PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre Mitch

Rance Fan
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Now generally i think Mitch Hahn works hard, crashes bodies, tackles and finds ways to to kick goals (particularly in an ugly fashion)...but.... I was most disappointed with his game against the WCE. I know it certainly doesnt help when the ball is skyed into the forward line, but Mitch seemed to be following the ball more and was down back often. Was this coaching instructions or was he following his man? He had no effect on the game.
Is he injured, been flogged at training, worn out, old or no good.??
He has had a few good games this year and i think he is a good half forward, but cant expect him to play CHF and dominate. He generally is a good honest player.

Against the WCE he was mediocre, the standard of his performance was concerning....not to mention at least another half dozen players!

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Good thread. You beat me to it. I have been thinking for a while now, with the exception of a good game every now and then, that Mitch hasn't been a strong enough contribtor this year. And in going forward in trying to build a premiership team, i'm not sure where he fits in. But because he is universally loved and admired, i think i at least, haven't been putting him to scrutiny as i have several other players who haven't possibly lived up to expectation this year.

Rance Fan
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I think maybe some have pinned him as some big key forward, to do the job up forward for us.
He like most of the forwards... are not the answer. A good cameo player thats more suited to contend with the 2nd or 3rd key defender. Awaiting that big number 1 key forward...Hall? Cordy??....not sure who and when!

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I think maybe some have pinned him as some big key forward, to do the job up forward for us.
He like most of the forwards... are not the answer. A good cameo player thats more suited to contend with the 2nd or 3rd key defender. Awaiting that big number 1 key forward...Hall? Cordy??....not sure who and when!
... if at all. But hopefully we can snare Hall and what Roughy, Cordy, Grant and Jones look like next year...

Rocco Jones
09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Totally. I post my thoughts about him being gone at the start of the year and my mind definitely changed. His goals come from his opponents trying to exploit him going the other way or having the weakest defender on him. He has great intensity and his defensive pressure is fantastic when the ball is in his immediate area but he really struggles to get to the crucial areas.

I feel bad having a go at him because I think the main reason he is so immobile is that he has worked so hard for the club in the past but I truly think he is done. I heard Lyon talk about why Ball hasn't been playing, citing his inability to run hard. Mitch is sadly exposed in the modern game and is an out and out liability against the gun sides. I would have loved us to try Tiller in his role.

I truly think he is gone and am pretty much over the "Eade knows best" thinking when it comes to playing Mitch and Welsh. They are as immobile as dinosaur KP's and don't give us anywhere near the value. They are basically immobile medium forwards.

anfo27
09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm a big Mitch fan just loves his hardness at the footy but for mine he just doesn't do enough often enough. I'd really like to see him being used in the middle more where he can use his assets more like a Brad Sewell type. Only problem i dont know what his tank is like, he may not have the engine to go in there. Regardless rocket should give Mitch 5 minute spells in there.

GVGjr
09-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Nearly 18 months on but his thread might be worth another read.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2043

Rocco Jones
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm a big Mitch fan just loves his hardness at the footy but for mine he just doesn't do enough often enough. I'd really like to see him being used in the middle more where he can use his assets more like a Brad Sewell type. Only problem i dont know what his tank is like, he may not have the engine to go in there. Regardless rocket should give Mitch 5 minute spells in there.

He is a million miles away from having the tank to play in the midfield mate. Even a few spells there would mean he is spent for the game. He would struggle to run out 40% of the game with spells in the midfield. His disposal is awful and his hands aren't nearly as clever as Sewell's.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Nearly 18 months on but his thread might be worth another read.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2043
Do you think it's time for a review/decison on Hahn, GVGjr?

Rocco Jones
09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Mitch is an older player and not Aker, ergo he is safe.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
He is a million miles away from having the tank to play in the midfield mate. Even a few spells there would mean he is spent for the game. He would struggle to run out 40% of the game with spells in the midfield. His disposal is awful and his hands aren't nearly as clever as Sewell's.
Didn't Hahn miss a crucial ball earlier this year, by not leaning down enough to trap it?

I wouldn't let him near the midfield either. I think it's time to cut the list deep this year and allow some spots for kids (AKA 'our future). Welsh, Eagle and Hahn have not done enough this year. Aker and Johno have, and dollars permiting, both should be offered another round.

GVGjr
09-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Do you think it's time for a review/decison on Hahn, GVGjr?

No, but we have to accept that he has some limitations. He proved me wrong last year but he hasn't set the world on fire this year.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
No, but we have to accept that he has some limitations. He proved me wrong last year but he hasn't set the world on fire this year.
Question without notice, is he still contracted?

If not, does he get another deal?

Rance Fan
09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
The ball that has come in this year hasnt been great...Rainmakers at times. Yesterdays game was no different. Plenty of inside 50s but little quality. What hope have they got.
Most of them up forward are just 6 ftrs. and Minsons not a forward!! Not his fault they are trying to make him into one, when he aint.
The young ones are too light on eg Hill, and then we have Aker, Johnno and Welsh all over 30 who are slowing with time. Hahn and Minson plodders. Murph not big bodied also, add Gia and Higgins to that.
Eagleton and Addison have played up forward... no comment.
So up forward we have some limitations, not just Hahn.
We look good when the midfielders/defenders bring the ball in precisely! Oh and when we then kick goals, not points. It just doesnt happen often enough. When we're good we're very good. When we're bad we're very bad. Be it up forward, midfield or back.

Rance Fan
09-08-2009, 07:19 PM

If we get Hall or a key big man, i think he would be handy player. Maybe 2 more years for him. Hopefully some young ones come thru by then. Grant, Cordy etc...

GVGjr
09-08-2009, 07:22 PM

I'd keep him at the club.

