PDA

View Full Version : Listen Kids, Just Say 'No'!!!

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Not just to drugs, but to trading for Ash Hansen. Sure it looks cool, but it's dangerous and bad and would be another case of history repeating.

So when your friends ask, whether you want to trade for Ash Hansen, just say 'NO'.

* Written and authorised on belahf of the 'for f**k sake, please no more tall hacks, we've had enough over the past few decades clogging the list at the Whitten Oval' party. Spoken by Common Sense

lemmon
12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I join

chef
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Sorry, to late for me I'm already hooked. Hansen is a premiership winning CHF and in partnership with Hall next year i can see i doggies flag.

Drugs are bad - Hansen is good(not the band).

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Sorry, to late for me I'm already hooked. Hansen is a premiership winning CHF and in partnership with Hall next year i can see i doggies flag.

Drugs are bad - Hansen is good(not the band).
Listen Chef, mmkay, Hansen's bad, mmkay. Just say no.

chef
12-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Listen Chef, mmkay, Hansen's bad, mmkay. Just say no.

Too late for me. I think I'm having a relapse from last trade period.

Rocco Jones
12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Hansen is the poster boy for my "just because you're tall doesn't mean you're a KPP" theory. So many fans put actual height ahead of overhead marking and the like in KPP desired attributes. "I don't care how good he is, he can't be a KPP, he is only 190cm!!!!". Imo he is much more of a medium forward than a KPP forward.

That being said I would think about getting Hansen if we could get him for virtually nothing.

The Pie Man
12-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Why the thread, have you heard something?
All I remember was we (as in WOOF) were mostly for it last trade period once the surely bound for Whitten Oval this time around Barry Hall said no, but he also said no.

The Pie Man
12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Why the thread, have you heard something?
All I remember was we (as in WOOF) were mostly for it last trade period once the surely bound for Whitten Oval this time around Barry Hall said no, but he also said no.

Note to self - try reading threads that may have a reference to others before posting

Please forgive me :o

Mofra
12-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Hansen is the poster boy for my "just because you're tall doesn't mean you're a KPP" theory. So many fans put actual height ahead of overhead marking and the like in KPP desired attributes. "I don't care how good he is, he can't be a KPP, he is only 190cm!!!!". Imo he is much more of a medium forward than a KPP forward.

That being said I would think about getting Hansen if we could get him for virtually nothing.
I couldn't care less if he was 130cm, if he can lead, demand the ball, mark and actually present enough to play on the HF line I'd consider him. The fact he'd demand a tall defender make it a gamble worth trying IMO.

We have Johnno as a HF now, Murph can play there, and that's it apart from midfield rotations.

Dry Rot
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I join

+1. Say no to poo

comrade
12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm happy to join this group and look forward to reading your bi-monthly newsletter.

Ash is a rash we shouldn't scratch.

BulldogBelle
12-08-2009, 11:35 PM
OK

Ash and Barry

or

Hahn and Welsh

I know which combo I would prefer

If we can get Ash/Barry for some late draft picks or some players that just arent going anywhere then great

If they want to be payed the BIG bucks then the Western Oval isnt the place for them

If they want to have another tilt at a flag then it just might be the place for them

These guys are our short term 'chance' option...without them we wont pass GO and collect $200 until the likes of Boumann, Cordy, Roughead, Jones, Everitt develop....if any of them do...apart from Mr Lake we havnt developed a key position player that has played more than 75 games with us this decade (not counting Grant & Darcy who started their careers in the 90s)

Dancin' Douggy
12-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I couldn't care less if he was 130cm, if he can lead, demand the ball, mark and actually present enough to play on the HF line I'd consider him. The fact he'd demand a tall defender make it a gamble worth trying IMO.

We have Johnno as a HF now, Murph can play there, and that's it apart from midfield rotations.

He can't lead, he doesn't demand the ball, he can't mark, he doesn't present enough (or well enough) to play on the HF line at the highest level.
He slots right in there with Minton Connell, Bandy, etc etc.

Hansen's destiny is to be a 2 to3 year professional footballer with the new Gold Coast team.

Good enough to help set up a 'new franchise' as a work horse and that's about it.

comrade
12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
OK

Ash and Barry

or

Hahn and Welsh

I'd prefer Barry and Jarrad, with cameos from Liam, Ayce and Jarrad.

Dry Rot
12-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Ash is a rash we shouldn't scratch.

Agreed - that's a very good line. :D

Sedat
13-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Ash is a Sigue Sigue Spud-nik

All we need now we just need some sort of catchy anachronym for this group. Taking the lead from Dry Rot, how about H.I.P. (Hansen is Poo)?

bulldogtragic
13-08-2009, 10:44 AM

All we need now we just need some sort of catchy anachronym for this group. Taking the lead from Dry Rot, how about H.I.P. (Hansen is Poo)?
"I'm HIP, are you?"

I like it Sedat, nice work (with credit to DR).

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Why Trash Ash? (WTA)

He hasn't said he wants to come here, has he? It's pretty rough on a player to get rubbished through no fault of his own because some of us want him! :)

The Coon Dog
13-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Why Trash Ash? (WTA)

He hasn't said he wants to come here, has he? It's pretty rough on a player to get rubbished through no fault of his own because some of us want him! :)

Yes he has, he made it very clear that he didn't want to play for our club.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Yes he has, he made it very clear that he didn't want to play for our club.

Oh, then he can f*** **f, eh?

HIP!!!

bulldogtragic
13-08-2009, 11:11 AM
In line with the Stack a Go Go thread, I think HIP needs a dashing vibrant logo. Not being technically proficient, can someone superimpose a WCE jumper over Mr. Hankey (or similar poo) with "HIP" or "HIP HIP HOORAY" written underneath?

