PDA

View Full Version : Smorgo? Our future in Melbourne?

LostDoggy
21-04-2007, 09:58 PM
I was listening to Smorgo last night and he was a little evasive about whether he will recommit to the Doggies as President again. Do we have a ready made replacement for him?
Is he likely to be replaced by someone as good?

One other thing, with the Roos being touted as likely to move up to the Gold Coast and get both salary cap and draft concessions will this like move the focus back onto us as I'm sure the AFL would like a team to eventually relocate to the Sydney market?
I think we are a lot stronger and more vibrant than we ever have been but are we in a position to keep increasing our sponsorship and membership so that we can start making solid operating profits?

BulldogBelle
21-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I was listening to Smorgo last night and he was a little evasive about whether he will recommit to the Doggies as President again. Do we have a ready made replacement for him?
Is he likely to be replaced by someone as good?

A few weeks back Smorgo was on 3AW and he did say that he will see at the end of the season whether he will stay on or not but made it clear to the fans that the reins will be handed over to the correct person whoever that may be. Hopefully, he decides to stay on.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2007, 11:25 PM
While he remains passionate, which he still very much is and has the time to contribute. I hope he stays on.

The Coon Dog
22-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I think the health of his wife Roz will play a major part in his decision & I would love to see him go on, but just get the feeling this season will be his last.

Of the current board who is the heir apparent?

bulldogtragic
22-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I think the health of his wife Roz will play a major part in his decision & I would love to see him go on, but just get the feeling this season will be his last.

Of the current board who is the heir apparent?
Alberti?

alwaysadog
22-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Alberti?

What's the current state of Sue's health? She's had her own battles.

Topdog
22-04-2007, 11:40 AM
I get the feeling that he will leave us. As for staying in Melbourne we keep getting stronger and stronger and with Cam at the helm I can't see this stopping any time soon. He has done wonders and the redevelopment of the WO will certainly help.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-04-2007, 05:14 PM
With both Smorgo and Cam at the helm, they have steered our ship well, and I hope both are around to guide our continued off field improvement.
If Smorgo decides he has other more pressing commitments then I trust that he will ensure that the person who steps into the role will be one who bleeds as much red white and blue as he does.

bornadog
23-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Heard Smorgo before the game on Friday night and he said our future is in Melbourne and with reoccuring income from the Whitten redevelopment, plus increase in membership, the finances can only get better.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2007, 03:18 PM
I worry that when (not if) North get shunted off to the Gold Coast there will be 7 non-Victorian teams and 9 Victorian teams.

I can see the AFL will want symetry and will start taking steps to make it 8 & 8. It would make TV shceduling and the draw more even.

aker39
23-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I worry that when (not if) North get shunted off to the Gold Coast there will be 7 non-Victorian teams and 9 Victorian teams.

I can see the AFL will want symetry and will start taking steps to make it 8 & 8. It would make TV shceduling and the draw more even.

That's easily fixed

Send the Hawks to Tassie

Raw Toast
23-04-2007, 05:35 PM

I've worried about that ever since you mentioned it to me. Are Melbourne worse off than we are atm? If we keep on improving off-field (and on?) then I think we are reasonably safe for at least the short-to-mid term.

GVGjr
23-04-2007, 06:01 PM
I've worried about that ever since you mentioned it to me. Are Melbourne worse off than we are atm? If we keep on improving off-field (and on?) then I think we are reasonably safe for at least the short-to-mid term.

My understanding is that Melbourne will never be in any danger as a club. The AFL will not want to lose that name in the Victorian market.

Raw Toast
23-04-2007, 06:29 PM
My understanding is that Melbourne will never be in any danger as a club. The AFL will not want to lose that name in the Victorian market.

Makes sense (perhaps unfortunately - don't want to see any club have to move but obviously would prefer it to be another if it's going to happen).

Twodogs
23-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Send the Dees interstate and promote Melbourne Victory to the AFL.

Problem solved.

Sockeye Salmon
24-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Then ship Melbourne off interstate and call us the Melbourne Bulldogs.

Your sincerely,
An Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs supporter.

alwaysadog
24-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Then ship Melbourne off interstate and call us the Melbourne Bulldogs.

Your sincerely,
An Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs supporter.

I too live a fair distance from the West but I'd hate us to lose that connection. If we need to the Western Melbourne Bulldogs is the most I'd come at. I wouldn't want to disregard our tradition and in any way confuse it with that of the silver spoons.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I get the feeling that we are in a 5 year game of musical chairs... I would hate to be one of Kangas, Dees, Dogs, Saints, Hawks if at the end of the current media deal one or two clubs are both financially still treading water, are on a downward slant formwise and membership wise... the AFL may remove a couple of chairs and force the issue prior to the negotiation of a new media deal.
Which makes it vital that we don't lose ground, and that we further build on the improvements we have seen in our on and off field fortunes.
If we can prove our sustainability to the league over the next few years then it would make it hard for the league to justify any moves to kill or relocate us.