PDA

View Full Version : Eade calls for abolition of priority pick

The Coon Dog
04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Eade calls for abolition of priority pick (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82012/default.aspx)

By Jennifer Witham 3:03 PM Tue 04 August, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has weighed into the tanking debate, calling on the League to abolish the priority pick.

Eade said the League should shelve the priority selection for clubs that have struggled for consecutive years, to eliminate the perception lowly-ranked teams don't try to win games towards the end of the year.

However, he rejected calls for the draft to feature an NBA-style lottery citing the Bulldogs' finish in 2007, where they finished fourth with nine and a half wins as evidence that they didn't deserve first pick in the draft.

"I think there would have to be some sort of qualification if you're going to go the lottery system," Eade said concerned that the lottery may continue tanking speculation.

"If it is the bottom four and you're fifth last, then do you tank to finish fourth last with a chance of getting first pick?

"I think if you finish last, you get the first pick and that's it. Take the priority away."

Rest of article (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82012/default.aspx)

bornadog
04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Sockeye Salmon
04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
It's not that hard, is it?

bulldogtragic
04-08-2009, 09:09 PM
It is if your a CEO who assertively suggest there is no problem. Seriously though, is AD the only person in and around AFL that thinks or argues there is no problem. The graphic on 'On the Couch' with all the mis-matchups from the dees was almost 'proof absolute' that tanking is live and well in our game.

Mantis
04-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Remember who you dealing with.

Sockeye Salmon
04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
It is if your a CEO who assertively suggest there is no problem. Seriously though, is AD the only person in and around AFL that thinks or argues there is no problem. The graphic on 'On the Couch' with all the mis-matchups from the dees was almost 'proof absolute' that tanking is live and well in our game.

KB.

I'm sure I saw AD's hand fair up KB's arse and making his lips move.

If KB is going to kiss AD's arse every time he opens his mouth his credibility is zero. I know he likes his rules committee job and AD is his boss, but FFS...

bulldogtragic
04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
KB.

I'm sure I saw AD's hand fair up KB's arse and making his lips move.

If KB is going to kiss AD's arse every time he opens his mouth his credibility is zero. I know he likes his rules committee job and AD is his boss, but FFS...
I know, I can't stand KB. But spinelessness is creeping in, especially with AD on this issue. Last year i couldn't stand the arrogance of Grant Thomas but i've come to acquire his comments as independent thought and offering criticism if its warranted - something other commentators seemingly wont do as a generalisation. Such as when Sheehan was putting the acid on AD on 3AW two weeks ago and ALL the other commentators kept their mouths firmly shut. What ever happened to having your beliefs and standing by comments. Is AD really that scary?

Sockeye Salmon
04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
I know, I can't stand KB. But spinelessness is creeping in, especially with AD on this issue. Last year i couldn't stand the arrogance of Grant Thomas but i've come to acquire his comments as independent thought and offering criticism if its warranted - something other commentators seemingly wont do as a generalisation. Such as when Sheehan was putting the acid on AD on 3AW two weeks ago and ALL the other commentators kept their mouths firmly shut. What ever happened to having your beliefs and standing by comments. Is AD really that scary?

Thomas has turned into the best footy commentator on TV, but look what happened to his radio career when he critised AD.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Thomas has turned into the best footy commentator on TV, but look what happened to his radio career when he critised AD.
A very Stalin-esq / Mao-esq move by the AFL to make noises that ended his radio career. But i'm glad Archer turned out to be no good because the 8 minutes Thomas speaks on footy classified is the best 8 minutes of commentary for the week by any journo or commentator.

BulldogBelle
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Anyone think West Coast are tanking now?

Glad we play them this week

If there was a time to tank, it would have been this season or last season, prior to the GC17 and WS18

Remi Moses
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
this has to happen as the scrutiny is just out of control. Agree about Thomas although that was childish to say ''diddums'' re. fixture change r22. Surely it's fair to allow top 4 sides at least a 6 day break for the finals.

Desipura
06-08-2009, 10:19 AM
funny how no one from here was calling for it to be scrapped when we got the priority picks.