Rocco Jones
09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
If we get Hall or a key big man, i think he would be handy player. Maybe 2 more years for him. Hopefully some young ones come thru by then. Grant, Cordy etc...

I actually think having Hall there would harm his chances. Hahn is very immobile and is virtually an old school KP when it comes to the liability he causes in that area. Fantastic when the ball is in his immediate area but woeful otherwise. Hall + mobile forwards= :).

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I actually think having Hall there would harm his chances. Hahn is very immobile and is virtually an old school KP when it comes to the liability he causes in that area. Fantastic when the ball is in his immediate area but woeful otherwise. Hall + STACK = :).

Edited for accuracy :)

Rocco Jones
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Edited for accuracy :)

:)

Would anyone else pick him up if we delisted him?

Not saying we should get rid of him, more a question to ponder.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't think so, he is not really made for the modern game.

Remi Moses
09-08-2009, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't think so, he is not really made for the modern game.

Agree think Mitch is in awful trouble. Brings hardness when the ball is in his vicinity but unfortunately now it's all about when you haven't got the ball. Needs a big finish

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2009, 01:43 AM
No chance of being delisted/retired etc.

I wouldn't have him in our best 22 anymore though. As has been said a number of times, he really does look finished. His style of play was always going to catch up sooner or later. This year, it has. He really should have been dropped a long, long time ago.

Rance Fan
10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Mitch is our second highest goal scorer (30) this year behind Aker (34)!! Hill is 3rd (27) and Johnno 4th with (25).

3 older guys in the top four. May need to hold onto them a bit longer if possible. Welsh is the one who will go first from up forward

Ozza
10-08-2009, 10:56 AM
My position on Hahn is pretty simple.
I've never been a fan - and have never been able to understand why he is so highly regarded by mates that are opposition supporters - and by some of our supporters.

He is slow.
His skills are awful.
He is selfish with the football.
and He has never performed in a big game.

But don't worry - he'll tune in once every 8 weeks and cash in against a team of light bodies and kick 5 when we thrash someone.

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Hahn is no world beater but would always be in my side because he is the only player in the forward line who fights to keep the ball in.

Like Hargrave, for a number of years at the other end of the ground, he has been asked to take on roles suited to much taller players. Given we tend to want to play a four man forward line, Hahn is often monstered by two much bigger players. He fights hard to bring the ball to the ground and to keep the ball in.

Of all players in the side, Hahn takes the wrap first for us not having a power forward.

At least in the contested ball situation he gives himself a chance to gain possesion unlike Hill and Stack who are too easily cast aside.

Sedat
10-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Hahn is no world beater but would always be in my side because he is the only player in the forward line who fights to keep the ball in.
Prior to his knee reco, I'd agree with you 100%. But his bash and crash style has taken a Hamill-like toll on his body and these days he gets worked over far too easily the other way by mobile athletic defenders who can run all day. Hahn might be 28, but he moves around like a 35 yo.

Desipura
10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Prior to his knee reco, I'd agree with you 100%. But his bash and crash style has taken a Hamill-like toll on his body and these days he gets worked over far too easily the other way by mobile athletic defenders who can run all day. Hahn might be 28, but he moves around like a 35 yo.

Sadly I agree totally

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Has really not done enough with his time at the Bulldogs to merit any prolonged confidence. Last year he had a patch of games where he performed, aside from that - nothing.

He's a QLD'er. Perfect candidate for trade bait to GC. Flog him off to them for an early pick.

The Coon Dog
10-08-2009, 01:08 PM
He's a QLD'er. Perfect candidate for trade bait to GC. Flog him off to them for an early pick.

If he's as shit as you think, then why the **** would GC17 give up an early pick for him? :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Because Hahn, like many at our club have successfully pulled the proverbial wool over everyone else's eyes about providing an illusion that we're actually 'contenders'.

The Coon Dog
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Because Hahn, like many at our club have successfully pulled the proverbial wool over everyone else's eyes about providing an illusion that we're actually 'contenders'.

Still doesn't answer why GC17 would give up an early pick for someone who we all think has played his best football a few years back. We'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for Mitch.

Amazes me that people want to trade away players they don't feel will help anymore but expect first round picks for them.

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
3rd round pick it is then.

Mofra
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Amazes me that people want to trade away players they don't feel will help anymore but expect first round picks for them.
Especially those with only a couple of years left at the highest level.
Hawks wanted Higgins for Boyle, which we all (rightly) laughed at. Now we're suggesting similarly one-sided trades?

ledge
10-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Especially those with only a couple of years left at the highest level.
Hawks wanted Higgins for Boyle, which we all (rightly) laughed at. Now we're suggesting similarly one-sided trades?

Well Richmond and Freo dont mind taking crap for decent players.

Mofra
10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Well Richmond and Freo dont mind taking crap for decent players.
I think sadly the McMahon trade was a one off, not a continuing trend.
Brown we were compensated for, Bowden was worth almost nothing anyway.

Remi Moses
10-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Has really not done enough with his time at the Bulldogs to merit any prolonged confidence. Last year he had a patch of games where he performed, aside from that - nothing.

Hope that's a bit of your ''sarcasm''. Tipping Mitch wont be around in two years time

Remi Moses
10-08-2009, 03:36 PM

Exactly

The Pie Man
10-08-2009, 04:00 PM
The Mitch Hahn situation is another one where we don't have suitable replacements - the more I think about it, the more I wish Jarrod Grant was bigger and ready. Even just ready...Bob Murphy looked snappable when he first started he was that skinny, but was playing decent footy (clearly he had a more developed aerobic capacity than Grant does currently - I don't know that, but I guess it's safe to assume it)