PDA

View Full Version : Ins/Outs Rnd 19?

Happy Days
02-08-2009, 08:50 PM
For mine this week, we should give Eagleton a 'rest', as;

a) there is no benefit in sending him to Williamstown

and b) he is offering us nothing that O'Keefe wouldn't give us.

O'Keefe has earnt a gig, and next week is almost as perfect a time as this one was. Might also give Hudson a spell, Skipper is a more than capable replacement, and it'll give the beard a chance to freshen up before the finals

In: Skipper, O'Keefe

Out: Eagleton, Hudson.

P.S: Apologies if there is one of these going already

comrade
02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I'll be both suprised and elated if Eagleton is omitted - he's clearly in favour with the match committee despite putting up sub-par performances for the last 5 weeks.

LostDoggy
02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
We don't tend to 'rest' players, cant see Beardo out nor Eagleton.

No change unless someone didn't pull up well..and in that case GOK should come in, doesn't mean he will though.

Mofra
02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Question: Given he was named in the bests, is Easton Wood fit enough to run out a game of senior AFL football? Will effect my selection wish-list.

comrade
02-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Question: Given he was named in the bests, is Easton Wood fit enough to run out a game of senior AFL football? Will effect my selection wish-list.

I can't recall there being any queries on his fitness.

He's had an uninterrupted run since a mid season injury, so he's definitely match fit.

I'm a big fan, so I'd be happy to see him played on a wing (preferably Eagleton's)

Scorlibo
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Out: Everitt, Addison
In: O'Keefe, Murphy/Welsh (I reckon one of them might come back)

Bulldog Joe
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Out: Everitt, Addison
In: O'Keefe, Murphy/Welsh (I reckon one of them might come back)

Do not understand anybody calling for Addison to be omitted.
Did I miss something watching the TV coverage ?

Mantis
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm a big fan, so I'd be happy to see him played on a wing (preferably Eagleton's)

You are a big chance to over-take me as the number 1 member of the G.E.TA. club. :D

Scorlibo
02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Do not understand anybody calling for Addison to be omitted.
Did I miss something watching the TV coverage ?

He didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't do anything much. Someone has to make way for Welsh and Murphy.

comrade
02-08-2009, 09:31 PM
You are a big chance to over-take me as the number 1 member of the G.E.TA. club. :D

You'll always be the honourary number 1 member!

I'm happy to rip up my GETA membership, but he never gives me a reason to.

Mantis
02-08-2009, 09:35 PM
He didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't do anything much. Someone has to make way for Welsh and Murphy.

Couldn't that be Everitt?

From your moves if we had the choice between Addison or O'Keefe I would think Dylan would win the battle each and every time.

bornadog
02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Murphy on the radio mentioned he would be back this week.

In Murphy

Out Everitt

Scorlibo
02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Couldn't that be Everitt?

From your moves if we had the choice between Addison or O'Keefe I would think Dylan would win the battle each and every time.

Yes Everitt would be the first choice out.

O'Keefe thoroughly deserves a game. Addison is only preferable to O'Keefe because he has senior experience, O'Keefe has out performed him at Willi from reports.

Mantis
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
O'Keefe thoroughly deserves a game. Addison is only preferable to O'Keefe because he has senior experience, O'Keefe has out performed him at Willi from reports.

It is pretty clear that Addison is rated fairly highly at Whitten Oval. I cannot see O'Keefe being given a game at Dylan's expense regardless of how the 2 have performed at Williamstown.

BulldogBelle
02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
In
Murphy or Welsh (if one of them is fit)

Out
Eagleton

I would like to see one of Stack or Hill tried further up the ground this week...with the other alternating in the forward line

I think Everitt needs a longer run at CHF...he played the position quite well in the 4th quarter...and if he has Murphy standing next to him he will play even better

Addison gives it his all week-in-week-out, and gives a 110% effort in every contest he is involved in...in the forward lines, midfield or downback, unfortunately for him, the likes of Higgins/Gia/Murphy also do, and I think he will be demoted once those guys return

AndrewP6
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
If Murph is good to go, then he's IN
I'd say Everitt is OUT. Didn't do enough to hold his spot IMO

Rocco Jones
02-08-2009, 10:03 PM
I think it's the only game left where we can 'rest' players. Ideally we would be using the Gabba game but with Brisbane chasing a top 4 spot, it looks like it will be a big game in deciding our top 4 fate.