The Coon Dog
06-08-2009, 10:22 AM
funny how no one from here was calling for it to be scrapped when we got the priority picks.

It wasn't as apparent that sides were deliberately losing then as it is now.

Also, there is so much more incentive to tank now with upcoming compromised drafts.

Its now become a blight on the game!

Desipura
06-08-2009, 11:15 AM
It wasn't as apparent that sides were deliberately losing then as it is now.

Also, there is so much more incentive to tank now with upcoming compromised drafts.

Its now become a blight on the game!
So other clubs did it in a less deliberate way in the past? I can recall Malthouse wrapping up some players in cotton wool before the season had finished. Got Pendles & Thomas out of it.
Agree there is more incentive now however I still think it should be retained but not in its current format. A team that has finished on the bottom of the ladder over a 3 year period would have fair grounds for a priority. The only problem I see is if we put "x" amount of games against it, we will be back to square one where clubs will be doing everything in that 3rd year to lose.

The Coon Dog
06-08-2009, 11:38 AM
So other clubs did it in a less deliberate way in the past?

Also, the level of scrutiny wasn't as great as it is today.

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Seems a no brainer whether coaching staff are or are not tanking supporters will always think they are being cheated.Will prospective high draft picks start tanking when they know they might have to go interstate or clubs contact high player picks to fake an injury and guarantee that they will pick him up.Just how far can the system be manipulated

Sockeye Salmon
06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I went to a round 22 game v Essendon wnting to lose.

That was the first time I commented that PP were a disgrace.

Topdog
06-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Actually I was but Woof wasn't created back then. Much like how I think that the new father son rule is good even though we are worse off for it.

Desipura
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Actually I was but Woof wasn't created back then. Much like how I think that the new father son rule is good even though we are worse off for it.
How, by it being increased from 50 games to 100 games? We missed out on Reid. Not to sure what you mean?

Topdog
06-08-2009, 03:16 PM
[/B]
How, by it being increased from 50 games to 100 games? We missed out on Reid. Not to sure what you mean?

The drafting side of things. No longer just a third round pick.

Desipura
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
The drafting side of things. No longer just a third round pick.
the only way to soften the blow is to produce 2 father/sons in the same draft. Oh wait, it looks like we will be in 2010;)

Mantis
06-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I went to a round 22 game v Essendon wnting to lose.

That was the first time I commented that PP were a disgrace.

As did I.

It was a weird day, Cooney showed some great signs, we were competitive, but we lost and ended up with a PP.

I actually walked out happy which isn't the way it should be.

Sockeye Salmon
06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
[/B]

Reid's younger brother is in the draft this year, as well.

Murray Rance played 60 games, so we missed out on Alex Rance.

We will miss out on Joe Groenewegen this year.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Reid's younger brother is in the draft this year, as well.

Murray Rance played 60 games, so we missed out on Alex Rance.

We will miss out on Joe Groenewegen this year.
How many games did John Brown's old man play for the roy boys?

Mantis
06-08-2009, 09:24 PM
How many games did John Brown's old man play for the roy boys?

Pretty sure it was 51

Desipura
07-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I remember Steven Lawrence's dad had to play one game in the QAFL for his son to qualify as a father/son. At 55yo, it was rather bizarre to see him pull on a jumper. He sat on the interchange bench for the whole day.

aker39
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
As did I.

It was a weird day, Cooney showed some great signs, we were competitive, but we lost and ended up with a PP.

I actually walked out happy which isn't the way it should be.

I decided not to go to the game. There was no way I was going to a game of football and barracking for Essendon.

Desipura
07-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I decided not to go to the game. There was no way I was going to a game of football and barracking for Essendon.
Are you sure about that? How about the round 22 game in 2005 where we needed them to beat Melbourne for us to make the 8?
In actual fact I went to the game.

aker39
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Are you sure about that? How about the round 22 game in 2005 where we needed them to beat Melbourne for us to make the 8?

Yes, I was barracking for them that day. But I didn't go to the game, and they certainly weren't playing the dogs.;)

Sedat
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Evidently Melbourne screwed us 2 weeks in a row

aker39
07-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Evidently Melbourne screwed us 2 weeks in a row

No, my best mate screwed us the week before.