PDA

View Full Version : Major announcement

bornadog
19-08-2009, 02:35 PM
1:21 PM Wed 19 August, 2009

Source (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/83033/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/WesternBulldogs_246b.jpg

The Western Bulldogs are pleased to announce they have re-signed a number of their up and coming stars beyond Season 2009.

Senior players Shaun Higgins, Will Minson, Callan Ward, Tom Williams, Andrejs Everitt, Dylan Addison, Jarrad Grant, Jarrad Boumann and Easton Wood have all re-committed to the Club.

This announcement follows Senior Coach Rodney Eade’s 2 year contract extension and is further evidence that the Western Bulldogs Football Club is a united force heading into the 2009 Finals Series.

“Shaun Higgins is widely regarded as one of the best young players in the competition, we continue to have faith in the ability of Tom Williams, while Will Minson has come on leaps and bounds this year. Callan Ward’s Rising Star nomination highlights what an outstanding talent he is, while we are confident that Andrejs Everitt, Dylan Addison, Jarrad Grant, Jarrad Boumann and Easton Wood will play a big part in the future of the Club,” General Manager of Football James Fantasia said.

The Western Bulldogs are working diligently to ensure the future prosperity of the Club and expect to announce further re-signings by the end of the season.

“The Club is very excited to make this announcement. These players represent the future of the Western Bulldogs and coupled with the fact that we have secured the services of Senior Coach Rodney Eade for a further two years, we are very confident that the direction the Club is currently moving in will ensure our long term success and sustainability,” Fantasia said.

The Club will not make any comment in regard to the terms of these deals.

Mofra
19-08-2009, 02:39 PM
No O'Keefe will have one thread in cataclisms.

Nice to annmounce a few signings at once - Higgins is massive, as is Tommyboy in warding off the marauding GC17 signature hunters.

Drunken Bum
19-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Great news, waiting on you now Brian ;)

Prince Imperial
19-08-2009, 02:43 PM
No Ryan Hargrave in this lot either.

jazzadogs
19-08-2009, 02:47 PM
So who does that leave uncontracted?

Lake, Hargrave, O'Keefe?

Desipura
19-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Interesting that Bou is the only player out of the lot not to have played a senior game as yet. It goes to show how highly they must rate his potential.

Mofra
19-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Interesting that Bou is the only player out of the lot not to have played a game as yet. It goes to show how highly they must rate his potential.
I like his body positioning & he's super quick for his size so I'm glad we're keeping him. Would be interesting to see who the Willy watchers think is more likely to make it out of him & Grant; it'd be line-ball for mine.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Interesting that Bou is the only player out of the lot not to have played a senior game as yet. It goes to show how highly they must rate his potential.
How much we all are in awe of his potential.

Sedat
19-08-2009, 02:53 PM
So who does that leave uncontracted?

Lake, Hargrave, O'Keefe?
Wayde Skipper, Cam Wight, Paul O'Shea, Mal Lynch, the 2nd year rookies as well (Shaw, Mulligan, White).

Sam Reid as well? Part of the class of 07, most of whom were part of this press release. He's an absolute keeper in my books.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 02:54 PM
How much we all are in awe of his potential.
Lake and Hargy...

I would have thought it would be a great time to re-sign and be a part of the excitement and momentum. Not thrilled by their absence at all.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Wayde Skipper, Cam Wight, Paul O'Shea, Mal Lynch, the 2nd year rookies as well (Shaw, Mulligan, White).
I wonder what almost of them have in common :)

comrade
19-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Akermanis, Eagleton and Welsh are un-contracted at the end of the year, are they not?

bornadog
Akermanis, Eagleton and Welsh are un-contracted at the end of the year, are they not?

No comment on Bou?:D

The Underdog
Lake and Hargy...

I would have thought it would be a great time to re-sign and be a part of the excitement and momentum. Not thrilled by their absence at all.

To be honest, most of these guys are at the lower end of the spectrum, money wise, so I think the older guys will be sorted out after the season, once its a bit clearer as to who is staying and going. I can't imagine Shaggy going anywhere but Lake is still the concern.

Desipura
19-08-2009, 02:59 PM
And I threw the bait out to Comrade as well! :D

Desipura
19-08-2009, 03:00 PM
correct

Go_Dogs
19-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Great news.

comrade
19-08-2009, 03:05 PM

Very pleased. :)

As you said Desipura, he’s the only one of that bunch not to have played a senior game so Rocket and the footy department clearly see something in him.

It’s a shame that Gotch doesn’t.

LostDoggy
19-08-2009, 03:06 PM
M27 is one very very happy person right about now...have struggled to get out of bed these past few days, but reading this has given me so much more energy...WOOOHOOOOO WILLYS STAYING WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Desipura
19-08-2009, 03:11 PM
M27 is one very very happy person right about now...have struggled to get out of bed these past few days, but reading this has given me so much more energy...WOOOHOOOOO WILLYS STAYING WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Dont mean to put you back in bed however all it means is if he does go to another club, it can only happen via a trade

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Dont mean to put you back in bed however all it means is if he does go to another club, it can only happen via a trade
Just increasing some trade vlaues :)

Only joking...

LostDoggy
19-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Great news. No Missy & Tommy for GC17 (suckers)
Interesting we've re-signed Everitt..seen a few mentions on the boards about him being trade bait..hope his footy improves from here, he can be handy down back..and maybe up forward.

