PDA

View Full Version : Tall Forwards we Chased - where are they now?

Mofra
31-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Just thinking back to last year's trade period, the Bulldogs were linked to potential trades to a few marking forwards: Russell Robertson, Barry Hall, Adam Campbell, Ash Hansen, and Tim Boyle.

I'm just wondering (in the collective wisdom of WOOF):

a. Which of these guys would be getting a game for us now?

b. Will we target any of these guys (or someone similar) in the off season, with the development of our talls at Willy no tall being ready for perhaps another year or two?

Remi Moses
31-07-2009, 04:46 PM
yes just how is Russell Robertson going?:eek:

Remi Moses
31-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Just thinking back to last year's trade period, the Bulldogs were linked to potential trades to a few marking forwards: Russell Robertson, Barry Hall, Adam Campbell, Ash Hansen, and Tim Boyle.

I'm just wondering (in the collective wisdom of WOOF):

a. Which of these guys would be getting a game for us now?

b. Will we target any of these guys (or someone similar) in the off season, with the development of our talls at Willy no tall being ready for perhaps another year or two?

Yeah the onle one who has performed is Barry Hall. He'd have to be the only target out of that lot.

Mofra
31-07-2009, 04:50 PM
yes just how is Russell Robertson going?:eek:
Glad you didn't mention Tim Boyle to be honest. :o

Interesting question though - do you think Robertson would be getting a game for us at the moment?

Desipura
31-07-2009, 04:51 PM
to be fair to Boyle, he has done a knee and therefore did not have a chance to perform. Given the large number of injuries at Hawthorn earlier in the season, you would think he would have played.

Mantis
31-07-2009, 04:52 PM
We chased (??) Robertson at the end of the 07 season. We got Scott Welsh with the PSD pick we had hoped we would use on Robbo.

He hasn't been the same player since his achilles snapped last year so it isn't really fair to judge how he is going.

The Pie Man
31-07-2009, 04:54 PM
If Robertson isn't offered a contract (or a tiny one he'll reject) we may look at him again.

Hall we all have discussed at length

Hansen signed a contract with West Coast I believe, Boyle's career is likely over and I don't know anything about Campbell

Who are some others we may look at this summer?

Both David Hale and Colin Miller have spent time in the VFL recently, would we have a look at these two gentlemen?

What about McGuire at St Kilda? I know he's not thought of as a forward, though.....

Mofra
31-07-2009, 04:55 PM
We chased (??) Robertson at the end of the 07 season. We got Scott Welsh with the PSD pick we had hoped we would use on Robbo.
Ooops - you're right :o

Interesting to see Ash Hansen dropped this week as week - WCE tanking or is he really that out of form?

LostDoggy
31-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Interesting question though - do you think Robertson would be getting a game for us at the moment?

No, i am glad the Robbo deal di9dn't go ahead. Tim Boyle would prefer to plays two for hawks great choice, saved us picking up another dud.

Sockeye Salmon
31-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Some players are really dumb.

A few years back Fergus Watts wanted to come back to Melboure so he picks St. Kilda because he baracked for them as a kid. They already dad Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Gehrig and now he's playing metro footy.

Campbell should have simply walked out on Freo last year. he'll spend another year in the WAFL next year before oblivion. Tim Boyle will never be heard from again.

If I was Mitch Thorp, I would be asking for out.

bulldogtragic
31-07-2009, 06:47 PM

A few years back Fergus Watts wanted to come back to Melboure so he picks St. Kilda because he baracked for them as a kid. They already dad Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Gehrig and now he's playing metro footy.

Campbell should have simply walked out on Freo last year. he'll spend another year in the WAFL next year before oblivion. Tim Boyle will never be heard from again.

Mitch should be calling Fantasia on a weekly basis. A club that is looking for a tall, and a talented kid behind two of the best tall forwards in the AFL. If he doesn't make a move, he is also on his way to football oblivion.

The Adelaide Connection
31-07-2009, 07:09 PM

To be fair on Watts he broke his ankle playing for Casey and also developed OP. 5 surgeries later and he found himself delisted by the saints. I remember reading an article that his ankles might as well be painted on, he requires ungodly amounts of tape just to play each week.

