PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview - Round 19 - WBFC vs WCE

bulldogtragic
03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Match Preview: Western Bulldogs v West Coast Eagles, Docklands, Saturday 8 August 2009, 2.10pm

Last Time They Met – Round 4 2009, Subiaco – WCE 17.14.116 def WB 12.11.83

A very disappointing game for the WBFC, in their defence was the fact this was the second WA trip in 4 weeks. In the match WCE gained momentum, got the crowd behind them and never looked back. These factors will not be relevant this week, especially if only 19,000 turn up again this week.

Recent Form:
WB: L, W, L, W – Need to work up a head of steam coming into the finals
WCE: L, L, L, W – Need to keep winning and build momentum and confidence for 2010 now the PP is off the table

Ladder:

WB – 3rd
WCE – 13th

The Run Home:

WB: Brisbane (Gabba), Geelong (ES) and Collingwood (ES)
WCE: Kangas (Subi), Adelaide (AAMI) and Richmond (Subi)

Injuries of note:

WB – Higgins, Murphy, Giansiracusa, Welsh
WCE – Cox, Kerr, Nikoski, Waters
Big name outs for both teams, but the depth of the dogs can cover better than the inexperienced kids WCE having running around.

At the selection Table:

WB – I think we need to make sure the fitness of injured players is 100%, so I wouldn’t be rushing any of them back. Welsh needs time to be cherry-ripe, otherwise he can be a liability, while Murphy is simply too important to risk for a game against a bottom team.
Eagleton hasn’t been giving enough, but at 198 games for the club and favouritism with the coaches I can’t see him being dropped. Last week’s pups in’s of Stack and Everitt need more time and this game gives them the valuable experience of AFL game time.
Therefore, I think the only potential for a change should be Hudson if he wants a rest. In that case I’d give Skipper a run to see if he can generate any trade value.

WCE – A good win against an insipid Essendon was premised on a solid team effort. Without injuries it would be tough to drop any players, but you would think for matchups they might need an extra small defender if they believe, like me, that Welsh and Murphy will do another week on the sidelines. That being the case, perhaps McKenzie could make way for Ryan Davis.

Key Match-ups:

Embley v Griffen: Embley is a quality player and over the past few weeks has been running his guts out. Griffen for me hasn’t taken the next step this year and another run with role with a very good athlete and footballer is in order. Griffen will have to be on his game, but has the skills to do the stopping job on Embley and do significant damage the other way. With so much inexperience in the WCE midfield, stopping one of their senior runners would be a good step with the designated stopped to pick up Priddis or Swift.

Akermanis v Wirrpanda: Last week was vintage Aker, and the left foot swinging goal brought back memories of broken hearted Collingwood supporters. Aker’s form has been very good this year and when we need a lift, Aker has been producing. The intention for WCE will then be to stop the play maker and goal scorer. Who better to get the job on an agile wiley veteran, than an agile wiley veteran in David Wirrpanda. Wirrpanda has made a career of doing the big jobs on very good forwards and this is a delicious matchup.

Kennedy v Morris: I really like the look of young Kennedy. The forgotten man of the Judd trade has put together a solid year. A tallish forward option and a hard running player, Kennedy has many strings to his bow to make his the subject of a good defender. No better WB defender is better than Dale Morris. Tall, yet fast and agile with a good motor, the glove is the man for the job. While Tommy and Lake will destroy the hap-hazard Lynch and young NikNat, Kennedy could be a key part of their forward set-up. So I say give Kennedy one of the hardest roles in footy and shut them down.

Lecras v Harbrow: I’d like to see Harbrow pick Lecras up. Lecras can be a very, very dangerous forward. However, Harbrow has the speed to go with Lecras on the lead, and last week against Essendon, Lecras worked up the ground a bit more trying to play further up like Brad Johnson has been playing. Harbrow has the speed and skills to stay with Lecras both in deep defence and up the ground. If Lecras wants to play further up Harbrow can wander up too, and add his dash and foot skills towards the midfield. For mine, Harbrow offers a good defensive option on Lecras and a very good counter attacking option.

Stack v 22 WCE players: Who can stop Brennan? No one. I think we’re all looking forward to him running amok with opposition players who don’t have the right to be on the same field as Brennan.

Where the game will be won or lost:

At the risk of sounding a little arrogant, it will be won or lost in the heads of the players. The WB players have had a horrid run of shocking first quarters and first halves. If the players can come out switched on and put scoreboard pressure on from the get-go, then the dogs should win. Unlike last week against Fremantle, a doggies member would hope that the pressure of the players last 4 quarters and is ruthless. While the dogs walked away with 4 premiership points last week, the performance didn’t inspire the minds of those that watched the game. With 22 switched on players putting together 4 quarters of high pressure footy, the dogs should win, and win comfortably.