Then we'll have credibility.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 12:11 PM
In line with the Stack a Go Go thread, I think HIP needs a dashing vibrant logo. Not being technically proficient, can someone superimpose a WCE jumper over Mr. Hankey (or similar poo) with "HIP" or "HIP HIP HOORAY" written underneath?

Then we'll have credibility.

You mean something like this:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=126&stc=1&d=1250125811

bulldogtragic
13-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha. Tears of shear joy, real tears. Oh my god, that is simply hilarious. Post of The Year has just been taken out. :) :)

Now we can be taken seriously by the outside world.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Now that hawthorn have fallen to pieces after winning a premiership, I wonder if Jarryd would like to join Jordan in dogs colours.
I think he'd look splendid in the red, white and blue.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha. Tears of shear joy, real tears. Oh my god, that is simply hilarious. Post of The Year has just been taken out. :) :)

Now we can be taken seriously by the outside world.

bulldogtragic, having designed both your avatar and (most of your) signature, you've officially become a walking billboard for the crap that spews from my twisted mind.

I don't envy you.

But I sure am proud.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2009, 06:45 PM
bulldogtragic, having designed both your avatar and (most of your) signature, you've officially become a walking billboard for the crap that spews from my twisted mind.

I don't envy you.

But I sure am proud.
If it makes you more envious, i will drop the Eagleton reference this week (after 200 games) :)

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 06:55 PM
you mean something like this:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=126&stc=1&d=1250125811

gold!!

Mofra
13-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm going to go more pro-Hansen* just to spite this rag-tag bunch of Brennan Stack a Go Go wannabees :)

* This excludes Pauline, the band, but not the Zoolander rival because "he's so hot right now"

Mofra
13-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Signature fixed

comrade
13-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm going to go more pro-Hansen* just to spite this rag-tag bunch of Brennan Stack a Go Go wannabees :)

* This excludes Pauline, the band, but not the Zoolander rival because "he's so hot right now"

Hansel is so hot right now.

Hansen is poo*

*including Ash, Pauline and the 3 girls from the band.

Mofra
14-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Hansel is so hot right now.

Hansen is poo*
Hansel is close enough. He is tall and might be able to take a grab. He'd be better than half the monkeys we've tried in the past decade and has more marketability than Aker & Karmichael Hunt combined.

Dry Rot
15-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Good work, HIPsters.

At least we'll be justified dumping manure outside the club if they pick him up.

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Good work, HIPsters.

At least we'll be justified dumping manure outside the club if they pick him up.
Who is a better CHF on our list? No one! It's yes to Hansen

anfo27
15-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Who is a better CHF on our list? No one! It's yes to Hansen

Its a hell no from me, the guy is injury prone & playing crap football at the minute. Me thinks he's washed up. We do have Bobby playing that same role but 100 times better.

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Its a hell no from me, the guy is injury prone & playing crap football at the minute. Me thinks he's washed up. We do have Bobby playing that same role but 100 times better.

Murphy does not play anything. He is constantly injured. Has bad hammies and a de-generative knee. We need a back up. O'Keefe from Sydney is another I would like to target.

Topdog
15-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Murphy does not play anything. He is constantly injured. Has bad hammies and a de-generative knee. We need a back up.

You said Murphy but I could have sworn you were talking about Hansen. We don't need him anywhere near the club.

anfo27
15-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Murphy does not play anything. He is constantly injured. Has bad hammies and a de-generative knee. We need a back up. O'Keefe from Sydney is another I would like to target.

I agree with O'Keefe being a handy addition to the team he would bring a lot to the table, just don't think we could afford him or convince the swans to part with him. I'm sure i heard somewhere his grandfather was a premiership player with us in 54, would be nice to have someone with that kind of history at the club.

Forget about Hansen he can't even get on the park for more than 8 games a year for the past 3 or 4 years.

mighty_west
15-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Hows this for a forward line:

HF: Johnson - Hansen - Murphy
F: Akermanis / Gia - Hall - Higgins / Hill

Higgins will play more midfield next season, but can play forward at times, Gia & Aker can also have stints in the midfield.

if Barry becomes a little restless, like he can do, free him up a bit up the ground, bring Hansen back, to get one tall is all good & well, but to have 2 tall forward makes so much difference imo.

There is alot of negativity towards Ash Hansen as a tall forward, he plays like Murph, leading forward etc etc, thats fine, but he also takes contested grabs, and is a good shot on goal, was extremely important to the Weagles structure in the mid 2000's.

HE DOES PRESENT!!!!!!!

So kids, i say 'yes'.... [as long as the price is right and has a tick in the medical check ups].

Sockeye Salmon
15-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I agree with O'Keefe being a handy addition to the team he would bring a lot to the table, just don't think we could afford him or convince the swans to part with him. I'm sure i heard somewhere his grandfather was a premiership player with us in 54, would be nice to have someone with that kind of history at the club.

Forget about Hansen he can't even get on the park for more than 8 games a year for the past 3 or 4 years.

His grandfather played with us a bit earlier than '54.

Mofra
15-08-2009, 09:06 PM
There is alot of negativity towards Ash Hansen as a tall forward, he plays like Murph, leading forward etc etc, thats fine, but he also takes contested grabs, and is a good shot on goal, was extremely important to the Weagles structure in the mid 2000's.

HE DOES PRESENT!!!!!!!

So kids, i say 'yes'.... [as long as the price is right and has a tick in the medical check ups].
That's the rub. We need a leading HF and Hansen is likely to be available at a reasonable price.

mighty_west
15-08-2009, 11:37 PM
That's the rub. We need a leading HF and Hansen is likely to be available at a reasonable price.

There were a few times tonight when Brissy were coming back, had the momentum, we had no options up forward and they were able to rebound and re set up plays, we can score well, but if we had another dimension to our forward structure, could only be a benefit, Hansen definatly fits as an option.

