PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Gilbee

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Can we please start playing this bloke in the backline and get him the football at every possible occasion, as we have previously.

Harbrow has done this job very well, however i believe you will get more use out of Gilbee in defence and possibly Harbrow froward, if not just play them both in defence.

We look so much better when he has the ball.. Last few weeks he has been averaging less than 10 kicks, which is disturbing considering he's the best ball user in the side. Yes he often gets a forward play a defensive role when he goes into defence, but we need to look after him and get him the ball at every possible occasion.

He won All Australian Honours playing in this role ffs! I personally think he is wasted playing forward, yes he may be averaging a goal a game but i think he can set up numerous goals from defence a game.

The games Gilbee has got a high possesion count we win...

LostDoggy
14-08-2009, 12:00 AM
I think someone has a mancrush on Gilbee! ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Gibee struggles to have an influence in the midfield. He's far better reading the play and beginning the counter attack from the back half as opposed to winning the ball, making space and then trying to spot up targets.

No idea why his role has changed dramatically this year.

At times he's be OK up forward but his best work is by far done behind the ball.

LostDoggy
14-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Lindsay was moved up the ground to counter the forward tag he was getting every week, which was diluting his influence. However, opponents were only able to do this last year because we had no other good ball users coming out of defence (Griff having moved into the middle).

What the Saints have been able to do so well this year is have three half backers/defensive players who can use the ball well (Gilbert, Fisher and Goddard) so it's near impossible to shut all three of them down, especially when you rotate others through down there like Ray who can pinch hit.

If we do what mjp and others have suggested and move Griff back to the HB flank (with Ward taking over his spot in the middle full-time), we would have a half-back line of Harbrow, Gilbee and Griffen (combined with Lake, Williams, Hargrave and Morris as the other defenders rotating through), which looks a lot more dangerous and mobile than a half back line of say Gilbee, Tiller and Tim Callan (what we had sometimes last year, which allowed sides to shut Gilbee down) and more than matches the Saints for forward thrusts.

The only question mark will be around accountability and defensive nous, but Lindsay and Ryan developed there, and Harbrow is holding his own, so what we may lose a little in defensive hardness we should more than make up for in football intelligence and rebounding capacity.

anfo27
15-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Lindsay was moved up the ground to counter the forward tag he was getting every week, which was diluting his influence. However, opponents were only able to do this last year because we had no other good ball users coming out of defence (Griff having moved into the middle).

What the Saints have been able to do so well this year is have three half backers/defensive players who can use the ball well (Gilbert, Fisher and Goddard) so it's near impossible to shut all three of them down, especially when you rotate others through down there like Ray who can pinch hit.

If we do what mjp and others have suggested and move Griff back to the HB flank (with Ward taking over his spot in the middle full-time), we would have a half-back line of Harbrow, Gilbee and Griffen (combined with Lake, Williams, Hargrave and Morris as the other defenders rotating through), which looks a lot more dangerous and mobile than a half back line of say Gilbee, Tiller and Tim Callan (what we had sometimes last year, which allowed sides to shut Gilbee down) and more than matches the Saints for forward thrusts.

The only question mark will be around accountability and defensive nous, but Lindsay and Ryan developed there, and Harbrow is holding his own, so what we may lose a little in defensive hardness we should more than make up for in football intelligence and rebounding capacity.

You make some good points Lantern with the saints but i think one thing the saints do a hell of a lot better than us is protecting the ball carrier. Gilbee gets that hard tag every week down back and he doesn't get that protection that he needs to have an influence.

I like the idea of him going forward cause every time he gets the ball you know that we are going to have a shot on goal. But in reality he just doesn't get the ball enough in that role as yet. The team should be instucted to get the ball in his hands at every opportunuty and i think that overal he doesn't work hard enough to have an influence.

Harbrow has been good back there but gets exposed for his lack of size & nous eg. Milne & Stokes both kicked 5 on him. If we could get Tim Callan size & give it to Harbrow we would be on a winner there.

Ghost Dog
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
watching the replay of Sunday's game, I was really inspired by Lindsay's effort against Adelaide. Often noted for his kicking skill, but not so much his ability in the contest, he really put his head over it and tackled hard. Lindsay, power to you. Does LG have a nickname?

The Coon Dog
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Does LG have a nickname?

Yes, it's Toast.

Ghost Dog
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Why? :) dare I ask.

chef
10-08-2010, 12:06 AM
watching the replay of Sunday's game, I was really inspired by Lindsay's effort against Adelaide. Often noted for his kicking skill, but not so much his ability in the contest, he really put his head over it and tackled hard. Lindsay, power to you. Does LG have a nickname?

And he also was unwell while he did this.

LostDoggy
10-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Let's hope his kicking gets as good as it was last season.

Mofra
10-08-2010, 10:56 AM
The emergence of Wood, Murph playing in defence and Shaggy coming into form mean a hard defensive tag on Gilbee is likely to be less effective than it was last year.
Gilbee seems to be playing with a harder edge, noticed it late last year and was especially noticeable last game.

chef
23-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Got to meet and feed Lindsay today. Nice guy.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Got to meet and feed Lindsay today. Nice guy.

You must have a special menu for footballers. Being a chef must be a great way to meet people, catering for them. Someone said civilisation started around a meal, they certainly bring people together.

chef
27-11-2012, 08:05 PM
You must have a special menu for footballers. Being a chef must be a great way to meet people, catering for them. Someone said civilisation started around a meal, they certainly bring people together.

I've fed a fair few footy players and have always found they are pretty basic eaters due to their dietary requirements. Poached eggs or Vegemite on un buttered toast is usually the norm for breakfast, except for the beard who didn't hold back.

EasternWest
27-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I've fed a fair few footy players and have always found they are pretty basic eaters due to their dietary requirements. Poached eggs or Vegemite on un buttered toast is usually the norm for breakfast, except for the beard who didn't hold back.

Well of course. The beard would be a ravenous beast. But what did Huddo eat?

LostDoggy
28-11-2012, 09:13 PM

I could picture him like this;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Edgecutiona/huddofeast.jpg

EasternWest
28-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I could picture him like this;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Edgecutiona/huddofeast.jpg

Ha ha. Very nice.

chef
28-11-2012, 09:31 PM

A Big Breakfast of course.

I must say Andy Walker is a good eater too, must have a good metabolism.