Desipura
19-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Great news. No GC17 for Missy & Tommy.
Interesting we've re-signed Everitt..seen a few mentions on the boards about him being trade bait..
Peoples, they can still be trade bait

LostDoggy
19-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Peoples, they can still be trade bait

They can but would make them think twice if they have to payout a contract wouldn't it?

Desipura
19-08-2009, 04:10 PM
They can but would make them think twice if they have to payout a contract wouldn't it?
Perhaps it would, I do not believe Everitt would be on much money though. Also if a club really wants Everitt and offers us a good deal, we may choose to pay a part of his salary.
Having said that, it would not look good if we sign a player then 2 months later we agree to trade him.

Mantis
19-08-2009, 04:33 PM

And there I was believeing some dead-shit over on BF who told me that Boumann was getting the boot at the end of the year as he was a dud and had a shit attitude.

Geez he had me convinced.:rolleyes:

GVGjr
19-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Sam Reid not mentioned?
I was warned of this a few weeks back.

GVGjr
19-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Very pleased. :)

As you said Desipura, he’s the only one of that bunch not to have played a senior game so Rocket and the footy department clearly see something in him.

It’s a shame that Gotch doesn’t.

I actually think Gotch has been good for Boumann. He made him work for it and that seems to have been a success.

Mantis
19-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Sam Reid not mentioned?
I was warned of this a few weeks back.

One would think that if he was unhappy he would be waiting 1 year such that he could get traded to GC17.

Do you know of any other clubs who are interested?

The Underdog
19-08-2009, 04:43 PM
It'd be interesting to know the length of the contracts. I imagine most of the young un's would have got 2 years. Tommy is interesting though considering his injury history and would be interested to know how long Higgins got too.

Topdog
19-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Reid has been given a lot of opportunties this year (8 weeks really, just a shame he got injured). Next year you'd have to think one of Eagle or Aker will be gone at least. Plenty of spots in the team for him so I'm unsure why he wouldnt sign.

Sedat
19-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Reid has been given a lot of opportunties this year (8 weeks really, just a shame he got injured). Next year you'd have to think one of Eagle or Aker will be gone at least. Plenty of spots in the team for him so I'm unsure why he wouldnt sign.
Reid isn't competing for a place in the side with Eagle and Aker - he is really competing for a place in the midfield with the likes of Cross, Ward, Picken and Boyd.

Dry Rot
19-08-2009, 05:24 PM
So aside from the vets and Reid, Hargrave and Lake, who remains unsigned for next year?

And does anyone know whose contract expires next year? Are most of the side on 2 year deals so the rest of them would be out of contract then?

GVGjr
19-08-2009, 05:25 PM
One would think that if he was unhappy he would be waiting 1 year such that he could get traded to GC17.

Do you know of any other clubs who are interested?

It was his managers decision not to hold discussions during the latter part of the season.
My guess a lack of senior opportunities might have been an issue.

Topdog
19-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Reid isn't competing for a place in the side with Eagle and Aker - he is really competing for a place in the midfield with the likes of Cross, Ward, Picken and Boyd.

When Gia got injured, Reid was the one to come in for him.

If Aker goes, someone will replace his role and Reid could replace them.

chef
19-08-2009, 05:36 PM
So aside from the vets and Reid, Hargrave and Lake, who remains unsigned for next year?

And does anyone know whose contract expires next year? Are most of the side on 2 year deals so the rest of them would be out of contract then?

Griffen and Cooney.

azabob
19-08-2009, 05:55 PM
It was his managers decision not to hold discussions during the latter part of the season.

Can't blame the manager for that, as his interest is with Sam Reid.

You have to feel for the younger kids who get drafted to a stronger team, they spend more time in the reserves than in the seniors where if they were at a weaker club they most likely would be playing senior footy.

Hopefully Reid sticks around.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Do you know who manages Sam and Ryan?

Dry Rot
19-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Griffen and Cooney.

Thanks. I hope there's no dramas then.

chef
19-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks. I hope there's no dramas then.

You would think GC will throw a truck load of cash at them.

The Coon Dog
19-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Loved this comment on the Herald Sun website:

"I wonder if Tom Williams will be on the front page of the paper tomorrow now that he has resigned and won't go to the Gold Coast"

Posted by: Tom of Mornington 2:49pm today

Go_Dogs
19-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Well, surely that has changed now as he has been given some good opportunity. Perhaps his reason to wait was to ensure he had those opportunities to perhaps increase his value.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Reid and the club couldn't agree to a new contract as he seems like a good prospect for the future.

GVGjr
19-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, surely that has changed now as he has been given some good opportunity. Perhaps his reason to wait was to ensure he had those opportunities to perhaps increase his value.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Reid and the club couldn't agree to a new contract as he seems like a good prospect for the future.

I'm tipping he doesn't quite see it like that but my guess is that he will stay.

GVGjr
19-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Do you know who manages Sam and Ryan?

Most of the announcements today were Ricky Nixons boys (O'Keefe is in Nixons group as well)

Hargrave is also in Nixons group.

Griffen, Jones and Minson are with Craig Kelly.

Cordy, Cross, Boydy, Roughead, Callan and and Williams are all with IMG

Lynch, Skipper and Reid are with Stride

LostDoggy
19-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I reckon we'll lose Sam Reid to the GC. When does his current contract expire?

jazzadogs
19-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I reckon we'll lose Sam Reid to the GC. When does his current contract expire?
Certainly doesn't look promising...I guess it's a positive that he's getting an opportunity at the moment, but he has to look after himself. Not necessarily financially, but if he's not getting a game again next year I can't see any reason why he would stay.

Not that I want him to go.