The Coon Dog
15-08-2009, 11:44 PM
There were a few times tonight when Brissy were coming back, had the momentum, we had no options up forward and they were able to rebound and re set up plays, we can score well, but if we had another dimension to our forward structure, could only be a benefit, Hansen definatly fits as an option.

So would Barry Hall.

Dry Rot
16-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Hows this for a forward line:

HF: Johnson - Hansen - Murphy
F: Akermanis / Gia - Hall - Higgins / Hill

Dunno how things work down south, but up here in Sydney we have big poo works sending poo out deep into the ocean via long poo pipes.

If I had Photoshop skills and the program, I'd attempt a graphical metaphor of Hansen as both the Sydney poo works and perhaps more aptly the poo pipe as a potential CHF.

lemmon
16-08-2009, 12:07 AM
What about Trent Hentschel from Adelaide, talented but injury prone and without Tippet and Walker coming through he might be looking for a new home

AndrewP6
16-08-2009, 12:11 AM
What about Trent Hentschel from Adelaide, talented but injury prone and without Tippet and Walker coming through he might be looking for a new home

those words say it all for me...

mighty_west
16-08-2009, 12:23 AM
So would Barry Hall.

Yes, as i mentioned, a 2 prong tall forward attack would be a better option than just one imo, not having to just rely on Hall, especially if he is it up forward and having 2 or 3 defenders hanging off.

mighty_west
16-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Dunno how things work down south, but up here in Sydney we have big poo works sending poo out deep into the ocean via long poo pipes.

If I had Photoshop skills and the program, I'd attempt a graphical metaphor of Hansen as both the Sydney poo works and perhaps more aptly the poo pipe as a potential CHF.

Down here, all our poo runs down Werribee way, and like your good self, i unfortunatly don't have a graphic to share.

Dry Rot
16-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Down here, all our poo runs down Werribee way, and like your good self, i unfortunatly don't have a graphic to share.

For both of us, that's probably a good thing for the rest of the WOOF :D

chef
16-08-2009, 07:35 AM

So would Barry Hall.

Then we will just have to get both.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I have always liked Trent Potential, but he is a favourite son. And the knee injury was the most horrific thing i've just about seen on a footy field. I don't think he'll be available, but if he was a decent price, i'd look hard. But the crows would be best to keep him as insurance of they can't convince Tippett to stay.

bornadog
16-08-2009, 02:15 PM
So would Barry Hall.

The only difference is Barry will be 33 in Feb 2010 and Hansen will be 27 in March 2010.

BulldogBelle
16-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, as i mentioned, a 2 prong tall forward attack would be a better option than just one imo, not having to just rely on Hall, especially if he is it up forward and having 2 or 3 defenders hanging off.

If we cant get Hansen, how about Hale from North?

How does this look for a forward line....

Murphy Hansen Hahn

Johhno Hall Minson

All with Aker, Hill, Higgins, Gia etc rotating through the midfield and forward line looks like a pretty good structure for 2010

2009/10/11 is our premiership window, we need to act or be acted upon

bulldogtragic
16-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Hale is poo too. North people can't stand him, and he has been dropped from a side that has lost 12 in a row. If he was for free, i would consider him for the role Skipper has, that is an insurance ruckman. But i like Cameron Cloke for the insurance policy ruckman, if he comes cheap.

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Gimp is the next best thing to Photo Shop and its free.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2009, 02:40 PM
The gimp is sleeping...

AndrewP6
16-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Gimp is the next best thing to Photo Shop and its free.

Agreed...

mighty_west
16-08-2009, 03:01 PM

Hey, i thought about it, but then actually used my brain [yeah hard to believe i know]...:D

mighty_west
16-08-2009, 03:06 PM
If we cant get Hansen, how about Hale from North?

How does this look for a forward line....

Murphy Hansen Hahn

Johhno Hall Minson

All with Aker, Hill, Higgins, Gia etc rotating through the midfield and forward line looks like a pretty good structure for 2010

2009/10/11 is our premiership window, we need to act or be acted upon

Hale wouldn't be a bad option, but you have to think if there is a go home factor when the Gold Coast are waving money around, i think Hale could very well be another Brad Ottens, but i just think we need a couple of stay home forwards than another resting ruckman, both Hale & Hall would play closer to goal, Hansen plays further out from goal, him & Barry compliment each other more imo with their styles.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Having both Hall and Hansen in the forwardline may potentially compromise a bit of 'frontal pressure', methinks? I know Barry chases his guts out (never actually catches anyone though -- except when play's stopped, that is ;)), but with Hansen being as injury-prone as he is would you really see him laying multiple tackles a game without snapping something? Not that he's much of a tackler anyway, mind you (averages 1.3 tackles a game over his career.. as a comparison, Johnno and Eagle, who we know rarely tackle, both average around 1.6 a game over their careers. Hall is worse, at 1.1 a game).

With the game becoming all about pressure in the front half, can we afford two players who are so ineffective denfensively?

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Having both Hall and Hansen in the forwardline may potentially compromise a bit of 'frontal pressure', methinks? I know Barry chases his guts out (never actually catches anyone though -- except when play's stopped, that is ;)), but with Hansen being as injury-prone as he is would you really see him laying multiple tackles a game without snapping something? Not that he's much of a tackler anyway, mind you (averages 1.3 tackles a game over his career.. as a comparison, Johnno and Eagle, who we know rarely tackle, both average around 1.6 a game over their careers. Hall is worse, at 1.1 a game).

With the game becoming all about pressure in the front half, can we afford two players who are so ineffective denfensively?
NO.

Hansen Is Poo.

