PDA

View Full Version : Eagleton, Murphy & West - Reported

BulldogBelle
21-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Eagleton, West and Murphy are all on report this week -

Murphy - Forceful contact on Raines in the Second Quarter ( this should be thrown right out the door doesn't look like much)

West - For wrestling with King in the last quarter ( this will probably cop him a fine )

Eagleton - For tripping Deledio ( this one, I am worried about )

bulldogtragic
21-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Some BF posters say they've seen the Eagleton incident slow-mo and it looks bad.

But if he's done it, he's done it and we'll move on.

The Coon Dog
22-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Some BF posters say they've seen the Eagleton incident slow-mo and it looks bad.

But if he's done it, he's done it and we'll move on.

The best way to describe it is just imagine Eagle is Dustin Fletcher & an opposition player is about to go past him & before he knows it his leg has come out, purely a reflex action with no malicious intent.

Probably on points he'll go over a hundred & draw a week, but with good behaviour & an early guilty plea he'll fall under the hundred & escape a penalty.

alwaysadog
22-04-2007, 10:46 AM
The best way to describe it is just imagine Eagle is Dustin Fletcher & an opposition player is about to go past him & before he knows it his leg has come out, purely a reflex action with no malicious intent.

Probably on points he'll go over a hundred & draw a week, but with good behaviour & an early guilty plea he'll fall under the hundred & escape a penalty.

I hope you're right about Eagle TCD.

Can anyone tell me if West has ever been reported or suspended, I can't recall any examples?

The worst Murph can get is a reprimand, they surely can't be wanting players to pull out of contests for the loose ball, unless they have forewarning of contact with a player's head. It was courageous rather than reckless IMHO.

bornadog
22-04-2007, 12:27 PM
There were two trips of West by Richmond players, were they reported?

GVGjr
22-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Worst case scenario is that these guys all miss a week. Who would replace them?
Aker, Monty and Faulkner?

alwaysadog
22-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Worst case scenario is that these guys all miss a week. Who would replace them?
Aker, Monty and Faulkner?

What's the prognosis on Power; suddenly everyone has forgotten how good he has been in building on his efforts late last year... and if Bobby is missing he has shown he can fill that void.

As irreplaceable as Westie is why wouldn't Crossie come back in? How badly hurt is he?

Aker plays a different role to Eagle but they could be swapped and others given Eagles run and carry role.

Power, Cross and Aker for me.

LostDoggy
22-04-2007, 08:58 PM
There were two trips of West by Richmond players, were they reported?

One was by the hands. Shouldn't go for that. Didn't see the other.
Eagleton lashed out with his leg

Go_Dogs
22-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Murph's incident seems reasonably similar to Bassett's. I think he should get off. Eagle will be in trouble though, could possibly go for a match, although I don't think the attempted trip was really all that bad.

LostDoggy
22-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Murph's incident seems reasonably similar to Bassett's. I think he should get off. Eagle will be in trouble though, could possibly go for a match, although I don't think the attempted trip was really all that bad.

Thats they way I read it to. Eagleton is the most likely to be given a spell.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Murphy's was about as different to Bassett's as you could imagine. Not relevant at all.

No chance he will go, I'm surprised it hasn't been withdrawn already.

Go_Dogs
23-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Murphy's was about as different to Bassett's as you could imagine. Not relevant at all.

No chance he will go, I'm surprised it hasn't been withdrawn already.

Not as far as how the incident occurred, but the same ruling would be used to see that Murph doesn't get penalised. ie. eyes for the ball, not the player. Even if he had seen the player, what chance did he have to pull up? Did he try to minimise contact once he was aware etc.

I'm aware Bassett's was an attempted smother, but it's basically the same thing IMO, and the same principles should be applied.

bornadog
23-04-2007, 04:48 PM
One was by the hands. Shouldn't go for that. Didn't see the other.
Eagleton lashed out with his leg

The second one was similiar, right on the final siren and the free was not taken by Westy. Does it make a difference if you trip by hand. Once upon a time a trip was regarded as almost the worst thing you could do an a football field. Jimmy Krakeour got 5 weeks for tripping.

aker39
23-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Don't have the full details, but there was no suspensions, only fines and reprimands

bornadog
23-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Reports:

West - can accept $900 fine
Eagleton, can accept a reprimand and 45 points
Murphy - Thrown out, no case to answer.

Go_Dogs
23-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Good news all round. Eagle should take that reprimand and tread carefully for the rest of the season. No real reason to think that he'd get rubbed out later. Great news.

A sigh of relief. Where are Crosie, Power and Aker at? Any chances for this week?

LostDoggy
24-04-2007, 01:47 PM
The second one was similiar, right on the final siren and the free was not taken by Westy. Does it make a difference if you trip by hand. Once upon a time a trip was regarded as almost the worst thing you could do an a football field. Jimmy Krakeour got 5 weeks for tripping.
5 weeks for tripping with the hand?
I could understand if a player is running full pelt and a guy grabs his leg, as there is a chance of injury, might be worth a week or two but five weeks?
The first one against West was in the middle of a pack, he basically just held him up from getting out of the pack. There are a lot worse things that don't go up and if they report these then its even more of a joke.

bornadog
24-04-2007, 02:15 PM
5 weeks for tripping with the hand?
I could understand if a player is running full pelt and a guy grabs his leg, as there is a chance of injury, might be worth a week or two but five weeks?
The first one against West was in the middle of a pack, he basically just held him up from getting out of the pack. There are a lot worse things that don't go up and if they report these then its even more of a joke.

Those were the days when indigenous players really coped it, but I can't remember if Jimmy tripped by hand or foot.

One of the worst tripping offences was when in 1992, the Hawthorn Player.... Dear, literally kicked Foster in an attempt to trip him and put him out for the rest of the year with a broken ankle (I think it was). You may recall, if we had have had a Foster in the Finals (including prelim), maybe Brownless would have been kept quiet and the results may have been different.

LostDoggy
24-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Those were the days when indigenous players really coped it, but I can't remember if Jimmy tripped by hand or foot.

One of the worst tripping offences was when in 1992, the Hawthorn Player.... Dear, literally kicked Foster in an attempt to trip him and put him out for the rest of the year with a broken ankle (I think it was). You may recall, if we had have had a Foster in the Finals (including prelim), maybe Brownless would have been kept quiet and the results may have been different.
Kicking is the right description. Broken leg. Foster was a tough bastard. He tried to stand and take his kick but couldn't put weight on it and fell.
He came back in 4? weeks but the plate got infected. Never really recovered the strength in his legs.

I think McKernan lost the Rising star award with a trip report. Not sure if it was a hand or foot one.

alwaysadog
24-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Back in the fifties and sixties maybe even the seventies games weren't that quick and tripping was not a big thing. As the game speeded up it caused a few serious injuries like the one below and became something the league tried to stamp out and really has done. quite effectively. Every now and then we get a player instinctively reacting like Eagle did and the league uses it to remind us that it is not on.

Fossie suffered a broken leg. To help the healing he had a rod inserted, but somehow an infection set in and he took much longer to get back to fitness and when he did he was never the same and played only a few more games. So the trip was career ending.

A fit Fossie would have made a huge difference to our final's campaign in 1992, but so would a fit Scott Wynd, Mark Hunter or Brian Royal.