PDA

View Full Version : Jade Rawlings, too honest this week?

bulldogtragic
14-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I've never been a defender of Rawlings, until now. Sports today was reporting Jade is "1,000,000 to 1" to get the Richmond coaching job after saying the culture at Richmond is poor. It was reported head-in-the-sand Richmond power brokers took exception to the moment of honesty.

One, how can you ever fix a problem until someone says what they all actually know?

Two, is there such a thing as being too honest? Because, if true, it's bullshit and Richscum will get another few years or the same old. Which i don't care about, but it would be an injustice for someone not to get the gig because they were honest.

Happy Days
14-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Rawlings should have the coaching job by now; he's completely transformed the club in his time there. All things considered, breaking even is a phenominal achievement.

I can undersand how his honesty can be a bad thing from a corporate point of view, but it has been refreshing, provided good value, and for the most part has been 100% correct.

Appointing Rawlings is the right decision for Richmond going forward; so, of course, it won't happen. That club is an absolute shambles.

AndrewP6
14-08-2009, 10:03 PM
On the "honesty is refreshing" scale, this is a 10. Unfortunately, I think it's also career suicide. How many job applicants would be successful, if, during a trial period, they stood up and said "The culture here sucks"?

GVGjr
14-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I've never been a defender of Rawlings, until now. Sports today was reporting Jade is "1,000,000 to 1" to get the Richmond coaching job after saying the culture at Richmond is poor. It was reported head-in-the-sand Richmond power brokers took exception to the moment of honesty.

One, how can you ever fix a problem until someone says what they all actually know?

Two, is there such a thing as being too honest? Because, if true, it's bullshit and Richscum will get another few years or the same old. Which i don't care about, but it would be an injustice for someone not to get the gig because they were honest.

Jade was always going to struggle to get the gig but I think he has acquitted himself very well.
Only established coaches can call it as they see it so yes you can be too honest.
Look at Aker and Eade, jeez there is a contrast in their communications to the media and only one of them will ever be a senior coach :)

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Rawlings should have the coaching job by now; he's completely transformed the club in his time there. All things considered, breaking even is a phenominal achievement.
How has the club changed since he has been there?
Its still the same Richmond. Ben Gale's appointment will keep them in the right direction for us non richmond fans.

anfo27
15-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd like to see Jade get the job because i loathe Richmond and think it would be a very bad move. I dont like what i have seen from Jade & they certainlyare not playing better football under him. I would love them to continue as the village idiots of the AFL for another 20 years.

Topdog
15-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I said to my Tiger supporting best mate at the start of the week that they should sign him up straight away. Their culture of dropping their heads has been evident for the past 10 years and no one has moved to fix it. Finally someone who is in charge questions it and he gets canned.

Hopefully they don't sign him and get someone else who won't go in and charge their attitude.

Ernie the club has changed by giving game time to younger players, dropping players who didn't play to his standards, getting rid of the old players who clog up the list (Bowden) and threatening young guns who have taken their spot in the team for granted. I hate Richmond with a passion but anyone claiming they haven't changed under Jade is taking their hatred to the depths of deludedville.

I'm interested to hear how appointing Ben Gale is going to hinder them though.

bornadog
15-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I'd like to see Jade get the job because i loathe Richmond and think it would be a very bad move. I dont like what i have seen from Jade & they certainlyare not playing better football under him. I would love them to continue as the village idiots of the AFL for another 20 years.

Here Here

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Ernie the club has changed by giving game time to younger players, dropping players who didn't play to his standards, getting rid of the old players who clog up the list (Bowden) and threatening young guns who have taken their spot in the team for granted. I hate Richmond with a passion but anyone claiming they haven't changed under Jade is taking their hatred to the depths of deludedville.
Richmond need a culture change and Jade Rawlings ain't going to do it. Getting rid of old was expected under any new coach and any new club. Its hardly a revolution they need.

I'm interested to hear how appointing Ben Gale is going to hinder them though.

