PDA

View Full Version : I was an honorary Sainter for a night

Dry Rot
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
My two Canberra based Sainters fan mates came up and shouted me to the match at the SCG last night. I was a Sainter for the night.

After our debacle last week it was interesting watching a bottom 8 side really take it up to the Saints. Arguably the Swans had their chances and deserved to win.

On the Saints side i saw no real weak links except Blake in defence who wasn't real flash. Despite the odd call from me ;) Ray was impressive - he never played like that for us. For all their flooding forward or zoning, they usually left a gun tall like Kosi or Riewoldt forward to provide a target as they broke out of defence.

Dunno the stats, but the Swans seemed to kill them in clearances and they had their own good forward set-up with Goodes at CHF offering a good target and White and Micky O playing deep. While the Saints forwards were pretty good defensively Shaw had a cracker of game - they had real problems stopping his fast rebound and mounting their zone.

A wit might say that it was the Swans playing better Swans but both were well drilled and followed their own system. Having a target like Goodes really helped the Swans counter attack.

It was an exciting finish but the strangest part of the night happened in the street outside the ground. The Saints fans who mostly looked like criminals or real slappers were signing and carrying on as if they'd won the flag.

Very odd.

Midnight passed and I reverted back to my true calling as a Dog. Some Saints prick gave me lip in a seedy bar and I gave it to him about his 26 wooden spoons. :)

Scraggers
03-08-2009, 01:16 AM
The only time I have ever cheered louder for the Swans was when they played the Eagles in the Grand Final two years in a row

I would have loved to have seen them win last night

Sockeye Salmon
03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Midnight passed and I reverted back to my true calling as a Dog. Some Saints prick gave me lip in a seedy bar and I gave it to him about his 26 wooden spoons. :)

How unlucky for him.

There is probably only about 15 people in Sydney who would know that stat and he managed to get sledged by one of them, and one who didn't even follow Sydney.

Dry Rot
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
How unlucky for him.

There is probably only about 15 people in Sydney who would know that stat and he managed to get sledged by one of them, and one who didn't even follow Sydney.

Yeah, he did seem a little surprised. **** him, if he wants to get lippy about the Dogs then he got what he deserved.

Are the Sainters fans in Melbourne carrying on like pork chops? They seem to think the flag is already theirs.....

Sockeye Salmon
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, he did seem a little surprised. **** him, if he wants to get lippy about the Dogs then he got what he deserved.

Are the Sainters fans in Melbourne carrying on like pork chops? They seem to think the flag is already theirs.....

Nowhere near as bad as Hawthorn fans were last year.

I have found I know a whole heap more St. Kilda fans than I thought I did, though.

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM

You don't know how funny that comment is

aker39
03-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Nowhere near as bad as Hawthorn fans were last year.

You reckon.

St Kilda supporters really shit me.

For some reason they think they are so far superior than us, yet look at their history and as Dry Rot pointed out, they certainly aren't.

I don't think I have ever hoped for a team to get injuries, but the thought has crossed my mind with St Kilda a few times.

The Coon Dog
03-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Clever! ;)

Dry Rot
03-08-2009, 12:55 PM

?????

The Coon Dog
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
?????

A significant proportion of Melbourne's Jewish community support St.Kilda.

Twodogs
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Most of the ones I know have assumed the foetel position and get slightly hysterical if you mention that they have won most of their games at Docklands and havent played at the MCG yet, and that maybe their gamestyle isnt exactly suited to the MCG. It's all crap and they will probably win the flag by ten goals but it's funny to watch them panicking! :D

Saying that I'd probably be exactly the same in their position.

Dry Rot
03-08-2009, 01:04 PM
A significant proportion of Melbourne's Jewish community support St.Kilda.

Thanks. I cracked a good joke without knowing it. :)

Dry Rot
03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Most of the ones I know have assumed the foetel position and get slightly hysterical if you mention that they have won most of their games at Docklands and havent played at the MCG yet, and that maybe their gamestyle isnt exactly suited to the MCG. It's all crap and they will probably win the flag by ten goals but it's funny to watch them panicking! :D

Saying that I'd probably be exactly the same in their position.

They don't look so flash when someone like Bolton can limit Riewoldt's effectiveness. They go in hard, but don't seem that good at clearances either.

Probably their greatest strength is the competence of their bottom six - aside from Blake, they all look pretty good at their role.

Curiously, the night finished yet again at the Courthouse Hotel at 2.00 am.

