Possible injuries after last night:

Williams - Foot

Johnno - Corky

Murphy - hip

Griffen - hamstring tightness before the game

Recovering

Gia - return via Willi?
Higgns - test?
Cross - Sunday footy show Doc Larkin - claim 2 to 3 weeks?

Will be an intersting week to see how the boys pulled up.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2009, 02:08 PM
In: Higgins and Missy - If fit. Tiller for Williams if needed for the foot.

Out: DFA, Wood (unlucky), Williams (if injured)

Gia and Cross come back round 22 if fit.

bornadog
16-08-2009, 02:12 PM
In: Higgins and Missy .

I guess you mean Griff?

Wasn't it great to see him (Higgins) on the ground after the game congratulating the boys.

mighty_west
16-08-2009, 02:13 PM
In: Higgins and Missy - If fit. Tiller for Williams if needed for the foot.

Out: DFA, Wood (unlucky), Williams (if injured)

Gia and Cross come back round 22 if fit.

2 Shauny's back inthe side, nice, if only we had 2 Chris Grants in the 90's. :p

Tiller hasn't played for Willy for months, not too sure if he's playing today, he would be well underdone.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I guess you mean Griff?

Wasn't it great to see him (Higgins) on the ground after the game congratulating the boys.
Whoops. Griff even.

As for Tiller, i'd take a half fit tiller over Wight anyday of the week. As much as i love the Bou, i'm not sure Tommy Hawkins and Cam Mooney are the right players to debut him on.

Happy Days
16-08-2009, 03:39 PM
In: Higgins, Griffen

Out: Williams (inj.), Wood

Bit risky in terms of size going in with Morris on either Mooney or Hawkins, but he's good enough to give either of them a bath. Boumann and Stevie T aren't ready yet, and Wight simply isn't good enough.

DFA should be the one dropped, but I'd bet the house that Wood gets the chop for Shauny.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Can we go a game without an injury to a key player?

It's very difficult to predict our ins and outs with all the injury doubts but after last night I would go with minimal changes.

Higgins and Griffen obviously back in if they are fit. Wood seems like he will be first in line to be dropped, with Addison right behind him. I wouldn't replace Williams with another key defender. Ideally we would but Tiller is underdone, Boumann isn't ready and Wight is a dud. Morris had a strong game against Mooney in the prelim last year and perhaps we could use Lake to exploit Hawkins.

The only way I would bring in a key-defender is if a few of our players don't come up and we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for runners anyway.

becmatty
16-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Out: Williams, Reid, Wood
In: Griffen, Higgins, Cross

Rocco Jones
16-08-2009, 08:56 PM

We probably would be happy with Cross even being ready for the Collingwood game.

lemmon
16-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Out- Tommy, Addison
In- Griffen, Cross/Higgins whichever is fit otherwise Everitt

strebla
17-08-2009, 12:29 AM
I am surprised that you all seem to think that Mooney will play!!!

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 09:16 PM
So who replaces Griff?

Mantis
17-08-2009, 09:17 PM
So who replaces Griff?

What do you mean?

The Underdog
17-08-2009, 09:19 PM
So who replaces Griff?

Reid replaced him last week as a late replacement. So if he doesn't play he's not an out. Probably means Reid or Wood stays in.

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 09:21 PM
What do you mean?

Given we're playing the Cats and that everyone was expecting to him to return, would we consider a different replacement now than say leaving Wood in the side?

Happy Days
17-08-2009, 09:21 PM
What about O'Keefe?

Had another blinder for Williamstown by all accounts, and could be the end of the road if this isn't the week.

bulldogsman
17-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I am surprised that you all seem to think that Mooney will play!!!

He's playing

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Reid replaced him last week as a late replacement. So if he doesn't play he's not an out. Probably means Reid or Wood stays in.

Both pretty inexperienced to take on the Cats, although I suppose the only other options are Everitt or Callan if Tiller is replacing Williams..

Mantis
17-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Given we're playing the Cats and that everyone was expecting to him to return, would we consider a different replacement now than say leaving Wood in the side?

I am happy to leave Wood in there if required.

bulldogsman
17-08-2009, 09:25 PM
What about O'Keefe?

Had another blinder for Williamstown by all accounts, and could be the end of the road if this isn't the week.