Easy Ben Gale is a d...head of the highest order. Its great news for the APA.

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Going on last weeks and this weeks Richmond results, things have changed so much that they are now getting beaten by 50 and 100 points.

westdog54
15-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Easy Ben Gale is a d...head of the highest order. Its great news for the APA.

Would you mind clarifying that well constructed piece of analysis?

How has he set the APA backwards and how will he do the same with Richmond?

Or are you being blinded by your vehement hatred of the AFL's illicit drugs policy and the support the APA gives it?

The Coon Dog
15-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Or are you being blinded by your vehement hatred of the AFL's illicit drugs policy and the support the APA gives it?

Oh oh! Here we go again! ;)

ledge
15-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Well it astounds me, new coach and they still find a way to implode within weeks, i bet Jade wishes he had not taken the reigns.
Not so much the team but the upstairs way of thinking.

Happy Days
15-08-2009, 06:43 PM
How has the club changed since he has been there?

They're playing better than they were before?

Sure they're going to get belted; they're a junk team. But at least they've tried, and even at times looked good under Jade.

They were insipid under Terry, and have looked at least twice the team since he left.

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Would you mind clarifying that well constructed piece of analysis?

How has he set the APA backwards and how will he do the same with Richmond?

Some great detective work there. How have you tied this up with the drugs debate?

Ben Gale being a dickhead is my opinion, I know a few others here think that. The AFLPA are much better with him gone.

Are you blinded by your vehement hatred of me?

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 07:09 PM
They're playing better than they were before?

Sure they're going to get belted; they're a junk team. But at least they've tried, and even at times looked good under Jade.

They were insipid under Terry, and have looked at least twice the team since he left.
Very debatable given the results.

They looked good late last year under Wallace and beat the eventual premiers.

Happy Days
15-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Very debatable given the results.

They looked good late last year under Wallace and beat the eventual premiers.

They looked good last year, when their senior players were playing well for them.

They were trash earlier this year when their seniors went missing. Jade has got the younger ones (i.e: Edwards, Tambling, Vickery, Post, etc) firing, hence the improvement.

Sockeye Salmon
15-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Some great detective work there. How have you tied this up with the drugs debate?

Ben Gale being a dickhead is my opinion, I know a few others here think that. The AFLPA are much better with him gone.

I'm with Ernie, I think Benny Gale is a dickhead, too.

I'm mostly against him for his handling of the free agency issue.

Free agency will be great for a few, bad for most and an unmitigated disaster for the game.

The Underdog
15-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm with Ernie, I think Benny Gale is a dickhead, too.

I'm mostly against him for his handling of the free agency issue.

Free agency will be great for a few, bad for most and an unmitigated disaster for the game.

Surely it's good for the player's wallets and therefore something the head of the AFLPA would advocate.

I agree it will **** the comp but surely that's up to the AFL admin to negotiate and deal with.

Sockeye Salmon
15-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Surely it's good for the player's wallets and therefore something the head of the AFLPA would advocate.

I agree it will **** the comp but surely that's up to the AFL admin to negotiate and deal with.

Free agency will only benefit the really good players.

If Lake and Higgins are out of contract at the end of the year they will get huge salaries thrown at them.

The salary cap is still in place, so if the really good players are getting more, the standard run-of-the-mill players must get less.

In reality the Visy ambassador-type deals will become the norm and the best salary cap cheats will win.

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 11:04 PM
As President(?) of the AFLPA you would have to think he has some say in the way the game/competition goes into the future. He might think that free agency is good for the players but he fails see to how it will harm the game, fans, teams and therefore the players in the long run.

lemmon
15-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Agree with Sigley here, Gale has to remember that although he does represent the players he is still accountable to the game as a whole.

GVGjr
15-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Agree with Sigley here, Gale has to remember that although he does represent the players he is still accountable to the game as a whole.