I remember him booting 10 or so goals in an SANFL final. He would have been an absolute gun if he wasn't struck down.

Couldn't find the article, but did find this:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478205
Watts up

SPEAKING of ankle injuries, Adelaide and St Kilda fans might remember Fergus Watts, the former first-round draft pick whose AFL career was cut short by ankle injuries. Well, Watts still plays footy, at Collegians in A-section of the ammos, but only just. You see, he has no planta fascia. (I don't know either, but it sounds terrible.) He can't train because he can barely run a lap. It takes a trainer 45 minutes to strap him up before every match, and even then he's yet to play a full game. But wait! He's still managed to kick 77 goals. With two games plus finals to go, he might become the first player with no planta fascia to kick 100. Watts this week faced a striking charge but was let off (a rarity in the ammos, where they've been known to put you out for blowing your nose), and can now take the field at home against Old Brighton tomorrow. The 23-year-old is no guarantee to play footy beyond this year, but for now he's taking it one eventful week at a time

Mofra
31-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Should think so - would he be getting a game at the moment? I'm thinking our forwardline over the past month has been dysfunctional so wouldn't take much in the way of VFL form to get his chance.

azabob
31-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Is he as good as we all think? If he was he would've been playing for the hawks earlier in the year either up forward or down back.
That indicates to me perhaps he isn't up to it yet?

DOG GOD
31-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd stay away from Mitch. Too slow and too injury prone. No thanks. I have a hawks mate who really goes overboard with rating hawks players (he rated ladson as good as dale morris), and he doesnt rate thorp at all. Said he will be heading down delist road very shortly.

Scorlibo
31-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I'd stay away from Mitch. Too slow and too injury prone. No thanks. I have a hawks mate who really goes overboard with rating hawks players (he rated ladson as good as dale morris), and he doesnt rate thorp at all. Said he will be heading down delist road very shortly.

Gold Coast bound I feel, he was one of Clayton's fabourites.

mighty_west
31-07-2009, 08:14 PM
What would Mitch Thorp add to our list apart from another develping all, and we have enough of those coming through in Cords, Jones, Boumann, Grant, Roughead & Everitt.

We would be in the market for a tall forward this is ready to play NOW, and if Thorp was ready, he'd play in the Hawks team this year, unless he's been injured all year????

Kenny McGregor was one that was linked to us as well, and he is well & truly gone, another bullet dodged.

Pedro Sanchez
31-07-2009, 08:16 PM
What about the 2 Beau's that play at the Hawks - does anyone think they have game? Anyway I think if we jag Hall for a couple of seasons it will ride nicely with our young KPs coming through now - Cordy, Roughy, Grant and Bouy.

GVGjr
31-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Mitch should be calling Fantasia on a weekly basis. A club that is looking for a tall, and a talented kid behind two of the best tall forwards in the AFL. If he doesn't make a move, he is also on his way to football oblivion.

I have seen him a couple of times and I don't think he can recover and improve enough to be a key forward. At best a tall defenders spot might work for him.
I hope he proves me wrong but he has been disappointing.

bulldogtragic
31-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I have seen him a couple of times and I don't think he can recover and improve enough to be a key forward. At best a tall defenders spot might work for him.
I hope he proves me wrong but he has been disappointing.
His development has been very poor, and that also means his price tag is reduced. I think he needs to do a Farren and walk away and hope he can find improvement in a new club, either back or forward, but another season at Hawthorn would be the end of his career.

Remi Moses
01-08-2009, 03:37 AM

no I think he's done . Looks overweight goes to ground to often, I also reckon there might be outside influences now [so called music career]

Topdog
01-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Good thing we don't listen to some of our fans at times I guess.

Desipura
01-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Totally agree and Thorp was the one I wanted last season.

Dancin' Douggy
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Pavlich must have had an absolute gutfull of playing for that lame rabble.
I would love to make a serious pitch for him.

Topdog
01-08-2009, 07:48 PM

He is someone I would seriously give up anyone in our team for.

hujsh
01-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Did we chase Kepler Bradley?

