PDA

View Full Version : I just had a horror thought

LostDoggy
07-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Was just reading through Mantis's thread 'My dilemma' http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5672 (good luck with your decision BTW Mantis)
But it just gave me a horrid thought...... say we do make it to the GF and play say St Kilda or Geelong, I have a few problems too:-
1. We won't get to see much of the game cause Seb will be back behind the MCG getting ready for his auskick stuff.
2. If we loose, how the hell am I gonna get Seb to wear an oppositions jumper when he's handing out the medals? Especially if it's a close game and we lost by only a point or something!!

Imagine Seb in a saints jumper while Aker and the boys are kneeling in tears on the other end of the ground. Makes me feel kinda ill to even thank about it!!

Ok Ok, I know the whole expereince will be so BIG for Seb that it will be more than enough just being there, but those two little points keep nagging at me. So, as much as I hate to say it I kinda hope we don't make it this year, in a really wierd kind of way. Does that make sense? I apologise if that's too selfish a though!
Don't get me too wrong though it'll be so so great for the club and the players to make it

The Coon Dog
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
I kinda hope we don't make it this year, in a really wierd kind of way. Does that make sense? I apologise if that's too selfish a though!

No, wash your mouth out! Sacrilege!! ;)

bornadog
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
So, as much as I hate to say it I kinda hope we don't make it this year, in a really wierd kind of way. Does that make sense?

We haven't played in a grand final since 1961, that was when I was about Sebs age. I think you should be elated if we make the GF and so should Seb, even if we lose. He won't understand it, but he may go through life not seeing a GF with the doggies in it. Its already hard enough to get into the GF with 16 teams now, let alone 18 in the next few years. Yes, I will be upset if we lose, but I want to enjoy the lead up to the GF, the GF parade, the joy of reading about the game in the paper for the whole week, discussing it here on WOOF, the anticipation of the big day etc etc.

Making the GF, you will cope and so will Seb;)

strebla
07-08-2009, 02:16 PM
He will deal with it i have been a member since 83 (only a baby compared to some here) and have never experienced grand final week and believe the players and supporters who have stuck fat for soooo long deserve it more than most clubs!!!

LostDoggy
07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Also, if we make it and lose:
Well that's a good platform for 2010.

Desipura
07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
We haven't played in a grand final since 1961, that was when I was about Sebs age. I think you should be elated if we make the GF and so should Seb, even if we lose. He won't understand it, but he may go through life not seeing a GF with the doggies in it. Its already hard enough to get into the GF with 16 teams now, let alone 18 in the next few years. Yes, I will be upset if we lose, but I want to enjoy the lead up to the GF, the GF parade, the joy of reading about the game in the paper for the whole week, discussing it here on WOOF, the anticipation of the big day etc etc.

Making the GF, you will cope and so will Seb;)

Gee, you look alot younger than that!

bornadog
07-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Gee, you look alot younger than that!

Thanks, given that I have suffered all those years, my face should be haggered by now:D

Desipura
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks, given that I have suffered all those years, my face should be haggered by now:D
I feel your pain buddy, although my pain started in 1978. I still have all the memberships from 1984 until now. Have said to myself if/when we make the big dance I would wear all of them around my neck on grand final day.

Sockeye Salmon
07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I have this mental picture of us winning the GF and seeing a 6yo boy jumping up and down on the dias doing a Tighe Kennelly Irish jig and high 5-ing Andrew Demetriou while Robert Murphy waits patiently for his premiership medallion.

bornadog
07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I have this mental picture of us winning the GF and seeing a 6yo boy jumping up and down on the dias doing a Tighe Kennelly Irish jig and high 5-ing Andrew Demetriou while Robert Murphy waits patiently for his premiership medallion.

No, I think that will be me:D

LostDoggy
07-08-2009, 05:47 PM

LOL :D That would be a sight to see :)

Thanks all, of course you're all right....we will cope. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything :o - paranoid brain sometimes.

A Winning Family day at WO would be fantastic on the Sunday, wouldn't it!

AndrewP6
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
GoDoggies, you raise a very good point here... some alternatives for you and Seb to ponder:

Seb flat out refuses to wear the 'evil' guernsey, finally agreeing to hold it in his hand. He storms up to the dais, drops the medallion on the floor, and steps on the foot of the waiting player, throwing the guernsey at him in disdain.

OR

Seb grabs the medallion (still refusing to wear the guernsey!) and takes off, medallion in hand, around the 'G' in a lap of defiance. He could even take off through the stands. No one could chase him, they'd all be killing themselves laughing.

There, a couple of options to consider. But under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Seb don an "evil" guernsey. It'd just be wrong.

LostDoggy
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I think Seb will cope even if we are the losing side on GF day. It's tough on a kid, but I have been following the dogs for 45 years, and I haven't seen a flag (didn't go to the 61 GF as I was too little). Perhaps it's character building or something, but we don't give up, us Dog's supporters. We hang tough :cool:

LostDoggy
07-08-2009, 11:25 PM
GoDoggies, you raise a very good point here... some alternatives for you and Seb to ponder:

Seb flat out refuses to wear the 'evil' guernsey, finally agreeing to hold it in his hand. He storms up to the dais, drops the medallion on the floor, and steps on the foot of the waiting player, throwing the guernsey at him in disdain.

OR

Seb grabs the medallion (still refusing to wear the guernsey!) and takes off, medallion in hand, around the 'G' in a lap of defiance. He could even take off through the stands. No one could chase him, they'd all be killing themselves laughing.

There, a couple of options to consider. But under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Seb don an "evil" guernsey. It'd just be wrong.

Thanks :) that made me laugh - just what I needed after some sad news this afternoon.
I love the 2nd idea.....that would be so funny :D

LostDoggy
07-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I think Seb will cope even if we are the losing side on GF day. It's tough on a kid, but I have been following the dogs for 45 years, and I haven't seen a flag (didn't go to the 61 GF as I was too little). Perhaps it's character building or something, but we don't give up, us Dog's supporters. We hang tough :cool:

I agree MG - Character building is a good way to look at it. And that Doggies supporters don't give up :cool:

AndrewP6
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks :) that made me laugh - just what I needed after some sad news this afternoon.
I love the 2nd idea.....that would be so funny :D

No worries, happy to help :)

Just had an additional thought...we could set up some "security guards" throughout the G, in order to ensure Seb's safe passage...back to Barkly St, and the throng of WB fans... we could hold the AFL to ransom, till we get a better stadium deal!

Oh, there's no end to my silliness...

The Adelaide Connection
08-08-2009, 12:43 AM

OR

This reminds me of a funny thing I saw several years ago. I was at Footy park and the halftime mini-league had just finished and they had set off for their half a lap that they would always do. They would run from the middle of the ground to the boundary and turn left/right and run the half a lap along the boundary to the other side.

On this particular day one kid thought he would sprint out in front of his team mates and leave them all in his wake. He got to the boundary and went left and the rest of his team, who were trailing him, went right. The crowd started to laugh and cheer a bit and the kid thought it was because he was out in front and really turned on the afterburners and was smiling an ear to ear grin. When he got to about the goals, with the crowd now going wild, the kid proudly looked back over his shoulder to realise there was no one there and pulled up so fast that he fell over. The look on his face was priceless. It also made me feel a bit better as I was about the same age at the time (12ish) and had recently suffered my own embarrassing fall over the fence of Elizabeth oval (after helping with the banner at a Central Districts game) and had a huge section of the bumper crowd laughing at me.