Whilst that is actually Andy D's job, Gale has actually been very considerate. One of the main reasons why there hasn't been any real price hikes to go to the footy is that the players under Gale's leadership haven't been demanding huge salary increases.

He's primarily employed to look after the players and I think he's been OK to the game.
Free agency will come, it's just more about what version we will get.

AndrewP6
15-08-2009, 11:19 PM
I sense a case of "Wandering Thread Syndrome" here. :) X 10

westdog54
16-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Believe it or not I don't actually hate you, just your opinions on certain opinions, but if you're going to be like that and ignore the questions put to me then that's fine, I'll just ignore your posts from now on.

Given you didn't actually answer my question I'll assume you avoided it and move on.

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Believe it or not I don't actually hate you, just your opinions on certain opinions, but if you're going to be like that and ignore the questions put to me then that's fine, I'll just ignore your posts from now on.

Given you didn't actually answer my question I'll assume you avoided it and move on.
I don't give a stuff what you assume.

Read it again, your irrevelent question is answered and you didn't explain how you linked the drug debate with this.

You mighten hate me but you come from no where to snipe me.

mjp
16-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Given Rawlings has been at Punt Road for 2years I am surprised he is still blaming some sort of long-standing cultural issues for a loss. Or is he saying he has not influenced the culture in his time or that he didn't select a side with the correct mindset with regards winning? To me, this is complete avoidance of the issue(s) on the day and whether he believes it or not should have simply been quiet.

To me, if the cultural problem is within the player group, then why is he selecting those players? And why react by dropping first year players (Post) who had a bad day made worse by being assigned to a rampant Goodes and bringing back Bowden who (you would assume) is part of the 'long standing fabric' of the place?

All I got from it was a message - 'I am not ready for this job'.

boydogs
17-08-2009, 12:00 AM

You would think they would have stood up better against Collingwood after being challenged like that. I reckon it would be a mark against him not being able to get the players to respond to what he said

KT31
17-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Well it astounds me, new coach and they still find a way to implode within weeks, i bet Jade wishes he had not taken the reigns.
Not so much the team but the upstairs way of thinking.

Not as much as we regreted taking on Jade.

westdog54
17-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I don't give a stuff what you assume.

Read it again, your irrevelent question is answered and you didn't explain how you linked the drug debate with this.

You mighten hate me but you come from no where to snipe me.

The entirely relevant question I asked was how he has set back the APA and how will he do it with richmond. You answered with 'he's a d*ckhead'.

Given your thoughts on the illicit drug policy I made a reasonable assumption that this was the source of your dislike for Gale.

If you're going to go calling people d*ckheads on a public forum then expect to be called to account.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 08:34 AM
The entirely relevant question I asked was how he has set back the APA and how will he do it with richmond. You answered with 'he's a d*ckhead'.

Given your thoughts on the illicit drug policy I made a reasonable assumption that this was the source of your dislike for Gale.

If you're going to go calling people d*ckheads on a public forum then expect to be called to account.

Ok you can assume anyone I dislike its because of the drugs policy. Its in your head not mine.

Otherwise your question was already answered.
I'm not the first or the last to call someone a dickhead on this forum. There are ways to ask someone to clarify there position, attacking them personally (when its me) with incorrect assumptions must be yours .

aker39
17-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Otherwise your question was already answered.

Ernie, can you please tell me which post# in this thread where you answered the question.

I must have missed it.:confused:

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Starts here
'Ben Gale being a dickhead is my opinion, I know a few others here think that. The AFLPA are much better with him gone.'
The free agency stuff is common knowledge and discussed here by me included.
There are also a whole range of issues starting from when he was a player.
Sorry if going to be attacked personally and incorrect assumption made about me then they can please themselves with what they believe

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 11:51 AM
On the "honesty is refreshing" scale, this is a 10. Unfortunately, I think it's also career suicide. How many job applicants would be successful, if, during a trial period, they stood up and said "The culture here sucks"?

