PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hill's best game?

Cyberdoggie
17-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I thought i would start a thread on Josh Hill's game against the Lions.

Personally i thought it was probably his best effort. Not so much for his stats or goal tally etc, but because he worked so hard defensively and set up several goals with his vision and smart play.

The previous week against the Eagles i thought he was dissapointing, sure he was beaten by a class player but i thought his mind wasn't on the game and he stopped playing to his strengths. Josh was trying to nudge his opponent out like Brad Johnson but he didn't have the body size to do it. He also opted out of jumping for any marking contests.

On Saturday night i saw him chase the lions from the goal square all the way back to inside the lions 50. Unfortunately in that instance they scored but it wasn't Josh's fault. More likely the 5-6 other dogs who gave up their chase.

Josh also ran down several opponents and created many goal scoring opportunities for us.
This was the first time i've seen him play a consistent 4 quarter game they way he needs to.

We also saw the return of his marking ability, something that has been lost for a while.

I compare him to Leon Davis a lot because i see them as similar players. Leon was always much maligned due to his lack of effort at times but he has turned the corner as a player. The big difference between the 2 of them is that Leon will kick those mercurial goals on the boundary.

So far this year Josh has kicked 1 goal from the boundary that i can recall in well over 20 shots. His technique in the set shots looks to be all over the shop, his run up doesn't appear to be re-hearsed, his head isn't over the ball and he doesn't follow through properly for that sort of kick. If he can improve in this area and his contested marking then he will rise to another level.

Was it just me who thought it was probably his best game to date on saturday night?

Sedat
17-08-2009, 01:01 PM
The previous week against the Eagles i thought he was dissapointing, sure he was beaten by a class player but i thought his mind wasn't on the game and he stopped playing to his strengths. Josh was trying to nudge his opponent out like Brad Johnson but he didn't have the body size to do it. He also opted out of jumping for any marking contests.
I haven't had a chance to watch Saturday night's match yet, but I gave Hill Marmo votes against the Weagles - he worked as hard defensively as he's done in his career, and pleasingly it seems as thouhg he backed this defensive effort up again against Brisbane.

bornadog
17-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I thought it was one of his better games, particulalry in the last quarter when we needed someone along the wings to stand up. He created some opportunties as well as took some good strong grabs.

chef
17-08-2009, 01:11 PM
His kicking for goal was the only thing that let him down, but apart from that he was awesome.

Dazza
17-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Had a great game I'd agree. Also thought he was good against the eagles. That pass to murphy from the boundary line was extraordinary.

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I thought it was one of his better games, particulalry in the last quarter when we needed someone along the wings to stand up. He created some opportunties as well as took some good strong grabs.

I think it's fairly significant that he played on the wing in the last quarter and looked really good. Maybe it's time to reinvent the wingman in AFL footy-they've been banished for long enough I say!

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I was impressed with his chase downs, we dont often see that from him and its a good indicator that he is switched on.

Mantis
17-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Perhaps the spary he copped from Aker a few weeks back has done wonders as we have seen a big improvement in his intensity over the past 2 weeks.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2009, 05:55 PM
How good was his pick up that resulted in a Johnno goal?

Brad just misses the ball as does his direct opponent. Hill somehow scrapes it up, which gives Johnson just enough time to turn around, Hill then slides off a lovely handpass to Johnno who kicks truly from about 5m.

When his intensity and work rate is up, he is a terrific player, but when he slacks off he gets exposed big time. Certainly looks better on the wing too. Took a nice little interception mark and had a bit more freedom. Good he has a few strings to his bow though.

Sockeye Salmon
17-08-2009, 05:59 PM
How good was his pick up that resulted in a Johnno goal?

Brad just misses the ball as does his direct opponent. Hill somehow scrapes it up, which gives Johnson just enough time to turn around, Hill then slides off a lovely handpass to Johnno who kicks truly from about 5m.

When his intensity and work rate is up, he is a terrific player, but when he slacks off he gets exposed big time. Certainly looks better on the wing too. Took a nice little interception mark and had a bit more freedom. Good he has a few strings to his bow though.

That was a pretty good kick from Johnno too. Tight angle and didn't have time to straighten the ball before he dropped it so he had to adjust with his foot.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I much, much, much, much, much, much, much prefer Josh up the ground. A marking forward is not his ideal position.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2009, 06:47 PM
That was a pretty good kick from Johnno too. Tight angle and didn't have time to straighten the ball before he dropped it so he had to adjust with his foot.

Agreed. I was very happy when he started celebrating, because it was a very tough kick and under pressure - couldn't really tell if it had gone through on the TV either.

ratsmac
17-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I much, much, much, much, much, much, much prefer Josh up the ground. A marking forward is not his ideal position.

Totally agree, this is where we found him in the first place.