LostDoggy
02-08-2009, 02:06 AM

During the last qtr today, well yesterday looking at the time...i said to Matty he should come and wear a bulldogs jumper next year, he heard, kinda looked over, smiled then looked at the jumper he was wearing, it was like he was thinking, can i swap jumpers now please hahah.

Id have Matty in our team any day of the week.

The Pie Man
02-08-2009, 09:24 AM
During the last qtr today, well yesterday looking at the time...i said to Matty he should come and wear a bulldogs jumper next year, he heard, kinda looked over, smiled then looked at the jumper he was wearing, it was like he was thinking, can i swap jumpers now please hahah.

Id have Matty in our team any day of the week.

Almost anyone in our team - we'd have our limits, but Pav at the Dogs would be a dream

I just re-read an earlier post of mine and I mentioned 'Colin Miller' instead of Brad Miller, thanks for being classy guys and not drawing attention to it :)

The only reason I'm bringing it up is I want your thoughts on Hale, Miller & McGuire as possible targets over the summer.

Topdog
02-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Brad Miller is more of a lead up HF much like Murphy, except Murphy is better so no for Miller.

Hale has never really come on and I believe is 25. He is the kind of player I wouldn't mind going after, someone who hasn't realised their potenttal but has the ability.

McGuire I'm not sure how old he is but he'd have to be pushing 30 by now. If so I'd stay clear.

hujsh
02-08-2009, 03:51 PM
McGuire I'm not sure how old he is but he'd have to be pushing 30 by now. If so I'd stay clear.

He's 25 actually.

LostDoggy
02-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Almost anyone in our team - we'd have our limits, but Pav at the Dogs would be a dream

I just re-read an earlier post of mine and I mentioned 'Colin Miller' instead of Brad Miller, thanks for being classy guys and not drawing attention to it :)

The only reason I'm bringing it up is I want your thoughts on Hale, Miller & McGuire as possible targets over the summer.

Would we have limits for Pav? I reckon that the most valuable asset the Dogs have currently would be Cooney, followed by Griff, and I don't think either of them would be paying over the odds for a Pavlich, who would still have a good 5 years left in him. The only question would be over team harmony and what it would do to the team to rip a player like Coons out of it. If they preferred someone like Higgins + second round draft pick or something similar I (personally) would jump at it, no disrespect to Shaun.

Hale would be a good acquisition, but North would want over the odds for him. Haven't seen enough of McGuire, to be honest, to have an opinion.

Brad's a friend so I won't say anything about him.

The Pie Man
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Would we have limits for Pav? I reckon that the most valuable asset the Dogs have currently would be Cooney, followed by Griff, and I don't think either of them would be paying over the odds for a Pavlich, who would still have a good 5 years left in him. The only question would be over team harmony and what it would do to the team to rip a player like Coons out of it. If they preferred someone like Higgins + second round draft pick or something similar I (personally) would jump at it, no disrespect to Shaun.

Hale would be a good acquisition, but North would want over the odds for him. Haven't seen enough of McGuire, to be honest, to have an opinion.

Brad's a friend so I won't say anything about him.

I'd involve Griffen in a trade for a Pavlich or someone like Tippett in a heartbeart - mjp pointed out that he doesn't seem suited to a midfield role and I can't add anything to the argument (as usual it was articulated perfectly, this site has informed my limited football knowledge ernomously) and if we resist any temptation to play him off half back where we saw his greatest output then I'd be very comfortable sacrificing Griff for a high quality forward.

I think Higgins might offer more to us than Griff long term, as long as his body holds up. Personally, I think our 3 most important players are Boyd, Lake & Gilbee.

I like Brad Miller as a player, lead up like Murphy yeah sure, but he's very strong and can take a contested grab.

easybeat
03-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Agree with Pie Man, those three (Boyd, Lake and Gilbee) are untouchable. Possibly Higgins too.
Would swap anyone else for pav though. hahahah.
We could win a flag with Pav for sure.