Mofra
17-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Hansen Is Poo.
If Poo is code for about to "unleash some awesomeness on an unsuspecting AFL defensive unit community in 2010 as a Bulldogs" than I agree

mighty_west
17-08-2009, 12:59 PM
If Poo is code for about to "unleash some awesomeness on an unsuspecting AFL defensive unit community in 2010 as a Bulldogs" than I agree

I look forward to a live cross from trade week with a smiling Rocket standing next to a big strawberry blonde wearing a red white & blue polo.

chef
17-08-2009, 01:18 PM

I was wondering if that is what it meant. Thanks for the support Bulldogtragic.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Mark Seaby?
Anyone?

comrade
17-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I look forward to a live cross from trade week with a smiling Rocket standing next to a big strawberry blonde wearing a red white & blue polo.

Why would Cooney be at trade week?

chef
17-08-2009, 01:41 PM
To welcome Hansen to our great club.

mighty_west
17-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Why would Cooney be at trade week?

The great man with the bum fluff is a ranga, nice try...;)

Sedat
17-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Some of you need to get HIP to the scene, man

azabob
17-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Mark Seaby?
Anyone?

Nope, only to Sydney who would be part of the following trade;

Guy O'Keffe to W/C
Seaby to Sydney
Hall to WB
Hansen to WB

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 06:15 PM

O'Keffe to W/C
Seaby to Sydney
Hall to WB
Hansen to WB
I have thrown up some silly trades to generate discussion. But Bob you really need to put 100 or so smiley faces after this stuff, or people might think you actually think this would happen. This is so ludicrous, on so many levels. Please insert as many smiley faces or sarcastic faces as the system allows.

hujsh
17-08-2009, 06:16 PM

O'Keffe to W/C
Seaby to Sydney
Hall to WB
Hansen to WB

So Sydney lose O'Keefe for Seaby?

That bit won't happen

Happy Days
17-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Regarding Hansen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNjQecyjE8

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Regarding Hansen:

Can't argue with that :)

azabob
17-08-2009, 07:37 PM
So Sydney lose O'Keefe for Seaby?

That bit won't happen

Sorry, I mean Guy O'keefe.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Sorry, I mean Guy O'keefe.
Seaby and Hansen for a kid who hasn't played yet?

azabob
17-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I have thrown up some silly trades to generate discussion. But Bob you really need to put 100 or so smiley faces after this stuff, or people might think you actually think this would happen. This is so ludicrous, on so many levels. Please insert as many smiley faces or sarcastic faces as the system allows.

Couldn't care less if it happens but what is so "silly" about it? And exactly how many levels is this ludicrous?

GOK isn't getting a game with us. W/C is still a devloping midfield.
Hansen isn't getting a game with W/C. Two lead up players is better than one.
Hall won't be at Sydney next year and Sydney may be looking for a second ruckman which is Seaby.

And which suggestion is more ludicrous people trying to come up with ways for us to get Pavlich or my suggestion of 3 C grade players or 1 B grade players changing clubs?

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Couldn't care less if it happens but what is so "silly" about it? And exactly how many levels is this ludicrous?

GOK isn't getting a game with us. W/C is still a devloping midfield.
Hansen isn't getting a game with W/C. Two lead up players is better than one.
Hall won't be at Sydney next year and Sydney may be looking for a second ruckman which is Seaby.

And which suggestion is more ludicrous people trying to come up with ways for us to get Pavlich or my suggestion of 3 C grade players or 1 B grade players changing clubs?
Firstly the ludicrous was premised on Ryan O'Keefe, which you cleared up. That reduces my comments down to 'not ever going to happen' as opposed to 'ludicrous'.

Secondly, i agree, Pavlich will never be at the WBFC, and they are pipedreams and arguably ludicrous.

But just because some clubs have needs, means jack-shite. It's about striking deals that compliment the value of players. Seaby and Hansen could easily attract (low) 3rd round picks, but for argument sake, let's say a 3rd rounder and 4th rounder.

Are you suggesting that WCE will effectively offer us 3rd and 4th round draft picks for a kid who can't crack the seniors, and is yet to play a game. What has Guy done which would demand such a high price??? - And if you didn't notice two weeks ago, the WCE midfield is quickly developing and will be a premier midfield in a few years. I don't see Ock fillinf a gaping need, or any need for that matter.

Perhaps take Hansen out, and you may just be on to something (if WCE rated Guy highly enough, but for a kid with absoultely no AFL experience, that would be questionable). But even if they did, WCE would want our 3rd rounder at a minimum on top of it to get Hansen.

It is for these foregoing reasons that he trade you suggested is without merit.

mighty_west
17-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Regarding Hansen:

If that is the best the HIPster kids can come up with, the Operation Get Hansen crew don't have alot to worry about..;)

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 08:15 PM
If that is the best the HIPster kids can come up with, the Operation Get Hansen crew don't have alot to worry about..;)
Your just jealous we beat you to the punch. We heard you were going to post the 'yes, yes, yeeesss' scene from 'When Harry met Sally', but we outsmarted you with a cunning scene from Scrubs, didn't we now. :)

mighty_west
17-08-2009, 08:27 PM
-iJQWeK-gac&feature

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Must have been a slow week for goal of the week. And how many years ago???

hujsh
17-08-2009, 10:19 PM
-iJQWeK-gac&feature

No left foot!!!

Nah great goal.

Desipura
19-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Hansen is 198cm

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Hansen is 198cm
Street is 204cm.

Desipura
19-08-2009, 02:12 PM
"I don't care how good he is, he can't be a KPP, he is only 190cm!!!!".
Perhaps I should have stated this when mentioning he is 198cm.
And on Street, did you not have him on your Avatar bulldogtragic?

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Perhaps I should have stated this when mentioning he is 198cm.
And on Street, did you not have him on your Avatar bulldogtragic?
Absolutely!!! I was in complete awe of 'The Tall One'. Streety didn't get enough respect for mine, but when 21 other players in a team wont handball, kick, shovel, give, throw, pass, tap, move the ball to him, I could kind of see why his career ended.

