PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Western Bulldogs vs Fremantle

BulldogBelle
31-07-2009, 11:56 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Saturday afternoon's game at Etihad Stadium against Fremantle.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 46 points
BOG : Daniel Cross
Adam Cooney to kick the first goal.

lemmon
31-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Dogs by 73
Boydy to be best on
Johnson to kick the first

AndrewP6
31-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I think our outs will have a huge impact...

Dogs by 21
BOG - Boyd
First goal to Gia...no, wait a second... Murphy...no, not him...Higgins... no, not him either...Welsh...damn... ok, I'll say WILLLBUR...

Max469
01-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Dogs by 22

Big Will - 1st Goal

Cross - BOG

boydogs
01-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Dogs by 45 points
BOG Brad Johnson
First Goal Brad Johnson

The Underdog
01-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Dogs by 33 points.
Boyd BOG
Griff first goal

Bit worried bout our lack of forwards. Lucky Freo are terrible.

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Dogs by 93
Johnson BOG
Akermanis first goal

Happy Days
01-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Dogs by 65,
Cooney BOG,
Johnno 1st.

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
dogs by 78
Boyd bog
Johnno 1st goal

Will to have a great game..

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Dogs by 91
Ward first goal
Johnno bog

NoName
01-08-2009, 11:10 AM
First Goal:- BJ
Margin:- 86 points
BOG:- Callan Ward

DOG GOD
01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Dogs by 17pts
1st goal: Aker
B.O.G: Boyd

KT31
01-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Dogs by plenty.
Johnno first and last goal.
Johnno best on ground.

Sockeye Salmon
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Freo by 34
BOG: Kepler Bradley
1st Goal: Scott Thornton

WOOF to go into complete meltdown and all Bulldogs players with over 20 games to their names to be taken out and shot. Those with less than 20 games will be excused completely.

The Underdog
01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Freo by 34
BOG: Kepler Bradley
1st Goal: Scott Thornton

WOOF to go into complete meltdown and all Bulldogs players with over 20 games to their names to be taken out and shot. Those with less than 20 games will be excused completely.

Guy O'Keefe for Captaincy thread by tonight?

1eyedog
01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Dogs by 4 goals
Boyd BOG
Gilbee 1st major

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Dogs by 33points
BOG Griffen
1st goal. Johnno

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Dogs by 53

Akermanis 1st goal

Griffin BOG

Topdog
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Gilbee BOG due to his father dying.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Doggies by 40 points

Johnno BOG

1st goal to Johnno......

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-08-2009, 05:49 PM
We got the 4 points, and didn't looked like losing but hardly awe inspiring stuff either . Given the embarrassing showing last week, the occasion of Johnno's record, and of course the passing of Gilbee's father, I hoped we would come out and give Freo a spanking.
More importantly I hoped all of these factors would make us come out and play 4 qtrs of heartfelt, powerful football.
I think we fell well short of that today.

Well done to Brennan Stack for showing some very promising signs for the future.
And most of all, well done Lindsay for getting out on the park today under such trying circumstances.

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Our skills were quite shocking at times.
My dad said it was timewasting in the last quarter..but that doesnt make sence to me..
If we were timewasting we'd be keeping the ball in out possesion, not kicking it out on the full!

1eyedog
01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Outscored badly in the second half by an undermanned third rate team trying to lose. Quite disappointing really.

BulldogBelle
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Outscored badly in the second half by an undermanned third rate team trying to lose. Quite disappointing really.

Today would have been a great chance to get a big win, and get some much needed percentage, but we only won by 30 odd points

GRR

If we coughed up the skills that we showed today against a half decent side we would have been pumped

Topdog
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Today would have been a great chance to get a big win, and get some much needed percentage, but we only won by 30 odd points

???? We are 10 percentage points ahead of anyone else. % is not important at the moment.

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Our skills were quite shocking at times.
My dad said it was timewasting in the last quarter..but that doesnt make sence to me..
If we were timewasting we'd be keeping the ball in out possesion, not kicking it out on the full!

Yep, Was a fairly lazy game I thought. A Win, but a disappointing one! :rolleyes:

NoName
01-08-2009, 07:14 PM
A Win, but a disappointing one!