Scorlibo
02-08-2009, 10:03 PM
It is pretty clear that Addison is rated fairly highly at Whitten Oval. I cannot see O'Keefe being given a game at Dylan's expense regardless of how the 2 have performed at Williamstown.

How're we going to see how O'Keefe plays at the highest level if we never give him the chance to do just that?

Perhaps those ins and outs are more what I'd like to see than what I expect, but I did expect O'Keefe to be given a go at some point during the year and next week would definitely be the best opportunity.

Mantis
02-08-2009, 10:07 PM
How're we going to see how O'Keefe plays at the highest level if we never give him the chance to do just that?

Perhaps those ins and outs are more what I'd like to see than what I expect, but I did expect O'Keefe to be given a go at some point during the year and next week would definitely be the best opportunity.

I'm not sure.

I would have thought that if he was going to play this year it would have been in yesterday's game. It would have been a line ball decision between Stack & O'Keefe and Stack probably got the nod as he is a bit more explosive and possibly due to O'Keefe missing a recovery session.

Anyway I don't think we will see many changes this week, possibly Murphy might come back in, but only if he is fully fit.

LostDoggy
02-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Won't be any change, not until the injured players come back.

The Adelaide Connection
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I would like to see Hudson rested for Skipper as mentioned but doubt that will happen now the Weagles have lost their priority pick and will actually be playing to win. I don't think they will be easybeats.

Rance Fan
02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Out - Hill.Eagleton
In - Skipper, O Keefe

The Coon Dog
02-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Out - Hill.Eagleton
In - Skipper, O Keefe
Why Skipper for Hill? he's rucked all season for Williamstown & if he was to come in, surely it would be for Minson or Hudson.

GVGjr
02-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Out - Hill.Eagleton
In - Skipper, O Keefe

I'd question why Hill would be dropped? I thought he was very good yesterday.

Dry Rot
02-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I would like to see Hudson rested for Skipper as mentioned but doubt that will happen now the Weagles have lost their priority pick and will actually be playing to win. I don't think they will be easybeats.

Yes, I was thinking the same and recalling that they beat us earlier this season. However, their away record is crap but like the Tigers they actually start to play for a win.

Bulldog Joe
03-08-2009, 12:15 AM

In my view he did plenty right.
Hard at the contest and certainly got his share of contested ball. Makes his presence felt and, despite the criticism he has copped in the past, used the ball pretty well.

boydogs
03-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Murphy on the radio mentioned he would be back this week.

In Murphy

Out Everitt

Good news on Murph. Want to see him back sooner rather than later, to get some continuity leading up to the finals. I would give Eagleton a rest and put Everitt on the wing but probably won't happen.

Welsh may be back as well, I would drop Addison before Stack for him after yesterday's game

Mantis
03-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I'd question why Hill would be dropped? I thought he was very good yesterday.

I too thought it was the best game he has played for at least month. I really liked seeing him up the ground a bit more.

Good news on Murph. Want to see him back sooner rather than later, to get some continuity leading up to the finals. I would give Eagleton a rest and put Everitt on the wing but probably won't happen.

Welsh may be back as well, I would drop Addison before Stack for him after yesterday's game

Why are many people saying we should be resting Eagleton? I think he has been really poor over the past month and deserves to be dropped and not rested. Personally I don't think it will happen this week, but when we get a few back he should be looking over his shoulder especially with Stack performing so well against Freo.

Desipura
03-08-2009, 09:24 AM
In: Murphy & Welsh
Out: Everitt & Addison

Mantis
03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
There is an article in the Herald Sun (not on the website) about the emotions attached with Lindsay Gilbee's dad passing.

At the bottom of the article James Fantasia (football manager) is quoted as saying that Murph is unlikely to play this week.

Scorlibo
03-08-2009, 09:39 AM
There is an article in the Herald Sun (not on the website) about the emotions attached with Lindsay Gilbee's dad passing.

At the bottom of the article James Fantasia (football manager) is quoted as saying that Murph is unlikely to play this week.