If Johnson, Murphy, Williams and Griffen are all out then yes.

comrade
17-08-2009, 09:28 PM
If Johnson, Murphy, Williams and Griffen are all out then yes.

I doubt it.

Stack, Everitt, Tiller and Higgins will all come in before O'Keefe.

bornadog
17-08-2009, 09:57 PM
In: Higgins, Everitt

Out Williams, Wood

Mantis
17-08-2009, 10:15 PM
In: Higgins, Everitt

Out Williams, Wood

What role do you have in mind for Everitt?

bornadog
17-08-2009, 10:17 PM
What role do you have in mind for Everitt?

the role that Williams would have had. Unfortunately, we have no one else of that height that we can choose from.

Mantis
17-08-2009, 10:20 PM
the role that Williams would have had. Unfortunately, we have no one else of that height that we can choose from.

He hasn't been able to play any type of role in defence with success this year. I would think they would go in under-sized rather than play Everitt as cover for Tom.

comrade
17-08-2009, 10:20 PM

Depending on his fitness, I'd prefer Tiller as a defensive option. He doesn't have the foot skills of Everitt, but I'd back him to do a better job on one of Geelong's plethora of mid sized forwards.

anfo27
17-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Depending on his fitness, I'd prefer Tiller as a defensive option. He doesn't have the foot skills of Everitt, but I'd back him to do a better job on one of Geelong's plethora of mid sized forwards.

What about Tim Callan? We need someone with a bit of bulk against the cats. Stokes kicked 5 on Harbrow last time & i know Harbrow is in great nick at the minute but he is not chunky enough to play on again.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2009, 10:36 PM
What about Tim Callan? We need someone with a bit of bulk against the cats. Stokes kicked 5 on Harbrow last time & i know Harbrow is in great nick at the minute but he is not chunky enough to play on again.

Callan could be a good choice considering we are playing Collingwood the following week with their talented small forwards

Hmmmmmmm

In
Higgins. Callan.

Out
Williams (inj). Wood.

If Griff is available then bring him in at the expense of Reid

I would choose Reid over Wood against teams like Geelong due to his strength and ability to win the ball

comrade
17-08-2009, 11:08 PM

We need to be smarter as a defensive unit and not let Harbrow get isolated one on one - he's just not physically able to match it in the air with someone like Stokes yet.

Callan could come in but his last few weeks have been injury interrupted and I think Tiller provides more flexibility.

Jasper
18-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Good Point on Callan. Okeefe has to come in after 30 touches and 11 tackles he has earned his stripes more than any of the players that have debuted this season.

In: Callan Higgins Okeefe

Out: Williams, Reid(if injured) Addison.

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Good Point on Callan. Okeefe has to come in after 30 touches and 11 tackles he has earned his stripes more than any of the players that have debuted this season.

In: Callan Higgins Okeefe

Out: Williams, Reid(if injured) Addison.

Go thread searching for anything about Guy and you will see why those stats don't matter.

In: 1 of Callan/Tiller/Everitt? & Higgins
Out: Griffin, Williams

Mantis
18-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Griffen didn't play last week (he was a late withdrawl, Reid replaced him).

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Why Reid & Wood? I thought they played serviceable games, and now we have also lost Griff and Tommygun, I can't see them being dropped. I like another poster, am a bit nervous about Everitt in the backline, and perhaps would prefer to see Callan back for a bit of toughness against the Cats. I assume he is fit? :confused:

Ozza
18-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Last time we played the Cats Hargrave didn't play - so Hargrave may well play on him this time. Stokes is very good overhead for a smaller type - but in any case - at least we have him back this time around - he is so important for match ups.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Last time we played the Cats Hargrave didn't play - so Hargrave may well play on him this time. Stokes is very good overhead for a smaller type - but in any case - at least we have him back this time around - he is so important for match ups.

I would hope that Hargrave picks up S.Johnson.

mighty_west
18-08-2009, 01:30 PM
We need to be smarter as a defensive unit and not let Harbrow get isolated one on one - he's just not physically able to match it in the air with someone like Stokes yet.

Callan could come in but his last few weeks have been injury interrupted and I think Tiller provides more flexibility.

