PDA

View Full Version : My dilemma

Mantis
06-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Woofers,

Ok, I have a little dilemma on my hands that I need some sound advice on. (I think I have come to the right place)

How confident are we all that we are going to win the big dance this year?

A little background first, since I became a legal drinker (and probably before) I have always maintained that when we win the flag I would go on a week long bender to celebrate this momentous occasion.... fair enough too.

So my dilemma is that my wonderful workplace are wanting me to be shipped off to Wagga Wagga the day after the GF for a conference. Now this conference is usually pretty good with plenty of time for networking (drinking sessions) and the like, but the day after the GF and Wagga Wagga of all places.

So what do I tell them (I have til Monday)?? Do I tell them to shove it as I want to plant my arse in the middle of the WO for the entire week to get shitfaced or do I tell them I am happy to head off to Wagga Wagga knowing full well that this year isn't ours?

Mantis

bornadog
06-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Are you able to tell them that you are going to Wagga Wagga, but when we win the Grand final, do a last minute can't make it as you are sick:D

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Oohh the day after, thats tough, i thought leaving on the Tuesday after grand final to go to Europe was going to be tough, think you a little worse off...

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
This is our year so tell the job runs second

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Woofers,

Ok, I have a little dilemma on my hands that I need some sound advice on. (I think I have come to the right place)

A little background first, since I became a legal drinker (and probably before) I have always maintained that when we win the flag I would go on a week long bender to celebrate this momentous occasion.... fair enough too.

So my dilemma is that my wonderful workplace are wanting me to be shipped off to Wagga Wagga the day after the GF for a conference. Now this conference is usually pretty good with plenty of time for networking (drinking sessions) and the like, but the day after the GF and Wagga Wagga of all places.

So what do I tell them (I have til Monday)?? Do I tell them to shove it as I want to plant my arse in the middle of the WO for the entire week to get shitfaced or do I tell them I am happy to head off to Wagga Wagga knowing full well that this year isn't ours?

Mantis

Wagga Wagga?

Why why there there?

Sedat
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Woofers,

Mantis
Got a similar problem Mantis, albeit I don't have a choice in the matter. For the last 2 years I've had to fly to London (to an industry trade fair) on Grand Final weekend - I flew late Sunday night last year and late Grand Final night in 2007. The trade fair is on at the same time in London again this year, which means I am already booked to fly out late Sunday night again. So if we happen to win the big dance, I'll have to please myself with the Saturday night shenanigans, followed by family day at the kennel on the Sunday. On the plus side, if you are off on a week-long conference the day after the GF, you will have ample opportunity to gloat to your work colleagues, which would be very enjoyable in itself. For mine, the night of the GF and the day after are non-negotiables, so if you can squeeze the Sunday out of the equation and go to the conference on Monday instead, at least you'll get to enjoy the 2 high watermarks of a premiership.

1eyedog
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Wagga Wagga? You reckon you've got problems! I have just been transferred to Newcastle and start on August 17 (Round 20). That means I'll have to come from Newcastle to attend a Grand Final (if applicable) fill up on God's Amber and then high tail back to work on a Sunday night plane to front up on Monday. I do not think I can talk a Boss around who loves League to give me Monday off. So QUIT your whinging:D

Mofra
06-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Mantis,

A couple of quick clarifying questions:

a. Are you presenting at this conference or maintaining some sort of stall or set up?
b. How highly do you rate the necessity of your cognitive during this conference?

I'm not sure any hangover (and like most I've had some doozies) could take the shine off a GF victory, although the thinking "straight part" part would be damn hard.

comrade
06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Go and enjoy the conference – it’s not as if grand final celebrations are rare for Bulldog supporters ;)

aker39
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Mantis, don't worry, we'll still be drinking when you get back. You can join us at the Buckingham.

I'm quite lucky in regards to this as my boss is a bulldog supporter and we have both told the other staff in the office not to expect to see us for a week.

I do know a Swans supporter who went home for about 3 hours out of the next 72 hours after the 2005 GF.