Desipura
19-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Absolutely!!! I was in complete awe of 'The Tall One'. Streety didn't get enough respect for mine, but when 21 other players in a team wont handball, kick, shovel, give, throw, pass, tap, move the ball to him, I could kind of see why his career ended.
So why are you comparing Street to Hansen, if you rated Street and you do not rate Hansen?
By the way, I think the reason they did not kick, handball, shove, pass, tap etc etc is self explanatory

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 03:18 PM
So why are you comparing Street to Hansen, if you rated Street and you do not rate Hansen?
By the way, I think the reason they did not kick, handball, shove, pass, tap etc etc is self explanatory
Yes, quite self explanatory. Poor Streety, if only he had talent to go with height.

Your point without the context of the foregoing post by Rocco, intimated to me you were basing selection on height alone. That has been cleared up obviously.

I liked Streety but never really rated him, just hoped he could do something. Hansen is the same for mine, and thus the comparison. Hansen has some things which we need, but they just aren't of the quality we need in my humble. After so many decades of trading for dud fringe talls from other clubs, i can't beleive we've found another messiah. Last year Adam Campbell (what a year he's had, shame we missed him), before that Damon White (Athritis of the knees, could have been anything though), before that Toby Thurstans (when he couldn't get a kick in the front half of the ground) and Doogs (which we got, yeah he was a top draft 5 selection... and Clive Waterhouse was a number one pick - maybe we should get Clive?), and the list gets so much worse and guys we actually thought would be great like Cook, Rawlings, Jacko, Tommy Gun, VFL wannabes, The Ugg and so on, and so on.

When will the madness stop? We keep torturing ourselves by looking at and recruiting dud fringe talls from other clubs and then turn on them and the club when it's evident it's not going to work. It's a sickening case of football Münchausen syndrome.

There needs to be a strong intenvetntion to stop the selfharm. That is why HIP was created, to stop the 'Shit KPP to Bulldogs Münchausen syndrome' or 'SKPPBMS'. The madness of Hansen and all like him needs to end!

Desipura
19-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I was just correcting Rocco that Hansen is not 190cm as he had stated, he is 198cm. I am not that naive to say we should pick up a player on height alone.
Also I have at no stage said whether we should look at Ashley.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I was just correcting Rocco that Hansen is not 190cm as he had stated, he is 198cm. I am not that naive to say we should pick up a player on height alone.
Also I have at no stage said whether we should look at Ashley.
Desipura, i picked that up after the initial post and the initial post was questioning why (not in so many words) as you are much, much more sensible than to base things on that. And my HIP rant wasn't aimed at you, although it would be nice to know where you stand? :)

Desipura
19-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Desipura, i picked that up after the initial post and the initial post was questioning why (not in so many words) as you are much, much more sensible than to base things on that. And my HIP rant wasn't aimed at you, although it would be nice to know where you stand? :)
I could think of a number of other players I would rather target before Ashley if they became available. Therein lies the problem, if you do not get your first choice, you tend to go down the list.
Its difficult to know who will be available. If Tippett was staying at the Crows, could they play Hentschel, Tippett & Taylor Walker in the same forward line?
If not, I would target one of Hentschel or Walker (doubtful they would trade Walker, would look at Griffen as a swap)

Having said Hall would be my first choice, was at last years draft, is this year. If he wants to play, we will get him and we will not lose a quality player as a result.
My list is based on those that may be looking elsewhere next year.

1) Hall
2) Maguire - if he passes a physical and shows no signs of losing his mobility
3) Thorp
4) Henderson
5) Reid
6) Drum - I dont believe Freo know how to develop players, was a top 10 pick who was a leader at under 18 level by some reports
7) Jay Schultz

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I could think of a number of other players I would rather target before Ashley if they became available. Therein lies the problem, if you do not get your first choice, you tend to go down the list.
Its difficult to know who will be available. If Tippett was staying at the Crows, could they play Hentschel, Tippett & Taylor Walker in the same forward line?
If not, I would target one of Hentschel or Walker (doubtful they would trade Walker, would look at Griffen as a swap)

Having said Hall would be my first choice, was at last years draft, is this year. If he wants to play, we will get him and we will not lose a quality player as a result.
My list is based on those that may be looking elsewhere next year.

1) Hall
3) Thorp
4) Henderson
5) Reid
6) Drum - I dont believe Freo know how to develop players, was a top 10 pick who was a leader at under 18 level by some reports
7) Jay Schultz
Rumours being rumours, that Drum and Thorpe wouldn't be ideal club fits - but Hall may be a short term solution we could afford - How far down the list would you go??

I like that you've thrown up Ben Reid, and although Rusling can't keep his shoulder's in their joints, if he passed a medical i'd look at him for cheap. I don't mind taking a punt on a kid who couldn't crack it in their current environment, but players like Hansen who have had many, many years in the system and haven't dominated (ala Hall) make me scared of losing out. So i like your list, where do you see their value in this last uncomprimised draft?

Mofra
19-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I could think of a number of other players I would rather target before Ashley if they became available. ...
...1) Hall Yes
2) Maguire - if he passes a physical and shows no signs of losing his mobility Tommy is more durable
3) Thorp No
4) Henderson Heck yes, but he'd cost too much
5) Reid Doesn't work hard enough
6) Drum - I dont believe Freo know how to develop players, was a top 10 pick who was a leader at under 18 level by some reports So was Richard Lounder
7) Jay Schultz Barely good enough to be fringe
Hansen would be 2nd on the list for mine.

Desipura
19-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I would not be disappointed if we got Hansen on the cheap. I believe he would be more valuable with a Hall at full forward.
My list above is based on any one player. I would be disappointed if we only got Hansen.
If we got Hall, Hansen's appeal will have increased

chef
19-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Street is 204cm.