I just wonder if Tiller would be match fit enough to come back in, and with Everitt not being suited to a key position role, you would have seen quite a bit of Boumann, how do you think he would go with having quality defenders around him in Lake, Morris & Hargrave? Or is he just too raw at this stage?

Mofra
18-08-2009, 01:54 PM
We probably wont have a choice as Morris is likely to play outside his weight division again with Williams out. Changes our whole structure.

Cyberdoggie
18-08-2009, 01:55 PM

You and me both!

I'm quietly confident we can take the cats this time.
Sure we both have injury concerns but we have the right players in to stop their key players. We just need someone to take care of Stokes.

Reid if fit has to stay in. Did some good in and under stuff and was physical at the contest.
With Cross out we can't rely on just Boyd to be the only one.

Wood didn't trouble feature much on the stats but didn't do anything wrong. If there is a better option then he will probably make way for it.

I hope Brad can get up for the game as he was a real inspiration up at the Gabba.
Played like a leader and inspired the troops. A feature of his that i have been a little critical of at times. He is old but he will take a good defender. Our forward line with the right balance of smalls can trouble the cats Defense.

Dazza
18-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Would Tiller be a chance? I'd be avoiding playing Everitt as a key position defender at all costs. Makes as much sense as using Hill as one. Most people will shoot me down for suggesting this... But is Wight a viable option? Sure he turns it over more than you'd hope for but last year he was getting the job done in the first 8 games or so with one very bad quarter a game. Given I think Williams is costing us 2-3 goals a game anyway (opinion only) I could see Wight coming in and getting the job done better than Everitt if he was just told to stick to his man and punch at all costs. That's if Tiller is not available though.

Jasper
18-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Go thread searching for anything about Guy and you will see why those stats don't matter.

I get that he missed a recovery session, but I think we could give him a taste similarly to the way hill was given a run ahead of time(Okeefe is far more deserved of a go than hill was) to show him what is required, It may give him the spark he needs. I believe he has all the tools to become a top liner, their is a lot of Higgins about him.

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Out Williams
In Higgins

Rocco Jones
18-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Yep, he was great on him in the prelim. I don't think we have anyone else who matches up well on him (not many in the league who do).

Scorlibo
18-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Out: Williams, Wood
In: Callan, Higgins

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Out Williams
In Higgins

Ditto for me

Rocco Jones
18-08-2009, 06:59 PM
A lot depends on where Tiller and Callan are after their injuries. I think they could add more to the side than Wood and Addison.

comrade
18-08-2009, 07:03 PM
A lot depends on where Tiller and Callan are after their injuries. I think they could add more to the side than Wood and Addison.

I concur - if Tiller is fit, I'd like to see him play on someone like Stokes in an attempt to free up Harbrow. If that doesn't work then he can play on one of the myriad of mid sized Geelong players that will rotate through their forward line.

IN: Tiller and Higgins
OUT: Williams and Addison

azabob
18-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I think we will have no choice to bring in Tiller as Im surely Geelong would look to bring back Ottens this week and he'd spend sometime up forward.

In: Tiller, Higgins

Out: Williams, Addison

Im hoping Wood's run and dash will give us more than Addison would in this department.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I concur - if Tiller is fit, I'd like to see him play on someone like Stokes in an attempt to free up Harbrow. If that doesn't work then he can play on one of the myriad of mid sized Geelong players that will rotate through their fprward line.

That's the role I would have him play in. He is a bit like a poor man's Shaggy, much more suited to smalls and mediums than talls.

The Pie Man
18-08-2009, 07:18 PM
They could go very tall against us on Friday

Lonergan played last week - when he's played this season, he's usually played in defence, though I note he kicked one last week (not sure how much time he spent forward)
Mooney 3.3 (and he reckons he's over his yips...pfft) and Hawkins 2.1

Shannon Byrnes is in cracking form, he kicked 3.1 from 15 touches, while Stokes was really quiet last week.

Last time we played them, Lonergan was dropped (likely for matchup purposes) but if plays and plays forward, Tiller or even Wight are an option... I know how likely Cam's promotion will be, but who knows.