I feel very flat after watching that game today. Good effort by Gilbee to play considering the passing away of his father last night.

G-Mo77
01-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Do people expect a team to roll over and let us win by a lot? :rolleyes:

I'm happy just to get the W which is what we wanted and blooded a few pups in the process.

That being said, I got home in time to watch the last quarter so I haven't seen it all.

Dancin' Douggy
01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
OK today wasn't a spectacular win but great signs from Tom Williams, Stack and I also thought Josh Hill worked hard all day up and down the ground. Our defensive pressure in the forward 50 was very good but then again Freo are so dumb and slow sometimes it's hard to tell if we're good or they're just hopeless.

DOG GOD
01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah i thought once we had the break of 35-4 in the first qtr, the boys decided the game was pretty much signed, sealed and delivered, and then just did enough to keep that sort of margin for the remaining of the game.

Stack showed good signs, and Hill played much better given freedom to run around. Ward continues to impress with his poise, but for me, Everitt was a little disappointing. Just seems a little lazy in his intensity.

Playing anyone other than freo, wc or melb, we wouldve lost today. The way we started it looked like our intensity was going to be top rate, but certainly fell off in the 2nd half. To be a REALLY strong team come finals, we must deliver a more constant effort. Running, tackling etc etc.

We couldnt expect to win against a decent side with higgins, welsh, gia and murph out of the side. Desperatley need them all back and firing.

But we did what we had to do. We WON. Now its onto Weagles next week, and then the 3 games to determine how fair dinkum we are for 2009.

GVGjr
01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
OK today wasn't a spectacular win but great signs from Tom Williams, Stack and I also thought Josh Hill worked hard all day up and down the ground. Our defensive pressure in the forward 50 was very good but then again Freo are so dumb and slow sometimes it's hard to tell if we're good or they're just hopeless.

Williams was both encouraging and disappointing today. The amount of times he lost his opponent was poor but some of the run he provided was good.

Hill and Stack were exciting but I really liked Wards game today.

1eyedog
01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
???? We are 10 percentage points ahead of anyone else. % is not important at the moment.

At the moment is the key section of your reply. We have Brisbane up there, Geelong and Collingwood. We are 8% in front of Collingwood and about 130 points clear of Adelaide and Brisbane. If we get pumped between rounds 20-22 percentage may matter. Although if we get pumped between rounds 20-22 the finals won't really matter I spose. I thought today and next week was going to be a real opportunity to beef up the percentage and show our wares as a top 3 team playing a bottom 2 team. But that didn't happen.

Dancin' Douggy
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes agree Ward was great.
With Tommy, it was more seeing that he could take contested marks, choose the right option and kick the ball well. Just your basic skills. I think todays game would have given him a lot of confidence in his ability to play at this level.

Studentlib
01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Brennan Stack showed he could be an additional goal avenue in lieu of Josh Hill who tried hard but can't seem to get clean possession at any time. Everitt should have gone to CHF before the last qtr. I thought he crashed a few opponents and added something with his size. Pity about his shot for goal. Eagleton has surely had his last chance. Skills and concentration were a disappointment. What was the plan with no one forward of centre for large periods of play. If the plan was to run the ball then they were too lazy or slow to get free. Aker showed what is needed to be a success with his chasing, tackling, smarts and disposal.

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I really enjoyed Wards game
The opposition doesn't really tend to care about him and then like today, he goes and finds plenty of space to drill a forward pass with..

alwaysadog
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
This is the hard part of the season when you grind out wins and that is exactly what we did. It would have been nice to have a flashy thumping, but I didn't expect it. Again some younger players were stand outs with Ward and Stack topping that bill and Aker reminding us why we need Aker.

Scraggers
01-08-2009, 09:10 PM
I watched the game with a lump in my throat both for Brad and Lindsay ...

I wonder how much emotion played a part in the game ... leading to poor skills and bad decision making

AndrewP6
01-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Glad to be sitting here after a win, for starters. Hard to judge our work, Freo was pretty crap! I felt our outs would impact us, and I reckon they did. We jumped out of the blocks, and never really were threatened, but there were some ordinary periods. Freo did get better over the duration of the game, but I would have liked us to kick on further than we did in the end. Against better opposition, we'll get done with those inconsistent efforts (and they've been there for a while). Anyhoo, we got the win. Plenty to work on during the week.

Good work from Stackalicious in his 2nd game, he showed some really good signs, some good grabs, and chases. Give him another game. Let's see if he can put a few together.

Tom W. played OK, made some good decisions, used his body to good effect. Everitt disappointed me, I was looking for him to really make some impact. He might get another run, but IMO he didn't earn it today. I thought Huddo's efforts around the ground were quite good. I thought Hill was much better today. Needs to put a couple of good game together.

Aker you BLOODY LITTLE RIPPER! Absolute champion... he may be getting on, in footy-years, but he knows where to be, and when. Bloody legend.

alwaysadog
01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I wonder if some of those who criticised Brennan's selection for his first game some weeks ago might now feel that the coaching staff have some idea of what they are doing, even if it is not obvious to all.

Rance Fan
01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Good to see Stack play well and Aker to get a few goals. Hill still not up to it for my likeing.
Ward Rising star maybe??? At least he is consistent and gets the job done.
Consistency of Griffen and Cooney concerns me.
Morris steady up back, Williams showing some ok signs. Everitt better at half forward.
Eagleton ....VFL

alwaysadog
01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Good to see Stack play well and Aker to get a few goals. Hill still not up to it for my likeing.
Ward Rising star maybe??? At least he is consistent and gets the job done.
Consistency of Griffen and Cooney concerns me.
Morris steady up back, Williams showing some ok signs. Everitt better at half forward.
Eagleton ....VFL

I'm very loathe to make negative comments about a player but Griff looks to have transmission problems; stuck permanently in first gear.

Dancin' Douggy
01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm very loathe to make negative comments about a player but Griff looks to have transmission problems; stuck permanently in first gear.

Can't help but agree. He should be tearing it up week in week out.
I absolutely love him but something is not quite gelling in his game.

DOG GOD
01-08-2009, 09:41 PM
One thing about Griffen's game is that he needs to deliver the ball with first option instead of trying to take the tacklers. This part of his game can be really good when it comes off, but when it doesnt it can go horribly wrong.

Both him and Cooney go in and out of the game too much for my liking. They really need to get that consistancy over 4 qtrs to really go to the next level.

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
With the Gilbee news. I am sure Griffens mind was probably else where today considering how recent his own father passed away. Has been good the last month and hopefully next week will be more switched on. Cooney is more of a worry for me. Seems to be half the player he was last year. Lacks that power off the mark. Also is not kicking many goals this year.

comrade
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Cooney is more of a worry for me. Seems to be half the player he was last year. Lacks that power off the mark. Also is not kicking many goals this year.

You do realise he's struggled with a knee injury and has had surgery during the season? Add this to the fact that he had a non-existent pre-season, and it's actually kind of amazing that he's still racking up 30 possession games.

Regarding his game today, I thought some of his zip returned and his clearance work was very good.

BulldogBelle
01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Brennan Stack showed he could be an additional goal avenue in lieu of Josh Hill who tried hard but can't seem to get clean possession at any time. Everitt should have gone to CHF before the last qtr. I thought he crashed a few opponents and added something with his size. Pity about his shot for goal. Eagleton has surely had his last chance. Skills and concentration were a disappointment. What was the plan with no one forward of centre for large periods of play. If the plan was to run the ball then they were too lazy or slow to get free. Aker showed what is needed to be a success with his chasing, tackling, smarts and disposal.

Everitt was OK as CHF in the last quarter

His opposition wasnt much chop, but he showed that he could definately play the position in the future

Suppose as the guy puts on weight over the years he could play the position

Comments about his ability to mark in packs, and lead in the right places?

EAGLE....Oh dear....the guy works hard at times to get in the right positions...but leaves his opponent at the wrong times, doesnt hold his tackles, drops what he should take and sprays plenty of his kicks

HILL...again seems to run around in 3rd gear at times...I just wonder what he could do if he lifted his intensity

BulldogBelle
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
You do realise he's struggled with a knee injury and has had surgery during the season? Add this to the fact that he had a non-existent pre-season, and it's actually kind of amazing that he's still racking up 30 possession games.

