PDA

View Full Version : It happened today.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2009, 08:49 PM
At 0.12, I cracked it. The sight of our premiership assault being finished before it began. I was embarassed and upset, as were all those around me, except an older gent behind me, who with his Footscray beanie, was very calm. I said something along the lines of "this team always finds a way to break your heart. For nearly 30 years, this is all i can remember". To which he responded very calmly to me, "well it's been 53 years for me and this always happens. Once you accept that this club will always do it to you, you wont get angry as you are getting".

So i thought about this while we played pathetically. I was thinking about all the bulldogs people i'd come across who i thought were really negative and consigned to a dim fate, and that i thought it was just overly sensetive negativity. But the gent was right, be it in pre-lim finals when we've had opportunities, when Melbourne beat us a few years back in r.21 or today, this club just finds ways to break the hearts of members. And with that realisation and discussions, i realised i am too now one of these people consigned to fate. Sometimes you go through life and you can't put your finger on an event or time when things changed for you, when attitiudes or relationships changed. Today, 18 minutes into the second quarter, was the day when i went from footy eternal optimist to resigned to eing heart broken - with the result sealing the change.

That said, i will keep paying my membership for life in he hope that things will one day change. God i hope i don't spend another few decades is this abyss, like all the members before me.

LostDoggy
08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Chris Grants retirement speech, summed up the club to a tee.

AndrewP6
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Hmm... interesting.

As pessimistic as I am, the example St Kilda has set gives one some hope. Remember we easily beat them last season, and without drastic changes in personnel, they've totally transformed their game.

I too was tempted to return my membership. But what would we do on the weekends?

bulldogtragic
08-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Hmm... interesting.

As pessimistic as I am, the example St Kilda has set gives one some hope. Remember we easily beat them last season, and without drastic changes in personnel, they've totally transformed their game.

I too was tempted to return my membership. But what would we do on the weekends?
That's St Kilda.

AndrewP6
08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
That's St Kilda.

I'd rather be a Bulldog...

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 09:17 PM

I think that a massive difference between us and the Saints is how we form our 22. The Saints fill out their 22 with players demonstrating a desired attitude. We fill out the 22 purely based on kids who add most to the specific game. Saints set a tone, a benchmark of what is expected. We only do it when it involves not playing Guy O'Keefe.

LostDoggy
08-08-2009, 09:20 PM
St Kilda also has a solid structure up the spine of the 22, we don't.

It's easy to transform certain areas of your game, when the foundations of your structure is already there.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
St Kilda also has a solid structure up the spine of the 22, we don't.

It's easy to transform certain areas of your game, when the foundations of your structure is already there.

I don't think the last couple of spots in the 22 are going to be that influential week to week. I would like us to use them to help set a benchmark for attitude. The last couple of guys picked aren't going to help fix our demented structure. If they were actually able to do that, their spot wouldn't be questioned.

LostDoggy
08-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't think the last couple of spots in the 22 are going to be that influential week to week. I would like us to use them to help set a benchmark for attitude. The last couple of guys picked aren't going to help fix our demented structure. If they were actually able to do that, their spot wouldn't be questioned.

My point was about how St Kilda were able to transform there game, and how easy it was because from FF to FB there spine is solid. All they needed to do was tinker with a few other things, not reconstruct there whole spine. (which is what we would have to do)

We could never follow St Kilda and transform next season, because from FF to FB in our team, it is majorly flawed. Not unless Grant, Cordy & Roughead some how turn it on next season, and play every game including finals.

Not likely.

comrade
08-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Rocco, are you going to mention Guy O'Keefe in every thread? ;)

Rocco Jones
08-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Rocco, are you going to mention Guy O'Keefe in every thread? ;)

Nearly. I am going to bring them all up when he has a semi-decent game for his new AFL club. If that never happens, I will just create another account and bring them up and bag myself to gain new cred.

macca
08-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I think St Kilda have done a major overhaul of their team in the last 2 years. Look at the players they have added in their team in the last 2 sesons which have added some spine, and plugged major holes:

King and Garinder- ready made ruckman. Kosi is not a full game ruckman
Schneider - class small forward who can occassionaly play midfield, perfect foil to Milne.
Dawson - key backman, who has improved out of sight.
Farren Ray- hard running midfield- sweeper .
Dempster - another fwd midfielder

and the young kids like:
Clinton jones
Sam Gilbert who looks to be a gun
Geary
McQualter

these guys have only added to ths list of stars they have.

if thats not a spine of the team, I don't think you know who st kilda is playing

lemmon
08-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I think St Kilda have done a major overhaul of their team in the last 2 years. Look at the players they have added in their team in the last 2 sesons which have added some spine, and plugged major holes:

King and Garinder- ready made ruckman. Kosi is not a full game ruckman
Schneider - class small forward who can occassionaly play midfield, perfect foil to Milne.
Dawson - key backman, who has improved out of sight.
Farren Ray- hard running midfield- sweeper .
Dempster - another fwd midfielder

and the young kids like:
Clinton jones
Sam Gilbert who looks to be a gun
Geary
McQualter

these guys have only added to ths list of stars they have.

if thats not a spine of the team, I don't think you know who st kilda is playing

I think the differance is how they've managed their younger players, they gave consistent games to guys like Gilbert, Geary and Jones and was prepared to back them in. Instead we are painfully soft at the selection table and refuse to
a/ Reward good form
b/ Punish poor form in senior players

KT31
09-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Hmm... interesting.