Thats confusing, wasn't Murph quoted on the radio as saying that he will play?

Mofra
03-08-2009, 10:03 AM
In: Murphy, Wood
Out: Everitt, Eagleton

Unlikely second pairing. Eagleton is probably just holding onto his spot, but I'm not sure we can afford to have a 30 yo player who is in the bottom 5 performers in 4 of the past 5 weeks holding back a younger type like a Stack, Wood or Reid.

Ozza
03-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't agree with the calls to drop Hill or Addison - I thought they both played fairly well. Addison worked really hard in a role he wouldn't have been overly familiar with. Hill played his best game in 5 weeks.

Eagleton continues to underperform.

Initially thought Everitt was ordinary - but in retrospect - he probably wasn't bad - and I hope he gets another week to get into the groove a bit more - and get his confidence up.

If Murphy is back - I'd love to see him come in for Eagle.

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Seems the jury's out on Murph's return. I totally agree with you gogriff, I would love to see Everitt on the wing and give him a chance to use his athletic ability and run. I think it would give his confidence a boost but you're probably right - it won't happen. I don't really understand why Eagleton hasn't been dropped - he has been under-performing for a few weeks now. I guess it's all about timing - and also we can't really afford to be blooding too many young 'uns as we need to keep winning, and winning well to hold our spot. I haven't seen O'Keefe play but from all accounts from the learned posters on WOOF, has been doing really well at Willie. I suggest this week will be the best chance to give him a run if they plan on him playing an AFL game this year? :)

Cyberdoggie
03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I can't recall there being any queries on his fitness.

He's had an uninterrupted run since a mid season injury, so he's definitely match fit.

You and me both!

I'd also drop Addison. I don't think he offers anything to the side.

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
You and me both!

I thought he was ok on saturday, provided options up forward and his pressure was good

Cyberdoggie
03-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd also give Everitt another shot up forward. I'm surprised it hasn't been tried before but i think he showed a little bit up there. He improved steadily as the game went on while other more seasoned players totally faded out.
I'm of the opinion that despite Everitt's lack of form these last 2 seasons, i think he has actually learned a bit about putting his body on the line. He's not the quickest player and his reaction and agility is poor but contests in the air in pack marking. This is something we have nothing of. Minson gets lost in the air, Hahn can't get off the ground, Hill has forgotten how to leap to take a mark, Murphy is better on a lead, Johnno isn't that strong overhead any more and aker never was. That leaves Higgins as our best overhead marking player up forward!

Mantis
03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I'd also give Everitt another shot up forward. I'm surprised it hasn't been tried before but i think he showed a little bit up there. He improved steadily as the game went on while other more seasoned players totally faded out.
I'm of the opinion that despite Everitt's lack of form these last 2 seasons, i think he has actually learned a bit about putting his body on the line. He's not the quickest player and his reaction and agility is poor but contests in the air in pack marking. This is something we have nothing of. Minson gets lost in the air, Hahn can't get off the ground, Hill has forgotten how to leap to take a mark, Murphy is better on a lead, Johnno isn't that strong overhead any more and aker never was. That leaves Higgins as our best overhead marking player up forward!

I think that statement is grossly unfair. The guy is 75kg ringing wet and is expected to take pack marks? He should be allowed to run around and take the occasional big mark by being a 'floater' rather than the target man.

Sedat
03-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I was actually really glad that we trialed the use of a genuine defensive forward on the weekend by playing Addision in this role - Sydney won in 2005 with a couple (Buchanan and Schneider), West Coast won in 2006 with Chick in this role (whose defensive smother on O'Keefe late in the piece ultimately won them the game), Geelong had Rooke in 2007 and Hawthorn had Osborne in 2008. The defensive forward plays a crucial role in providing some defensive pressure in making sure the ball doesn't come out of the opposition defensive 50 uncontested - when used well, they can also make their direct opponent accountable who might be peeling off their man to go spare man up in the contest against a perceived more dangerous forward. If the St Kilda and Collingwood losses in the last month taught us anything, it is that we must counter the uncontested opposition defensive rebound off half back.

soupman
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I thought he was ok on saturday, provided options up forward and his pressure was good

Yeah, I agree. I like him around the goals, he's actually a good kick for the goals, isn't a bad mark and could provide a defensive forward option for us, locking down the oppositions main man and keeping their defenders on their toes. I can imagine him working into a Hahn sort of role (not so much the contested marking, but never giving up and keeping the ball alive).