Mofra
12-08-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25916928-2722,00.html

Mentions at one point:

Meanwhile, out-of-favour West Coast forward Ashley Hansen, 26, is set to join teammate Mark Seaby in seeking a trade to another club in search of better opportunities to play on a more regular basis.

The 2006 premiership key forward has played 76 of a possible 139 games in his six years at the Eagles, including nine matches this season, but he has not been a member of West Coast's victories in the past two rounds over Essendon and the Bulldogs.

Does this change any opinions on trading heavily for Pavlich or a similar type, or would we consider a duo of Hall & Hansen with Hall to last 1-2 years, Hansen 3-5 years, and hope our developing talls overtake them in years to come?

The Coon Dog
12-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Hansen 3-5 years, and hope our developing talls overtake them in years to come?

I reckon Bobby plays the same role as Hansen does & is less injury prone.

Sedat
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I reckon Bobby plays the same role as Hansen does.
Agreed. Bobby is far more effective in the role, not to mention has more dimensions to his game as well. For a player so strongly built, Hansen is quite a timid key forward. None of that is to mention the fact that he hasn't played a decent game for 3 years, and the fact that he openly slagged the idea of coming to the Dogs a couple of years ago when we made enquiries. File under 'crap tall'.

chef
12-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentions at one point:

Does this change any opinions on trading heavily for Pavlich or a similar type, or would we consider a duo of Hall & Hansen with Hall to last 1-2 years, Hansen 3-5 years, and hope our developing talls overtake them in years to come?

I prefer this option. Having Hansen in the team wouldn't dilute Murphy's influence, just allow him to play the way he should be(not as a makeshift KP).

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I prefer this option. Having Hansen in the team wouldn't dilute Murphy's influence, just allow him to play the way he should be(not as a makeshift KP).
It's Hansen or a blooding a pup. Rotate Grant, Roughy and Ayce through the match spot and wait for one of them to take the opportiunity by the throat. Hansen would be Bartlett, Jackovich, Cook, Bandy, Rawlings etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc - all over agin. Surely we need to learn the lesson sometime? Our long term development and success wont come thorugh Hansen, Hall maybe for 2 years, but not Hansen.

chef
12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
It's Hansen or a blooding a pup. Rotate Grant, Roughy and Ayce through the match spot and wait for one of them to take the opportiunity by the throat. Hansen would be Bartlett, Jackovich, Cook, Bandy, Rawlings etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc - all over agin. Surely we need to learn the lesson sometime? Our long term development and success wont come thorugh Hansen, Hall maybe for 2 years, but not Hansen.

All we a better chance to win the flag next year by blooding the pups in the key positions next year?

Hansen held down the CHF position in a premiership winning team and has performed well in numerous finals. He has better credentials then those other players that you have mentioned.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 06:03 PM
All we a better chance to win the flag next year by blooding the pups in the key positions next year?

Hansen held down the CHF position in a premiership winning team and has performed well in numerous finals. He has better credentials then those other players that you have mentioned.
Peter Hudson was a great tall forward too. Means jack what the past held for them. If fact, i'd rather have Peter Hudson over Ash Hansen. Hudson really proved himself, Hansen was great with Judd, Cousins and Kerr feeding him, and now fat WAFL players like McKinley are keeping him out of the siede when he's not injured. The 'better credinatials' line is what got Rawlings here, big marks, bags of goals... We would be pissing away a second rounder.

But you obviously have seen more of him and i respect where you are coming from, whilst not agreeing.

chef
12-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Peter Hudson was a great tall forward too. Means jack what the past held for them. If fact, i'd rather have Peter Hudson over Ash Hansen. Hudson really proved himself, Hansen was great with Judd, Cousins and Kerr feeding him, and now fat WAFL players like McKinley are keeping him out of the siede when he's not injured. The 'better credinatials' line is what got Rawlings here, big marks, bags of goals... We would be pissing away a second rounder.

But you obviously have seen more of him and i respect where you are coming from, whilst not agreeing.

The way I see it it's either Kennedy or Hansen in the WCE team. I don't think both can fit into a teams structure as they play the same position. Hansen actually started this year like a house on fire(close to BOG against Brisbane first round) but really started to struggle when WCE played badly.

