PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Sandilands possibly on the trade table

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Reports today Hawthorn will go after him hard, being they have nuff nuffs in the ruck.

Should we be looking at getting Sandi with Hudson likely to retire next year and Skipper/Wight destined for the scrap heap, or considering the likely asking price, with him being contracted, should we be looking to get in on the deal somehow?

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 11:55 AM
This is a very interesting one.

We should make as big a play as necessary.. this would allow the likes of Minson, Cordy and Roughhead to focus more on being KPFs for the next few years, and Huddo and Sandilands would be a formidable ruck duo for the next year or two, before Roughhead takes over from Huddo. I can only imagine that our midfielders would have a field day roving to a dominant ruckman like Sandilands.

Sandilands can be pretty handy up forward too.

Ps. I would think that we would have more room in the cap than Hawthorn would?

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Ps. I would think that we would have more room in the cap than Hawthorn would?

Aker would need to retire to free up the necessary room in the cap for he and Lake, Higgins.

What would it cost to get Aaron Sandilands, 1st pick? 1st and 2nd pick? Package deal with a player?

Sedat
12-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Their ruck division was a great strength of theirs in 2008, with Campbell / Taylor (and Renouf late in the season when Taylor started to drop off) pretty much bashing and crashing their way through most ruck combinations and giving their midfield first use - the work of their ruck division was one of the great unheralded assets of their premiership year. It's the same names this season but they are playing like they are blindfolded, so perhaps the change of ruck coach between seasons has had a major impact ;)

Hudson and Minson are one of the better ruck combinations going around at the minute. We needed to address this area 2 years ago and we have since done so, both at the trade table and on draft day. IMO there are more pressing areas of concern in our list that been remedying before the ruck division.

bornadog
12-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I would think that we would have more room in the cap than Hawthorn would?

Our cap is under serious threat with Lake, Cooney, Hargrave all wanting and deserving more money. We are currently paying at 100%, so there may be some hard decisions that need to be made at the end of the year. Sandilands would be great at the doggies, but I can't see it happening

What would we offer Freo?

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Package deal, early 2nd rounder (that the Dogs would have to trade for) + top kid (Everitt, Hill, Williams, Ward, Higgins).

*bolded players preferably

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Package deal, early 2nd rounder (that the Dogs would have to trade for) + top kid (Everitt, Hill, Williams, Ward, Higgins).

*bolded players preferably
Assuming Everitt could be the trade for the early 2nd rounder, you see Everitt and Hill for Sandilands essentially?

G-Mo77
12-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Skipper is from WA right? :)

Don't think we'll make a play at him to be honest. I'd rather sign our out of contract players first before making a play at Sandilands. Doubt we could even fit him under the cap anyway.

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Their ruck division was a great strength of theirs in 2008, with Campbell / Taylor (and Renouf late in the season when Taylor started to drop off) pretty much bashing and crashing their way through most ruck combinations and giving their midfield first use - the work of their ruck division was one of the great unheralded assets of their premiership year. It's the same names this season but they are playing like they are blindfolded, so perhaps the change of ruck coach between seasons has had a major impact ;)

Hudson and Minson are one of the better ruck combinations going around at the minute. We needed to address this area 2 years ago and we have since done so, both at the trade table and on draft day. IMO there are more pressing areas of concern in our list that been remedying before the ruck division.

Hiya Sedat.

True that Huddo and Minnow are great, but Huddo is only good for another two years at most, and not having to play the no.1 ruck role all the time may actually prolong his career. Minson can also spend more time up forward and actually get some forward game-time into his mitts.

I also see a Sandilands trade as one that would have a ripple effect that may address a couple of other problem areas on the list, namely the KPF area, if we can fast-track Cordy and Roughhead's development by letting them concentrate on playing forward and can play a bit more of a hit-up forward role instead of having to have a ruck-ready body.

Scraggers
12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
After giving up Robbie Warnock to Carlton last year, there is no way Fremantle will let Sandilands walk ... He is still contracted until the end of next year, so if he wanted to pull the pin Freo would be asking for the moon as compensation

Sedat
12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
True that Huddo and Minnow are great, but Huddo is only good for another two years at most, and not having to play the no.1 ruck role all the time may actually prolong his career. Minson can also spend more time up forward and actually get some forward game-time into his mitts.

I also see a Sandilands trade as one that would have a ripple effect that may address a couple of other problem areas on the list, namely the KPF area, if we can fast-track Cordy and Roughhead's development by letting them concentrate on playing forward and can play a bit more of a hit-up forward role instead of having to have a ruck-ready body.
Hi Lantern, I understand the ripple-effect rationale but my preference would be to see Roughead make the transition to key ruckman for us when Hudson is ready to hang up the boots (or shave off the beard). That's not even to mention the prohibitive cost that will be required to get Sandilands to the club (both trades and coin) which in all likelihood make it little more than a pipedream, considering our current salary cap squeeze.