The Coon Dog
03-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks. I cracked a good joke without knowing it. :)

Holy Saints' helluva day (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/04/1083635129999.html)

This from a Jeff McLure article in 2004.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make in sport is to get ahead of yourself. That said, it's still safe to say that St Kilda's Jewish supporters - and there are thousands of them - already know they will have a dilemma to deal with should their beloved (and so far, unbeaten) Saints make it to the 2004 grand final.

Just like in 1966 when the club took out its one and only premiership, this year's grand final will fall on the occasion of Yom Kippur, the most solemn day on the Jewish calendar. Not only is it the day that Jews atone for their sins of the past year, but they are expected to spend the day deep in prayer in synagogues - and certainly not at the footy. And while the St Kilda side doesn't boast a Jewish player (in fact, none of the AFL clubs do, the last being Ezra Poyas, pictured, who played for Richmond in 2000 and 2001), for one well-known Saint this year's "one day in September" looms as a particular test of faith.

That man is Ross Levin, who is not only Jewish but is also one of the St Kilda footy club's board members. Yom Kippur never falls on a set day - just somewhere between the middle of September and the middle of October - and its clash with this year's grand final on September 25 will be only the fourth time it has happened in the past 40 years.

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 01:26 PM
When that occurred in 1966 1966, their CHB Ian Synman was a Jew and there was real concern that he would not be able to play.

Presumably, a Rabii gave him special dispensation.

Dry Rot
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Holy Saints' helluva day (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/04/1083635129999.html)

This from a Jeff McLure article in 2004.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make in sport is to get ahead of yourself. That said, it's still safe to say that St Kilda's Jewish supporters - and there are thousands of them - already know they will have a dilemma to deal with should their beloved (and so far, unbeaten) Saints make it to the 2004 grand final.

Just like in 1966 when the club took out its one and only premiership, this year's grand final will fall on the occasion of Yom Kippur, the most solemn day on the Jewish calendar. Not only is it the day that Jews atone for their sins of the past year, but they are expected to spend the day deep in prayer in synagogues - and certainly not at the footy. And while the St Kilda side doesn't boast a Jewish player (in fact, none of the AFL clubs do, the last being Ezra Poyas, pictured, who played for Richmond in 2000 and 2001), for one well-known Saint this year's "one day in September" looms as a particular test of faith.

That man is Ross Levin, who is not only Jewish but is also one of the St Kilda footy club's board members. Yom Kippur never falls on a set day - just somewhere between the middle of September and the middle of October - and its clash with this year's grand final on September 25 will be only the fourth time it has happened in the past 40 years.

When that occurred in 1966 1966, their CHB Ian Synman was a Jew and there was real concern that he would not be able to play.

Presumably, a Rabii gave him special dispensation.

Interesting history stuff. Thanks to both of you. :)

Twodogs
03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
They don't look so flash when someone like Bolton can limit Riewoldt's effectiveness. They go in hard, but don't seem that good at clearances either.

Probably their greatest strength is the competence of their bottom six - aside from Blake, they all look pretty good at their role.

Curiously, the night finished yet again at the Courthouse Hotel at 2.00 am.

Stop Riewoldt and you can stop the Saints. I just dont like our chances of stopping him.

Desipura
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
what made me laugh was the title, nothing honourary about being a Sainter, (a saint maybe, but not a sainter)

aker39
03-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Stop Riewoldt and you can stop the Saints. I just dont like our chances of stopping him.

I don't think I have ever hoped for a team to get injuries, but the thought has crossed my mind with St Kilda a few times.

That player was in my thoughts

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 03:39 PM

A large proportion of SEN callers seem to be Saints fans as well, especially the know nothing whinging ones. Painful.. whinge whinge whinge when the Saints lose, crow crow crow when they win.

It's one thing when the average punter does it, but when whole hours on the radio are filled with one-club tripe (there ARE 15 other clubs..) it's a bit rich.

bulldogsman
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Someone needs to do what Hayes did to Johnson except get lower.

aker39
03-08-2009, 04:36 PM
.. whinge whinge whinge when the Saints lose.

Shouldn't have heard any of that this year then.

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Shouldn't have heard any of that this year then.

Can you imagine what the whinging will be like unleashed out of the bottle after a whole year though when we beat them in the Grannie?

I guess I wouldn't really care at that point.

