HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Dylan Addison
C: Lindsay Gilbee, Matthew Boyd, Nathan Eagleton
HF: Brad Johnson, Mitch Hahn, Robert Murphy
F: Jason Akermanis, Will Minson, Scott Welsh
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney
Int: Josh Hill, Liam Picken, Callan Ward, Easton Wood
Emg: Andrejs Everitt, Sam Reid, Brennan Stack

In: Picken, Murphy, Welsh
Out: Brennan Stack, Andrejs Everitt, Daniel Cross (ankle)

Welsh must have taken a break at Willy during the week.

I really thought Reid if fit would have been a nice swap for Cross. Still a chance I guess.

comrade
13-08-2009, 06:25 PM
We're rolling the dice with Welsh - let's hope the gamble pays off.

lemmon
13-08-2009, 06:25 PM
As expected, a kid, a scapegoat and an injury. Same old same old

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Good old Eagle, just kepps on keepin on. Good luck in your 200th, hopefully you may inspire the boys to have a win.

Go_Dogs
13-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Bit surprised about Welsh's inclusion for the trip up to Brisbane, thought Stack would get another go.

All in all though, about what was expected.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Good old Eagle, just kepps on keepin on. Good luck in your 200th, hopefully you may inspire the boys to have a win.

I've heard of people limping into their 300th, but this is ridiculous.

comrade
13-08-2009, 06:30 PM

The conservative selection policy continues.

I'm interested in what others think: does Rocket have too much faith in the experienced guys (particularly those that are underperforming) and not enough faith in our youngsters, or is he right in backing the entrenched guys as the kids coming through aren't up to it?

mighty_west
13-08-2009, 06:34 PM
No suprises there, great to see Easton get another game.

Rocco Jones
13-08-2009, 06:34 PM

I'm interested in what others think: does Rocket have too much faith in the experienced guys (particularly those that are underperforming) and not enough faith in our youngsters, or is he right in backing the entrenched guys as the kids coming through aren't up to it?

I definitely think Rocket has too much faith in the experienced guys (obviously it's OK to have faith in anyone who is performing by the way). Eade and co. seem to pick their 22 purely on who is in the best 22 for that week, so very short term.

I think he looks for any excuse to play older guys like Welsh, Hahn and Eagleton and conversely, any excuse to drop younger kids.

ledge
13-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Think its more experience in a big game, i have no problem with it, is he supposed to debut a new one every week for you to be happy?

Wood is still there i think Eade is doing it the right way.

Gradually give the kids games one at a time, not throw them to the wolves, once Wood is settled or gets dropped because he has had a sniff then bring in another, its what he has done with Stack, Hill, Ward etc.

Thats what i think and i agree with whats happening.

Rocco Jones
13-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Think its more experience in a big game, i have no problem with it, is he supposed to debut a new one every week for you to be happy?

Do you really think it makes any difference how big the game is with Eade? When does he ever drop an experience player? Hahn, Eagleton and Welsh haven't been dropped despite some shocking performances, when our kids display the same form they automatically get dropped.

Topdog
13-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Happy that our forward line will look better.
Sad that Eagleton gets in again.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Easy way out.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Easy way out.

I think it's fairly okay for this week.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 06:51 PM

Pretty much:D Unfortunately I'm going to make the call! I don't think we can win another game this year:(

Rocco Jones
13-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Welsh is shocking when he is underdone. To bring him straight back in after an injury, especially when it's a trip to Brisbane, is nuts to me. I would LOVE for Welsh to prove me wrong.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Pretty much:D Unfortunately I'm going to make the call! I don't think we can win another game this year:(

based on the selections??

Mofra
13-08-2009, 07:02 PM
No suprises there, great to see Easton get another game.
Ditto, was hoping he'd keep his spot.

Mofra
13-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Welsh is shocking when he is underdone. To bring him straight back in after an injury, especially when it's a trip to Brisbane, is nuts to me. I would LOVE for Welsh to prove me wrong.
If he plays. Emergencies not available until tomorrow?

Rocco Jones
13-08-2009, 07:04 PM
If he plays. Emergencies not available until tomorrow?

If he doesn't play for us, he won't be able to play for Willy. Not sure why we would be playing silly buggers with Welsh. He nor the emergency who comes in would hardly make much of a difference to the Lions planning.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 07:14 PM
So what has happened at the selection table?