If he was great when Judd, Kerr and Cousins were supplying him then how do you think he will go with Cooney, Higgins, Boyds, Ward, Griffen and co supplying him?

I have been a Hansen fan since he first started so my judgement may be a little clouded.

The Pie Man
12-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I'd do it - at the right (read low) price
Couldn't hurt - and while he's similar to Murph, he could play on the other flank/pinch hit up back where required
Wouldn't trade Hill for him, and they wouldn't take Skipper - PSD

hujsh
12-08-2009, 06:54 PM
3rd or 4th round for Hansen would be OK depending on his salary

GVGjr
12-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Mentions at one point:

Meanwhile, out-of-favour West Coast forward Ashley Hansen, 26, is set to join teammate Mark Seaby in seeking a trade to another club in search of better opportunities to play on a more regular basis.

The 2006 premiership key forward has played 76 of a possible 139 games in his six years at the Eagles, including nine matches this season, but he has not been a member of West Coast's victories in the past two rounds over Essendon and the Bulldogs.

From memory, Hansen was coming out of contract last year and signed another deal which probably means he is being reasonably well paid. With our well documented salary cap issues, I wonder if that would price him out of a trade to us. If he didn't want to come 12 months ago what would have changed for him to want to come now?

Mofra
12-08-2009, 07:49 PM
If he didn't want to come 12 months ago what would have changed for him to want to come now?
Kennedy would be my guess. The kid looks very, very good.

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Whatever happened to that bloke Tiller. I think he kicked a couple of goals against Adelaide once in his first game I think?

GVGjr
12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Kennedy would be my guess. The kid looks very, very good.

If he couldn't see that he was a the most likely candidate for the Eagles CHF spot 12 months back he's not the most observant guy around.

I know Hall is in the Dogs sights but I'd prefer to chase Hansen to be honest but on the proviso it was a minimal deal like the McDougall one. I'd also play Hansen as the FF not CHF.

GVGjr
12-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Whatever happened to that bloke Tiller. I think he kicked a couple of goals against Adelaide once in his first game I think?

Gets injured a bit and seems to be better suited to the back line.

Worth a try up forward again though.

Scorlibo
12-08-2009, 09:39 PM
If he couldn't see that he was a the most likely candidate for the Eagles CHF spot 12 months back he's not the most observant guy around.

I know Hall is in the Dogs sights but I'd prefer to chase Hansen to be honest but on the proviso it was a minimal deal like the McDougall one. I'd also play Hansen as the FF not CHF.

I agree, Hall seems a little bit disinterested in footy now, and if the explosions he makes can't be controlled by Kirk and Roos then I doubt we'd have much hope. Not to mention that he is getting very old now and may only have one more year left in him. Hansen has a lot to offer as a full forward as well.

mighty_west
12-08-2009, 09:44 PM

I'd like for us to try & get both, unlike last year, Hall wouldn't costs us that much, maybe a swap around of late draft picks, could even be a deal with a player like Skipper of they want to give him a shot.

I know Hansen plays similar to Murphy, but he does also take grabs above his head, not just a leading CHF, my only quiery is fitness, but he has proved to be a very good player, was a very important player around the time West Coast were up and firing around the mid 2000's.

Mofra
13-08-2009, 10:07 AM
...could even be a deal with a player like Skipper of they want to give him a shot.
If we're not going to hold onto Skipper, why would the Swans with their arguably better ruck stocks want him?

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I'd like for us to try & get both, unlike last year, Hall wouldn't costs us that much, maybe a swap around of late draft picks, could even be a deal with a player like Skipper of they want to give him a shot.

I know Hansen plays similar to Murphy, but he does also take grabs above his head, not just a leading CHF, my only quiery is fitness, but he has proved to be a very good player, was a very important player around the time West Coast were up and firing around the mid 2000's.

