PDA

View Full Version : If Saints Lose

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2009, 07:42 PM
If the Saints get beaten today as is increasingly look likely, does it hurt or help their finals campaign, or is it inconsequential either way>

Is it possible to think a close loss might not cause them any problems as it wouldn't necessarily mean their 'system' had broken down?
On the flip side does a large loss especially, to a team not considered a Premiership threat put some doubts in the players mind?

I'm not sure, but I think I'd prefer the Saints to drop one before the finals. Given we may have to play them again I'd like both our guys and the saints guys knowing that they are but mortal and can be beaten.

Twodogs
16-08-2009, 07:45 PM
They've monstored us both times we've played this year I dont think that them losing one is going to make much difference on qualifying final day.

AndrewP6
16-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I hope they lose (can't believe I'm watching the game and BARRACKING for Essendon!) but don't think it'll make much difference in September.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2009, 07:48 PM
They've monstored us both times we've played this year I dont think that them losing one is going to make much difference on qualifying final day.

I am kind of thinking the same. Perhaps I am being too analytical but I want Essendon to lose to enhance Sydney's finals chances. The Swans remaining games are against our top 4 rivals Collingwood and Brisbane and I would like them to have as much motivation as possible to beat them.

Twodogs
16-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I am kind of thinking the same. Perhaps I am being too analytical but I want Essendon to lose to enhance Sydney's finals chances. The Swans remaining games are against our top 4 rivals Collingwood and Brisbane and I would like them to have as much motivation as possible to beat them.

Nope, fair point. CARN ESSENDON!!!!!!

AndrewP6
16-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Jeez, as I said last night - they're gonna **** this up!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Jeez, as I said last night - they're gonna **** this up!

I think you might be right tonight.

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 08:18 PM
What a bloody game. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeebus it coulda gone either way.

Had a multibet going unfortunately saints cost me bloody $180

EDIT: BOMBERS MISSED IT. MY GOD. RIEWOLTD....
CRAPCRAPCRAP

Scraggers
16-08-2009, 08:23 PM
If it bleeds ... We can kill it !!

Rocco Jones
16-08-2009, 08:24 PM
At least we aren't the only side that has a captain who can't win a game after the siren.

angelopetraglia
16-08-2009, 08:25 PM
You can't play God with your form.

DOG GOD
16-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Hurley and Pears were SENSATIONAL.

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Bombers by 2 points - Ay Caramba - St Kilda is beatable!

G-Mo77
16-08-2009, 08:30 PM
That would have been sweet to see Essendon lose after the siren.

lemmon
16-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Where'd Roo miss from?

DOG GOD
16-08-2009, 08:33 PM
about 30 out on a slight angle

lemmon
16-08-2009, 08:39 PM
about 30 out on a slight angle

Johnson V North type spot

bulldogtragic
16-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I like the captain threw away the record streak. I hope he has a nice big cry and feels better tomorrow.

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Great game. Watson is a genuine superstar. Essendon looked very inexperienced with those kicks across goal in the last quarter.

Topdog
16-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Damn, wanted Saints to win. It's impossible to go through a season undefeated (inc. finals).

The Pie Man
16-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Damn, wanted Saints to win. It's impossible to go through a season undefeated (inc. finals).

They've done them a favour, I agree

Still, at least other clubs can look at what was done right in the middle part of the game to extend the lead....though I suspect it was more St Kilda being flat than anything else.

BulldogBelle
16-08-2009, 09:27 PM
At least we aren't the only side that has a captain who can't win a game after the siren.