Mantis
06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Response's:

EJ - Yep, what a shithole. To make things worse the conference is being held at the uni some 15km out of town so it's a bus there in the morning and a bus back at night.

Sedat - No work colleagues going. Just industry folk who are about as much fun as hanging around with Collingwood supporters.

Mofra - Not presenting, but I am pretty sure the company I work for will be sponsoring the welcome mixer on the Sunday night so I will need to be able to make some resembalance of a speech at that. For the rest I will spend a fair bit of time snoozing.

comrade - Yep, I could always wait for the next one.. It shouldn't be too long between flags now will it.:rolleyes:

I have put a little bit of research into it and I can get a flight at about 3.30pm on the Sunday, that gives me a little bit of time to celebrate.

I could always go down the bornadog path and commit now and pull a sicky if the day comes. Perhaps I might even drive there on the Monday night... That would be fun after 48hrs on the sauce.

The Pie Man
06-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't know if I'd be in a fit state to function, let alone fly should we win the GF - I along with many of you will be a dead-set joke for days - say if we made it and lost, interstate's probably not a bad place to be to escape it.

If we do make a GF, do you drink during the game? I/We'll be so nervous so a few ales may calm the tension, but I wouldn't want to miss anything if it's turning out well.

The Coon Dog
06-08-2009, 02:42 PM
You could always hope Eagleton plays, solves your dilemma! ;)

Scraggers
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Hey Mantis ... I hate to say it; I think you are pretty safe ... :(

I honestly believe we have as much chance as any top 4 side (regardless of St.Kilda's dominance at this stage of the year), but I think we need one more year ...

2010 will be our year !!

Go to Wagga Wagga (the place so nice they named it twice)

OR

Go to Wagga Wagga regardless ... drink / cavort / get tattooed ... what ever it takes to make the celebration / commiseration memorable

The Pie Man
06-08-2009, 02:50 PM
You could always hope Eagleton plays, solves your dilemma! ;)

Imagine if he kicked a sealing goal too - I've always had this image of Skipper taking a big grab late and deep in our forward line to seal it (ever since the St Kilda draw I think) but that's slowly slipping away from ever becoming reality

Rocket Science
06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Pfft. By all means wriggle out of the conference, but don't bank on the Dogs giving you an outstanding excuse to do so.

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
lol - go on the conference dude.

Desipura
06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Get one of the geeks on here to take their PC to the Whitten Oval and we will set you up with a live stream. Get that camera thing happening with the pc and you will get to see everyone celebrating and we will get to see you drinking by your pc as if you are really there. That way you will not miss out on anything. Problem solved!

mighty_west
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
1. Being Doggies supporters, do we REALLY think w'll even get there let alone come first place in the big dance off?

2. Say a miracle does happen, and the planets align, the team is touched by the hand of god, Eagleton steps up in a big game & so on, you would really want to remember all the important things on the day, knowing that this day could never happen again in our lifetime, stay sober for most parts, get to Wagga Wagga, then the loose, i mean, we all know, when in a state of conciousness, and one cloudy enough for letting loose for a momentum occasion such as this one, would you really remember where you were getting messy...cough, i mean drinking in the first place?

3. Just get totally hammered straight after the game when we make it back to back in 2010...;)

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Prince Charles had to go to Wagga Wagga once, to open an animal shelter. Anyway, he asked his Mum what to wear. She replied, "Wagga Wagga? Wear the fox hat."

The Coon Dog
06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
, "Wagga Wagga? Wear the fox hat."

Boom tish, read it slowly.

Ozza
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
If the flight is late enough on the Sunday you can still have a pretty good night enjoying the GF win if we happen to do it! I know you're committed to the week long bender....but its a long summer too!

LostDoggy
06-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Mantis, I'd go to the conference. It's not like you'll miss the game - if we do make it. If we win I think you'd get sufficient celebrating in by staying at the Whitten Oval all night and leaving at 1.30pm on the Sunday - should get you to your flight on time. WE CAN ONLY HOPE THERE IS A DILEMMA!!!! :)

Dry Rot
06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey Mantis ... I hate to say it; I think you are pretty safe ... :(

Agreed. Indeed, you may be free to go a week or two earlier than the GF.