In agreement with this. I don't see how comparing him to Murph is a negative.. why wouldn't we want two Murphs in the team?

bulldogtragic
13-08-2009, 10:46 AM
In agreement with this. I don't see how comparing him to Murph is a negative.. why wouldn't we want two Murphs in the team?
I think Bob would be offended by the reference of being equivalent to Hansen. HIP.

mighty_west
13-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Yep, and Murph himself isn't exactly on the park 100% of the times, would also give us more flexability with perhaps moving Murph around.

mighty_west
13-08-2009, 11:38 AM
If we're not going to hold onto Skipper, why would the Swans with their arguably better ruck stocks want him?

What happens if Darren Jolley goes down?

Losing both Hall & O'Loughlin out of the forward line fron this season, they would most likely have to play Goodes up there with young Jesse White, they also went hard after Street last year, but Street wasn't interested in moving away from Vic.

mighty_west
13-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I reckon Bobby plays the same role as Hansen does & is less injury prone.

I dunno, Bobby does miss alot of footy and has missed quite a bit at important times in the season over the past few years.

Yes, Hansen is seen more as a leading CHF than one that can take big pack marks, but he still can and has taken alot of contested grabs.

What he does up forward is demand the ball, unlike what we have most of the times, in the bigger games when our midfield is under pressure and just bomb it long, there was a time at West Coast where when he was playing, they won, like us they didn't have a big forward line, so Hansen was vital to their structure.

Whats happened since that time, is them pretty much bottoming out, losing their gun midifield, all of a sudden he wasn't getting the ball as much, but has also struggled with injury [thats my only quiery on him], but when up & running, he is a very good tall forward that presents & presents, something we lack.

He is no different really to Cloke at the Pies, but is a far better shot for goal than Travis.

Mofra
13-08-2009, 01:58 PM
What happens if Darren Jolley goes down?

Losing both Hall & O'Loughlin out of the forward line fron this season, they would most likely have to play Goodes up there with young Jesse White, they also went hard after Street last year, but Street wasn't interested in moving away from Vic.
What happens if Minson or Hudson go down?

Swans have White, Pike & Currie who have the physical attributes to ruck at senior AFL level. Skipper is our only realistic back-up ruck option this year.

I don't think the Swans would be interested in a 193cm back-up ruckman who would be ~4th in line.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Swans have White, Pike & Currie who have the physical attributes to ruck at senior AFL level. Skipper is our only realistic back-up ruck option this year.

I don't think the Swans would be interested in a 193cm back-up ruckman who would be ~4th in line.
Pardon me Mofra, how did you get your username?

Sedat
13-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Agreed. I mentioned on another thread, but think we have been flirting with danger in recent seasons by having only 3 recognised ruckmen on the senior list (prior to this year). There should be 4 genuine ruckmen on the list at any given time, as Essendon and Brisbane would attest to this season.

Mofra
13-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Pardon me Mofra, how did you get your username?
An old high school nickname based on insults of others

mighty_west
13-08-2009, 02:36 PM

As i mentioned, i would have thought the Swans would want to play White as a key forward most of the time with a chop out from Goodes, so i'm not sure if they would want to play White too much in the ruck.

We have Roughead who has the body to play if required, i would have liked to see him given a game or 2 this year, but unfortunatly went down with a shoulder earlier on which set him back somewhat, i believe John Barnes has also mentioned that he could be pretty much ready to be given a shot, naturally he's not going to take the number one spot, but a shot here or there couldn't hurt.

For all we know, with Skip being regarded as just a back up player so being in form won't allow him for a promotion if Minson & Huddo keep injury free, he might also request another opportunity elsewhere anyway.

The Coon Dog
13-08-2009, 02:36 PM
An old high school nickname based on insults of others
Go back to the lady ga ga post to have the blanks filled in.

Mofra
13-08-2009, 02:38 PM
We have Roughead who has the body to play if required, i would have liked to see him given a game or 2 this year, but unfortunatly went down with a shoulder earlier on which set him back somewhat, i believe John Barnes has also mentioned that he could be pretty much ready to be given a shot, naturally he's not going to take the number one spot, but a shot here or there couldn't hurt.
If he has a solid pre-season he might be a decent back-up, but he couldn't finish a VFL season uninjured so obviously need more conditioning (it's not all simply about weight).