Street is 211cm tall.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Street is 211cm tall.
Okay, you got me. I didn't check :)

Mofra
19-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I would not be disappointed if we got Hansen on the cheap. I believe he would be more valuable with a Hall at full forward.
My list above is based on any one player. I would be disappointed if we only got Hansen.
If we got Hall, Hansen's appeal will have increased
Agree - they are clearly different styles, and I think we've been let down across HF against teams who zone well. Hansen would help us in this situation. Hall would be a much better get-out option than Minson so both could easily fit within our structure.

mighty_west
19-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Ditto.

Dry Rot
19-08-2009, 06:16 PM
When did Hansen last string say 5 games together? What's his record been over the last two seasons?

Hall would be great to help say a young Grant but IMO can't be counted on to help us win a flag.

Simple risk management suggests that there is a high probability of him missing games due to suspension, quite possibly when we need him in the finals.

mighty_west
19-08-2009, 06:32 PM
When did Hansen last string say 5 games together? What's his record been over the last two seasons?

Hall would be great to help say a young Grant but IMO can't be counted on to help us win a flag.

Simple risk management suggests that there is a high probability of him missing games due to suspension, quite possibly when we need him in the finals.

Whats the shorter term solution then? How often does Murph string 5 games together?

I am pro Hansen, BUT ONLY if his medicals all past the test, IF he can get it right, and we take him via a trade, i have no doubt he would fill a massive hole in our structure.

Was there also a high probability of Aker disrupting our club when he first arrived, was also a risk?

Dry Rot
19-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Whats the shorter term solution then? How often does Murph string 5 games together?

I am pro Hansen, BUT ONLY if his medicals all past the test, IF he can get it right, and we take him via a trade, i have no doubt he would fill a massive hole in our structure.

Was there also a high probability of Aker disrupting our club when he first arrived, was also a risk?

At least Aker had a high chance of being on the field.

IIRC, Hansen has had an injury plagued career.

chef
19-08-2009, 06:40 PM

IIRC, Hansen has had an injury plagued career.

This year he has been pretty much injury free, it's just that Kennedy has been favoured at CHF.

Scorlibo
19-08-2009, 06:49 PM
1) Hall
3) Thorp
4) Henderson
5) Reid
7) Jay Schultz

Hall is an option. Maguire is lost in the modern game. Thorp doesn't seem to know how to be a proffessional footballer. Henderson was taken in the same draft as Grant, and is still a worse prospect. Reid will never be a contested marking key forward. Drum can't get a game with Fremantle. Shultz could be worth a crack but hasn't proven a hell of a lot at AFL level, his overhead marking is highly sus.

My list would be:

1) Luke McPharlin - will cost a fair bit, I know, but we need someone who has proven themselves capable at the highest level, not another fringe player.

2) Jared Brennan - could cost even more than McPharlin, but would be worth it imo.

3) Ashley Hansen - has proven himself a premiership key forward, has good skills, can take an overhead grab, and has a big frame. Cheap as chips methinks.

4) Barry Hall - one good year might still be left in BigBadBustlingBarry. Although, I would question his commitment to playing AFL now, the idea of boxing seems to have captured his attention.

5) Drew Petrie - would cost a heap, but we've seen first hand what a good key forward he can be.

6) Tom Lonergan - sure, he's no world beater, but he has shown the ability to bring down some ok marks.

7) Nick Gill - this is the one from left field, from what I have seen of Gill, he is an extremely good mark, if we could just teach him to stay in front of the sticks and kick straight, he would be a pearler of a player.

Happy Days
19-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Hansen doesn't have a Brownlow, multiple AA guernseys and three premiership medalions.

mighty_west
19-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Hansen doesn't have a Brownlow, multiple AA guernseys and three premiership medalions.

No he doesn't, but neither does Hall who i was comparing Aker to, not Hansen.

mighty_west
19-08-2009, 07:00 PM

There was also some doubt with his dodgy hammy's at his age, and missing so much footy, fortunatly it has paid off.

Happy Days
19-08-2009, 08:32 PM
No he doesn't, but neither does Hall who i was comparing Aker to, not Hansen.

Well one and a third out of three ain't bad.

What exactly has Hansen done on a footy field or elsewhere to gain your unmitigated support?

mighty_west
19-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Well one and a third out of three ain't bad.

What exactly has Hansen done on a footy field or elsewhere to gain your unmitigated support?

Well, i see how important a player he was to West Coasts structure around 05/06 especially, in fact there was a stat, not that stats are always a true indication to everything, that was a very high percentage of when he played, the Coasters won, when he didn't, the Coasters would struggle.

He has proven to be a quality player, i don't know why people generally think that he is JUST a lead out forward, he is also good in a contested situation, also above his head, he is also a very good kick for goal, unlike someone similar in Trav Cloke at Collingwood.

What he would do [if fit], and i have stressed that all along, "only if he is passed the full medicals, if not, no way"..but, he would straighten us right up, if we just went for a forward in Barry Hall, whats to say that he isn't fully targeted as our only one tall forward, double teamed etc, and eventually lose his way, he needs a chop out imo, Hall could be moved up the ground at times if needed to ease the pressure, Hansen could also play closer to goal.

I have serious doubts on improving enough with our structure if we JUST gain Barry Hall next season, i am all for having the right structure, to compliment our game style, Hansen is also compared to Rob Murphy, but, how injury free is Murph? If we could have both fit, Murph could be moved aside to a flank, even on a wing, we would just have so much more flexabilty to our structure.

There are a few other names bandied around, alot of players who have either been tried and are simply not good enough, or could be referred to as poo by "some" on this site, or just simply haven't made the grade for whatever reason, with Hansen, he has proved to be a quality player, the only real concern with him is his body.