My preference would be to definitively fix a problem area rather than further bolster an already well-functioning area that might lead to improved performance and structure elsewhere. For mine, we need to fix the key forward structure first and foremost, and we can do that very cheaply in 2010 with the aquisition of Barry Hall - you want ripple effects, watch how dangerous the likes of Hill, Higgins, Murphy and co will be with Hall riding shotgun alongside them in our forward 50 next season. And by the time Hall is finished as an AFL footballer (2011/12), then the likes of Jones, Cordy and Grant will (hopefully) be ready to impact at AFL level, much like someone of the calibre of Josh Kennedy is now making an impact 4 years after being drafted.

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi Lantern, I understand the ripple-effect rationale but my preference would be to see Roughead make the transition to key ruckman for us when Hudson is ready to hang up the boots (or shave off the beard). That's not even to mention the prohibitive cost that will be required to get Sandilands to the club (both trades and coin) which in all likelihood make it little more than a pipedream, considering our current salary cap squeeze.

My preference would be to definitively fix a problem area rather than further bolster an already well-functioning area that might lead to improved performance and structure elsewhere. For mine, we need to fix the key forward structure first and foremost, and we can do that very cheaply in 2010 with the aquisition of Barry Hall - you want ripple effects, watch how dangerous the likes of Hill, Higgins, Murphy and co will be with Hall riding shotgun alongside them in our forward 50 next season. And by the time Hall is finished as an AFL footballer (2011/12), then the likes of Jones, Cordy and Grant will (hopefully) be ready to impact at AFL level, much like someone of the calibre of Josh Kennedy is now making an impact 4 years after being drafted.

Ooooh. I like.

Ok, we go with your plan. ;)

Mofra
12-08-2009, 12:51 PM
The change in boundary umpires has effected Hawthorn's ruck division. Slower, bash & crash ruckman have a harder time with boundary throw ins now there are two boundary umpires on each side, which is why Renouf got the nod pre-finals.

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Sandilands won't going anywhere. He is originally from Freo and is still contracted for another year.

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
'FREMANTLE coach Mark Harvey has dismissed speculation that contracted ruckman Aaron Sandilands is looking for a trade and told rival clubs they were "wasting their time" trying to snatch the All-Australian big man.'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82566/default.aspx

chef
12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
No thanks, i would prefer to pick up Hansen and Hall which should only cost us a second round pick and a PSD pick.

ledge
12-08-2009, 06:39 PM
'FREMANTLE coach Mark Harvey has dismissed speculation that contracted ruckman Aaron Sandilands is looking for a trade and told rival clubs they were "wasting their time" trying to snatch the All-Australian big man.'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82566/default.aspx

Problem with Mark Harvey saying this is he isnt Aarons manager, any coach would say that if they wanted to keep a player.

anfo27
12-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Sandilands is only looking for more money from freo and the threat of asking for trade just might get him that. Also the ruck position is starting to change you need mobile followers now, thats what the trend suggests.
I'd rather go for the captain of that team, one Mathew Pavlich. He sounded like he wasn't that keen on staying at freo for his whole career. He's getting on now and if he stays at freo he will never see success. Its also the last draft before GC17 & West Sydney hog all the draft picks. I would love to think a first round pick (pick 17 hopefully) and a good prospect could get the job done. Maybe Everitt or Hill, i'd rather keep Hill but I'm sure freo would rather Hill also.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Pick 17 and Hill for Pavlich. Bit of an insult to Pav.

anfo27
12-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Pick 17 and Hill for Pavlich. Bit of an insult to Pav.

How old is Pav?

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
How old is Pav?
Old enough to be in his prime, with 5 years left. Top 10 pick and Hill maybe, but 17 wouldn't get the deal. Perhaps trading a Cross (or similar) to upgrade 1st pick would get us the top 10 pick. But then it's effectively Cross, Hill and 1st rounder for Pavlich. I just don't see how we can afford him, unless he goes rengade on Freo.

chef
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
He'll be 28 at the start of next season. Pav is the heart and soul of that footy club and there is not a chance in hell he will leave.

anfo27
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
He'll be 28 at the start of next season. Pav is the heart and soul of that footy club and there is not a chance in hell he will leave.

Well if he is 28 he hasn't got enough footy left in him for more than a 1st round pick and a prospect. I think he would leave he wasn't convincing on ch7 earlier in the year.

Dazza
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
No chance of getting Pavlich. I'd say his comments were probably indicating he might go to one of the new clubs for a massive salary more than anything else.

anfo27
12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
No chance of getting Pavlich. I'd say his comments were probably indicating he might go to one of the new clubs for a massive salary more than anything else.

He has been on big bucks for years at his age & limited time left a player of his class needs to be playing finals footy. I cant see the Gold Coast making a play for him at 29, not the age they are looking for. I'm not saying we are a good shot to land him its just nice to dream sometimes.