Im sorry have the Saints won the flag ?

The most underperforming side of all time, the Saints will only set an example when they win a flag.

Sedat
09-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't think the last couple of spots in the 22 are going to be that influential week to week.
The biggest query on St Kilda in recent seasons has been how their list fell away at the bottom 6 players. I personally laughed at the likes of Geary, Eddy and Gwilt last year, and how our depth players were a cut above theirs - you know, the Tiller's and Callan's of this world who performed so admirably in September last year - how wrong was I.

Today was the latest installment in how this club can find a new way to kick us in the teeth. Somewhere deep within there remains a sliver of positivity that can see us winning 6 games in a row from here en route to a premiership. But then reality kicks in.

AndrewP6
09-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Im sorry have the Saints won the flag ?

The most underperforming side of all time, the Saints will only set an example when they win a flag.

I'll put money on it... and I'm not a gambler.

LostDoggy
09-08-2009, 01:49 AM
The biggest query on St Kilda in recent seasons has been how their list fell away at the bottom 6 players. I personally laughed at the likes of Geary, Eddy and Gwilt last year, and how our depth players were a cut above theirs - you know, the Tiller's and Callan's of this world who performed so admirably in September last year - how wrong was I.

Today was the latest installment in how this club can find a new way to kick us in the teeth. Somewhere deep within there remains a sliver of positivity that can see us winning 6 games in a row from here en route to a premiership. But then reality kicks in.

Thanks for the reality check Sedat. 6 in a row, not this season!

Today was a crappy advertisement for memberships as you can get.

Mantis
09-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Nearly. I am going to bring them all up when he has a semi-decent game for his new AFL club. If that never happens, I will just create another account and bring them up and bag myself to gain new cred.

Compared to now?? ;)

Rocco Jones
09-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Compared to now?? ;)

Maybe it's time. Bring on Rico James.

Sleeve1970
09-08-2009, 11:15 AM
As bad as it sounds I didnt renew my membership this year cause every year I buy one they fail me badly, so, I believed that if I dont get one they just might win a flag..... Well 30 years of buying memberships and one year without proved that it was all wrong.....

Flag hopes for year 2054 sound good.....
Maybe they should have made Rocket wait till the end of the year to sign him up..... I guess no flag next year either.

BulldogBelle
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
As bad as it sounds I didnt renew my membership this year cause every year I buy one they fail me badly, so, I believed that if I dont get one they just might win a flag..... Well 30 years of buying memberships and one year without proved that it was all wrong.....

Maybe they should have made Rocket wait till the end of the year to sign him up..... I guess no flag next year either.

Just make sure you buy it next year!!!!!

Remi Moses
09-08-2009, 01:10 PM

So you'll be the first to complain if the club goes under:rolleyes::rolleyes:What a load of complete shit:mad::mad:Memberships are VITAL for the continuation of our club,so if we all adopt your attitude say hello to our club next to fitzroy at the cemetary

AndrewP6
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
So you'll be the first to complain if the club goes under:rolleyes::rolleyes:What a load of complete shit:mad::mad:Memberships are VITAL for the continuation of our club,so if we all adopt your attitude say hello to our club next to fitzroy at the cemetary

Good call RM... although I hinted at this last night, in the cold light of day, I can see that this is no solution. Dogs supporters have had plenty of seasons not to join up in the past (Peter Rohde, anyone?) but aside from shite like yesterday, we're actually a good team.

God, I surprised myself with that level-headed post!

Sleeve1970
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Hey I might start following the VFL and give them my money, at least they put up a fight every week.... Even my local club plays better...

AndrewP6
09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey I might start following the VFL and give them my money, at least they put up a fight every week.... Even my local club plays better...

Good luck with that.

Mantis
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM

No one is forcing you to barrack or support them.

The door is that way.

KT31
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Not if people don't buy memberships.

KT31
17-08-2009, 12:48 AM

That statement makes you a gambler and how does your bet look tonight ?

AndrewP6
17-08-2009, 07:05 PM
That statement makes you a gambler and how does your bet look tonight ?
Not a gambler till I actually put my money down... and the wallet has too many cobwebs to get through for that to happen.

last night hasn't done a thing to change my mind.

Remi Moses
17-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out:mad:

KT31
27-09-2009, 11:43 PM

Should have backed the Cat's.

The Saint's still haven't turned anything around.

IMO, one of the most under performing sides of all time.

AndrewP6
27-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Should have backed the Cat's.

The Saint's still haven't turned anything around.

IMO, one of the most under performing sides of all time.

HAHA....yes, I'm heating up the humble pie as we speak! Thank god I don't gamble!

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Not if people don't buy memberships.

Exactly!! Taking money AWAY is certainly not going to help the cause. Come on - Take a breath, get over yourself and think logically.
Yeah footy sux sometimes, but you take the good with the bad...and I bet you'd be there for the good!