PDA

View Full Version : Brad Scott appointed coach of North

aker39
17-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Just annouced.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 04:54 PM
The question is did Hardwick knock them back as well as Horse and Bucks? All in all a good fit for North....

Happy Days
17-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Thats awkward for Crocker now surely?

Does he just step down and let Scott take over immediately or what?

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Tough for Darren, but a good appointment nonetheness.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2009, 05:48 PM
BT (not our BT) mentioned that he thought Brad Scott would get it over the weekend, rather than Hardwick who had been the media's most likely contender.

Looks like Hardwick will end up back at the Power now, to perhaps fill Choco's shoes in 2012.

bornadog
17-08-2009, 06:14 PM
BT (not our BT) mentioned that he thought Brad Scott would get it over the weekend, rather than Hardwick who had been the media's most likely contender.

Looks like Hardwick will end up back at the Power now, to perhaps fill Choco's shoes in 2012.

Richmond?

Sedat
17-08-2009, 06:18 PM
At the rate he keeps getting over-looked for senior coaching positions, it might end up being Choco Royal he follows in the footsteps of.

chef
17-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Thats awkward for Crocker now surely?

Does he just step down and let Scott take over immediately or what?

Wouldn't Scott see out the season at Collingwood.

bornadog
17-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't Scott see out the season at Collingwood.

Has been released from Collingwood to join North straightaway.

Sedat
17-08-2009, 06:47 PM
And the Collingwood assistant coach exodus has begun in earnest. Not much point hanging around for the next 5 years if you're an assistant coach with senior ambitions.

Buckley will no doubt hand-pick his own personal assortment of gophers, I mean, assitants.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 06:50 PM
And the Collingwood assistant coach exodus has begus in earnest. Not much point hanging around for the next 5 years if you're an assistant coach with senior ambitions.

Buckley will no doubt hand-pick his own personal assortment of gophers, I mean, assitants.
Should we go after Gavan Brown?

GVGjr
17-08-2009, 08:03 PM

As per normal policy. Good clubs will help the assistants to get jobs but then tell then to go straight away once they have been appointed.

North will be hoping for a Knights style recovery.

mjp
18-08-2009, 12:34 AM
I dont get this appointment at all.

What is (was) Scott's role at Collingwood? Since he didn't coach the VFL side, or the backs or the mids or the forwards...just what exactly DID he do?

Perhaps he spent most of his time polishing the 2hour presentation that supposedly won him the gig?

As an aside, would any other hiring managers out there let a candidate crap on for 2 hours about their plans? Wouldn't you want to run the session, see how they respond to things that they aren't expecting etc...just a wierd process. And don't get me started on the 3 years he was appointed for - at least one year too many. Sheer folly.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 08:57 AM

What is (was) Scott's role at Collingwood? Since he didn't coach the VFL side, or the backs or the mids or the forwards...just what exactly DID he do?

Perhaps he spent most of his time polishing the 2hour presentation that supposedly won him the gig?

As an aside, would any other hiring managers out there let a candidate crap on for 2 hours about their plans? Wouldn't you want to run the session, see how they respond to things that they aren't expecting etc...just a wierd process. And don't get me started on the 3 years he was appointed for - at least one year too many. Sheer folly.

2007 - Development coach
2008 - Opposition coach
2009 - Midfield coach

Bulldog Revolution
18-08-2009, 09:37 AM
2007 - Development coach
2008 - Opposition coach
2009 - Midfield coach

Reads like the start of a good assistant coaching resume

Super 27
18-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Good luck Scotty....Old St. Kevins boy.

Sedat
18-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Brad Scott is a PMP (Polished Media Performer). Poor old Dean Laidley was far too rough around the edges in front of the cameras to be considered a long-term AFL coach. Sure he thinks about 10 steps ahead of most other coaches, can structure up his team to withstand and compete fiercely against most opposition clubs, and has extracted every last drop of performance out of his playing list despite working with one hand tied behind his back, but the guys is as mad as a cut snake and can't string a sentence together without tripping up on his own tongue - that's what modern day coaching is all about :rolleyes:

Never was a massive Brad Scott fan as a player - let's not forget he was one of the chief instigators in derailing our 1997 finals campaign, when Hawthorn embarked on a deliberate ploy to rough us up at Waverley in Round 22, which resulted in the Dogs 'retaliators' (if you call wrestling retaliation), Dimma and Southern, being punished far in excess of their crimes on the day. My main hope with this announcement is that it might have an adverse effect on Collingwood's finals campaign, and that more talented assistants continue to leave the Collingwood ship because they are clearly wasting their time for the next 5 years.

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 12:29 PM
2007 - Development coach
2008 - Opposition coach
2009 - Midfield coach

I would presume this would be a scripted presentation with the content provided by the club. I see 2 hours as being on the light side if anything.

Details such as :

Analysis of the North List
Development of the List
Forward Plans Year 1, Year 2, Year 3
Game Plans
Structure of the Coaching Staff
Recommendations for recruitment of coaching staff
Involvement of sports sciences in team development
Analysis of Opposition teams
Implications of a compromised National draft
Dealing with the media
etc etc

If I was a member of the Selection Panel, I would want to see a response to these issues and more before making any decision.

Scraggers
18-08-2009, 02:02 PM
So what are North saying to Darren Crocker and the other assistant coaches at North ...

sorry guys, we would rather an assistant from Collingwood to run our club than one of you ...

I can understand if they went after an experienced coach, but not another untried assistant

:confused::confused::confused:

Happy Days
18-08-2009, 02:09 PM
So what are North saying to Darren Crocker and the other assistant coaches at North ...

sorry guys, we would rather an assistant from Collingwood to run our club than one of you ...

I can understand if they went after an experienced coach, but not another untried assistant

:confused::confused::confused:

The club stated that they were too 'north-centric' and wanted to get a non-North person to run things.

Scraggers
18-08-2009, 02:25 PM
The club stated that they were too 'north-centric' and wanted to get a non-North person to run things.

I think thats a cop out ... a good coach is a good coach

Why let Crocker apply if that is the case

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Its a crocker shit

mjp
20-08-2009, 12:52 AM
2007 - Development coach
2008 - Opposition coach
2009 - Midfield coach

Ummm - that is ONE year coaching, not three.

If you are the development coach when Alan Richardson is around, I think that means you are carrying a clipboard and getting coffee. Opposition coach is such an important role at Collingwood that the 'coach' part has been removed from the word.

I am not convinced on this.

Let the record show though, I have said that Voss can't string a sentance together and he seems to be winning a few games.