Remi Moses
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Jury is still out on a few types in the Saints side. The likes of Dempster,Gwilt,Mcqualter,R Clarke. They're cocky [as we'd be] but if they play Collingwood in week One,could be interesting times. Just got a feeling their midfield isn't as deep as the Cats and they're lacking a little leg speed.Amazing effort though winning 18 straight

Jasper
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I am finding jealousy dripping off the page in nearly every post.

I can assure you, if the Dogs were 18-0, we would all be feeling the same way.
Their players & coaching staff have acted with more humility than any league leader I can recall.

As for "whinge whinge whinge when the Saints lose", you obviously have a very good memory, cos it's been a while.

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Yes, I agree, if it were the dogs I would be pretty happy as well, but I'd have to say that the Saints fans I hear are starting to get a bit ahead of themselves and arrogant as well. Just like the one you met up there who gave you lip! In fact, I was thinking I was the only one with nasty horrible thoughts............"what if the Saints go through to the finals without dropping a game, and then get bundled out in the first 2 weeks :D?". Shame on me :rolleyes:

AndrewP6
03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Agree 100%. At 14-0 last year, I was feeling pretty good with our season, and didn't mind telling anyone. Yes, you do need to be careful, as a loss could be around the corner, but to me, the Saints don't look like losing to anyone in a hurry. And yes, that shits me!

boydogs
03-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I am worried to hear that Blake looked about their worst as he is actually 4th in the league for marks :eek:

On a side note, does anyone else see parallels between 09 and 97? Top 4 were St Kilda, Geelong, WB, Adelaide. St Kilda looked the goods coming in and were leading at half time but lost in the GF. Just hope we get through the prelim and it is us they lose to this time :D

Dry Rot
03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Someone needs to do what Hayes did to Johnson except get lower.

Kosi tried in the first quarter - flattened Riewoldt in a pack.

Remi Moses
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I am worried to hear that Blake looked about their worst as he is actually 4th in the league for marks :eek:

On a side note, does anyone else see parallels between 09 and 97? Top 4 were St Kilda, Geelong, WB, Adelaide. St Kilda looked the goods coming in and were leading at half time but lost in the GF. Just hope we get through the prelim and it is us they lose to this time :D

Let's be honest how many Blake marks are uncontested. Funny thing now is there are stats that are meaningless and some that mean something.

LostDoggy
04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Gia will look after Kosi in the GF, another sweet hip and shoulder, just to shake him up though, not injure him as bad as last time.....

DOG GOD
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Roo needs to do his hamstring in the dying minutes against melb in round 22 when the saints lead by 86 pts, then misses the first 2 finals and saints are bundled out :)

LostDoggy
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Their players & coaching staff have acted with more humility than any league leader I can recall.

As for "whinge whinge whinge when the Saints lose", you obviously have a very good memory, cos it's been a while.

Boy, you must be a trained psychologist to make so many sweeping statements after three f***ing posts.

It's hardly jealousy if it's consistent -- Mark Fine has gotten very little love on this board for as long as I can remember, and yours must be a pretty s**t memory if you can't remember events from less than 12 months ago. Not all of us have less than two brain cells to rub together, unlike yourself, as evidenced by your inability to even spell your own username (until an esteemed WOOFer pointed it out).

And the posts weren't aimed at the players (who as you rightly point out have been humble), but at the media, and one spud fan in a Sydney bar.

ps. We were 14-0 last year and I don't remember the media being all over us like white on rice, nor getting blanket coverage for whole nights on SEN. Play the ball, not the man, unless you want to get lanced, you d******d.

LostDoggy
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Boy, you must be a trained psychologist to make so many sweeping statements after three f***ing posts.

It's hardly jealousy if it's consistent -- Mark Fine has gotten very little love on this board for as long as I can remember, and yours must be a pretty s**t memory if you can't remember events from less than 12 months ago. Not all of us have less than two brain cells to rub together, unlike yourself, as evidenced by your inability to even spell your own username (until an esteemed WOOFer pointed it out).

And the posts weren't aimed at the players (who as you rightly point out have been humble), but at the media, and one spud fan in a Sydney bar.

ps. We were 14-0 last year and I don't remember the media being all over us like white on rice, nor getting blanket coverage for whole nights on SEN. Play the ball, not the man, unless you want to get lanced, you d******d.

Bigfooty?

hujsh
05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
We were never 14-0 BTW. We lost to North round 9.

Not that being 14-1 is that much worse though.