Drop 2 youngsters, and keep underperforming senior players

Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

(That said, Everitt was a monty to be dropped, but Stack "deserved" another chance, unlike the Bald One, and perhaps Tommy Boy)

Templeton31
13-08-2009, 07:15 PM

harsh but fair. although (a) at this stage of the season with such big games I'm not sure what else he could do and (b) I thought the kid would be Wood so kinda pleased he survived.

FWIW I'd love to see Skipper get a go.

lemmon
13-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Wonder if we'll see Murph at CHF or on a back flank?

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 07:27 PM

+1

It's getting beyond a joke now.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I think we have adopted the philosophy of the Australian Cricket team. Hussey can go runless for two years and Hughes and Warner get dropped after one bad one. That old chestnut about being harder to get out, then get in.

Hasn't done any favours for the national side, as the only time they won recently was with stand-out performances by new players, ala North, Hughes, Hilfy and Siddle. All who are constantly in the gun, despite constant performances.

The bulldogs selection is following their lead and wouldn't you know it, our results are following theirs. Our latter season form has been not as good whilst we maintain selecting senior players in a rich vein of poor form.

I don't like it.

azabob
13-08-2009, 07:47 PM
To me it seems Eade has his best 22 players on a white board and once they are fit they are in the senior team regardless of their form or fitness.

He has never made big statements at our club. Propably the biggest one was dropping Jordan McMahon.

Did he do the same at Sydney?

Or it simply could come down to our youth just aint up to senior footy yet.

ledge
13-08-2009, 07:47 PM
After the 4th Test i hope we are following in the Aussies direction !

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 08:23 PM
To me it seems Eade has his best 22 players on a white board and once they are fit they are in the senior team regardless of their form or fitness.

He has never made big statements at our club. Propably the biggest one was dropping Jordan McMahon.

Or it simply could come down to our youth just aint up to senior footy yet.
Add to that white board a list of players he won't play. Skipper, Guy O'Keefe and Wight. Are all on that list.

He philosophy is simple play your best 22 all the time regardless of form. Great as long as the form turns around at some stage but in regards to older players sometimes the form just never comes back.

Rocco Jones
13-08-2009, 08:26 PM
He philosophy is simple play your best 22 all the time regardless of form. Great as long as the form turns around at some stage but in regards to older players sometimes the form just never comes back.

It's a shocking attitude. It hurts our depth, development and endorses complacency. Our club is like Orwell's Animal Farm. The older players and Eade are the pigs. Aker is Snowball.

Topdog
13-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Add to that white board a list of players he won't play. Skipper, Guy O'Keefe and Wight. Are all on that list.

Skipper = had plenty of opportunites and never grasped them. Also got injured a lot.
GOK = the interesting one that has never been picked. Seems like a bad attitude is holding him back but should have been given a run by now.
Wight = See Skipper.

Skipper and White really shouldn't be played.

Templeton31
13-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Yes it was the only thing my Swans mate who live in Sydney and go to all the games told me when Rocket was appointed.

Bulldog Joe
13-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I am pretty happy with the team.

Stack last week was terrible.
Everitt is brushed aside too easily. He has been given enough chances and needs to earn his spot.

Of the ins Welsh certainly provides more of a contest and demands respect from his opponent. Murphy and Picken are deservedly automatic selections.

For those calling for additional sackings

Williams - is clearly better than anyone else available for CHB and has performed much better since his return to the side than those criticising him seem to believe/understand.

Eagleton has had a problem with ball handling BUT he runs much harder to create than any of the younger players even Callan Ward. Eagle will require attention from Brisbane.

Mitch Hahn - probably the one I would be prepared to drop, because he only seems to perform against weak opposition. Unfortunately there is nobody that will provide the strength in the forward 50 that Mitch brings. I am hoping that Sam Reid will develop that. Mitch must be under threat if those returning from injury get through and we add Higgins, Cross and Gia back when they are fit and firing.

cambo
13-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Why do we seem to be the only team over the past 3 seasons to have end of year fade outs? are we the only team who increases training loads at this time of year? is that the reason? or is it that we continue to play our so called best experinced players when they have been out of form for so long?
Every year these same questions are asked of our club why why why???
Someone please help relieve my frustration
Thanks Cambo

AndrewP6
13-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm fine with Eade not tinkering too much at this late stage...if some of the kids were going to get a game, it would've happened by now, and we can't afford to switch things up in Rd 20 when we're trying to hang on to top four. I just think some of them mustn't be up to it at the moment. As for the "underperforming" seniors, Welsh has clearly been hampered by injury, and to be honest, I prefer the devil you know, rather than the devil you don't.