Shaw is an interesting one - a few in favour of keeping him as a back up as he's had longer in teh system and was a year older than Roughy when drafted. List management is going to be very interesting this year.

Mofra
13-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Go back to the lady ga ga post to have the blanks filled in.
No response, keeps up the poker face

mighty_west
13-08-2009, 02:50 PM
If he has a solid pre-season he might be a decent back-up, but he couldn't finish a VFL season uninjured so obviously need more conditioning (it's not all simply about weight).

Shaw is an interesting one - a few in favour of keeping him as a back up as he's had longer in teh system and was a year older than Roughy when drafted. List management is going to be very interesting this year.

I can't commment too much on Shaw, i haven't really seen him play, but from all reports, he seems to be coming along pretty well, getting a few senior VFL games in this season, another pre season for himself as long as he is retained, and who knows, he COULD be an option if required to play a bit part.

But with Roughead, i guess if you have the body, you are pretty much half way there, from the few occasions i have seen him play, he has gone about it quite well in the ruck.

mighty_west
13-08-2009, 03:05 PM

No it's not, which is interesting for why you mentioned Currie & Pike as back up options for the Swans, Pike is a Canadian who will need PLENTY of time to develop & would Currie be any more ready as an AFL player compared to Shaw & Roiughead for us?

Mofra
13-08-2009, 05:01 PM
No it's not, which is interesting for why you mentioned Currie & Pike as back up options for the Swans, Pike is a Canadian who will need PLENTY of time to develop & would Currie be any more ready as an AFL player compared to Shaw & Roiughead for us?
When I mentioned it's not all about weight, I think it's more about conditioning which Pike definately has due to his age & time spent playing other professional contact sport (Roughead didn't have the conditioning hence he broke down with injuries).
Currie has had more time & more development than Roughead and played in the pre-season comp as second banana this year. White has the body although the Swans want to use him forward.

Topdog
08-09-2009, 06:18 PM

And retired.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,26044771-19742,00.html

Since being drafted in the 2002, Boyle’s career has been interrupted with injuries. He suffered a broken leg in the 2004 pre-season ruling him out for the season before he was able to make his debut in Round 13, 2005.

Boyle enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2007 as a dangerous marking forward. He played 20 games including Hawthorn’s two finals matches and was the team’s third highest goal kicker.

His last two seasons have been hampered with injury. A hip injury in Round 3, 2008 allowed him just six games for the season and in May this year as he was gearing for a return to the senior side he suffered an ACL injury which ultimately ended his season.

Sedat
09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
And retired.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,26044771-19742,00.html

Since being drafted in the 2002, Boyle’s career has been interrupted with injuries. He suffered a broken leg in the 2004 pre-season ruling him out for the season before he was able to make his debut in Round 13, 2005.

Boyle enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2007 as a dangerous marking forward. He played 20 games including Hawthorn’s two finals matches and was the team’s third highest goal kicker.

His last two seasons have been hampered with injury. A hip injury in Round 3, 2008 allowed him just six games for the season and in May this year as he was gearing for a return to the senior side he suffered an ACL injury which ultimately ended his season.
Susan Boyle has more currency - maybe Pelchan can try and swindle her into a lop-sided trade :rolleyes:

Now that Hawthorn are clearly very keen to talk turkey during trade week, it will be very interesting to see if any clubs bother returning calls from that scumbag Pelchan. If I was North, I'd tell him they can have Gibson but it will cost one of Hodge or Rioli, and if he doesn't like it he can piss off.

Essendon developed a very average list in the last 4 years under Sheedy because clubs flat-out refused to deal with the Bombers any more during trade week. This meant Essendon could not improve their list at the trade table, and more importantly they could not off-load any of the duds from their list - and Sheeds being a stubborn bugger refused to delist the likes of Mark Bolton and Henneman until a blind man could see they were not going to make it at AFL level. Same thing could very well happen to the Hawks.