Final Summary:

This is a not negotiable ‘must win’ game for the bulldogs. With a tough run home for the dogs this is needed to keep the gap on the competition, and with Collingwood under 7%, some more percentage would be nice too. Although injuries to big name players, the WBFC has good depth and has good kids coming through, Stack’s game last week is a sign of things to come. While WCE also have big injuries but don’t yet quite have the depth to cover the quality players out. With that in mind and that the WB players have an enormous amount on the line, and WCE’s horrific away record over the past few years; you would expect a healthy win to the WBFC.

WB to win by 53 points.

Go dogs!!!

DOG GOD
03-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Well done Bulldogtragic....good review. I would only have 1 thing to change in your match ups. I would play Morris on LeCras. He is their most dangerous fwd, so i think Morris would be better for him.

bornadog
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Well done Bulldogtragic....good review. I would only have 1 thing to change in your match ups. I would play Morris on LeCras. He is their most dangerous fwd, so i think Morris would be better for him.

Well done BT

Agree, maybe a bit strong overhead for Harbrow.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys. I tossed up over the Morris matchup, I wish we had a few of Morris :).

I like Morris on Kennedy for height, athleticism and mobility, Morris could go to Lecras but then Hargy or Tommy has to get Kennedy. I think Kennedy would beat Tommy and i'm not sure about Hargy on him as he would have to play him a little closer and I like Hargy's free spirit this year. Perhaps Hargy to Lecras, but I think Harbrow could hurt them the other way more. A little left of centre, but worth debating.

DOG GOD
03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
If Morris can't take leCras, then definately Hargy. I think Harbrow would be too lose and like Bornadog said, Lecras would be too good overhead for Harbrow.

Would it be a thought to maybe play a defensive fwd on Wirrapunda. (addison) He generates ALOT of run, and is normally quite damaging against us with his rebound run.

Will be interesting to see if weagles try to stretch us and play Lynch, Wilson and kennedy in their fwd 50.

bulldogsman
03-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys. I tossed up over the Morris matchup, I wish we had a few of Morris :).

I like Morris on Kennedy for height, athleticism and mobility, Morris could go to Lecras but then Hargy or Tommy has to get Kennedy. I think Kennedy would beat Tommy and i'm not sure about Hargy on him as he would have to play him a little closer and I like Hargy's free spirit this year. Perhaps Hargy to Lecras, but I think Harbrow could hurt them the other way more. A little left of centre, but worth debating.

I think Hargrave would match-up the best on him in that he's fairly similar to Medhurst and S Johnson. That said they will probably play Morris on him to try and free Hargrave up a bit as they have done this year.

Williams vs Kennedy
Morris vs LeCras
Lake vs Lynch/NickNat
Hargrave vs Wilson (Anyone know where he plays? FF? HF?)

DOG GOD
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I reckon they will play Wilson as the FF and use Lynch in that roving type role he has played recently. Kennedy as the customed CHF.

Rocco Jones
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Morris to Lecras.

We like to find match ups for Shaggy that he can exploit going the other way. Lecras would require too much attention from Shaggy and rob us of his rebound. Lecras is ideal for Morris.

Rocco Jones
03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I reckon they will play Wilson as the FF and use Lynch in that roving type role he has played recently. Kennedy as the customed CHF.

They have a super tall forward line. Looks like Shaggy will have to play on a taller opponent, I think we can really use it to our advantage. Similar to his games against Port and North.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-08-2009, 08:07 PM
They have a super tall forward line. Looks like Shaggy will have to play on a taller opponent, I think we can really use it to our advantage. Similar to his games against Port and North.

I would like to see Everitt get a Job ahead of Shaggy, for two reasons.

Shaggy has had a very good year and can really hurt on the overlap, and I think that Everitt plays better when he gets a task and we really need to see how he handles himself on the 3rd best forward.

boydogs
03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
If Harbrow does not play on LeCras (which I agree with - too good overhead) who does he play on - forward this week?

Mantis
03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I would like to see Everitt get a Job ahead of Shaggy, for two reasons.

Shaggy has had a very good year and can really hurt on the overlap, and I think that Everitt plays better when he gets a task and we really need to see how he handles himself on the 3rd best forward.

Can you give some examples of when this has occurred?

Dry Rot
03-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Good preview BT.

If Natuini (sp?) plays in the ruck, will his mobility be a problem for us?

mighty_west
03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Good preview BT.

Not if Minson & Huddo rough him up a bit.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Good preview BT.

I don't think NikNat will be too much of a handful. I think the aim of the game has to be a strong physical contest, something he didn't get against Essendon.