I was at a friends place (Bomber supporter) watching this game and that was the first thing I thought of...at least another captain has done the same thing this year. I don't feel so bad for Johnno now.

ratsmac
16-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Did I see Riewoldt's lip quiver after the game, poor ol' roo :(

BulldogBelle
16-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Wonder if St Kilda will come out and say that their training load was to blame for the loss

Would imagine they are training up in an attempt to peak in September...hence the flat performance today

Raw Toast
16-08-2009, 11:36 PM
What I think's important, is that Essendon showed one way to defeat the Saints - I didn't watch it, but it sounded from the radio that they took them on and won by doing so. We can't do that with pure leg-speed, but quick ball-movement is how we beat them twice last year, and I'd like to see us trying to do that again (if we play them).

I think I understand why we didn't do it last time, and without Welsh's bungle we were in the game in the last quarter, but I'd still like us to back ourselves in, rather than trying to nullify them for much of the match in a game played on their terms.

Sockeye Salmon
17-08-2009, 06:11 AM
No side that loses to another that is clearly inferior could ever possibly win a premiership.

Or am I a week late on that one?

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Anyone else find it ironic that the bombers were the team to end the saints tilt at an unbeaten run?

I mean after we did it to the bombers in 2000.
Around the same time of year too if I remember correctly.

Yep, just checked, round 21.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 12:05 PM
No side that loses to another that is clearly inferior could ever possibly win a premiership.

Or am I a week late on that one?

What were the Saints playing for? Sure, some abstract historical streak, but not much, really.

G-Mo77
17-08-2009, 01:11 PM
While we are on the game. I really wish another player would give Alwyn Davey a real reason to throw his head back when he is tackled. I'd love to see it ripped off his shoulders and then stomped on!

People get on Johno's back about staging for free kicks. :rolleyes:

Go_Dogs
17-08-2009, 05:46 PM
How did the Bombers keep the Saints to < 300 possessions? Amazing.

They have some very good young players and some super quick guys coming through, Atkinson looked very quick. Lot of like about the style of football they are playing.

comrade
17-08-2009, 05:57 PM

They have some very good young players and some super quick guys coming through, Atkinson looked very quick. Lot of like about the style of football they are playing.

I’m actually disappointed that Atkinson played so well, as I had my eye on him as a potential trade target. Now his value has gone up after a good showing against an A-Class opposition, so he’s probably off the table now.

He’d certainly add an element that we’re missing in our midfield – genuine pace.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I’m actually disappointed that Atkinson played so well, as I had my eye on him as a potential trade target. Now his value has gone up after a good showing against an A-Class opposition, so he’s probably off the table now.

He’d certainly add an element that we’re missing in our midfield – genuine pace.
I was thinking the same thing, i.e. trying to poach some pace from Essendon. Not sure we could get any of them as you say now.

bornadog
17-08-2009, 06:32 PM

Its called keepings off and accurate passing.

The one thing this game showed, the Saints are beatable. Has Lyon erred in making so many changes to the team in one hit over two weeks?

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Its called keepings off and accurate passing.

The one thing this game showed, the Saints are beatable. Has Lyon erred in making so many changes to the team in one hit over two weeks?

I don't know -- like I've said previously, the Saints were playing for nothing, and definitely have an eye on September, while the Bombers were playing for a place in the finals, so the motivation levels of both teams were way different, yet the Saints could have pinched the game but for the kicking frailties of Riewoldt. For all their superiority, Essendon ran out of legs pretty early in the final quarter.

If this was a Grand Final, the Saints would have won by 60 points. (Port beat Geelong in the final H&A game of 2007 in much the same situation, only for the Cats to pummel them in the Grannie a few weeks later).

hujsh
23-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Another loss. Bad preparation for finals?

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 04:54 PM
WELL DONE NORTH!!!

This is great stuff.

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Petrie you star!!!

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Ooh, they are starting to look a little shakey! I wonder if it will dent the confidence - surely it has to? Well done to North, and surely now two sides have shown others just how to beat the Saints?? I'm starting to feel a little more confident - we can beat Geelong, and maybe, just maybe, the Saints aren't as solid as earlier in the season. Not a good time to have a slump, eh? :p

Dry Rot
23-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Anyone watch the game? What tactic/gameplan did North use?