If it's just Mooney & Hawkins as the talls, I'm happy with Morris/Lake on those two, Hargrave to a still unfit Steve Johnson, and Harbrow to either Byrnes or Stokes - who plays on the other one? Callan may well get a recall

Interesting times

Rocco Jones
18-08-2009, 07:21 PM
They could go very tall against us on Friday

Lonergan played last week - when he's played this season, he's usually played in defence, though I note he kicked one last week (not sure how much time he spent forward)
Mooney 3.3 (and he reckons he's over his yips...pfft) and Hawkins 2.1

If they want to play Lonergan and Hawkins in the forward line at the same time I think we should be anything but scared. Makes it even easier for Lake to exploit them. The modern game isn't too kind to dud tall forwards.

bornadog
18-08-2009, 08:26 PM
I think we will have no choice to bring in Tiller as Im surely Geelong would look to bring back Ottens this week and he'd spend sometime up forward.

In: Tiller, Higgins

Out: Williams, Addison

Im hoping Wood's run and dash will give us more than Addison would in this department.

do you think Addison maybe needed to pickup one of Geelongs small forwards. Stokes, or Chapman?

Mantis
18-08-2009, 08:33 PM
What are people's thoughts on Gia coming straight back in rather than spending a week at Williamstown?

Personally I think he is a very important and if he is right to go we might as well bring him straight in to at worst play a small forwards role. He would offer more in the team only 75% fit than Addison, Wood & Reid at the very least.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2009, 08:36 PM
What are people's thoughts on Gia coming straight back in rather than spending a week at Williamstown?

Personally I think he is a very important and if he is right to go we might as well bring him straight in to at worst play a small forwards role. He would offer more in the team only 75% fit than Addison, Wood & Reid at the very least.

An interesting point at the very least.

If the Grand Final was this week and he was '75%' or the like, I would have him straight in . I guess we need to find a balance between this week's needs and getting him ready for the finals. Obviously our game this week is huge and near finals like in importance.

The Pie Man
18-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Wouldn't be the first time the 'he'll come back via the VFL' line has been trotted out only to see the returning player in the 1's

I'd be happy to play him this week

azabob
18-08-2009, 09:01 PM
do you think Addison maybe needed to pickup one of Geelongs small forwards. Stokes, or Chapman?

Yeah you could be right about that one.

BulldogBelle
18-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I've heard a lot of talk of Cam Wight actually coming in, actual serious talk. I gave up on checking up on him and his form half way through the year, is this actually a chance? really? possibly? :eek:

anfo27
18-08-2009, 09:13 PM

i'd like to see Gia come straight in, fitness should'nt be an issue with him.

bornadog
18-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I've heard a lot of talk of Cam Wight actually coming in, actual serious talk. I gave up on checking up on him and his form half way through the year, is this actually a chance? really? possibly? :eek:

Where did you hear that?

BulldogBelle
18-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Just on Bigfooty.

boydogs
18-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Out: Williams (inj)
In: Higgins

Happy to swap Callan for Addison and Tiller for Wood if they are fit and ready

Backline
Mooney v Morris
Hawkins v Lake
S Johnson v Hargrave
Byrnes v Harbrow
Stokes v Addison
Chapman v Gilbee

Murphy or Welsh to go back if they send a 3rd tall down e.g. Lonergan or one of their ruckmen

Bumper Bulldogs
18-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Out: Williams (inj)
In: Higgins

Happy to swap Callan for Addison and Tiller for Wood if they are fit and ready

Backline
Mooney v Morris
Hawkins v Lake
S Johnson v Hargrave
Byrnes v Harbrow
Stokes v Addison
Chapman v Gilbee

Murphy or Welsh to go back if they send a 3rd tall down e.g. Lonergan or one of their ruckmen

Don't like Addison on Stokes or Gilbee on Chapman. I would prefer maybe Aker on Stokes and Addison on chapman with Gilbee playing off the wing pushing Ward/Hill into the forward line. chapman has spent a fair bit of time up the ground so I think Addison could bash and crash with him. Would also consider Callan brought in to play on Chapman.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Don't like Addison on Stokes or Gilbee on Chapman. I would prefer maybe Aker on Stokes and Addison on chapman with Gilbee playing off the wing pushing Ward/Hill into the forward line. chapman has spent a fair bit of time up the ground so I think Addison could bash and crash with him. Would also consider Callan brought in to play on Chapman.

Are you taking the piss?