There has been alot against Hansen, and thats fair enough, everyone is entitled their own opinions, yet many haven't really given a good reason why they do think he is...."poo" with any substance.

Now i have had my say, why don't you think we should get him to our club?

anfo27
19-08-2009, 09:05 PM
7) Nick Gill - this is the one from left field, from what I have seen of Gill, he is an extremely good mark, if we could just teach him to stay in front of the sticks and kick straight, he would be a pearler of a player.

Nick Gill could possibly be the worst kick in the history of the game.

I know we all talk about structure and how important it is but i dont see the point in trading for an ordinary in the hope it is going to solve our problems. If we're going to trade for somebody make a fair dinkum trade & get someone that WILL make a diference. I would of thought winning the ball out of the middle and getting it in quick to one on one contests would work better than picking up imposters. In the end are these imposters better footballers than what we already have.

Happy Days
19-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, i see how important a player he was to West Coasts structure around 05/06 especially, in fact there was a stat, not that stats are always a true indication to everything, that was a very high percentage of when he played, the Coasters won, when he didn't, the Coasters would struggle.

He has proven to be a quality player, i don't know why people generally think that he is JUST a lead out forward, he is also good in a contested situation, also above his head, he is also a very good kick for goal, unlike someone similar in Trav Cloke at Collingwood.

What he would do [if fit], and i have stressed that all along, "only if he is passed the full medicals, if not, no way"..but, he would straighten us right up, if we just went for a forward in Barry Hall, whats to say that he isn't fully targeted as our only one tall forward, double teamed etc, and eventually lose his way, he needs a chop out imo, Hall could be moved up the ground at times if needed to ease the pressure, Hansen could also play closer to goal.

I have serious doubts on improving enough with our structure if we JUST gain Barry Hall next season, i am all for having the right structure, to compliment our game style, Hansen is also compared to Rob Murphy, but, how injury free is Murph? If we could have both fit, Murph could be moved aside to a flank, even on a wing, we would just have so much more flexabilty to our structure.

There are a few other names bandied around, alot of players who have either been tried and are simply not good enough, or could be referred to as poo by "some" on this site, or just simply haven't made the grade for whatever reason, with Hansen, he has proved to be a quality player, the only real concern with him is his body.

There has been alot against Hansen, and thats fair enough, everyone is entitled their own opinions, yet many haven't really given a good reason why they do think he is...."poo" with any substance.

Now i have had my say, why don't you think we should get him to our club?

Firstly, I don't think that he has done anything to establish himself as a player of any great quality. In the 05/06 seasons, Lynch was much more crucial to West Coast's set up in terms of a focal point, which is what we're looking for here. He has not doe naything of note in the last couple of seasons either, which leads me to believe that the midfield made him out to be much better than he actually was.

Secondly, he never seems to do anything to have a great impact on a game, and never stands up when he is really needed. I can't recall him ever taking a game by the scruff of the neck and kicking a bag of any description.

Thirdly, his body is a serious worry. You say that Murphy is the same in terms of injuries, probably a true statement, which means could we have two independable players as our two most important inside forward 50?

Finally, I don't think we can get him and Barry, and I view Barry, by weight of achievements, ability and in what each player could do for us, much, much higher than Hansen.

The over-riding reason, however, is that we need a focal point in the big forward that we recruit, and Hansen just isn't capable of this.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 09:24 PM
There was a stat a few years back when Hahn played we won every game. Two years before when Sam Power played, we won 15 of 16 games. And lost when he was injured.

Do I suggest Hahn and Power several years on is a worthwhile answer?

Hell NO. Sam has played 125 games without a brownlow vote, and whilst i really like him, the stat means jack, and Hahn is almost gone. Hansen can't get a game in a pretty average forward line in the 4th worst side and has a history of injuries. His time has sadly passed and with the way he dismissed us last year, he can go forth and multiply.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Aside from that crazy stat Hansen had attached to the WCE era in 05/06 he hasn't got a whole lot of runs on the board. I'm quite surprised there's still a few posters entertaining the thought.

Does anybody remember the days when West Coast were crying out for a key forward? This was when they were a very good side. They were forced to use Gardiner as a FF in one of their Grand Finals because they had nothing. Granted, Lynch gave them some pretty solid service but outside of him, they've always struggled for a key forward. This was publicised a fair bit going back 3-4 years ago.

In that time, Hansen showed nothing more than a few cameos. Considering he had Cox, Cousins, Judd and Kerr to feed him the ball in their dominant era - I wouldn't of thought he was too impressive. He was a "poor mans" Murphy despite the added height. He's riddled with injury and hasn't moved freely for quite a few years now. I would hope we wouldn't touch him.

He's a one year wonder at best. The Eagles are doing OK for KPP's now but where was Hansen prior to this season? He's largely been playing 2's even when he hasn't been injured. If he can't break into a side that has struggled for the last 2 years, what hope's he got getting into our best 22?

He hardly plays like a KPF anyhow. He's always been a second version to Murphy. If he was a quality player as some here are suggesting, his career wouldn't be hanging in the balance.

Desipura
20-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Hall is an option. Maguire is lost in the modern game. Henderson was taken in the same draft as Grant, and is still a worse prospect. Drum can't get a game with Fremantle.

My list would be:

1) Luke McPharlin - will cost a fair bit, I know, but we need someone who has proven themselves capable at the highest level, not another fringe player.

5) Drew Petrie - would cost a heap, but we've seen first hand what a good key forward he can be.
6) Tom Lonergan - sure, he's no world beater, but he has shown the ability to bring down some ok marks.

Do you have proof that Maguire is lost to the modern game? I said he would have to prove he has not lost his mobility. So what if Henderson was picked in the same draft as Grant, what does that matter? You state that Henderson is a worse prospect, why?
On Drum, so what if he cannot get a game? Peter Bell could not initially get a game as well.