Desipura
09-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Essendon developed a very average list in the last 4 years under Sheedy because clubs flat-out refused to deal with the Bombers any more during trade week. This meant Essendon could not improve their list at the trade table, and more importantly they could not off-load any of the duds from their list -.

Solomon & Kepler Bradley:confused:

Sedat
09-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Post Sheeds

Desipura
09-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Post Sheeds
Thats incorrect, Sheeds was coach in 2006 when Solomon was traded to Freo.
Bradley was delisted by Essendon and picked up at pick 69 in 2007 draft.

Sedat
09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Thats incorrect, Sheeds was coach in 2006 when Solomon was traded to Freo.
Bradley was delisted by Essendon and picked up at pick 69 in 2007 draft.
Well spotted (I thought Solomon was after Sheeds left). Anyway the point is that clubs became very wary of Sheeds bearing 'gifts' when a number of them had been swindled in the past. Pelchan being such an unpleasent negotiator, and having also done some swindling himself (Hay for 2 first rounders), might also find it difficult to negotiate with the clubs he has pissed off in the past.

The Coon Dog
09-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Pelchan might also find it difficult to negotiate with the clubs he has pissed off in the past.

Including Sydney over the past few years with Peter Everitt & Ryan O'Keefe.

Topdog
09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
And us with Higgins for Boyle (or Thorpe can't remember which).

This is similar in all sports. In the NBA the Portland GM has been bragging how great he was by gettings a heap of draft picks and stockpiling talent. Then he threatened to sue any club which picked up a player they had "retired".

This off season he needed to do some trades and no one even spoke to him.

Sockeye Salmon
09-09-2009, 06:04 PM

Kepler Bradley is actually a very good example.

Bradley wanted to go home to Perth and Freo offered their 3rd round pick. Sheedy wanted a 2nd rounder and told Freo if they wouldn't pony up he would delist him and let Freo take their chances in the draft.

Freo did and drafted him with their 4th rounder.

Sedat
09-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Bradley wanted to go home to Perth and Freo offered their 3rd round pick. Sheedy wanted a 2nd rounder and told Freo if they wouldn't pony up he would delist him and let Freo take their chances in the draft.
Silly old Sheeds. Remember when he offered up a 2nd round pick for Scott West at the end of 2004 - he was so generous he offered to throw in Darren Walsh for nothing, even though he was about to be delisted by Sheeds :rolleyes:

I see he had another crack at Jobe Watson and the Bombers in the media this week. He's like Kennett, both of them are addicted to fame and profile, and they need to say something 'controversial' in the media every so often to keep feeding their addiction.

Bulldog Joe
09-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Kepler Bradley is actually a very good example.

Freo did and drafted him with their 4th rounder.

While I am not here to defend Sheeds, who is not actually a bad bloke, the Bradley delisting did occur at the end of 07. Sheeds had already been farewelled and Libba's serial bleeder mate appointed to the Essendon position.

Remi Moses
09-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Susan Boyle has more currency - maybe Pelchan can try and swindle her into a lop-sided trade :rolleyes:

Now that Hawthorn are clearly very keen to talk turkey during trade week, it will be very interesting to see if any clubs bother returning calls from that scumbag Pelchan. If I was North, I'd tell him they can have Gibson but it will cost one of Hodge or Rioli, and if he doesn't like it he can piss off.

Essendon developed a very average list in the last 4 years under Sheedy because clubs flat-out refused to deal with the Bombers any more during trade week. This meant Essendon could not improve their list at the trade table, and more importantly they could not off-load any of the duds from their list - and Sheeds being a stubborn bugger refused to delist the likes of Mark Bolton and Henneman until a blind man could see they were not going to make it at AFL level. Same thing could very well happen to the Hawks.

Pelchan has a very untrustworthy smarmy smile. He looks like former Kiwi cricketer ken Rutherford:eek:

The Underdog
09-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Let's not forget Adam Campbell who had his supporters last trade period, who has now been delisted by the mighty Dockers.

Mofra
10-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Let's not forget Adam Campbell who had his supporters last trade period, who has now been delisted by the mighty Dockers.
From memory the club chased him too.
It's not just the Bulldogs who have a history of failed talls.