The Adelaide Connection
06-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I feel for you mate. I too have a dilemna, a little different to yours though. It seems my girlfriend had the bad manners to be born on the 26th of September and she is a Crows fan. Last year I booked "a holiday" to Melbourne on GF weekend just in case but that excuse will not wash and she has already said that she doesn't want to spend her birthday in Melbourne again and thinks she should come first this year.

I am secretly sitting on flights for me, if we make it we may just have to break up I guess. It has been nice knowing her. ;)

DOG GOD
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
:) thats right Adelaide C...theres plenty more fish in the sea...premierships however....

strebla
06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
If anyone expects me to be even mildly intewrested about anyting after we the big dance they have no idea what a bulldog supporter is!! Play your cards close and make the call late.

AndrewP6
06-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Mantis,

Go to the conference. Get on the turps, block out all traces of the boredom. Methinks we're not going to get an invite to the big dance this year. I'll be thrilled if I'm made to eat my words! :)

Mantis
06-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I feel for you mate. I too have a dilemna, a little different to yours though. It seems my girlfriend had the bad manners to be born on the 26th of September and she is a Crows fan. Last year I booked "a holiday" to Melbourne on GF weekend just in case but that excuse will not wash and she has already said that she doesn't want to spend her birthday in Melbourne again and thinks she should come first this year.

I am secretly sitting on flights for me, if we make it we may just have to break up I guess. It has been nice knowing her. ;)

I like your style AC.

A true Bulldog fan who has his priorities well in order.

boydogs
06-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Can't believe you don't already have your leave application submitted and approved :D

Desipura
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM

"she's only a girlfriend man," its not as if you are married. Ok, thats not helping, how about you take her to dinner at a classy restaurant in Melbourne overlooking the MCG and book a room at the Hilton "va va ving", problem solved

Sockeye Salmon
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM

I use the theory that if I do something she won't like she'll be shitty for 2 hours, 2 day or 2 weeks.

From there it's just a case of estimating which it will be and is it worth the grief. In this instance, even if it was a 2-weeker it would still be worth the grief.

She'll get over it eventully, and if she doesn't ... que sera sera.

The Adelaide Connection
07-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I use the theory that if I do something she won't like she'll be shitty for 2 hours, 2 day or 2 weeks.

From there it's just a case of estimating which it will be and is it worth the grief. In this instance, even if it was a 2-weeker it would still be worth the grief.

She'll get over it eventully, and if she doesn't ... que sera sera.

Ha ha I like it. Hopefully it is two weeks, that'll give me sufficient party time in the event of a big win.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I think you can relax a little bit more now Mantis, unfortunately.

westdog54
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Mantis, my advice is this:

If it all should happen to fall into place, have a steady celebration on the night then save the bender for after the conference is finished.

I'm it a situation where I might have to work nightshift on GF day to guarantee the afternoon off, but if everything falls into place I'll count it as the lesser of 2 evils.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Mantis, my advice is this:

If it all should happen to fall into place, have a steady celebration on the night then save the bender for after the conference is finished.

I'm it a situation where I might have to work nightshift on GF day to guarantee the afternoon off, but if everything falls into place I'll count it as the lesser of 2 evils.
Make sure you're ready for the busiet shift you've ever had. Keep you OC handy and if you're after XPCA briefs, you can get as many as you can fit in. One of the bussiest shifts there is, if not the bussiest. Have fun!

Raw Toast
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Mantis, this is my understanding of how the footy universe works:

On no account plan for us to be in or win the GF, it's close to a guarantee of disappointment (to greatly understate it).

Then if we do win you'll either be so ecstatic that the conference is bearable and you find a way to keep the party going anyway, or you're struck by a mysterious illness that your dogs supporting gp writes you a note saying that you've got [Insert name of awful infectious disease] and would present an unconscionable risk to other conference delegates (but premiership winning delirium will protect other doggies barrackers).

Mantis
27-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Update time:

Well I'm off to Wagga Wagga.