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I was actually really glad that we trialed the use of a genuine defensive forward on the weekend by playing Addision in this role - Sydney won in 2005 with a couple (Buchanan and Schneider), West Coast won in 2006 with Chick in this role (whose defensive smother on O'Keefe late in the piece ultimately won them the game), Geelong had Rooke in 2007 and Hawthorn had Osborne in 2008. The defensive forward plays a crucial role in providing some defensive pressure in making sure the ball doesn't come out of the opposition defensive 50 uncontested - when used well, they can also make their direct opponent accountable who might be peeling off their man to go spare man up in the contest against a perceived more dangerous forward. If the St Kilda and Collingwood losses in the last month taught us anything, it is that we must counter the uncontested opposition defensive rebound off half back.

Absolutely agree, I think the defencive pressure showed by DFA and Stack was a mojor plus from the weekend, I owuldnt drop either unless Murph or Higgo were coming back, I would take the chance on Everritt too on Eagles wing or in the forward line, we need more more marking contests there.

Eagle for Okeefe.

boydogs
03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I think that statement is grossly unfair. The guy is 75kg ringing wet and is expected to take pack marks? He should be allowed to run around and take the occasional big mark by being a 'floater' rather than the target man.

Agree Mantis that Hill should not be relied upon to take pack marks up forward, but that is pretty much CD's point anyway, we need another option

I think Stack's attacking side and strength put him ahead of Addison in contention for this role, probably none of Everitt, Addison and Stack will play finals for us (in fact we need to drop another player to get Murphy, Higgins, Welsh & Gia all back in) but I think Stack could be the best chance

Bumper Bulldogs
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I think Stack's attacking side and strength put him ahead of Addison in contention for this role, probably none of Everitt, Addison and Stack will play finals for us (in fact we need to drop another player to get Murphy, Higgins, Welsh & Gia all back in) but I think Stack could be the best chance

I would prefer a fit Tiller as a defensive forward he was fantastic last year against the swans in the final. All that said Stack has the X factor that tiller hasn't.

I cant see room for Hill and Stack both ahead of Tillier as they both need to work on the defensive side and with two the same types we could be exposed against quality outfits.

boydogs
03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I would prefer a fit Tiller as a defensive forward he was fantastic last year against the swans in the final. All that said Stack has the X factor that tiller hasn't.

I cant see room for Hill and Stack both ahead of Tillier as they both need to work on the defensive side and with two the same types we could be exposed against quality outfits.

Tiller has been a bit forgotten hasn't he - certainly slipped my own mind. Hill has been outbodied up forward way too often for my liking and I think he should be up the ground. Will be tough for Tiller to break back in to the side IMO

comrade
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Hill on the other hand is just not competitive. 3 marks against Freo for a forward is a sign that we have a gaping hole that needs to be filled by someone who can take an overhead.

He played on the wing, in what was his best performance for a month - I think you're being a little harsh.

AndrewP6
05-08-2009, 09:40 PM
My two cents...

Addison played alright, and shouldn't be dropped. Hill played pretty well, and much improved on recent weeks.

Rance Fan
05-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Better to have Hill on the wng so he can roam free somewhat. Cos when he is up forward goin man on man or in a contest he struggles. Too light and no ferocity, needs to attck the ball harder and chase the opposition down with vigor. Pefer Stack up forward he shows more intent.
I think Hill did ok against Freo but against a quality team he seems to go missing. Im sure over time he will improve and get stronger. One ok game in five isnt good enough for my liking, especially when finals are around the corner. Id myself like to see a bigger option up forward like Skipper. He is a nice kick and can take a mark. A bit slow but can be a prescence up forward. I know hes been playing ruck in VFL but im sure he could manage, hes played up forward before.
After after a week or so hopefully where Hill plays well in VFL id much prefer him to go on the wing rather than Eagleton. Otherwise Reid or Everitt worth a shot on the wing for the future.