This (culture discussion) is actually something most progressive organisations require of their staff.. an organisation is only as strong as its people and how they interact (culture). Incoming staff are usually interviewed on their perception of the culture, scanned on their potential cultural issues/mismatches, and are run through tasks that demonstrate their own personal preferences and how they would deal with the dominant culture at their workplace.

I've personally been involved in two hires this year where the successful applicants basically did say (not literally) "the culture here sucks, here are some suggestions as to how to fix it", which was absolutely necessary for people hired as change agents in an innovative arm of an innovative company.

I would think an incoming head coach of a football team (other than in a succession coaching situation such as Collingwood's) is also expected to be a change agent (the assumption being that the place is in trouble, thus the old coach getting the sack).

Topdog
17-08-2009, 12:15 PM
To me, if the cultural problem is within the player group, then why is he selecting those players? And why react by dropping first year players (Post) who had a bad day made worse by being assigned to a rampant Goodes and bringing back Bowden who (you would assume) is part of the 'long standing fabric' of the place?

Not sure if you realise it but it was Bowden's send off game. Seeing as they have nothing to play for and are better off losing I think a 200+ game servant of the club should get a sendoff.

On the Gale issue, I am still none the wiser as to what he has stuffed up, even though it has apparently been answered numerous times.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 12:17 PM
On the Gale issue, I am still none the wiser as to what he has stuffed up, even though it has apparently been answered numerous times.

I think Ernie is saying that he stuffed up by being born..

Sedat
17-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Anyone else amused by the irony of the King/Didak incident and resultant hysteria over the weekend? If you substitute King for Libba, Didak for Knights, Maxwell for Campbell and Richmond for the Dogs, you pretty much replicate the aftermath of Round 2 2001.

ledge
17-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I prefer the blood bath where the story went KB apparently ran off to get oranges years ago.
Or the Mal Brown "take on all comers" bout.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 06:03 PM

I think Ernie is saying that he stuffed up by being born..

I already said the main reason one was his push for free agency.

Other reasons why I think he is a dickhead include his role in the bad blood between us and Richmond when he was playing. Including a match where he did a 'richo' with a mark on the line. Which either side of the fence you sit on the drug debate, I don't think his handling of the issue has been great eg. upset with the Cousins extra tests but didn't say peep when the afl deregistered him. I don't remember him going into bat for Chris Grant over his neck issue. Earlier this season he took a AFLPA paid 85K education trip to the USA for a job he is no longer in.

Like it or not he was a AFL arse-licker. He heard Demetriou say North would be dead in 6 months(surely a guy that is for the players would be upset that some players wouldn't be there anymore).

Thats the just the stuff I found/remember now. Do you want any more?

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I already said the main reason one was his push for free agency.

Other reasons why I think he is a dickhead include his role in the bad blood between us and Richmond when he was playing. Including a match where he did a 'richo' with a mark on the line. Which either side of the fence you sit on the drug debate, I don't think his handling of the issue has been great eg. upset with the Cousins extra tests but did say peep when the afl deregistered him. I don't remember him going into bat for Chris Grant over his neck issue. Earlier this season he took a AFLPA paid 85K education trip to the USA for a job he is no longer in.

Like it or not he was a AFL arse-licker. He heard Demetriou say North would be dead in 6 months(surely a guy that is for the players would be upset that some players wouldn't be there anymore).

Thats the just the stuff I found/remember now. Do you want any more?

You're a better man than me Ernie, for having reasons. I guess it's just me then that thinks he stuffed up by being born. :)

Topdog
18-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks Ernie.

Remi Moses
18-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Anyone else amused by the irony of the King/Didak incident and resultant hysteria over the weekend? If you substitute King for Libba, Didak for Knights, Maxwell for Campbell and Richmond for the Dogs, you pretty much replicate the aftermath of Round 2 2001.

Thinking the same thing Sedat. The irony of it all:p:p

Don't have any opinion on Gale,years ago he was quoted saying there were to many clubs. he'd have to be the only Union leader advocating for less members:eek: