PDA

View Full Version : Aker on Fox Sports ON The Couch - Tonight

bornadog
03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Aker is the guest tonight for those that have Fox Sports.

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Just switched over to watch it, wrapped now.

G-Mo77
03-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Fell asleep and woke up after his segment :mad:

Mantis
03-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Did anyone watch it and could share what was discussed?

Be interested if they spoke about playing on next year.

GVGjr
03-08-2009, 10:49 PM
He did talk about playing on next year but didn't give a strong indication. He fielded the questions well. What he did indicate was a willingness to play for less money because he thought guys like Lake, Hargrave and Higgins deserved a larger slice of the pie.
He want's to wait until the end of the season and I guess a few other options to see if he will put himself through the rigors again.

He talk a bit about how much he rates Johnson now but acknowledged that it wasn't there in the first season.
He also talked about Matthews, Brisbane and doing a few things like the Braun and Carey comments a bit differently if he had his time over but he isn't one to dwell on it.

Very impressive the way he deflected Sheehan's attempts to grab a headline from him.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Mostly Brisbane and 'relationships' with Brisbane people and comparing clubs. Standard crap, surely they can find better things to talk about. It was 4 years ago????

The only interesting thing, and very intersting it was, was that he sounds like he wants to play next year, but he said the club needed to make decisions. When pressed he said Lake, Hargrave and Higgins need bigger cheques. And that they need spare cash to lure Barry Hall if they go down that path. Therefore as he is on a big salary the club needs to weigh up how much it could offer him. He said he wanted the club to sign up the future which was younger long term players. From there he would look at what the club could offer and weigh that up against what he could do in other areas of his life. He indicated he would only play one more year and the focus needed to be signing up good players on better contracts. But it was clear to me he wants to play on, it's just about what we can offer him and whether another preseason and season of trainig is worth the offer compared to TV and writing deals and spending more time with family.

A good team attitude.

LostDoggy
03-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Im typing little points as im watching the delayed telecast and quoting what's significant

Talked about how he was heavier last year and that the wife had to hide the Tim Tams..
Mike asked whether he could work with Leigh Matthews if he was to go into the media after his career, which in short he could.
Hirdy asked him whether he could coach..Will know more about that 12 months on from being out of the game.
Doesn't really believe in tanking but aware of Wallace and how you could say 'Intentionally not winning'
Issues with playing on next year from the club: salary cap. Mentioned "if Hall was in thats a factor", Lake, Shaggy & Higgins "guys who deserve more of the pie" "im only short term".
Will look at pros and cons with life vs footy at end of the year.
Regrets about Carey & Braun? "Regrets are for fools"
About Johnno: Heart & Soul of the club.
Last Question: Least appreciated player @ the dogs? 'Boyd, Cross & Morris' amazing workrates

mjp
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
All Sheehan's questions were about the Bears and Matthews...He answered the questions well I guess, but is it too much to ask that just for once he says 'Look, that all happened 3 years ago - I have moved on, Leigh has moved on...I love the club I am at today and just want to focus on that'?

I know he is looking after his post footy revenue stream, but do people still actually care about everything that happened during the 2006 season?

AndrewP6
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Aker spoke about his relationship with Leigh Matthews (for the 1000th time!), saying he wants to be able to get on with him, as they may work together in the media. Talked about going from Brisbane, where they had lots of staff, resources, to the Dogs who initially were the opposite, but that the Dogs have improved in this area.

Asked whether he's thought about coaching, Aker said he has thought about it, but has to weigh up its demands, and said you need to be passionate about it. Sounded to me like he isn't!

Talked about the respect the club and those inside it have for Johnno. Named Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross and Dale Morris as being the most underrated by outsiders, praised their strong work ethic. Also said he could've named others, apologised to those who he didn't name - Aker the diplomat!

Was fairly non-committal re: playing on, saying he will have to weigh that up, and that his view often changes. Was asked whether he has any regrets, and responded that maybe he might've done things a bit differently, but that "regrets are for fools"... he must really get sick of the same questions - I've heard that answer at least 10 times!

AndrewP6
03-08-2009, 10:58 PM
All Sheehan's questions were about the Bears and Matthews...He answered the questions well I guess, but is it too much to ask that just for once he says 'Look, that all happened 3 years ago - I have moved on, Leigh has moved on...I love the club I am at today and just want to focus on that'?

I know he is looking after his post footy revenue stream, but do people still actually care about everything that happened during the 2006 season?

This is the fault of the "hosts" -they ask him the same questions over and over! I feel if Aker took the "I've answered that already" approach, people would jump down his throat.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Aker might have to take cut to play onAugust 3, 2009 - 9:59PM

Western Bulldogs star Jason Akermanis admits he might have to take a massive pay cut if he is to play on in the AFL in 2010.

Akermanis, 32, and the Bulldogs are yet to decide whether he continues playing next year, but the Brownlow Medallist said his younger teammates deserved to be paid more than he was because they represented the club's future.

Asked on FoxSports on Monday night if he was prepared to accept a pay cut of 50 or 75 per cent, the 309-game veteran said: "That's what you'd need to decide, absolutely.

"And I have no problem with that because that's part of where I'm at with my football."

Despite his skill and experience, Akermanis said he still only represented a short-term option for the Bulldogs.

"You've clearly got a guy who's only going to play no more than 12 more months," he said.

"You've got perhaps (former Sydney forward) Barry Hall, who could come in and these factors, and then you've got Brian Lake, Ryan Hargrave and Shaun Higgins, guys who deserve more of the pie.

"While I may be in the top five players even now at the club, well, I'm only short-term and that's a decision for the club to make."

Source - © 2009 AAP found at www.theage.com.au

- Dropped a few subtle hints...

mjp
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
This is the fault of the "hosts" -they ask him the same questions over and over! I feel if Aker took the "I've answered that already" approach, people would jump down his throat.

Like I say - we will never know what people will do because he ALWAYS answers the question.

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Like I say - we will never know what people will do because he ALWAYS answers the question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog

The Scorpion and the Frog is a fable of unknown author, though often mis-attributed to Aesop.[1] The story is about a scorpion asking a frog to carry him across a river. The frog is afraid of being stung, but the scorpion reassures him that if it stung the frog, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown as well. The frog then agrees; nevertheless, in mid-river, the scorpion stings him, dooming the two of them. When asked why, the scorpion explains, "I'm a scorpion; it's my nature."

bornadog
04-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Pretty pathetic journalism, surely they could have talked more about this year and where we are going etc etc. I thought the questions were boring and of no interest to anyone.

strebla
04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog

The Scorpion and the Frog is a fable of unknown author, though often mis-attributed to Aesop.[1] The story is about a scorpion asking a frog to carry him across a river. The frog is afraid of being stung, but the scorpion reassures him that if it stung the frog, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown as well. The frog then agrees; nevertheless, in mid-river, the scorpion stings him, dooming the two of them. When asked why, the scorpion explains, "I'm a scorpion; it's my nature."

I love it hit the nail on the head BR well done

The Pie Man
04-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I'll acknowledge the questions weren't great last night (as they often aren't from that panel) though I did enjoy the interview nevertheless.

* Interesting how much weight he's lost and that it was deliberate given late season fade in form he suffered in 08 (played great on Saturday)

* That the biggest thing the Dogs will have to concentrate on in September is pressure on the opposition, particularly when they don't have possession - to quote 'because offensively, we're fine'

* That he still considers himself in the top 5 players at the club - and I agree with him

LostDoggy
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone - I don't have Fox so it was great to be able to learn what Aker said! I, for one, hope that he gets a gurnsey next year ;)

Sedat
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Apart from Joel Selwood, no player has performed better out of the 2006 national draft/trade week group than Aker. He has been absolutely sensational for us. Plenty of doomsayers were writing off the trade before it had begun, due to his age/injury concerns in 2006 and his potential to destabilise our playing group. Not too many dissenting voices now.

strebla
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Can someone remind me who Brisbane got with the traded pick???

bulldogtragic
04-08-2009, 06:40 PM
The kid got delisted last year!

chef
04-08-2009, 06:49 PM

Pick 34 which they used on Chris Schmidt.

mighty_west
04-08-2009, 07:26 PM

We would have taken Nathan Krackour [Port] who ended up until pick 39.

Sockeye Salmon
04-08-2009, 10:19 PM
We would have taken Nathan Krackour [Port] who ended up until pick 39.

And probably wouldn't have picked up Josh Hill.

We were also keen on Simon Hogan (Geelong).