The decision was made for me in the end which took all the fun out of it. I am supposedly heading up there on the Sunday for the welcoming function on the Sunday evening. However after the performances over the past 2 weeks I am already start to secretly put into place some contingency plans which might see me unable to travel on the Sunday (if you know what I mean)

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Mighty West: My dad is not a religious man, but he has a real expectation that seconds from the siren, when we're about to seal the winning goal in the GF, the earth will quake and hells fire will rise up and the apocalypse will be upon us.

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Mantis, this is my understanding of how the footy universe works:

On no account plan for us to be in or win the GF, it's close to a guarantee of disappointment (to greatly understate it).

Then if we do win you'll either be so ecstatic that the conference is bearable and you find a way to keep the party going anyway, or you're struck by a mysterious illness that your dogs supporting gp writes you a note saying that you've got [Insert name of awful infectious disease] and would present an unconscionable risk to other conference delegates (but premiership winning delirium will protect other doggies barrackers).

He he, My GP actually is a Bulldogs supporter - I'm sure he could write you a doctors certificate Mantis. ;)

Twodogs
27-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Mantis, don't worry, we'll still be drinking when you get back. You can join us at the Buckingham.

I'm quite lucky in regards to this as my boss is a bulldog supporter and we have both told the other staff in the office not to expect to see us for a week.

I'm planning to move in there for a few weeks.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Can you imagine the short term boom in the local alcohol economy after a GF win...

Twodogs
27-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Can you imagine the short term boom in the local alcohol economy after a GF win...

And tattooists.

Scraggers
27-08-2009, 12:17 PM
And tattooists.

Count me in for that one ... I've had the artwork (I want to get when we win) in my head for the last twenty years

Twodogs
27-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Count me in for that one ... I've had the artwork (I want to get when we win) in my head for the last twenty years

I've got one already but it would look even better updated with a 'premiers 2009' banner underneath!

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 01:17 PM

I am yet to get a tattoo - am saving it for when we win the flag. A little bulldog on my hip I think. Hopefully it happens before gravity sets in!! ;)

Scraggers
27-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I've got one already but it would look even better updated with a 'premiers 2009' banner underneath!

Me too ... I've got one on my bum ... every time we win a game (and I'm drunk) I drop my pants and say "Now you can kiss my Bulldog Ass"

But I want another ... Another Bulldog with as you say a Premiers 2009 banner under it

Scraggers
27-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I am yet to get a tattoo - am saving it for when we win the flag. A little bulldog on my hip I think. Hopefully it happens before gravity sets in!! ;)

It's too late for me gravity has taken hold ... ;)

If you are going on your hip you don't want a little Bulldog ... YOU WANT A BIG BULLDOG !

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 06:33 PM
It's too late for me gravity has taken hold ... ;)

If you are going on your hip you don't want a little Bulldog ... YOU WANT A BIG BULLDOG !

How about a BIG Bulldog with a BIG smile wearing a guernsey with no. 6 on it?! :D

LostDoggy
27-08-2009, 07:28 PM
I am yet to get a tattoo - am saving it for when we win the flag.

Haha i think a lot of us are......Myself and my dad have said once we win a flag we will go and get one together....i cant wait for that day.......

Curly5
27-08-2009, 08:15 PM
I will be cancelling EVERYTHING - birthdays, weddings, funerals, job, marriage - to celebrate at Whitten Oval for the next 48 hours. :)

bornadog
28-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I will be cancelling EVERYTHING - birthdays, weddings, funerals, job, marriage - to celebrate at Whitten Oval for the next 48 hours. :)

you mean 48 days:D

ledge
28-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I have a Bulldog tattoo on my shoulder, had it 18 years, a little faded but will no doubt get a recolour when we bring home the flag.

Desipura
28-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Dare I ask how you cancel someone's funeral :confused:

ledge
28-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Dare I ask how you cancel someone's funeral :confused:

All deaths related to any bulldog supporters will be held back until a week after the premiership, in short NO ONE is to die in this period.

Desipura
29-08-2009, 08:45 AM
in short NO ONE is to die in this period.
If we did finally manage to win the GF, I think a few elderly diehards might just see them finished!