Regarding his game today, I thought some of his zip returned and his clearance work was very good.

Cooney is getting better as the season goes on...he will hopefully back at his 2008 form once the finals comes around

He has been given the oppositions best tagger in every match he has played this year, and without a decent fitness base, and while he was carrying two seperate knee injuries, his performances earlier this year were understandable

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Asylum Ward;101358]With the Gilbee news. I am sure Griffens mind was probably else where today considering how recent his own father passed away. Has been good the last month and hopefully next week will be more switched on.

This is a very good point - I think it was absolutely courageous of Lindsay to go out there today, and I'm sure Griff was feeling it too. The loss of a parent is really something you never get over, you just learn to live with it.

LostDoggy
01-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Aker you BLOODY LITTLE RIPPER! Absolute champion... he may be getting on, in footy-years, but he knows where to be, and when. Bloody legend.

IMO, Aker was the difference today. He stood up when it was needed and showed a cool head and a well balanced and experienced footy body and brain. I too, am glad to have had a win, but I'd have to say, it was an ugly win. I wanted us to grab the game by the throat and really bury Freo, but it just seemed like the boys, mostly, took the foot off the accelerator after we got a few laps ahead :D Cruise control is okay with a side like Freo, but I think we would have been slammed by a better side. Given all the emotions today, I guess a win is a win, is a win, is a win!

lemmon
01-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Agree with this, I think the coaching staff and Cooney himself know he is lacking some of acceleration and pace off the mark and they have adjusted his role accordingly, he has played a lot more as an inside/clearance midfielder this year instead of the run and carry player he normally is.

The Underdog
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
[/B]

IMO, Aker was the difference today.

We won by 31 points.
Aker kicked 5 goals 1.
He was absolutely the difference.

That was an absolutely rubbish performance in my opinion. I'd almost say worse than last week. Aker was excellent, Ward was good. Stack showed some good signs. Outside of that, intensity was poor, decision making was often terrible. A good side would have destroyed us. Johnno deserved better. Thank god Geelong won.

comrade
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
What did everyone think of Addison as a defensive forward?

I thought it was a good move and improved our defensive pressure (albeit against a poor opposition). He also worked pretty hard to present a marking option, and finished with 6 marks for the game.

Could he become a permanent fixture up forward?

Rance Fan
01-08-2009, 11:55 PM

I thought it was a good move and improved our defensive pressure (albeit against a poor opposition). He also worked pretty hard to present a marking option, and finished with 6 marks for the game.

Thought he played well today and like always was hard at it.
Certainly need a defensive forward comes finals. Need to shutdown the following for example;
Stk - Goddard
Geel - Milburn
Coll - Shaw

Only thing im not sure theres room For Addison in the best 22.
Id like Hargrave or maybe Griffen to play the role.

GVGjr
02-08-2009, 08:21 AM

He did his job but I'm not sure there will be one like that for him each week.

The Pie Man
02-08-2009, 09:38 AM
We won by 31 points.
Aker kicked 5 goals 1.
He was absolutely the difference.

That was an absolutely rubbish performance in my opinion. I'd almost say worse than last week. Aker was excellent, Ward was good. Stack showed some good signs. Outside of that, intensity was poor, decision making was often terrible. A good side would have destroyed us. Johnno deserved better. Thank god Geelong won.

I enjoy WOOF's positive, supportive approach/position, so I won't harp on about yesterday too much - I agree with the above post..... it was the most bored I'd been at a game for quite some time. Minson's hands continue to test my patience. Aka's left foot gem in the 2nd quarter was the beacon in the gloom, along with the potential emergence of Stack.

I'm already nervous about the crowd/atmosphere next week when there's no milestone to show up for if yesterday is any indication.

LostDoggy
02-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I thought Stack and DFA were great today, applied a lot of pressure.

Aker magic off both feet.

Love Will but wish he could mark more consistently.

Getting tired of hearing our players 'are showing signs' and may be 'turning the corner'. Time for our guns to put in some consistently powerful performances.