Surely you have to be.

chef
18-08-2009, 10:01 PM
What's the story with Reid, is he injured or did he pull up alright after the game. I seem to recall that he finished the game on the bench injured with a groin or something.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Where did you hear that?

There's been a bit of talk about Wight over the last few weeks on SEN.

After every game the same guy rings up and moans about Williams being an ordinary player. At times he gives OK reasons, but he loses credibility the moment he suggests Wight and Skipper as alternatives. He keeps saying Wight is in fantastic form at VFL level. I nearly drive off the road every time.

bornadog
19-08-2009, 12:02 AM
There's been a bit of talk about Wight over the last few weeks on SEN.

After every game the same guy rings up and moans about Williams being an ordinary player. At times he gives OK reasons, but he loses credibility the moment he suggests Wight and Skipper as alternatives. He keeps saying Wight is in fantastic form at VFL level. I nearly drive off the road every time.

Trouble with Wight is that he has had every chance possible to make CHB his position. Williams has been out so many times, that he could have cemented a spot, but no, he just doesn't work hard enough, doesn't train well and seems not interested. As for Skipper, he hasn't had the chance as a spot hasn't opened for him, ie both ruckman are playing well and not injured and there is no other spot left.

Massive difference between VFL and AFL as far as fitness and intensity is concerned, just as GOK;)

Desipura
19-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I believe Gia will play
In: Gia & Higgins
Out: Williams & Wood

Its sounds like Eade is putting the pressure on Williams stating that his tolerance to pain will determine how quick he gets back. Is he questioning his ability to play through pain?
I have seen Williams come off a few times this season like he had done a knee only to see him come back and play shortly after.
Having said that, he did continue playing after breaking his foot on the weekend.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Gian injured his knee during the 2008 pre-season. He didn't play in any of the practice or intra-club matches but came straight into the side in Round 1 against Adelaide. He ended up being one of our best players. I think we need him on Friday night and would him in the 22.

Would anyone else consider playing both Tiller and Callan ahead of Wood, Reid and Addison? I think the latter two have a brighter future at the club but I think Tiller and Callan can offer more to the side through providing small-medium defensive options. Having small defenders will never be more vital than playing Geelong and Collingwood (and hopefully Geelong again) back to back. Their small forward/half forward depth is very impressive.

chef
19-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Gian injured his knee during the 2008 pre-season. He didn't play in any of the practice or intra-club matches but came straight into the side in Round 1 against Adelaide. He ended up being one of our best players. I think we need him on Friday night and would him in the 22.

Would anyone else consider playing both Tiller and Callan ahead of Wood, Reid and Addison? I think the latter two have a brighter future at the club but I think Tiller and Callan can offer more to the side through providing small-medium defensive options. Having small defenders will never be more vital than playing Geelong and Collingwood (and hopefully Geelong again) back to back. Their small forward/half forward depth is very impressive.

He played for Williamstown the week before round one.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2009, 07:32 PM
He played for Williamstown the week before round one.

Did he? Oh well there goes my wonderful precedent! :(

Rocket Science
19-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I believe Gia will play

Suspect likewise on Gia...if he's genuinely ready to lace them up again, I'm not sure why they'd bother doing it via Williamstown. I'd be surprised if the Catters weren't expecting him to play too.

Its sounds like Eade is putting the pressure on Williams stating that his tolerance to pain will determine how quick he gets back. Is he questioning his ability to play through pain?
I have seen Williams come off a few times this season like he had done a knee only to see him come back and play shortly after.
Having said that, he did continue playing after breaking his foot on the weekend.

Not sure about Rocket mounting more 'pressure' on Williams, although he's obviously anxious to get Williams back asap...I think it's a continuation of the coach's expression of genuine admiration for the Williams' ability to play under physical duress, which he's been required to do throughout much of his short career, as well as trying to maintain Williams' focus and confidence level.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I believe Gia will play

Eade praised him for playing on after breaking his foot 10 minutes into the game.

Desipura
20-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Eade praised him for playing on after breaking his foot 10 minutes into the game.
He did, however I read an article where Eade stated it depends on Tom's tolerance to pain to determine how soon he comes back

The Coon Dog
20-08-2009, 11:08 AM
He did, however I read an article where Eade stated it depends on Tom's tolerance to pain to determine how soon he comes back

Something you think poor Tom would be getting used to by now.