My list of players is based on players I think may become available. Your list looks like it is based on who you think we should target, 2 different exmples.
Unless you know something about McPharlin wanting to leave W.A? He initially left Hawthorn to go back home to W.A.
Also I have not heard anything about Petrie wanting out either. Being able to take ok marks should not be the basis for picking up Lonergan. Robertson takes very good marks.

Scorlibo
20-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Do you have proof that Maguire is lost to the modern game? I said he would have to prove he has not lost his mobility. So what if Henderson was picked in the same draft as Grant, what does that matter? You state that Henderson is a worse prospect, why?
On Drum, so what if he cannot get a game? Peter Bell could not initially get a game as well.

My list of players is based on players I think may become available. Your list looks like it is based on who you think we should target, 2 different exmples.
Unless you know something about McPharlin wanting to leave W.A? He initially left Hawthorn to go back home to W.A.
Also I have not heard anything about Petrie wanting out either. Being able to take ok marks should not be the basis for picking up Lonergan. Robertson takes very good marks.

There's more proof of Maguire being lost to the modern game than there is to the contrary. As I said in my post, it's no use going out to solve our key forward woes and coming back with a young player, a fringe player, or a hack.

If we wanted Henderson, we would have taken him instead of Grant 2 years ago, that's what that matters! What has Henderson done to indicate that he will be a better player than Grant? Let alone the accomplished key forward we're looking for?

Drum can't get a game at Fremantle. If it was at Geelong or St Kilda or any decent team I would consider him, but he's competing for a spot with 18 year old first years, and failing.

I understand that our lists are two different things, what's concerning is that they don't overlap an awful lot - and Barry Hall is looking increasingly like our only option.

Desipura
20-08-2009, 02:44 PM
As I said in my post, it's no use going out to solve our key forward woes and coming back with a young player, a fringe player, or a hack.
Lonergan is not young but he is a fringe player and whether he is a hack, well some may say he is.
Gill & Hansen are fringe players so I think your arguments are not too strong based on your criteria above.

Topdog
20-08-2009, 03:48 PM

You keep harping on about Murphy but you are a fool if you think his injury history is anywhere near as bad as Hanson.

Since 2004 Hansen has played 76 games compared to Murphys 102. Murphy played 24 games last year and 17 the year before so he obviously has played a fair few 5 game streaks.

Hansen's highest goal tally is 24. He is crap.

Mofra
20-08-2009, 04:00 PM
You keep harping on about Murphy but you are a fool if you think his injury history is anywhere near as bad as Hanson.

Since 2004 Hansen has played 76 games compared to Murphys 102. Murphy played 24 games last year and 17 the year before so he obviously has played a fair few 5 game streaks.

Hansen's highest goal tally is 24. He is crap.
Who cares about his history from 4-5 years ago? Murphy's recent history suggests he is unlikely to finish a season with anywhere near the full compliment of games.

Youy can't tell me Josh Kennedy wouldn't keep alot of forwards out of a side anyway. The kid's a gun.

Sedat
20-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Who cares about his history from 4-5 years ago? Murphy's recent history suggests he is unlikely to finish a season with anywhere near the full compliment of games.
Only started missing some games from soft tissue wear and tear this year, but the point is valid about Bob being bashed around playing the quasi key forward role with his size. But the realilty is that Bob has more talent in his little finger than a plodder like Hansen has in his entire body.

Hansen has arguably achieved only marginally more as a key forward for West Coast than McDougall, whose 2004 season was as just as good as Hansen's 2006 season. Outside of 2006, Hansen has shown very little outside of a few sporadic good games. He really is Poo.

mighty_west
20-08-2009, 04:18 PM
. He really is Poo.

Rocket doesn't seem to think so!

bulldogtragic
20-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Do tell, can't make comments like that and not back it up.

HIP

Topdog
20-08-2009, 05:25 PM

That's great, it doesn't change my opinion and doesn't change Woosha's either.

The guy is more likely to not finish out a year than Murphy, who last year missed only 1 game.

mighty_west
21-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Do tell, can't make comments like that and not back it up.

HIP

Did he not make a play for Hansen last year likewise with Barry? But Hansen decided to stay.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
With Ash Hansen asking to stay and fight for a spot at the WCE, I now declare the 'Hansen is Poo' war over and the HIPs victorious in defending the Whitten Oval from more poo dud talls. I just want to thank the men (and women) for digging in and fighting the good fight while we lost some good men to the 'Get Ash Now' brigade, rest in peace brave soldiers. You all can return to life as normal as peace has returned, until we are needed again to defend the Whitten Oval from the likes of Hansen.

For the last time, HIP.

Sockeye Salmon
03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
With Ash Hansen asking to stay and fight for a spot at the WCE, I now declare the 'Hansen is Poo' war over and the HIPs victorious in defending the Whitten Oval from more poo dud talls. I just want to thank the men (and women) for digging in and fighting the good fight while we lost some good men to the 'Get Ash Now' brigade, rest in peace brave soldiers. You all can return to life as normal as peace has returned, until we are needed again to defend the Whitten Oval from the likes of Hansen.

For the last time, HIP.

Staker is available

Sedat
03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Staker is available
Don't take a SIP from that poisoned chalice either

bulldogtragic
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Don't take a SIP from that poisoned chalice either
Yes, exactly Sedat. Remember what happened to the Nazi guy at the end of 'The Last Crusade' when he had a SIP.

p.s. - The Indiana Jones Month Marathon is effecting my thought pattens. I may have to watch sex and the city or something else when there's nothing decent on tv. I suppose watching a talking horse in 'fashion' is a little like Mr Ed, and it did nothing to the older generations.