Re: Lecras. 'On the Couch' reviewed his game and he stitched up Fletcher by running in the midfield and floating forward occasionally. He simply out ran Fletcher and found ways to get away from him with 25 touches and 3 goals. This was his modus operandi for the last few weeks. if he is going to play the same way is Morris the best fit?

mjp
03-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Match-ups:

Wirrpunda has been playing forward. Aker will end up with someone like Hurn on him...I am not really clear on their backline apart from saying Glass, Hurn, Brown and Mackenzie will all be down there. Looking at that list, they may need to change their squad and bring in an extra small.

LeCras is too good on the lead for Harbrow - Harbrow will end up on Wirrpunda. Morris to take LeCras. Williams should take Kennedy with Lake to take young Wilson. I hope we play Gilbee on Mackinlay rather than Hargrave - Hargrave still seems a better bet on crumbers than marking players to me.

West Coast are MASSIVE - they will throw a heap of height up forward to try and unsettle our plans - add Lynch and potentially Brown to Wilson and Kennedy - and Mackinlay must be 190'ish as well.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Match-ups:

Wirrpunda has been playing forward. Aker will end up with someone like Hurn on him...I am not really clear on their backline apart from saying Glass, Hurn, Brown and Mackenzie will all be down there. Looking at that list, they may need to change their squad and bring in an extra small.

LeCras is too good on the lead for Harbrow - Harbrow will end up on Wirrpunda. Morris to take LeCras. Williams should take Kennedy with Lake to take young Wilson. I hope we play Gilbee on Mackinlay rather than Hargrave - Hargrave still seems a better bet on crumbers than marking players to me.

West Coast are MASSIVE - they will throw a heap of height up forward to try and unsettle our plans - add Lynch and potentially Brown to Wilson and Kennedy - and Mackinlay must be 190'ish as well.
Surely we can match their height with Lake, Tommy, Andreajs, Hargy, Morris. Or do you think we need to look at bringing in another tall defender? With Tiller sidelined for so long, that would only leave Boumann as Wight's time has passed...

comrade
03-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Surely we can match their height with Lake, Tommy, Andreajs, Hargy, Morris. Or do you think we need to look at bringing in another tall defender? With Tiller sidelined for so long, that would only leave Boumann as Wight's time has passed...

Stop it :)

bulldogtragic
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Stop it :)
I'm sorry Comrade, you wont sleep tonight thinking of Bou in the Red, White and Blue.

Just repeat after Austin Powers now, "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day. Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day". That should help dampen the excitement :)

Scraggers
03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Not if Minson & Huddo rough him up a bit.

Agreed ... in the last couple of weeks against the more agressive ruckmen (in particular Brogan from PAP) Naitanui did very little ... but against Patrick Ryder he dominated both in the ruck and around the ground.

He is very mobile and has a great verticle leap ... but at this stage of his career he can be bullied

mjp
04-08-2009, 01:21 AM

I actually have a theory that so few pack marks get taken that it really doesn't matter if your defenders are conceding a few inches - with the proviso that you need a good 'help' defender (Milburn style) prepared to zone off their opponent and help out.

Unless the tall is absolute class - and West Coast dont have any of those - in which case you simply have to have a size/shape match-up. Lead-up forwards with good kicking/decision making skills (such as Murphy) are the most dangerous players in modern footy.

Mantis
04-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Match-ups:

If Lynch also starts forward how do you think we will we change our match-ups?

Also bt or mjp,

Will we allow Priddis to run free? Although he can be wayward with his kicking can we allow him to run around un-marked as he will definitely pick up 30+ touches and you would think that atleast some of these would be influential.

mjp
04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Lake has to take Lynch if he is there. Williams stays on Kennedy, Morris on LeCras. We would simply have to play Shaggy on Wilson.

Priddis is an inside-player so not much point in tagging him - it wont help. The biggest issue with his kicking is he simply throws the ball on the boot without assessing his options...he isn't a great kick, but needs to become more of a hand-ball first player.

Mantis
04-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Priddis is an inside-player so not much point in tagging him - it wont help. The biggest issue with his kicking is he simply throws the ball on the boot without assessing his options...he isn't a great kick, but needs to become more of a hand-ball first player.

In West Coast's latest game against Essendon Priddis had 35 touches which included 26 handballs so maybe he has already taken your advice on board (You must have a lot of influence over there)

As well as being a good contested player I also feel that he wins a lot of un-contested possessions so I am hoping that one of our run with players puts a bit of time into him.

Mofra
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I actually have a theory that so few pack marks get taken that it really doesn't matter if your defenders are conceding a few inches - with the proviso that you need a good 'help' defender (Milburn style) prepared to zone off their opponent and help out.