Topdog
02-08-2009, 10:07 AM
At the moment is the key section of your reply. We have Brisbane up there, Geelong and Collingwood. We are 8% in front of Collingwood and about 130 points clear of Adelaide and Brisbane. If we get pumped between rounds 20-22 percentage may matter. Although if we get pumped between rounds 20-22 the finals won't really matter I spose. I thought today and next week was going to be a real opportunity to beef up the percentage and show our wares as a top 3 team playing a bottom 2 team. But that didn't happen.

If we get pumped by those teams than we will be on less points than everyone else. The one year where we have a great % and it is not going to be important.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I thought Stack and DFA were great today, applied a lot of pressure.

Aker magic off both feet.

Love Will but wish he could mark more consistently.

Getting tired of hearing our players 'are showing signs' and may be 'turning the corner'. Time for our guns to put in some consistently powerful performances.

Aker laid 7 tackles and Johnno 6 inside forward 50.

Mantis
02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Reports have that we are in a heavy training program at the moment so if that was the case it may be the reason why we looked flat yesterday.

As mentioned it wasn't a great performance, but I am happy that we won and I think we can take a few positives out of the game.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Aker laid 7 tackles and Johnno 6 inside forward 50.

Wow, impressive. That is what we need though, especially against the better sides, to do well.

Managed to listen to the 1st but had to catch a plane so missed the rest. Stack seems to have done well, Hill back in form, Ward played another good game. So the kids did alright - pleasing considering the past few weeks most of them have been under the pump.

Who did Picken play on, and what did people think of his game?

GVGjr interesting you talk about Williams getting lost. I noticed this earlier in the year against Walker he would get turned inside out and lost very easily. Who did Williams oppose? He'll struggle on the more natural footballers for mine and your comments would suggest not a lot has improved with regards to this. Good to hear his marking and run and carry was ok though.

I was a very excited man listening to the call and Stack kicking a few early goals. His chase down sounds like it was very good too. Hopefully he can continue on, could be an important player in the finals if he can hold his form.

Bulldog4life
02-08-2009, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=Asylum Ward;101358]With the Gilbee news. I am sure Griffens mind was probably else where today considering how recent his own father passed away. Has been good the last month and hopefully next week will be more switched on.

This is a very good point - I think it was absolutely courageous of Lindsay to go out there today, and I'm sure Griff was feeling it too. The loss of a parent is really something you never get over, you just learn to live with it.

I think that this makes a lot of sense. Added to this the reverse emotion for Johnno it can effect the whole team. Playing against a bottom team can sometimes drag you down to their level too and coupled with 4 of our forward line out I'm happy with the win.

I also heard on 774 AM after the game that the Bulldogs are in the middle of an intensive training program at the moment, no doubt looking towards the last 3 games of the year and the finals.
We have seen in the past when this happens the team's skill levels suffer like they did yesterday. If that is the case maybe we will see a similar showing next week.

BulldogBelle
02-08-2009, 02:34 PM
He did his job but I'm not sure there will be one like that for him each week.

Addison as a forward

Hmmmm. I think Welsh, Murphy, Higgins or Gia would do the job better at this stage than Dylan.

GVGjr
02-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Addison as a forward

Hmmmm. I think Welsh, Murphy, Higgins or Gia would do the job better at this stage than Dylan.

Thanks how I see it. At least we know now that Addison has another string to his bow.

Bulldog Joe
02-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Addison as a forward

I thought Addison was very good in his role and while he would not keep the players you mention out neither will Stack.
It does open up another POSITIVE option for team selection and puts pressure on players like Hill and Eagleton. There is also the issue of making the best of the available players.

hujsh
02-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Reports have that we are in a heavy training program at the moment so if that was the case it may be the reason why we looked flat yesterday.

Wasn't that our excuse last year?

ledge
02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I have a thought on yesterdays game and all in all probably a great effort to win, players minds would certainly have been a little distracted this week, with Gilbees dad passing away and Johnno breaking the record, a bit of wonder on celebrating a games record or the more important part of mourning for Lindsay and family.

How do you smile and gather around a milestone game when a teammates parent has passed away?
Lets not pick too much on this game considering circumstances.
Well done Lindsay and the boys.