Go_Dogs
23-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Riewoldt apparently injured too. Maybe we do want to finish 4th...

lemmon
23-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Hmmm, the plot thickens :)

Mofra
23-08-2009, 05:30 PM
So the form sides hitting the finals could be sitting 3rd, 4th & 5th?

We really should be confident that we can get a week off after winning our first game - regardless of opponent.

Dry Rot
23-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Riewoldt apparently injured too.

Any details?

Topdog
23-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Riewoldt is fine and ran out the game.

North played a tough tackling game.

Montagna will probably miss 1 week.

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Would we rather be playing the Cats or Saints week one of the finals?
Which team seems to be struggling more?

Dry Rot
23-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Which team seems to be struggling more?

Cats I'd say.

Happy Days
23-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Lots of tackling - really cranked up the pressure in the midfield and their backline. Any time the ball came to ground, it would be swarmed on. They also tried to get as many numbers around the ball at every contest that they possibly could.

Their situation was helped by their backline, especially Thompson, playing out of their skins, and their efficiency going forward, as they had no where near the amount of inside 50's the Saints did.

Petrie also carried them over the line single handedly in the 4th.

anfo27
23-08-2009, 06:41 PM
North beat them in the tackle count 86-76, thats the key to beat these guys. Worrying signs for the saints, you can't just turn it on at the drop of a hat. I'd still rather play the cats though.

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Too scared to answer this until I see how we go next week against the ferals...

Dry Rot
23-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Lots of tackling - really cranked up the pressure in the midfield and their backline. Any time the ball came to ground, it would be swarmed on. They also tried to get as many numbers around the ball at every contest that they possibly could.

Their situation was helped by their backline, especially Thompson, playing out of their skins, and their efficiency going forward, as they had no where near the amount of inside 50's the Saints did.

Petrie also carried them over the line single handedly in the 4th.

North beat them in the tackle count 86-76, thats the key to beat these guys. Worrying signs for the saints, you can't just turn it on at the drop of a hat. I'd still rather play the cats though.

Thanks. Sounds very similar to how the Swans almost beat them.

Mofra
23-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Exactly how we beat Geelong. Bodes well.

Mantis
23-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Exactly how we beat Geelong. Bodes well.

Accept we have seen these types of performances on a far too irregular basis this year.

Have we got it in us to tackle & harrass like 'mad men' for more than 1 game in every 4 or 5? ( If we have we will give it a fair shake)

Bulldog4life
23-08-2009, 08:20 PM
It will be interesting to see how St.Kilda plays on the MCG in the finals.

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 08:26 PM
We have to be near 70-90 tackles in a game, if we are to beat the Saints.

bornadog
23-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Riewoldt is fine and ran out the game.

Had a chance to drill one from 55 metres to level the scores with 20 seconds to go, but it was punched through on the line.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Lots of pressure and more contested ball. And Drew Petrie stepping up when needed.

Saints are beatable now, especially when Riewoldt has the chance to at the end of both games to win/draw and doesn't provide the desired response.

I'm less worried about them now. Using the last two weeks as an isolated snapshot, we have momentum behind us while Geelong and St Kilda have come off the boil. I guess it's all about peaking at the right time of the year.

bornadog
23-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Lots of pressure and more contested ball. And Drew Petrie stepping up when needed.

Saints are beatable now, especially when Riewoldt has the chance to at the end of both games to win/draw and doesn't provide the desired response.

I'm less worried about them now. Using the last two weeks as an isolated snapshot, we have momentum behind us while Geelong and St Kilda have come off the boil. I guess it's all about peaking at the right time of the year.

North had 5 on the board before Saints kicked one, so they are really off the boil at the moment.

Dry Rot
23-08-2009, 10:04 PM
North had 5 on the board before Saints kicked one, so they are really off the boil at the moment.

Saints made a pretty poor start vs the Dons as well IIRC.