Unless the tall is absolute class - and West Coast dont have any of those - in which case you simply have to have a size/shape match-up. Lead-up forwards with good kicking/decision making skills (such as Murphy) are the most dangerous players in modern footy.
In 2006(?) Lindsay Gilbee was the only Bulldog to play on an opposition ruckman from each other team in the competition. It appears Eade would agree with your theory.

Ozza
04-08-2009, 04:38 PM
It may well have been said already - but interesting to note that Aker said after Saturday's game that we are in the middle of an intensive training program - with the Freo and WCE games set out as the period where we would lift training and sacrifice some run during games.

Perhaps some of our more negative suporters on Saturday saw that vision.

LostDoggy
05-08-2009, 11:25 AM
We like to find match ups for Shaggy that he can exploit going the other way. Lecras would require too much attention from Shaggy and rob us of his rebound. Lecras is ideal for Morris.

Agree with this -- Shaggy has been burnt quite a few times when he's tried to play too loose. Even against Freo last week the main problem defensively for the Dogs was the number of uncontested marks they were allowed to get in their forward half, especially two or so kicks from goal. Most of these were through Shaggy's opponent as he would play ten-metres-plus loose, often losing tabs in traffic or quick ball movement from the Freo mids (is this an oxymoron?).

Bumper Bulldogs
05-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Can you give some examples of when this has occurred?

Hasn't been this year but his year in 2007 was very good and he ran off 1/2 back being the link up player. Thought he was going to be a good weapon for us.

Desipura
06-08-2009, 09:20 AM
In 2006(?) Lindsay Gilbee was the only Bulldog to play on an opposition ruckman from each other team in the competition. It appears Eade would agree with your theory.
Err Wallace had the same theory by playing Smith on Robran, look what happened!:mad:

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm just glad Hunter is out.
I hate that guy, and just to rub it in, he always seems to have a cracker against us.

bornadog
06-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I hate that guy, and just to rub it in, he always seems to have a cracker against us.

Yes who can forget that semi final in 2006 when he killed us both ends of the ground.

Mantis
06-08-2009, 11:09 AM

He has hardly played a decent game since the final bornadog refers too. His shoulders are shot and he would have to be a big chance to give it away at the end of this season.

Hunter's biggest claim to fame in the last 3 years would be shitting himself after trying to confront Barry Hall after Staker had been belted.

The Coon Dog
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Hunter's biggest claim to fame in the last 3 years would be shitting himself after trying to confront Barry Hall after Staker had been belted.

You can't hang a bloke for that, if he stuck around he was likely to receive one as well. Discretion is sometimes the better part of valour.

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I seem to remember him driving some nails into our coffin in round 4.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Key Match-ups:

Embley v Griffen: Embley is a quality player and over the past few weeks has been running his guts out. Griffen for me hasn’t taken the next step this year and another run with role with a very good athlete and footballer is in order. Griffen will have to be on his game, but has the skills to do the stopping job on Embley and do significant damage the other way. With so much inexperience in the WCE midfield, stopping one of their senior runners would be a good step with the designated stopped to pick up Priddis or Swift.

Kennedy v Morris: I really like the look of young Kennedy. The forgotten man of the Judd trade has put together a solid year. A tallish forward option and a hard running player, Kennedy has many strings to his bow to make his the subject of a good defender. No better WB defender is better than Dale Morris. Tall, yet fast and agile with a good motor, the glove is the man for the job. While Tommy and Lake will destroy the hap-hazard Lynch and young NikNat, Kennedy could be a key part of their forward set-up. So I say give Kennedy one of the hardest roles in footy and shut them down.

Lecras v Harbrow: I’d like to see Harbrow pick Lecras up. Lecras can be a very, very dangerous forward. However, Harbrow has the speed to go with Lecras on the lead, and last week against Essendon, Lecras worked up the ground a bit more trying to play further up like Brad Johnson has been playing. Harbrow has the speed and skills to stay with Lecras both in deep defence and up the ground. If Lecras wants to play further up Harbrow can wander up too, and add his dash and foot skills towards the midfield. For mine, Harbrow offers a good defensive option on Lecras and a very good counter attacking option.

None of these matchups occured. They got 100 possies and kicked 11 goals. I'm not saying the match-ups i guessed would have changed anything, but it was clear Embley needed to be shut down and he wasn't. And it was obvious Lecras would play up the ground and be more dangerous, and Shaggy didn't play him close enough. And it was obvious to deaf, dumb and mute persons in comas that Tommy would be slaughtered by Kennedy, and he was. Disappointing tactics and matchups one could argue.