Good to see Slim back, hope Wood improves...

GVGjr
13-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Why do we seem to be the only team over the past 3 seasons to have end of year fade outs? are we the only team who increases training loads at this time of year? is that the reason? or is it that we continue to play our so called best experinced players when they have been out of form for so long?
Thanks Cambo

It's a good question and it's disappointing that we are going through it again. We deliberately never had a crack at the pre-season cup to make sure our full focus was on the home and away season and yet the signs are there again that we are fading. Despite Eade saying we aren't in a heavy training programme, so that we can freshen up before the finals, it might explain why we are lacking a bit of zip at the moment.

BulldogBelle
13-08-2009, 11:31 PM
It's a good question and it's disappointing that we are going through it again. We deliberately never had a crack at the pre-season cup to make sure our full focus was on the home and away season and yet the signs are there again that we are fading. Despite Eade saying we aren't in a heavy training programme, so that we can freshen up before the finals, it might explain why we are lacking a bit of zip at the moment.

Last season we had a late season decrease in performance, which was attributed to an increase in training load for the finals

Agree that we performed OK in the finals, apart from our choke against Hawthorn, and Geelong simply outsmarting us, but considering we are fighting for positions 3-6 I wouldnt think we would be playing with form

We loose against Collingwood (again) and Geelong (again) and it will be the fitness above the shoulders that will kill us in the finals

macca
14-08-2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks Cambo

Cambo, that is a good question. I think this idea of endurance condition come end of season is bollocks. Surely teams want to be fresh for finals, injury free, and not have fagtigue on see. This really backfired for Adelaid in the finals of 2006 or was it 2007.

We should have played more kids against the bottom . Its a wasted opportunity, as all these teams are lacking something major in their team , the tigers having too many crap players.

If you look at list of kids of last 2 years, draft, Hill has played the most 38 games and Everitt ( who played most of them in his first year). Its quite small compared to Crows, collingwood and even the saints. Kids 3rd year on the list , they should be looking to play at least 10 games, but who on our list will be ready for that next year ?

bornadog
14-08-2009, 09:54 AM

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/wbAFLcover300x365.jpg

LostDoggy
14-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Eagleton has had a problem with ball handling BUT he runs much harder to create than any of the younger players even Callan Ward. Eagle will require attention from Brisbane.

Er, they'll just sit off him (or corral him onto his right side) and wait for the inevitable mistake.

Sedat
14-08-2009, 12:12 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/wbAFLcover300x365.jpg
Just as I suspected, the media (a couple of notable exceptions aside) has absolutely no idea when it comes to the Bulldogs. Fancy not mentioning the bald one as our scapegoat.

LostDoggy
14-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I am pretty happy with the team.

Stack last week was terrible.
Everitt is brushed aside too easily. He has been given enough chances and needs to earn his spot.

Of the ins Welsh certainly provides more of a contest and demands respect from his opponent. Murphy and Picken are deservedly automatic selections.

For those calling for additional sackings

Williams - is clearly better than anyone else available for CHB and has performed much better since his return to the side than those criticising him seem to believe/understand.

Mitch Hahn - probably the one I would be prepared to drop, because he only seems to perform against weak opposition. Unfortunately there is nobody that will provide the strength in the forward 50 that Mitch brings. I am hoping that Sam Reid will develop that. Mitch must be under threat if those returning from injury get through and we add Higgins, Cross and Gia back when they are fit and firing.

Agree with all of this

Fair dinkum, calls for the inclusion of Skipper and Wight?

Give Stack another go? I doubt whether I have ever seen a recruit so out of his depth as Stack was in his first and third games. Yes, he got 4 goals in his second. Don't hold your breath till that happens again.

Claims that Eade prefers old blokes? Easton Wood?

Give GOK a go? No tank, no speed and a poor attitude?

Higgins and Gia back in and the Eagle may well struggle to keep his place but until then, he remains the best bet - unfortunately.