengthen the backline up, allowing Hargrave or Morris to play on somebody of their own size. I think Williams would be able to hold up well against a Pattison type. Harbrow adds some much needed flair. Some real excitement, flashy material with extreme pace AND pressure. Faulkner replacing Ray would be handy too as I think it makes us more versatile (Faulkner can play wing/forward as opposed to Ray being restricted to a wing) and adds that hard edge we've also been lacking.

bornadog
19-04-2007, 03:25 PM
ATM;

Williams replaces Street who really was useless last week.

Street wasn't the only Ruckman that was useless, did you notice that between Street, Darcy and Minson, not one mark between them. Overall we won the hitouts but thats about all.

LostDoggy
19-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Given that Harbrow debuted in the VFL seniors last week and the AFL this week it really is a surprise

But it does suggest that he was not selected in the VFL seniors for Week 1 due to us only being allowed 10 players in the VFL squad

As we walked around Chirnside park in the 1st quarter last week, Harbrow kicked the first 2 Werribee goals. I passed the major sponsor who I know and straight away asked why he hadn't played last week. He just shrugged his shoulders.

southerncross
19-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Exciting isn't it. Williams to Schultz I would think. Harbrow in the FP.

alwaysadog
19-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Just proir to the Draft FootyGoss' reviewed each state's most likely selections and had Harbrow at No 9 from Victoria, and said the following;

9. Jarrad Harbrow – Murray Bushrangers
Can play as an inside or outside midfielder. Greatest assets are pace, kicking and goal sense. Didn’t have an extremely impressive championships campaign or draft camp but goalkicking midfielders can be invaluable. Should be selected somewhere after pick 25.

His progress so far suggests they weren't far wrong.

Good luck to both Jarrad and Tommy tomorrow night

Bulldog Revolution
20-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Exciting isn't it. Williams to Schultz I would think.

Thats one of the matchups I saw as being likely, but I guess Polak is not out of the question either, but you'd think Richo would be too experienced for him. But then its not beyond the realms of possibility that he might be tried forward

southerncross
20-04-2007, 05:39 AM
That is a bit cruel of Rocket isn't it?

Eade has Harbrow delirious (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21587219-5012432,00.html)

BEFORE receiving the good news, Jarrod Harbrow also learned that Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has a cruel sense of humour.

Harbrow, 18, will be one of four first-gamers in tonight's match between the Western Bulldogs and Richmond at the MCG. Also making their debuts for the Bulldogs are defender Tom Williams, 20, midfielder Shane Edwards, 18, and backman Jake King, 23.
Harbrow was told yesterday he would come off the rookie list for veteran Chris Grant, who has a long-term groin injury. But Eade did not break the news gently.
"I was just up in the players' meeting room, having a sleep and I got a phone call," Harbrow said.
"I came down - and he played a joke on me ... he said 'I heard you got in trouble with another player' and I was freaking out, 'what have I done?'
"Then he puts his hand out, shakes my hand and said, 'you're in this week' and that was in front of all the other coaching staff - I'm just absolutely rapt."
While Harbrow has come up through the rookie list, Williams has taken an even tougher path to his senior debut.
The No.6 selection in the 2004 national draft has needed three operations to repair a broken bone in his foot, necessitating at least three months' recuperation each time.
The injury is similar to the one that nearly ended the career of Essendon star James Hird in 1999.
Hird's former team-mate Sean Wellman, now an assistant coach at the Bulldogs, arranged for Williams to have lunch with Hird.
"He was really good, he pretty much told me how to deal with it and some advice on how to handle the pressure to get out on the track," Williams said.
"My surgeon said it's not going to break now, it's got half a hardware store in there. I'm very confident it's 100 per cent."
Collingwood last week gave three youngsters their first games.
Eade said the potential impact of the debutants should not be underestimated.
"What that did prove last week is that you can throw players in the deep end and expect a bit from them," Eade said.
"If you lower expectations of players, they will actually play to that level."
"It's exciting to play a couple of new boys," Tigers assistant coach Brian Royal said after training at the MCG yesterday.

The Coon Dog
20-04-2007, 06:58 AM

Both Harvrow & Hughes didn't play seniors at Werribee in R1 because Werribee felt there were others more worthy of a game, wasn't to do with quota restrictions, they only apply in finals.

alwaysadog
20-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Both Harvrow & Hughes didn't play seniors at Werribee in R1 because Werribee felt there were others more worthy of a game, wasn't to do with quota restrictions, they only apply in finals.

Irrespective of how Harbrow performs tonight it makes one wonder about the continuing value of the AFL-VFL alignments when the differing demands are so great that a player on the verge of senior selection can't get a game.

Twodogs
20-04-2007, 10:05 AM

Also applies against the non-alligned VFL clubs.

Bulldog Revolution
20-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Also applies against the non-alligned VFL clubs.

Thanks Coon and Two Dogs - nice to get that info on Harbrow and Hughes and then to get the rule qualified

So in Round 1 of VFL action we played Willi and chose not to play them

Raw Toast
20-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Just proir to the Draft FootyGoss' reviewed each state's most likely selections and had Harbrow at No 9 from Victoria, and said the following;

9. Jarrad Harbrow – Murray Bushrangers
Can play as an inside or outside midfielder. Greatest assets are pace, kicking and goal sense. Didn’t have an extremely impressive championships campaign or draft camp but goalkicking midfielders can be invaluable. Should be selected somewhere after pick 25.

His progress so far suggests they weren't far wrong.

Good luck to both Jarrad and Tommy tomorrow night

Thanks for the profile aad. The thing that's impressed me most from the few looks I've had of him have been his pressure skills. He can really rip tackles.

Eade said on SEN last night that Williams is the best tackler at the club, so the two inclusions might also be about increasing the pressure we place on opponents.

alwaysadog
20-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the profile aad. The thing that's impressed me most from the few looks I've had of him have been his pressure skills. He can really rip tackles.

Eade said on SEN last night that Williams is the best tackler at the club, so the two inclusions might also be about increasing the pressure we place on opponents.

Yes and trying to get an answer to the tall forward problem our opponents are inflicting on us.

Go_Dogs
20-04-2007, 03:57 PM
You think Williams will play forward tonight AAD?

alwaysadog
21-04-2007, 08:23 PM
You think Williams will play forward tonight AAD?

Not really McMahon#23, sorry for the belated reply. I thought he would be used predominantly against the opposition forwards but didn't express myself very clearly.

LostDoggy
21-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Williams seems to be of a natural defender than forward at this stage although he might be able to play anywhere once he gets the feel of the game. Where does everyone else seem him playing?

bulldogtragic
21-04-2007, 11:27 PM
CHB for me. Although if he's engine is strong, a very tall, very fast, very strong hard hitting, hard tackling midfield role wouldn't be out of the question either.