PDA

View Full Version : ABC News report - Williams and Griffen out for Season, Is this true?

bornadog
17-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Just reported on ABC News? Any one heard anything?

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Theres an Article on Williams floating about his season 'in doubt'

Watching One week at a time..it might get a mention later..

:( Hope it's not true..

BulldogBelle
17-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Some guy with no sauce posted the Griffen rumour on our bigfooty board. That's the extent of what we know now. :(

If either or both are true that is extremely deflating. :(

AndrewP6
17-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Nothing on Fox Sports News..

EDIT : Still nothing...

AndrewP6
17-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Some guy with no sauce posted the Griffen rumour on our bigfooty board. That's the extent of what we know now. :(

If either or both are true that is extremely deflating. :(

Makes the pie taste awful ;)

lemmon
17-08-2009, 08:45 PM
If it is true I'd say any chance of anything serious eventuating out of this year is over.

chef
17-08-2009, 08:46 PM
If it is true I'd say anything serious eventuating out of this year is over.

I won't be giving up that easy.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 08:53 PM
http://abc.com.au/sport/afl/news/justin.htm

Nothing in the ABC news 'Just In' section as of yet

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 09:14 PM
What's Griff's injury?

bulldogsman
17-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I think the ABC news report said 'out for the remainder of the HOME AND AWAY season'.

Thats what i heard to

Throughandthrough
17-08-2009, 09:17 PM
What's Griff's injury?

Lack of peripheral vision when he has the Sherrin tucked under his arm.

lemmon
17-08-2009, 09:42 PM
What's Griff's injury?

Rocket said before the game it was some tightness in his back but it was reported in the HUN today that it was hamstring related and he would have scans.

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Rocket said before the game it was some tightness in his back but it was reported in the HUN today that it was hamstring related and he would have scans.

Thanks. I suppose the two can be related.

AndrewP6
17-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks. I suppose the two can be related.

Certainly can, back-related hamstring injuries aren't unusual..

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Certainly can, back-related hamstring injuries aren't unusual..

Is with me. I have a wonky back (broke it parachuting) and neck (car whip lash), and seems to work better NB lower back when I regularly stretch my hammies.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I believe the ABC report said Griffen and Williams out for the season, they didn't say home and away. It's odd that there is no other report of it.

The Pie Man
17-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Sheehan/Hird mentioned Tom being out tonight, but no mention of how long for or what with (i.e bruisng or an actual fracture)

This is giving me the sheets

bornadog
17-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I believe the ABC report said Griffen and Williams out for the season, they didn't say home and away. It's odd that there is no other report of it.

Thats what I heard

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Anything on Sports Tonight or "One" or whatever they bloody call Channel 10 now?

BulldogBelle
17-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Back related Hamstring would be 2-4 weeks I imagine

Hope Griff is back for the finals

AndrewP6
17-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Is with me. I have a wonky back (broke it parachuting) and neck (car whip lash), and seems to work better NB lower back when I regularly stretch my hammies.

Griff's injury has been variously reported as back tightness, and hamstring tightness. Tight hammies can cause the hips and pelvis to rotate, and hence cause the back "tightness". In your case, stretching the hamstrings would go some way to alleviating discomfort by "straightening" the back.

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Griff's injury has been variously reported as back tightness, and hamstring tightness. Tight hammies can cause the hips and pelvis to rotate, and hence cause the back "tightness". In your case, stretching the hamstrings would go some way to alleviating discomfort by "straightening" the back.

Ah ha, re rotation, that explains what my chiro does.

Thanks for that - shall be more diligent with stretching my hammies.

AndrewP6
18-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Ah ha, re rotation, that explains what my chiro does.

Thanks for that - shall be more diligent with stretching my hammies.

No probs...

BulldogBelle
18-08-2009, 12:56 AM
A report on our injured players, some good news Higgins is back...

Tom Williams setback bad break for Dogs (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25943438-19742,00.html)
Herald Sun |Mark Stevens | August 18, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Tom Williams had surgery on a broken foot yesterday and will be out for two to three weeks. And in another significant blow for the Dogs, Ryan Griffen's hamstring strain is serious enough to sideline him until the first week of the finals.

Coming on top of confirmation midfielder Daniel Cross will miss another week with an ankle injury, the Dogs' depth will be sorely tested in Friday night's Docklands blockbuster against Geelong.

Williams courageously played on in pain on Saturday night against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba after his left foot was stomped on in the first five minutes.

The break to a metatarsal was plated and the Dogs remain hopeful he will be back for the second week of the finals.

But it looms as an uphill battle for the desperately unlucky Williams, who missed last year's finals with a quad problem.

Click HERE (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25943438-19742,00.html) to read the remainder of the article...

The Pie Man
18-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for posting that BB - wonder why it took until this morning to come out in the media?

With Williamstown playing finals as well, I give Tom a chance of playing finals...if we can win one of the next two and fiish 4th that is.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks for posting that BB - wonder why it took until this morning to come out in the media?

With Williamstown playing finals as well, I give Tom a chance of playing finals...if we can win one of the next two and fiish 4th that is.

As do most of us, the only problem being the quality of football he will play when he gets back.

We have all seen over time that Tom takes a few games to adjust to the pace of the game when returning from injury. We will not have the luxury of easing him back if he returns for or during the finals.

bornadog
18-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Williams just can't take a trick. Does this open a spot for Tiller?

Bulldog Revolution
18-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Williams just can't take a trick. Does this open a spot for Tiller?

I think it does, but the disappointing thing for Tiller is he has had his injury problems himself this year

bornadog
18-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I think it does, but the disappointing thing for Tiller is he has had his injury problems himself this year

I wonder how he went on Sunday?

The Pie Man
18-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Willy report mentioned he had a strong first quarter, was the only mention he got. I'd like to see him in this week, though I doubt Eade will risk it (though he doesn't mind playing Welsh straight off injury, at least Tiller's had one game)

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Willy report mentioned he had a strong first quarter, was the only mention he got. I'd like to see him in this week, though I doubt Eade will risk it (though he doesn't mind playing Welsh straight off injury, at least Tiller's had one game)

Welsh missed 2 weeks this time and is a 200 game veteran whereas Tiller has missed more weeks and has less than 50 game.
I also don't think Tiller is required against Geelong but I would Like him available later on if Williams isn't.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I also don't think Tiller is required against Geelong but I would Like him available later on if Williams isn't.

We will need to bring in a defender this week regardless of size to pick up one of Chapman & Johnson. (assuming Morris & Lake take Mooney & Hawkins)

chef
18-08-2009, 10:54 AM
We will need to bring in a defender this week regardless of size to pick up one of Chapman & Johnson. (assuming Morris & Lake take Mooney & Hawkins)

One of either Callan or Tiller will come in this week

Remi Moses
18-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't get this ''uploading training'' method. Adelaide in 2005 were flying ,then they ''uploaded'' their training resulting in hammy injuries to players. Cost them majorly!Blimey worked for prof. Craig in 97,98 doesn't make it work a decade later.:eek:

Remi Moses
18-08-2009, 11:11 AM
A report on our injured players, some good news Higgins is back...

Tom Williams setback bad break for Dogs (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25943438-19742,00.html)
Herald Sun |Mark Stevens | August 18, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Tom Williams had surgery on a broken foot yesterday and will be out for two to three weeks. And in another significant blow for the Dogs, Ryan Griffen's hamstring strain is serious enough to sideline him until the first week of the finals.

Coming on top of confirmation midfielder Daniel Cross will miss another week with an ankle injury, the Dogs' depth will be sorely tested in Friday night's Docklands blockbuster against Geelong.

Williams courageously played on in pain on Saturday night against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba after his left foot was stomped on in the first five minutes.

The break to a metatarsal was plated and the Dogs remain hopeful he will be back for the second week of the finals.

But it looms as an uphill battle for the desperately unlucky Williams, who missed last year's finals with a quad problem.

Click HERE (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25943438-19742,00.html) to read the remainder of the article...

Probably on the money this article. No risk policy with Griffen and his Hammy me thinks

Sedat
18-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Shocking timing for Tom and for the Dogs. Creates an added problem in that he is notoriously rusty first game back from a spell - depending on the opposition on the day, we cannot afford to have him out of our structure but we will more than likely have to accept a limited return from his services in a crucial final.

The loss of Griffen is equally as untimely. Puts a massive burden on Gilbee and Harbrow to run the lines for us, not to mention Cooney who is not 100% either.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 11:50 AM
The loss of Griffen is equally as untimely. Puts a massive burden on Gilbee and Harbrow to run the lines for us, not to mention Cooney who is not 100% either.

It hurts me to say this, but the much maligned Eagleton really must carry his form on from Saturday night and provide us with run & carry and quality ball use more so than ever over the next few weeks.

Sedat
18-08-2009, 12:02 PM
It hurts me to say this, but the much maligned Eagleton really must carry his form on from Saturday night and provide us with run & carry and quality ball use more so than ever over the next few weeks.
Dogs supporters are nothing if not rational :D

His 'run and carry' type is already in short supply on our list prior to Griffen's loss, so we are going to have to ride the next month with the Eagle playing a crucial role in our structure. I hope the Brisbane game is a precursor to a sustained run of excellent from from the Eagle and he's put his 6 week flat patch behind him.

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Seventy six trombones led the big parade
With a hundred and ten cornets close at hand:D

Cyberdoggie
18-08-2009, 12:21 PM

I think the last 2 weeks Cooney has played the best footy he has played for the year. He seems to have his sprint back and is getting plenty of the footy.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Dogs supporters are nothing if not rational :D

His 'run and carry' type is already in short supply on our list prior to Griffen's loss, so we are going to have to ride the next month with the Eagle playing a crucial role in our structure. I hope the Brisbane game is a precursor to a sustained run of excellent from from the Eagle and he's put his 6 week flat patch behind him.

The pressure will be on the 'bald one' to perform, I hope he can because we need him to.

If he doesn't all hell could break loose.:D

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I think the last 2 weeks Cooney has played the best footy he has played for the year. He seems to have his sprint back and is getting plenty of the footy.

Yep, it's really noticeable.
Coondog is back!

Sedat
18-08-2009, 12:56 PM
The pressure will be on the 'bald one' to perform, I hope he can because we need him to.

If he doesn't all hell could break loose.:D
So it will either be a case of "we know exactly what we are going to get" or "we'll be pleasently surprised" :D

Go_Dogs
18-08-2009, 06:29 PM
So, any conclusive news regarding the injuries?

bornadog
18-08-2009, 06:36 PM
So, any conclusive news regarding the injuries?

Bulldog Griffen out for two weeks (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82958/default.aspx)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will be without midfielder Ryan Griffen and defender Tom Williams until at least the first week of finals.

Both players have injuries that have ruled them out for the rest of the home and away season, with Griffen straining his hamstring last Friday at training and Williams breaking his foot during Saturday night's clash with the Brisbane Lions.

Daniel Cross will also miss one more game with his ankle injury, but Shaun Higgins will return to face Geelong on Friday night after recovering from his hamstring strain.

Coach Rodney Eade said Williams' return would be dictated by his tolerance to pain following Monday night's operation.

"They have plated it which will give it extra strength so there won't be any more damage for him to run on it," Eade said. "It is just a pain issue now.

"They reckon the best-case scenario is he will miss two but more than likely three [weeks]."

He also doesn't know if the Dogs will be able to bring Williams straight into a finals side, given the amount of football the defender has already missed through injury this year.

"He played very well on Saturday night on a broken foot because he did it in the first 10 minutes," he said.

"To play the game out like he did and actually contribute was a great testament to his courage and strength, but I don't know [whether he can come straight back].

"He hasn't played a lot of footy so that's a question we'll have to answer in three weeks."

Williams has played 14 games in total this season after battling a foot problem.

Daniel Giansiracusa is also available for selection this round after overcoming a seven-week knee injury, but Eade says he is likely to come through the VFL.

Brad Johnson and Robert Murphy are expected to face the Cats despite picking up corked thighs on Saturday night.

Eade said the Bulldogs' extended stay in Queensland ahead of the weekend's win over the Lions had done wonders for his players' mental and physical state.

He also said Friday night's clash with Geelong was more about the Bulldogs building some positive form ahead of finals than seeking revenge for the Cats' round nine two-point win over his side.

"The motivating force for us is to try and win and get a top four spot," he said.

"You need to perform well against quality teams if you're going to perform well in September."

Go_Dogs
18-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the BAD.

baldeagle
18-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't get this ''uploading training'' method. Adelaide in 2005 were flying ,then they ''uploaded'' their training resulting in hammy injuries to players. Cost them majorly!Blimey worked for prof. Craig in 97,98 doesn't make it work a decade later.:eek:

listen mate hawks uploaded their training schedule last year and defeated the all conquering catters. so tell me that the upload didnt work on that occasion. i think eade knows what hes doing and doesnt need to take advice from someone like you

Remi Moses
18-08-2009, 11:26 PM
listen mate hawks uploaded their training schedule last year and defeated the all conquering catters. so tell me that the upload didnt work on that occasion. i think eade knows what hes doing and doesnt need to take advice from someone like you

Thanks for the advice. From someone like you:rolleyes:Now find a capital letter

bornadog
18-08-2009, 11:56 PM

The conditioning coach mapped out what is required at the start of the season. He is an Olympic triathlon coach (a successful one), so I guess we have to trust his judgement.

boydogs
19-08-2009, 01:39 AM
The conditioning coach mapped out what is required at the start of the season. He is an Olympic triathlon coach (a successful one), so I guess we have to trust his judgement.

Training for an olympic event on one day is different to managing player fitness through a football season, including being sharp for round 19 against WCE not just grand final day

Mantis
19-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Training for an olympic event on one day is different to managing player fitness through a football season, including being sharp for round 19 against WCE not just grand final day

Sharp physically or mentally?

All reports where that they players were not switched on mentally for the WC game and we paid the price.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2009, 09:17 AM

Do you think our fitness has gone backwards this season?

FWIW, I think we are certainly fit enough. Problem being that because of injuries in 2008, quite a number of guys didn't get to do all the work required over the pre-season. Overall I've been pretty happy with our ability to run out games.

bornadog
19-08-2009, 10:03 AM

So what are you saying, that Davoren doesn't know what he is doing?

Remi Moses
19-08-2009, 11:23 AM

All reports where that they players were not switched on mentally for the WC game and we paid the price.

Agree with that. Just worried about the soft tissue injuries

Topdog
19-08-2009, 12:47 PM

I don't know if you have noticed but there are more events for running then just the Olympics. They have their own seasons and they gear up everything to be at their peak during the Olympics. We should be doing everything possible to be at our peak during the finals.

Mofra
19-08-2009, 02:37 PM
As much as the lead up events do tax the body, I'd trust anyone who has coached athletes who can even finish the Hawahii Iron Man. I offer my ultimate respects to anyone who even qualifies for the event, let alone attempts, let alone finishes the thing.

I have been training fairly heavily for a year (swimming), have done a variety of military exercises in days gone by so I believe I have a fair degree of mental toughness for physical activity; I would barely finish the swim leg let alone in any sort of unembarrassing time. These guys then polish that off with what, 180kms on a bike & a marathon?

Anyone who can train athletes for that sort of punishment must have a fair degree of knowledge of contitioning and ongoing maintenance so I'll defer to Bill's judgement on physical coaching.

boydogs
20-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Wow lots of feedback to that one ;)

I think they go hand in hand a bit. If you are physically buggered your concentration is down

Do you think our fitness has gone backwards this season?

FWIW, I think we are certainly fit enough. Problem being that because of injuries in 2008, quite a number of guys didn't get to do all the work required over the pre-season. Overall I've been pretty happy with our ability to run out games.

No I wouldn't say that, just that we seemed to have an increased training load going by what Aker, Higgins and eventually Eade said, that appeared to affect our performance in a must win game

So what are you saying, that Davoren doesn't know what he is doing?

I'm just saying that being a successful olympic coach is different. I think perhaps he and the club got ahead of themselves planning for finals and took WCE too lightly. They beat us the first time around and we shouldn't have done extra training in the lead up to improve fitness in the finals just expecting to win, particularly with our injuries

I don't know if you have noticed but there are more events for running then just the Olympics. They have their own seasons and they gear up everything to be at their peak during the Olympics. We should be doing everything possible to be at our peak during the finals.

Including resting our best/injured/older players? My point is you still have to win and finish top 4 to be a chance, that has to come first

As much as the lead up events do tax the body, I'd trust anyone who has coached athletes who can even finish the Hawahii Iron Man. I offer my ultimate respects to anyone who even qualifies for the event, let alone attempts, let alone finishes the thing.

I have been training fairly heavily for a year (swimming), have done a variety of military exercises in days gone by so I believe I have a fair degree of mental toughness for physical activity; I would barely finish the swim leg let alone in any sort of unembarrassing time. These guys then polish that off with what, 180kms on a bike & a marathon?

Anyone who can train athletes for that sort of punishment must have a fair degree of knowledge of contitioning and ongoing maintenance so I'll defer to Bill's judgement on physical coaching.

No doubt, but if he is used to preparing his athletes for a single big event, and the club says get them ready for finals and use the 2 weeks before the WA games to get some miles in, throw in a couple of injuries and a much improved West Coast all of a sudden we are in trouble for a top 4 finish